Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayeren! (Armenian)

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Yes; it is true that there are two, and maybe more under those dialects, armenian dialects. Western armenian is based on the kind spoken in Istanbul (we call those armenians Bolsahye, Bolis is armenian for Constantinople/Istanbul, probably from greek "Polis" for city) and is spoken in the diaspora, whereas eastern armenian is based on the kind spoken in armenia, and is spoken there, and in Russia and Iran.

And even then, under western, you could say there is a lebanon accent, an istanbul accent (my grandfather has a really thick one, it is different than regular western for sure...), an Iraq accent, syrian, etc etc. It's almost impossible to say, but the one most taught is standard western, which is from istanbul.
    The only division, I think, in eastern, is between Iranian Armenians and the others. Russian armenians all basically come from armenia itself within the past 100-200 years, maybe most in the past 100 years, since Stalin and Beria (Beria especially) being Georgians, thought they could justify annexing armenia into georgia if they deported enough armenians out (to under 700,000).

If someone speaking western spoke to someone who only knew eastern, they might confuse each other at first, but in a short time could probably understand each other. I'll let you know when I get back from there in late July (I am going to help teach kids english and fix up some houses, and of course see the sights...)

Armenians in Armenia and Russia (those speaking eastern) also use a "soviet" alphabet with some different letters. Armenians in Iran and the diaspora use the original alphabet.

My family comes from Evereg-Fenesse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develi and my cousin's website: http://evereg-fenesse.org/_wsn/page2.html) which borders the turkish town of Develi. The other part of my family comes from a place near Sivas...one village called Ishan and the other Horuhoun (I can't spell it)...one of those was renamed Dozuglu or somesuch.

[quote=John I Tzimisces;1653986]Armenians in Armenia and Russia (those speaking eastern) also use a "soviet" alphabet with some different letters. Armenians in Iran and the diaspora use the original alphabet.
    [quote]

that is not correct, unless i misunderstood you.there is only one Armenian alphabet and as you know it wasnt changed much (wasnt change at all if you bear in mind that Mashtoz created it in V century) only 3 letters were added IIRC, and used by all Armenians in Armenia, former USSR etc.and talking of dialects and accents there are many accents that differ slightly from one county to another, and even within the same region from one village to another. we used to wander how come in such a small country you get such a diversity lol

I was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellin...uage_1922-1924

Done by the soviets in order to increase literacy.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    I was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellin...uage_1922-1924

Done by the soviets in order to increase literacy.
    oh, i see. thats Spelling yoo were talking of. it is indeed very different but you can still understand each other (eastern & western dialects) just need some practice my parents live on the eastern shore of black sea in Russia, Norethern cAucasus. and there are some local armenian spred around the coast from Adgaria through Abkhasia and up north into Russia. so the language they use is western armenian, coz they come from Western Armenia in Turkey during genocide. their ancestors settled in the area escaping form Young turks policies... but along side these armenians there is also lots of comers from Azerbaijan, Artsakh, who were forced to move from their settled places too, and some Armenians from Armenia itself. so as you can see it is some mix anyways, back to the topic. why i was saying all this. i was travelling by the train from county's capital once with my frien who is local (former Turkish) Armenian. and to our surprice we witnessed a scene when 4 Armenian women were talking Armenian to each other whilst 2 were using western other 2 were from Armenia and talked in Easter dialect. so they obviously had no problems understanding each other, even though some words sound very different and if you didnt hear ahother version before you would never guess what it means.there are some different names for the same subjects etc. but, if you used to the other dialect (lets just say if you know the sound of American english) you'll have a very few problems communicating. just need to know some exceptions and spelling differencesat the end the roots of the words are the same.

I have a few questions. Some people, when using English letters to make phonetic Armenian sounds, they sometimes use strange letters. I have seen some people use "w" for a "v" sound, so you would have Ghewond instead of Ghevond. Others use "x" to get a "kh" sound, so you would have Naxarar instead of Nakharar, and others use "c" for a "ts" sound. Any ideas as to why?
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I've seen a c' for the ts sound...no idea for the W, it seems pointless...the X used in transliteration for Kh is kind of a throwback to greeks using X to represent Chi which is a K sound...

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

heartbreaking news from the city of Malatya (hometown of Hrant Dink)

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...4BBC4DAD95.htm

and here is a clip i wanted to share with you

a friend send me this link... it's a clip with the kurdish singer Mahsun Kirmizigul (singing in turkish)...the song is great and the text he has written is great....notice the armenian guy speaking in the end....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2o5Nrgh7UU
    Last edited by Ermeni; April 20, 2007 at 04:37 AM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

My brothers, remember the 24th.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Speaking of the 24th, what happened to your families? I'm curious.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post

Speaking of the 24th, what happened to your families? I'm curious.
    good question.....I'm also curious

Start with your story Drtad

(i have written my story on page 2)
    Last edited by Ermeni; April 30, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Hello everybody!

I'm glad to find Armenian Thread here.
    Sorry for my English grammar (it isn't perfect).

Originaly my mothers side are from Eastern Armenia, Van city (nowday Turkey). I don't want to go into details how they luckly survived, the story is VEEEERRRRYYYYY blody....
    My fathers side is from Western Armenia.

I'm born in Yerevan and left in Sayat-Nova Avenue, but 7 years ago we moved to Sweden.

BTW: generaly I talk Western Armenian, but like more sound of Eastern Armenian, there is more melody in Eastern Armenian dialect. Back in Armenia in school we had a school subject Eastern Armenian lenguage (Grabar/Grapar) and I remamber that on the lections we HAD to talk talk, read and learn stuff in Eastern Armenian Dialect...

Anyways I'll be offen here, so one more time nice to se you all
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

General George S. Patton Jr.

Eastern\Armenian historical advisor for RomaSurrectum
    Historical Consultant for The Sicilian Vespers

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

I forgot to say, if you like sport then visit Xtratime Forum, Armenian Football Section http://www.xtratime.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=260
    I'm a old mamber of the Armenian Section there
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Armenian Online Translator:

Text, word tarnsation, Armenian to English, English to Armenian.

http://www.translator.am/EN/Translate.html

This ia a gift from me to Armenian Learning Mambers of this forum...

barev hayer. inchpesek?

Im the guy that does the translations for EB

The western armenian that we know today began forming during the cillica period. If you notice, there are distinct sounds in the armenian language that do no exist in western armenian. for example in western armenian we say "kirk -book" and "kanon -ruler (like a measuring stick)" Now the first letter of these two words make the same sound in western armenian the "k" sound, but are not written with the same letter. In eastern armenian we say girk for book and kanon for the ruler.

It comes down to this: basicly in eastern armenian all of the sounds that are present in the armenian language are present they have been presereved ( now whe i say presereved i dont mean that the speakers of western armenian couldnt preserve it, but that is how languages evolve)

For example the letter we use to write the work janj does not make a j sound it makes this one sound that i can not express it with latin alphabet and cilicia being close with the europeans droped the distinctive armenian sounds and sorta "latinized" the language

now the grammer has changed for eastern armenian ( i dont mean the armenian letters!) for western armenian it is the original style.

Hello everybody! barev hayer. inchpesek?

I'm glad to find Armenian Thread here. I am with you, my brothers.

Jan Hayastan

Hey guys.
    Aren't u happy of our victories in the last few Euro qualifiers, notably against Poland (a.k.a. Lehastan)

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Hey guys.
    Aren't u happy of our victories in the last few Euro qualifiers, notably against Poland (a.k.a. Lehastan)
    I'm thrilled especially after the win over Poland....now we must take the azeris...

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

DAVID73

Sure we are, better I'm not gonna start to talk about football otherwise it can take a looong time for me to stopp.
    BTW if you want to talk about football then better do it here http://www.xtratime.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=260

Quote Originally Posted by Ermeni View Post
    I'm thrilled especially after the win over Poland....now we must take the azeris...
    A dangerous proposition, when Armenia wins they'll say we cheated and use it as an excuse to start another war...

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    A dangerous proposition, when Armenia wins they'll say we cheated and use it as an excuse to start another war...
    LoL.....well let them give it another shot....