Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Default Re: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Speaking of dialects, what dialect do you guys speak? I happen to speak Western Armenian fluently since I am in the diaspora but after my memorable Armenia trip I fell in love with the Eastern dialect. (though not nearly as much as the woman I fell in love with) And I am trying very hard to learn the Eastern one. I think that playing Europa Barbarorum for RTW really helps your skills for that.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Speaking of dialects, what dialect do you guys speak? I happen to speak Western Armenian fluently since I am in the diaspora but after my memorable Armenia trip I fell in love with the Eastern dialect. (though not nearly as much as the woman I fell in love with) And I am trying very hard to learn the Eastern one. I think that playing Europa Barbarorum for RTW really helps your skills for that.
    Speaking of dialects, what dialect do you guys speak?
    I'm learning the western Armenian dialect (to slow)

after my memorable Armenia trip I fell in love with the Eastern dialect. (though not nearly as much as the woman I fell in love with)
    how did that turn out =

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy13 View Post
    I just don't try. There are to many words that can be pronounced differently according to which dialect one speaks and which letters one chooses to use for English.
    There is standardized transliteration. I can read most text (I am unsure which font this board supports, it is the same as wikipedia's) but hell if I understand it half the time

I mix up the dialects because I'm still learning, and I don't know it well enough, then started playing EB and I happen to know hayasdantsis here at my school...meanwhile my grandpa speaks hardcore western, apparently. Family is from sebastia...

You're from Sebastia? Cool. My origins go back to Shabin-Karahissar and Samsun, two cities which have never been Armenian.

@Ermeni: That question is a bit personal , but since you asked, it was somebody who was in the same tourist group as I was. I was going to make a move when I realized she was not exactly the most intelligent or friendly person on the block, which turned me off.
    Last edited by Drtad; April 04, 2007 at 01:36 PM.

Icon6 Re: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Parev all,

I am really happy to see this thread. I baaarely speak armenian, except a couple choice phrases and I can count in it. I live in a america and have a verrry prominant Armenian Last name. My brother and I are very interested in learning armenian, but haven't had a lot of luck finding resources to do so.

It would be awesome as there is a pretty big armenian population right where we live here in California.

-Hagop

Hi Hagop and welcome to the forums!

I speak Western Armenian, but I'm sure that I'd be able to speak Eastern Armenian after a trip to Armenia. Montreal's Armenian population is mostly Western Armenian, as opposed to Los Angeles. That is why Eastern Armenian speakers speak Western Armenian with me.

I could help Hagop

I find it sad that the LA Armenian community is so large, and yet, there are more people who don't speak Armenian. Those who do don't use it socially.

It isn't the case here.

Nope. The largest minority in Iran is Azeris, that is why Iran wants Armenia to be able to hold off a possible Azeri attack. Iran is afraid of a Pan-Azeri empire of some sort being attempted.
    Yes, but the Armenians are the largest non-Muslim minority. We're more numerous than Assyrians, Jews, Christian Iranians, etc. We've also made a lot of contributions to Iranian society.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    You're from Sebastia? Cool. My origins go back to Shabin-Karahissar and Samsun, two cities which have never been Armenian.

@Ermeni: That question is a bit personal , but since you asked, it was somebody who was in the same tourist group as I was. I was going to make a move when I realized she was not exactly the most intelligent or friendly person on the block, which turned me off.
    haha ok.....

you guys can consider yourselfs lucky....i've seen only one armenian girl in my entire life! (of course not including family memebers) one Armenian guy (beirutsi) claimed that i would be better of without them.....i damned him for those heretical words...

oh and i have another question for all of you......what's the armenian word for the title duke....you know like== the duke of tarsus and stuff like that?

The Armenian word for duke is touks (WA) or douks (EA).

If you want to say prince, it's ishkhan.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    The Armenian word for duke is touks (WA) or douks (EA).

If you want to say prince, it's ishkhan.
    tx

So does anyone know of a good resource to start learning Armenian? Online, book, tape or otherwise? I assume most here have probably learned from their parents. Unfortunately my grandfather for some reason, just felt it wasn't necessary to pass on the heritage. So daily I am finding so much out about the Armenian Culture, just not the language. I am sure I would find out much more if I could break that invisible barrier. The only thing truly Armenian that I am able to do is cook, and cook Armenian. In fact it is one of my favorite past times. Nothing quite like a nice Kufta, or huge pan of Dolma .
    Who says genetics has no barring on your life

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

I remember using a very good program that not only taught the language, but also the culture and history.

I don't remember what it's called, but John might.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Kristos Haryale Merelotz! Christ is risen from the dead!

Ornyale Harootyoonuh Kristosee! Blessed is the Resurrection of Christ!

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroctonus View Post
    I remember using a very good program that not only taught the language, but also the culture and history.

I don't remember what it's called, but John might.
    Discover Armenian is the one St. Nersess uses and the one I own. It's pretty good but a tad pricey. Or was...

That's the one. For some reason I kept thinking it was called 'Learn Armenian'

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

i wish all of you a happy eastern

shenorhavor soorp zadig (wa) ...(did i get that right?)

Thanks for the heads up.. I checked out their website and was going to purchase it, but it seems their order link is messed up. I emailed them.. hopefully they will get back to me.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

barev to everyone again.....i have questions considering armenian cilicia / cilician armenia which one is correct.....i see that many (manyyy) say cilician armenia but i think it's wrong

my english isn't perfect but i'll try to explain this:

cilicia was armenian = Armenian Cilicia
    armenia was cilician (sounds strange huh?) = Cilician Armenia

am i making any sense?

would like some confirmation

also one bonus question what's the armenian name for our kingdom in cilicia?

Quote Originally Posted by Ermeni View Post
    barev to everyone again.....i have questions considering armenian cilicia / cilician armenia which one is correct.....i see that many (manyyy) say cilician armenia but i think it's wrong

my english isn't perfect but i'll try to explain this:

cilicia was armenian = Armenian Cilicia
    armenia was cilician (sounds strange huh?) = Cilician Armenia

am i making any sense?

would like some confirmation

also one bonus question what's the armenian name for our kingdom in cilicia?
    Yes, I advised Chivalry Total War to change the name from Cilician Armenia to Armenian Cilicia just for this reason, it makes no sense, the Cilicians never came to Armenia . In Armenian, I believe it is:

Kilikioh Haikakan Takavorootiunuh

Literally meaning, Cilicia's Armenian Kingdom, sort of an idiomatic statement.

Response to Troll edited out -JIT
    Last edited by John I Tzimisces; April 11, 2007 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroctonus View Post
    No idea what that says. Care to clarify?
    He calls names, and says very bad things. If someone says above things in a Turkish street to somebody, you can bet there will be a fist-fight or murder. I am sorry to see that, it is bad thing to say.

Besides, I am a Turk from Merzifon (Merzivan/Marzifan) of Amasya in Turkey. Is there any Armenian from Merzifon in this forum? I know there was a sizeable Armenian community at there before Techir. There is still an Armenian church there.

Is it true that there are two main Armenian dialects/languages? Can these people understand each other easly?

Regards,
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf