Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

nice thread......must admit i can't speak any armenian.....my father came from eastern turkey (to sweden) in the 80:s so we speak kurdish and turkish .... i'm also learning armenian though slowly.....i know some basic stuff.....i've spent a lot of time reading about the culture, history and stuff like that but haven't yet been able to study the language as i would like too.....

ey guys.....is there not someone of you who are interested in making a cilician armenia mod to medieval 2.....I'm a noob (not even a noob yet) when it comes to modding but would try to help......well it would be really cool
    Last edited by John I Tzimisces; March 13, 2007 at 02:24 PM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Hayeren! (Armenian)

Quote Originally Posted by Ermeni View Post
    nice thread......must admit i can't speak any armenian.....my father came from eastern turkey (to sweden) in the 80:s so we speak kurdish and turkish .... i'm also learning armenian though slowly.....i know some basic stuff.....i've spent a lot of time reading about the culture, history and stuff like that but haven't yet been able to study the language as i would like too.....
    Yah same here, though I speak Russian, not Turkish. My family's from Baku, so really only my grandparents know armenian, though my mom understands it.

I think comrade John was making a Cilicia mod, but I don't know what happened to it.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

It died slowly because I can't do an entire mod by myself, I am too busy in school.

When more mods come out I will be sure to pick one I like and work off that I am sure.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    It died slowly because I can't do an entire mod by myself, I am too busy in school.

When more mods come out I will be sure to pick one I like and work off that I am sure.
    whyyyyyy:hmmm: it's a pity ......

want someone to make your homework

Ermeni,

There are Armenians in Eastern Turkey today that hide their identity and practice Christianity privately (unlike those in Istanbul who don't hide their identity).

You must be one of those.

Do you still have relatives in Eastern Turkey today? Which region do you come from, exactly?

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Ermeni,

There are Armenians in Eastern Turkey today that hide their identity and practice Christianity privately (unlike those in Istanbul who don't hide their identity).

You must be one of those.

Do you still have relatives in Eastern Turkey today? Which region do you come from, exactly?
    hi reaper.......my roots are from the city harput/xarput(elazig)......we fleed from harput approximately 100 years before the genocide after problems with muslims....(someone in my family killed someone)

then they went to sassoun and then 20 or 30 years before the genocide they moved to fendek (found this about fendek some days ago : http://ermeni.org/turkce/vkayutyun.p...lng=eng&nmb=21

and then during the genocide my grandfathers father fled from fendek to a small village outside of cizire/djezire (only survivor)........he didn't dare to speak Armenian but my grandfather tells me that when he had nightmares he spoke Armenian and when he prayed.....my grandfather also changed his identity from Armenian to Suryani (syriac) through bribe and simply because it was extremely dangerous to be armenian

then after problems with the Kurds my family moved to the city dargecit(turkish name) (near mardin - midyat)......here many Armenians (registered as surjani/syriacs just like my family) and syriacs lived.....but in the 80:s kurds came from "everywhere" destroying everything .....after the murder of a prominent Armenian leader (who was the muhktar/mayor) every Christian left the city for Europe.......must mention that the mayors family who left for germany avenged the murder some years later and killed the kurdish leaders son!...revenge can be sweet

i have family in norhern syria (al-qamishli and al malikyah) and in iraq (zakho and mosul) and also armenian (though distant) family in turkey but they became muslims and moved to adana...my fathers cousins visited them 10 years ago....though some of the their family members was on the hadjj

i tried to answer as exactly as i could...

and yep there are tons of Armenians in eastern turkey......they hide their identity just as my family did..........in the city of Adiyaman....hundreds of families have convert back to Christianity....a Syriac bishop was installed there last year ( many of these families are armenian but still they register themselves as syriacs and who can blame them!)

we still have land in turkey.... in the mardin vilayet)....my father receives 2-3 letters per year demanding that he freely will give up his Turkish citizenship and all his rights ( but we won't) he can't go back their because he have not done military service....(or he could pay like 20 000 euros)

many relatives have done military service in turkey....some of the stories are very unpleasant...especially my grandfathers who almost got killed when they found out that he was Armenian.....but that's another storie and i have been writing like for ever now.......

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Thanks for the story Ermeni. Hopefully more Armenians will reveal their identity...
    no problem.....and i also hope that our brother and sisters in eastern turkey will be able to reveal their true identity .....may god be with them

Totally off topic, but I heard somewhere today that the Armenian ending -ian was borrowed from Iranian. Is this true. I know that Armenian was very heavily influenced by Persian, so it could be true.
    In Patronicum sub Seleukos.

I am the living death
    The memorial day on wheels
    I am your yankee doodle dandy
    Your John Wayne come home
    Your Fourth of July firecracker
    Exploding in the grave -- Ron Kovic

Totally off topic, but I heard somewhere today that the Armenian ending -ian was borrowed from Iranian. Is this true. I know that Armenian was very heavily influenced by Persian, so it could be true.
    I've heard it too, but I'm not sure about it..
    In fact, some non-Armenian Iranians have family names ending with -ian.
    Last edited by Nihil; April 02, 2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: removed reference to off-topic discussion

SickBoy13's Avatar Ordinarius

Blaven, I'm not too sure about that theory, merely because -Ian is a Latin alphabet translation and Armenian is nothing like any of the Latin alphabet using languages.
    Still, I know there is considerable Persio-Armenian diffusion. In fact, my father's family fled to Persia, while my mother's family fled to Jerusalem.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaven View Post
    It could be the other way around (as we suspect in the case of the Goddess Anahita in the ancient persian-armenian pantheon...IE goddess that is in both pantheons, but is hugely venerated in one and very much less so in the other) especially when you consider nearly every armenian last name ends in -ian (unless they are given a turkish or other foreign name due to a certain silly law) and only a few Persian last names end in -ian (I know a few).

Also, Odenat, do not troll this thread, we're staying out of turkish language thread, this is certainly not the place for such petty political conversation.

Yes guh gardzem vor Hovhannesuh jisht eh, yev kani muh Barsigner Haikakan anoun aradz en eerents hamar.

I think that John is correct, and a few Persians have taken an Armenian style name as their own. Just to keep the thread on topic.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

This thread is about the Armenian language. Any further attempts to derail it will be taken seriously and will result in penalties. I'm going to delete some off-topic material.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

Those Iranians with the -ian ending most likely have Armenian roots (there are a lot of Armenians in Iran). How are the relations between the two countries? Is there any "brotherhood" type feeling between the two people, given how close you two were in history? I find Armenian related stuff interesting, so I'm curious.
    In Patronicum sub Seleukos.

I am the living death
    The memorial day on wheels
    I am your yankee doodle dandy
    Your John Wayne come home
    Your Fourth of July firecracker
    Exploding in the grave -- Ron Kovic

Armenia and Persia were basically culturally the same (not counting language!) before A. Armenians becoming christian and B. the development of an armenian alphabet. After that point the two started to diverge...

Armenia and Albania (what is now the nation of azerbaijan and including the azerbaijan region of Iran) culturally begin to diverge with Islam entering the region by force and culminated with the turkish presence (azeri is a turkic language and is generally intelligible with turkish I think).

Armenia is a bit of a relic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaven View Post
    Those Iranians with the -ian ending most likely have Armenian roots (there are a lot of Armenians in Iran). How are the relations between the two countries? Is there any "brotherhood" type feeling between the two people, given how close you two were in history? I find Armenian related stuff interesting, so I'm curious.
    Heemah, Hayasdanuh yev Barsgasdanuh shad modig en vorovhedev Hayasdanuh Azerbaijaneen tushnameen eh, yev Azerbaijanuh Barsgasdaneen tshnameenuhn eh. Ador hamar, Barsigneruh goozen vor Hayasdanuh zoravor tarnah yev eenkn eeren bashdbaneh. Yeteh Azerbaijanuh shad zoranah, Barsgasdanuh guh vakhnah, vor beedee portseh miatsnel ampokhch Azeri joghovoortuh yev Barsignerooh vurahn guh hartsageeh.

Right now, Armenia and Persia are very close, because Armenia is Azerbaijan's enemy and Azerbaijan in Persia's enemy. So, the Persians want to strangthen their ties to Armenia and make them stronger, so that Armenia can defend itself from attack. If Azerbaijan gets too powerful, Persia would get afraid that the Azeris would try to create some sort of Pan-Azeri empire and invade Persia and take Media Atropatene, where a lot of Azeris (10 million?) reside. It is really difficult to write Armenian with English letters.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Armenia and Iran do maintain strong diplomatic ties.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Right now, Armenia and Persia are very close, because Armenia is Azerbaijan's enemy and Azerbaijan in Persia's enemy. So, the Persians want to strangthen their ties to Armenia and make them stronger, so that Armenia can defend itself from attack. If Azerbaijan gets too powerful, Persia would get afraid that the Azeris would try to create some sort of Pan-Azeri empire and invade Persia and take Media Atropatene, where a lot of Azeris (10 million?) reside. It is really difficult to write Armenian with English letters.
    Yes, Iran and Armenia, since the late Soviet times, have had very strong relations with each other. Just recently they opened up an oil pipeline between the two nations.

I also believe that Armenians constitute the biggest minority in Iran.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Nope. The largest minority in Iran is Azeris, that is why Iran wants Armenia to be able to hold off a possible Azeri attack. Iran is afraid of a Pan-Azeri empire of some sort being attempted.

SickBoy13's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    It is really difficult to write Armenian with English letters.
    I just don't try. There are to many words that can be pronounced differently according to which dialect one speaks and which letters one chooses to use for English.