Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

Default Re: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

Lusted this is by far the BEST MOD I have ever played in RTW. So much better than RTR.
    I hail you...i sincerely hope that you continue to work for the community, because we truely do appreciate great minds such as yourself working hard for us. This mod rocks my world!!!
    Although it could use some more variations in units for different factions, but other than that the romans are fun to play with =).

Lusted, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this game so much better. Finally the game is more of a challenge, finally the units feel good... everthing is just better. This mod has made me start from nothing all over again and working my way up (with a lot more fun) to domination. Thank you very much for this great and wonderful mod Lusted (and anyone who collaborated with Lusted in making this mod of course )
    Der Kaiser
    ΑΩ

This is definitely an excellent mod, great work Lusted. Beautiful expanded map, great skins and new units, fun battles -- this really is what vanilla should have been, it's a joy to play. I love some of the details you have put in here; for example I'm playing a Scythian campaign and the Crimea has become a little mini-campaign in itself, since you have 3 separate cities on the pennisula and two of them are Greek colonies loaded with hoplites -- difficult prizes to capture for a horse warrior culture. Very nice historical detail that really brings the world to life. I'm playing the Arbortoreum (sp?) mod of TE, since I prefer more historical faction expansion, and I also do miss AOR, but overall this is a beautiful piece of work.

One thing I noticed while reading through the thread:

Well ever unit has had their morae increased by 15 from vanilla RTw, some more so like the spartans, so is still a big difference in the morale of some units.
    The problem with this method is that you're leveling out the range of morale ratings, bringing them all closer to each other. If you want to preserve the relative morale ratings unit to unit, you'd have to multiply the ratings, not add to them. For example multiply all of them by 2 (or 1.5, or whatever works best), and the relative range of morale across units would stay the same, but each would be less likely to panic.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Ah but you see, doing that makes the range too great(believe me, i've tested). Increasing all units morale by 15 means that there is still the same difference in morale between units, but they now fight much longer in battles, but with a still noticeable difference between the elite and militia units morale.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Increasing all units morale by 15 means that there is still the same difference in morale between units
    But that's my point, it doesn't keep the same range. Say you have two units, one with a morale of 5, and one with a morale of 15. The second unit has 3 times the morale value of the first. But if you add 15 to each, you end up with morale values of 20 and 30 -- suddenly the better unit's morale is only 1.5 times as high, rather than 3 times as high, so you've decreased the gap between them.

But if instead of adding 15, you multipied each by 2, you'd end up with 10 and 30 -- and preserve the relative gap between them.

But maybe you don't WANT to preserve vanilla's relative morale values -- you could certainly argue that a big bump across the board just makes the game more fun, and so far about 6 hours into my Scythian campaign, I would agree -- it's hard to get units to panic, but it can be done.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; October 18, 2006 at 09:07 AM.

The range may not be the same, butt he difference in morale is, a skirmisher unit which had a morale of 4 and now 19 srill has 6 less than an elite unit which had a morale of 10 and now 25. I can see what you are saying, but the way i have done it leads to much more balanced battles.

EDIT: Yup, you got exactly what i was aiming, keeping the same difference, but making the factor difference in morale less as it were, so things are tougher but keeping a noticeable distinction between militia and elite units.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Makes sense, Lusted -- ultimately we have to go by how the game plays, not how the numbers plug into a calculator!

Hey, do you know what 'hardy' and 'very hardy' do for a unit?

By the way, I have to congratulate you on a little piece of genius - I love the way that you give the Scythians some good tough infantry, but make it more expensive than their cavalry. Allows the player to field infantry when he needs to, but encourages him to use mostly horsemen, just like in reality. Very nice. My Scythian faction has two field armies of horsemen only to protect my perimeters, while a siege army with a strong infantry contingent is subduing the local rebel towns to my banner.

Well you'd have to thank Ca really for the unit costs, the ones in TE are the default ones increased to 7/4ths.

Hardy and very hardy have something to do with stamina, though im not sure exactly.
    Creator of:

Oh, one more thing: one of the Warband units has the peasant unit card. They're located in the northern regions just above Scythian territory.

Is it the amazon chariots?
    Creator of:

No, not chariots, it's either spear warband or archer warband, located in a rebel city in the northern forests.

Hmmm, probably one i forgot to change when i consolidated some of the unit entries for 5.0
    Creator of:

Well that was a HORRIBLE oversight on your part! Lazy work!

Just kidding, I love this mod, you really knocked it out of the park and it has re-addicted me to the game.

Katrina's Avatar Brrrrrrr...

Well, after playing your mod, I must say that your roman skins were actually really accurate and pretty kick ass if I do say so myself. Great job, indeed.

Thanks katrina, im glad you like my mod.
    Creator of:

G Rider's Avatar Tiro

Flilefront link for v5.0 in the other thread doesn't work at filefront. Filefront link for 5.1 patch works.

Where can I download v5.0?
    I'm not interested in winning an argument with a moron on the Internet. - G Rider

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G Rider View Post
    Flilefront link for v5.0 in the other thread doesn't work at filefront. Filefront link for 5.1 patch works.

Where can I download v5.0?

Try this mirror created by iamphet

Just out of interest I have uploaded it to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4ZOY22Y

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Just thought I'd stop by and say how much I love this mod. Two thumbs up!

Is there any link to where i can see the new skins or something? Maybe a screenshot topic i'm not seeing?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Lusted's skins or Ferres' skins for Romans? Lusted's come with the v5.0. Candelarius added the Ferres skins in his minimod. For screenshots, they are probably archived as old as they are.