Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: 5.0 Feeback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaweh K.
    I'm going to upload a TE 5.1 CE right after the 5.1 patch is released.

It will include:
    - rewamped strat.txt so AI factions expand more realisticly
    - Landbridges (Italy-Sicily, Street Of Gibraltar)

This two features make AI factions expand more realisticly, e.g. Carthage really has invaded Spain in my campaign, and Rome and Carthage are fighting for Sicily.

- New icons and banners (menu, strat map and battle) made by me
    - Edited loading screens
    - reduced brigand and pirate spawn rate
    - mines have more income bonuses

So you just have to wait a bit to try it out. Or you could be a beta tester, and I'll uplaod the files for you.

K.K
    Sweet! will that patch be different from the one released by Lusted?

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: 5.0 Feedback thread

Just downloaded this today, first time playing any version. I have to say it's very impressive and I'm looking forward to the next patch.

My only gripe is changing Egypt to the ptolemaios, they are just too alike to the seleucids, armenians etc. Phalanxes get boooring, I want my old Egyptians back

After playing intitial 10 years of Thrace, Greek Cities, and Macedon. I think that Macedon needs another infantry unit to recruit. Both Thrace and Greek Cities have a "flexible flank" infantry unit to complement their phalanx units unlike Macedon with the exception of Mercenaries. How about a blacksmith recruitable swordsman unit? or earlier recruitment of Thureophoi at the minor city.

Thanks Lusted for a great mod. Also, I would like permision to mod export_units.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well Macedon is a phalanx faction, and really a swordsmen unit wouldnt be all that great, and the AI might not use it right. Thrace and the Greeks have those other non phalanx units because of really their location and history.

Oh, and you dont need permission to mod a file, just permission to publicly release your modded files.

Just started a game with Carthage and ive noticed two things that (may) need looked at. First, the Sacred band cant phalanx as it says they should on their unit card, (fixed this myself as i assume most people can,so not a huge deal).... Second, and this is subjective, but Iberian Infantry Vs Scutarii, Yes i see why Iberian Infantry cost less to recruit and can be recruted in smaller settlements as they are inferior in every way to Scutarii what i dont understand is why in that case Iberian Infantry cost more to maintain than scutarii. Its 224 per turn for Iberian Infantry Vs 184 for Scutarii, now there might be a reason behind this but it just struck me as a lil' strange so i thought i'd bring it to your attention.

Just a heads up from a thankful fan

the sacred band and other hoplites arent supposed to be able to form a phalanx. its their unit cards that are wrong. i think thats right.
    <[humans are greedy...therefore they are human]>

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The Sacred band and all the hoplite units, apart from iphikratides hoplitai, are not meant to form phalanx, it is an error with the unit descriptions. Macedon has the Thurephoroi as flanking troops, they are meant to be a primarily phalanx based nation, a lack of flanking infantry is meant to be their main weakness. Sid Burn, Kaweh K will release his 5.1 CE after i have released 5.1.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Ah ok, i'll ignore the unit card from now on but i may keep the change i made untill i get 5.1 installed and then just switch to Poeni Infantry (slightly cheeper) as it wont be long for 5.1 ... Now as for Iberian Infantry Vs Scutarii as in terms of thier maintanace costs (224 vs 184 per turn) am i missing something there too?

If so i may think up something else to be wrong about i could be on a good streak here and 3 for 3 would be nice

I'm betting on a good run of bad luck
    lol
    Last edited by JCaesar316; June 21, 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Well given the fact that Scutarii cost twice as much as Iberian infantry i think it helps balance them out.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Ah, makes sense i guess, seems fair...Then i'll just think of Iberian Infantry as cheap to raise militia force that you might raise to boost an armys or garrisons numbers in times of crises, but troops which you might not deem worthy of keeping around in a standing army gaining experince (Given the choice)

Now about that 3 for 3 thing :original:

Cheese is a kinda meat right? ... woohoo 3 for 3

I win i the greetest

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I wonder one thing Lusted, why have we Circus Maximus when you're only able to build same cavarly as Hippodrome/or what its called.
    The cavarly don't get any bonus experience on the higher level.
    So whats the point with Circus maximus.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Cause i accidentally left it in for the Romans. Its only in there because it was used to recruit Praetorian cavalry in vanilla RTW, but as ive removed them it is now useless, ive never thought about removing the circus maximus for the romans. Plus i believe it gives a better types of races so provides a better loyalty bonus.
    Creator of:

Allright, had to be something like that, its fairly expensive to build for a loyalty bonus...

Resistance is futile™

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

I have a concern related to balance issues.

Pontus - once trhey reach the higher barracks levels, all they seem to produce is
    1. Cappadocian cavalry
    2. Chalkapis

It seems that they should mix in some light infantry types, maybe some archers or such. I have seen a few chariots, but they are producing stack after stack with only these two unit types.
    Also the upkeep on the Cappadocian cavalry, currently at 250, should be a bit higher since it is an elite armored unit.

Of all the eastern factions, only Pontus takes over the whole of the middle east and then expands into Africa. I have never seen this with Seulicia, Armenia, Parthia, Bactria, etc.

Seulicia - Never seems to thrive, I have played many campaigns in both TE 4 and 5. And they always seem to get wiped out by a growing Pontus, with help from Egypt. Bot sure what the fix would be for that, but it is needed to balance out the uber-powerful Ponts.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Pontus always expands hugely in my campaigns. Ending up as the greatest empire actually.

Resistance is futile™

Well ill look into balancing things out for GOLD.
    Creator of:

Lusted, you have my utmost respect and gratitude for giving me/us these excellent add ons - because of your great work, I havent even started my new Oblivion game, you keep me hooked on the TE campaigns!

Thank you

Oh yes, the 5.1 is great!

Chris

Played some campaigns and I enjoyed the mod.

Some impressions:

- The Epirus seem to have and edge over the Romans too often. This should be a bit rebalanced imho. In the long run the Romans should emerge as a major power and currently this is not likely to happen.

- I'd have liked to see some more hoplites for Greeks like RTR (Corinthians, Athenaioi ecc.)

- why didn't you include any AOR units?

Andrea

-Mod isn't historical, i want it to be quite random who emerges powerful

-Nope, would make my mod save game incompatible, they have enough units

-Ai wouldn't know how to use AoR trops as they would be different form main troops types, i dont like AoR, im keeping the recruitment system as close to vanilla RTw as possible. Oh, and adding one in would make the next version save game incompatible.
    Creator of:

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar
    I have a concern related to balance issues.

Pontus - once trhey reach the higher barracks levels, all they seem to produce is
    1. Cappadocian cavalry
    2. Chalkapis

It seems that they should mix in some light infantry types, maybe some archers or such. I have seen a few chariots, but they are producing stack after stack with only these two unit types.
    Also the upkeep on the Cappadocian cavalry, currently at 250, should be a bit higher since it is an elite armored unit.

Of all the eastern factions, only Pontus takes over the whole of the middle east and then expands into Africa. I have never seen this with Seulicia, Armenia, Parthia, Bactria, etc.

Seulicia - Never seems to thrive, I have played many campaigns in both TE 4 and 5. And they always seem to get wiped out by a growing Pontus, with help from Egypt. Bot sure what the fix would be for that, but it is needed to balance out the uber-powerful Ponts.
    Heres a few examples of the composition of the Pontus armies and a Carthaginian army.

The first screenshot above is of a Carthaginian army sw of the Pyramids. Has a good mix of troops, archers, light infantry, 2 cav units. Not sure what the onager is for. Even a militia unit. There are only 3 of what I would consider high quality units. 1 elephant (heavy cav, probably the entry level model) and 2 Sacred Band heavy infantry.

Heres an example below of a Pontus army formation. Of the 18 units, there are 6 Cappadocian cavalry, and 7 Chalkapis. Only 4 units of mixed light stf and maybe a merc camel in there. Most Pontus stacks dont have that many light units. I have seen several that consist soley of Cappadocian cavalry (heavy cavalry) and Chalkapis (heavy infantry).

To balance that out, Carthage should have 7 Sacred Band infanty and 5 Sacred Band cavalry, and an Armored elephant.

And the Pont economy must be a monster to produce the number of troops they have. They even outnumber the barbarian factions.

If you gave the unit mixture and economy of the Pontus faction to the other eastern factions (and maybe Carthage),then things would be explosive in Asia.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers