Thread: How do I merge units?

Default How do I merge units?

As the title says - how do I merge units?

I've tried previous TW methods (select units, hit "m", drag one tile onto the other).

Thanks.
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

Default Re: How do I merge units?

You merge 2 armies in the normal way by moving one onto another. For small units in the same army I highlight one unit and drag it onto the unit I want to merge with. Same as it always was I think.

Thanks. I'll try it again.

What has been happening with me is that when I drag one unit card onto another the cursor seems to pick up both cards and they float above the command console.

ctrl M should work. if your not sure of any commands, look under controls in the options menu and it gives you a list of commands

emptw1's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    Thanks. I'll try it again.

What has been happening with me is that when I drag one unit card onto another the cursor seems to pick up both cards and they float above the command console.
    Thats very strange, it has always worked for me like that, maybe, the game prefers you merging a 45 man unit into a 160 man unit rather than merging a 160 man unit into a 45 man one(basicaly, merge the smaller sized unit into the larger size, although i don't see why it would be like that) its very strange dragging a unit into another doesn't work, i guess the best thing is to make sure you're not trying to accidnetly merge a Yari Ashigaru unit into a Yari Samurai unit, or a Yari Samurai into a Bow Samurai, or that your not accidently trying to merge with full strength units.

Wait a minute, you can merge individual units? When the Hell did this happen, and why didn't I know this?

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dax View Post
    Wait a minute, you can merge individual units? When the Hell did this happen, and why didn't I know this?
    Since the year 2000, where Shogun : Total war was released.

Quote Originally Posted by crunchyfrog View Post
    Since the year 2000, where Shogun : Total war was released.
    Most curious...

I've been playing since Rome, and this is the first I've heard of such a feature. I suppose you learn something every day.

Well, it's working for me as it always did now. I've just had a new graphics card installed (the game was using an on board chip before) but I don't see how that had anything to do with it.

Ctrl - M and drag the unit card onto the target both work fine. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

In the original Shogun you could "pick up" a unit by click and hold, and then drop it into a neighbouring province, or into a stack, by releasing. If I remember correctly the merged unit retained the upgrades of the unit that received the drop. Also the experience level ... this could be annoying if you didn't realize 2 units would merge, and carelessly dropped on onto another.

Ah, glory days ... anyways, thanks.

What I really regretted was that you don't seem to be able to merge ships. Sometimes I have some damaged ships and I'd like to scuttle one and transfer the crew to the other but I can't.

Steforian's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by SSJPabs View Post
    What I really regretted was that you don't seem to be able to merge ships. Sometimes I have some damaged ships and I'd like to scuttle one and transfer the crew to the other but I can't.
    Im pretty sure that on the campaign map you can do that exact thing, or maybe im thinking Nap or Emp....

Sweet Lord above.....I've just now am a few hours from 1k hours on this game and I just now read this, holy crap man.....This is life-changing LOL!