Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Various Unit Cards Mod - Large update 17/4 2017

Artifex

Default Re: Gondor, Isengard and Goblin Unit Cards Minimod

First, thanks everyone who posted all the nice comments, that is very encouraging.

@sanderman2
    I have not planned that but if there is an interest in such a thing, maybe I will. If I make cards for another faction it will probably be Gundabad and then the elves. Generally, I doubt if I can do better than much of the mods ui, which I think is very good. Especially Mordor and Harad have great cards in my opinion.

@Northman75
    I'm very glad you liked it. Red eyes to the people! I had my doubts about that picture since it is so big, but then wargs are, compared to all the goblins so in a way it makes sense that they appear overwhelming for that faction.

@ALHIMIK
    There is absolutely no secret behind this mod. I'm flattered that people ask.

1) No, everything is based on in-game screenshots. I don't have milkshape at all, actually. I know it is very popular to make cards from but you can get along fine with the game itself as well.
    2) The light source is the morning or afternoon sun itself. I took shots of many units with the light coming from the side or front to increase contrast and illuminate things. It is especially hard, and necessary, with the goblin elite units whose grey and brown armour just blends into a dark mass otherwise. It is much easier with the shiny gondorians.

@alleycat
    I use GIMP for editing. The most important tools are the sharpness thing or whatever it's called and the setting of brightness and contrast. I copy a picture of the unit from an unedited screenshot and increase sharpness and then contrasts and erase and smudge out some too bright pixels.

If you use the sharpness thing very much you get very clear details but eventually wrong colours. A good example here is the Ithilien ranger card where the bowstring has those annoying white dots along it. Something I will clean up in the future by the way.

If you use increased contrast more/earlier you will often get smoother lines at the expense of detail. A good example is the Blackroot Vale archers whose bow is quite visible and looks relatively un-pixilated while the face is less detailed than the Ithilien guys. Shields and metal armour with light on usually benefit tremendously from much contrast but moderate increased sharpness. The marines and goblin heavy infantry have very clear shields that really stand above the rest of the picture in detail.

Goblin chieftain: Shiny shields!? Whose idea was this? We can't have shiny shields! We have a rep' to protect! We are primitive scavengers, by Melkor!

I'll post a picture with some hopefully helpful notes later.
    Last edited by Maltacus; March 21, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

@sanderman2
    I have not planned that but if there is an interest in such a thing, maybe I will. If I make cards for another faction it will probably be Gundabad and then the elves. Generally, I doubt if I can do better than much of the mods ui, which I think is very good. Especially Mordor and Harad have great cards in my opinion.
    Well i think your ui´s are much better , i love the units like ''Jumping'' out of the card view.
    Doing elves would be epic!

will we see this mod for mordor also?

Artifex

Default Re: Gondor, Isengard and all Goblins Unit Cards Minimod

@sanderman2
    Elves are next then, I think.

@SSKalimdorSS
    Mordor?!!
    One does not simply screenshot into Mordor. There is evil there that does not sleep. The very screenshots you take is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand pixels could I produce anything better than the current unit cards of Mordor.

I'll give it a try eventually, but Mordor will be extremely hard to do well. Their units are so black and dark all over so it's hard to make any details show at all.

Lastly, Gundabad is added! Trolls with watches for everyone (those silly little bucklers are of course not shields, but watches. After all, there are twelve pieces of leather on the brim... must be for the twelve hours of the day)!
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

I hope you do FPOE / Arnor in the future...Very nice though what you have right here!

Icon10 Re: Gondor, Isengard and all Goblins Unit Cards Minimod

Maltacus you are awesome

Artifex

@Vice
    All those abbreviations! One needs a three-page dictionary just to get along in the Third Age forum! Oh, wait, it was /Arnor...

Ah, so you mean the Flower Power of Eriador!

OK, the schedule is so far:

Elves
    Eriador
    Arnor
    Taro_M:s gondorians and maybe a new version of the basic gondorians including ALHIMIK:s new models as well, if I have the time and energy to install those submods.
    More practising
    Mordor

@SSKalimdorSS
    Last edited by Maltacus; March 27, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Beautiful! Ya know, the unit cards display the units that we see the most. You have given first rate attentio to a graphic component of the mod (and game) that has been neglected. Great job! Thanks.

Artifex

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - High Elves Added

Important news: This is now the various unit cards minimod instead of the [faction], [faction] and all[factions] unit cards minimod. The world does surely hold its collective breath in awe of the commercial success a new name will mean...not...

High elves are now up and added! The shiny snobs of Middle Earth turned out to be Gondorian in style. What do you think of it? Should they be more in line with the orcs? Is it perhaps even an advantage if each faction has it's own style of cards?
    Last edited by Maltacus; March 31, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Awesome unit cards! But you forgot a few units for the High Elves: Lindon Spearmen, Noretino Archers and Cavalry, and Imladris Riders.

Artifex

They are not forgotten but something I did forget () was to mention that I don't have 3.1 installed so I don't have access to those units. I am playing with an older version of FRoME which is based on 2.1, and of course my own alterations...

I have been thinking of adding those units manually, though, they seem quite cool. When I have done that I will make some cards for them.

Artifex

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - Arnor Added

The kingdom of Arnor is now restored and recarded.

Why make the one faction everyone by definition will se after the other one first? Sometimes my logic is breathtaking... It was much easier to do Arnor so I started with them. The rangers and other local units will be with the Eriador cards coming next.

Why do the knights of Annuminas (lovely easy unit to make cards of, fantastic armour details) wear plate on almost the whole chest except right over the heart and lungs where it seems to be only chain mail??? That bra-like armour would not look out of place in World of Warcraft... The knights must of course be of legendary bra-vado. Perhaps the new King wanted to secretely advertise for and sponsor the famous elven fashion business Arwen's Secret?
    Last edited by Maltacus; April 05, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

This is a really cool mod. Should be implemented in the vanilla.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hmm, I like the vanilla ones better.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Very nice cards. I like the cavalry ones and i also know how hard it is to get them right. The Vanilla ones are almost impossible to emulate using the games screenshots when making ones for new units.
    Last edited by smoesville; April 13, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I can't belive you folks: two pages and everybody has ignored the boar rider?

Chaaaaarge!

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    (and ignore the boar, it has nothing to do with the mod):
    Well he did say this in the OP so i took him at his word

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post

I can't belive you folks: two pages and everybody has ignored the boar rider?

Chaaaaarge!
    I'm pretty sure I wrote something really funny about it in a repcomment
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Artifex

This is a really cool mod. Should be implemented in the vanilla.
    I think that would be quite controversial, but it's nice to hear that. Everyone has such different taste when it comes to the visual parts of the mod. But since card changes are save-game compatible and easy to do, new cards can be included in mods as an optional easy-to-add-or-remove extra feature that people just activate when they feel for it.

Hmm, I like the vanilla ones better.
    Fair enough. I think they are generally very good too. The level of detail is great. The only thing that bothers me is how many units stand in a quite passive way on the card which makes them look lamer than they actually are.

Very nice cards. I like the cavalry ones and i also know how hard it is to get them right. The Vanilla ones are almost impossible to emulate using the games screenshots when making ones for new units.
    If I make a new set of Gondorian cards, should their cavalry cards be like the Arnorian ones?

About the boar riders:

I just wrote that to avoid questions of whether or not this was part of some silly parody mod or whatever. In my experience you have to be ridiculously overly clear about what you mean in the Third Age forum or you will get tons of irrelevant spamming. Although this applies mostly to discussions about potential changes held in the main forum. Feel free to comment more on the boars* if you like

*Perhaps Runar's idea could oned day become reality... It just occured to me that some of the Orcs in Call of Warhammer ride on boars... Importing mount models awaits...

I think they should, the other factions are more similar with Arnor, you can see the horse fairly clearly. I especially like how you made the warg card

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast