Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Various Unit Cards Mod - Large update 17/4 2017

Artifex

Default Various Unit Cards Mod - Large update 17/4 2017

NEW VERSION

The new version of the mod contains all the following unit cards and a few more that I have missed in the preview. They are from my own installation which is based on the MOS submod so some of the units do not appear in vanilla Third Age or other mods.

OLD VERSIONS:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Preview (and ignore the boar, it has nothing to do with the mod):

Dalesmen: Dalesmen, Hearth Watchmen, Rhovanion Gaudraughts, Dwarves of the Oakenshield (submod unit), Swordmasters, Woodsmen, Bardian Marksmen Bodyguards and common unit, Longbowmen, Athala Rangers, Yeomen, Earls, Athiowuda Horseguards, Rhovanion Spearmen, Hunters and Riders (submod units I think), Dale Cavalry, Mercenary Horseguards, Ballista and Catapult.

Dwarves of Erebor: Miners, Crossbowmen, Axe Throwers, Axemen, Vault Wardens, Halberdiers, Warriors, Noblemen, Axemen of Erebor, Khazad Guard, Iron Guard, Insolent Scum (=Dragonslayers), Ballista, Catapult, Dale Cavalry.

They are the moors. Quite fitting. The light skirmishing cavalry and lightly armoured spearmen faction before all others (or would have been if they were made correctly) playing the heaviest and least riding of them all...

Rohan: Militia, axemen, spearmen, dismounted eored lancers, swordsmen, dismounted royal guard, riddermark axemen, archers, royal archers, helmingas, scouts, bodyguards (likely not visible in the campaign), riders of rohan, eored lancers, royal guard, riddermark skirmishers, horse archers and eored horse archers (I think that's what they're called) and finally royal horse archers.

Rohan is Milan, which suits the green colour, so unpack and paste the cards into the milan folder.

I have added cards for the Lorien faction in Forgotten Realms of Middle Earth and other submods using those units.

Sentinels of Cerin Amroth, Lorien Infantry, Lorien Spearmen, Galadhrim Marchwardens, Galadhrim Bodyguards, Lorien Archers, Rangers of Lothlorien, Lorien Lancers and Scouts, Buggy Ents that crash my battles but got a card anyway because I'm such a forgiving ruler.

[

Silvan Elves: Forest Wardens, Silvan Spearmen, Axemen, Galadhrim Spearmen and Swordsmen, Light Elven Archers, Sentinels of the Long Unit Name (Sentinels of the Woodland Realm), Galadhrim Archers, Bodyguards.

Harad: Corsairs and Corsair Archers, Haradrim Spearmen and Archers, Southron Warband, Pikemen and Archers, Troll-Men, Dismounted Serpent Guard, Hasharii, Muhad Tribesmen and Beastmasters, Southron Lancers and Raiders, Serpent Guard and Bodyguards, Mumakil.

Mordor: Orc Band, Orc Raiders, Orc Maulers, Morannon Guard, Orc Scouts, Orc Archers (I think we get the picture now, there are lots of orcs in Mordor....), Uruks, Uruk Halberdiers, Uruk Archers, Uruk Bodyguards, Mountain Trolls, Olog-Hai, Troll Catapults, Dismounted and Mounted Nazghuls, Dismounted and Mounted Black Numenorians, Da Boss Himself.

Rhun/Easterlings: Clansmen, Clan Archers, Clan Swordsmen and Crossbowmen, Dismounted Variags, Dismounted Clanguard, Mounted Variags and Clanguard, Dragon regiments; Infantry, Halberdiers, Archers, Kataphracts and Bodyguard, Balcoth Tribesmen.

Eriador: Spear and bow militia, Greenway Guards on foot and horse, Merchant infantry and cavalry, Hobbit infantry, archers and Bandobras archers, Lumbermen, Woodsmen, Dunedain Rangers, Grey Company, Dismounted and Mounted Battle-Ready Dunedain.

Arnor: Militia and Militia Archers, Arnorian Men-at-Arms, Archers and Pikemen, Arnorian Sergeants, Knights and Mounted and dismounted Knights of Annuminas.

High Elves: Elven Infantry and Light Archers, Elven Archers, Eldar Spearmen, Swordsmen and Archers, Mithlond Nobles, Smiths of Eregion, Eldar Cavalry, Bodyguards.

Orcs of Gundabad: Snaga Stalkers and Archers, Goblin Band and Trackers, Orc Fellers, Orc Halberdiers and Marauders, Mountain Trolls, Snow Trolls, Hillmen, Rhudaur Axemen, Rhudaur Scouts, Warg Riders.

Orcs of the Misty Mountains: Snaga Archers and Skirmishers, Goblin Infantry and Archers, Heavy Goblin Infantry, Halberdiers and Archers, Goblin Bodyguards, Warg Riders and Cave Trolls.

Isengard: Uruk-Hai Infantry, Pikemen and Crossbowmen, berserkers, reavers, snaga archers and skirmishers, Uruk-Hai raiders and archers, wargs, guards of the Orthanc, hillmen from Dunland, guards of the Orthanc and Uruk-Hai infantry bodyguards.

Gondor: Militia, Militia Archers, Militia Cavalry, Lossarnach Axemen, Swordsmen, Spearmen, Citadel Guard, Fountain Guard, Marines, Blackroot Vale Archers, Rangers, Archers, Regular Cavalry, Bodyguard, Dismounted and Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth.

To install, unpack/unzip/un-, open the folder OLD VERSION/NEW VERSION and paste the
    sicily (for Gondor) and/or
    france (for Isengard) and/or
    hre (for Orcs of the Misty Mountains) and/or
    portugal (for Orcs of Gundabad) and/or
    mercs (for mercenaries) and/or
    egypt (for High Elves) and/or
    byzantium (for Arnor in custom battles) and/or
    turks (for Eriador and Arnor in the campaign) and/or
    venice (for Rhun) and/or
    england (for Mordor) and/or
    spain (for Harad) and/or
    mongols (for Silvan Elves) and/or
    scotland (for Dale) and/or
    dunland (for Dunland) and/or
    saxons (for Lorien) and/or

folder into the ...Medieval II Total War/mods/Third_Age/data/ui/units folder and overwrite as requested.

Make sure you backup the respective original folders before you do this, in case you don't like the new cards.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maltacus; October 29, 2019 at 05:20 PM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Foederatus

Default Re: Gondor Unit Cards Minimod

Very nice!!
    These new unit cards are much better than the old ones!

TW_User's Avatar Libertus

wow, they look very awesome
    German Medieval: 2 Total War Freak and Modder

Great work , +rep
    Dico tibi verum, libertas optima rerum, nunquam servili sub nexu vivito, fili
    Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

Wow, look indeed awesome. Great job you did here +rep

Yes, very good work. Though for the mounted units I would prefer the vanilla ones. But, the archer unit icons are just great, also the dismounted Dol Amroth Knights, Citadel Guard, Fountain Guard, Lossarnach Axemen and Gondor Swordsmen.

Maybe it would be a good idea, if you could make unit cards for Taros units. Until now I was reluctant to play with Taros units, because I didn't liked his unit icons, even his models are great.
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

Artifex

Thanks everyone! I'm happy you all liked the cards, or at least some of them.

@Jackie Treehorn,
    Well, the dude abides. Currently I am buried in writing part of a thesis at school but then I might check out Taros stuff. I will need to implement it manually since my installation is quite customized but it should be fun (I'm using custom and campaign battles for the screenshots). Luckily, my Gondor campaign which was the driving force behind this rework is quite defensive (boosted ai kings purse to make up for no garrison scripts...why did I do that?...Agony!) so there will be plenty of time to incorporate new stuff before it ends.

How would you prefer cavalry icons? I am thinking loosely of redoing all the regular units - using photage when they glitter in the sun, including the Gondor cavalry. And the cavalry militia could use a remake as well. I'm thinking of taking a shot when they all charge against the camera. If I can get good sunlight I may even do a new Swan knight icon (I have become addicted to their shining armour).

OR, even better, I could do an alternative set of icons with another style such as very shiny and snobbish like Gondor is ("by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!"), or very dark and dramatic, so everyone can pick a set they like or cards from various sets. The dude will have to abide a bit longer to contemplate this.
    Last edited by Maltacus; December 11, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Wow! Nice!
    They look cool man.
    +rep
    I assume they can be used with any submod?

Artifex

Yeah, naturally they will overwrite any new gondor icons of these units that come with the submod, but changing the icon pictures is totally compatible (and save-game compatible). The only exception would be if the submod for some reason I can't think of would see fit to rename the gondor units (rename in the Export_descr_units, not their name on the campaign and battle map) in which case the name of the picture would not correspond with the name of the unit.

And I'm glad you liked them!

Default Re: Gondor and Isengard Unit Cards Minimod

Are you gonna do units cards to each faction? They look amazing!

Wow, the Isengard Units are perfect. Really great stuff. Just there a two Guards of the Orthanc icons. Are there two different Guards of Orthanc units now? I suppose this is for Vanilla TATW?

Maltacus, in general I am fine with the Vanilla Unit Icons, except maybe the new High Elve Units from LL. But, many of the submods, like Taro_M, VOA, etc could need some love on their Unit Icons.
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

One of the Orthanc Guards is a general unit, the other one is recruitable Therefor two cards
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

and therefor one is never visible as you'll only see the general portrait

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Except if he made them usable in custom battles
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

The problem of the mounted units is the horse (or the lack of actually)
    One cannot really distinguish them clear enough as there is very little 'horse'- only the rider is captured.
    The vanilla show more or less a clear horse, and make it much easier to find the cavalry among the cards.

It's really a lot more polished than the vanilla ones- only the mounted units need a bit of work.
    Aure entuluva!

Artifex

@Bernardo Cortes
    Maybe. I generally like the vanilla unit cards in Third Age but it's a fun exercise in editing pictures. Next in line will probably be the Orcs of the Misty Mountains - my favourite faction together with Isengard and Dwarves. Snagas are so darn cute!

@Jackie Treehorn
    I intend to add Taro_M's units as armour upgrades to my Gondorians so I will probably do some pictures of them some day. VOA (Vale of Anduin?) depends on how easy and viable it is to add manually to my mod.

About the two bodyguard icons:
    Yes, the bodyguards will only show up in custom battles. For that reason I didn't bother so much with making the bodyguard cards in line with the others in terms of size and style. At least in FRoME (which my installation is based on) Saruman has a bodyguard of the Orthanc fellows in the campaign but only him. The smaller, more discreet card is the one that will show in the campaign for the regular recruitable ones.
    I don't actually have vanilla Third Age so I can't say if a special Orthanc guard is included there. This mod is not specifically intended for vanilla or any other submod but probably compatible with most, as mentioned.

@Knights Templar
    Fair point. It's hard to make mounted units fit in with the others so I went with the close style to start with. I'm so used to the units so I didn't reflect on cavalry being hard to recognise. Anyways, the horses deserve more attention and for future units I will probably try to include more of the horse in the unit card.

But surely the wargs are distinguishable on their card?
    Last edited by Maltacus; March 18, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Gondor, Isengard and Goblin Unit Cards Minimod

Great units again!
    Your doing all factions?

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

Looking really good, I like especially the goblin cards and absolute favorite one is the wargrider card from Ootmm

Awesome work! One question, actually two, if its not a secret:

1) Did you use milkshape?
    2) How did you apply the light source on the top right of the units when posing, or is it just photoshoping?

Wowza, thats a nice step up. I'd wouldn't mind a peak behind the curtain myself if you could offer a description of your process. Such great contrast/detail, with so few pixels.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast