Thread: Tighina

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Tighina

Hi yall, i've spent the past few days reading Medieval Towns in the Romanian Principalities. I've learnt loads about the origins of various Moldovan cities but due to the conquest of Tighina (known as Bendery to the Russians) the book does not offer much background information behind the origins and history of this city. I was particularly interested whether or not the cetatea there was originally built by Stefan cel Mare or by the Mongols or perhaps another group. Does anyone know anything about this or could perhaps provide me with some sources (I can read English, French, Romanian, and a bit of Russian)? I would simply go visit the place myself but...i'm pretty sure that's not possible these days.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Tighina

This is a tough one. I think the actual settlement existed earlier than Stefan's reign. According to wiki it was first mentioned in 1408 during the reign of Alexader the Kind under the name of Tyagyanyakyacha. The name is of Cuman origin so it would suggest even an earlier time it was founded. But the actual fort was indeed built during Stefan's reign. Apparently this initial fort was actually wooden and it was meant to protect from Tatar raids.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Interesting stuff, thnx mate!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

wooden? are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    wooden? are you sure?
    Yeap according to Laurentiu Radvan in his Medieval Towns in the Romanian Principalities

The whole book can be found here http://www.scribd.com/doc/74642927/M...Principalities
    Last edited by Wallachian; March 17, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

I would say that Tighina is less important as settlement and that Tiraspol or in greek Tyraspolis is of paramount importance for both the region and for the greater Daco-Getian realm.
    See Tiras or Tyras in greek , son of Iafet or Iaphetus in english, then understand how things have played.

Tyras is the ancient name of the Dniester. The ancient city of Tyras lies at the mouth of the river. Cetatea Alba/Akkerman was built pretty much on top of it. The ruins of the Roman settlement at Tyras lie right next to it. The modern city of Tiraspol has nothing to do with the ancient city as it was built by the Russian General Suvorov in the 18th century. They just share the same name which is the name of the river.
    Last edited by Wallachian; April 05, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Tyras is the ancient name of the Dniester. The ancient city of Tyras lies at the mouth of the river. Cetatea Alba/Akkerman was built pretty much on top of it. The ruins of the Roman settlement at Tyras lie right next to it. The modern city of Tiraspol has nothing to do with the ancient city as it was built by the Russian General Suvorov in the 18th century. They just share the same name which is the name of the river.

Nice try, however i was reffering to the person Tyras or Tiras, not the river.
    I wasn't saying that the modern city has anything to do with the ancient settlement of Tyraspolis other than name; what i was pointing out is that Tyraspolis is of such a great importance as to be present in basically any game that wishes to show the Dacian realm just as much as Sarmizegetusa is shown.
    Tyraspolis is the greek name of this ancient thracian settlement which happens to actually carry the name of the father of all thracian descendants.

Oh fair enough, well from your previous post it sounded that you were saying that Tiraspol and Tyras were one and the same settlement. I agree about the importance of Tyras in any antiquity based mod. For example my favourite RTW mod Roma Surrectum II has both Tyras and Histria as settlements. But this has nothing about the OP, he was asking about the medieval fortress of Tighina.