Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Unit Editor

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Default Unit Editor

Download(new): http://www.mediafire.com/?uomjsey8x1yocnj
    Download here at TWCenter: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4186

Required: .Net v2.0 or better (you should have it if you have kingdoms installed).

Usage:
    Unpack and run. Point at your mod folder (not the data folder).
    The "vanillas" folder should always accompany the .exe (lazy gracul).

Description:
    This tool is a complete EDU+BMDB editor, allowing easy creation/modification of units in MTW2.
    It's mostly allows for a fast double-single click editing of things that are hard to maintain.
    Also, includes a module to import unit models from other mods, without having to copy the files by hand.

There are two parts to this thing - the log and the gui.

1. In the log you'll be able to find any serious errors that might be inside your files.
    2. The GUI mode uses colour-coding, in order to draw modders attention.

• Things marked as lightred are either misspelled properties or file paths that dont exist.

• Things marked as light-orange are paths that work as they are found in vanillas packs.
    You'll also have two options of saving the files - sorted or unsorted.

• Sorted EDU means spitting out an edu file with units categorized.

• Sorted BMDB will be cleared of any unused models - be it whole models or only the unused faction entries.

This tool will not overwrite any of your files! However the files should be up and ready for a rename & copy.
    For those that like to look at the tool before they download it [and a small tutorial]:
    Spoiler for images

In work:
    dds preview so you can actually look what kind of texture you have.
    unit import, so you can import whole units in a matter of a couple clicks.

Check the spoiler to see what can be threw out in the log.

HAVE FUN!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Modeldb stuff:
    [Info] Model '%i %s' is never used.
    Simple as that, the model is never referenced in any files, in any form.

[Info] Model '%i %s' does not need the texture entries for faction '%s' (or merc).
    Same as above, only now the model and some of its factions are used.

[Error] Model '%i %s' uses an unknown skeleton type '%s'.
    The skeleton which is attached to the model cannot be found in descr_skeleton, or your file is messed up so the parser reads something else as the skeleton.
    High-priority error, if indeed the parser reports a fancy string then requires fixing before you can proceed.

[Info] Model '%i %s' has a duplicated faction entry in the (figure/attachment) textures.
    In this case the latter entry will be used.

[Info] Model '%i %s' has different faction entries in the figure and attachment texture sections. Figure textures include faction '%s'.
    Your model has for example. defined france only as the figure entry and milan as the attachment. Both shall be omitted.

EDU stuff:
    [Error] Unit '%s'[%THE LINE WHICH CAUSED THE ERROR%] uses an unknown model '%s'.
    Pretty straight forward. The name in brackets will tell you if its the soldier, armour_ug_models or officer line.

[Warning] Unit '%s'[%THE LINE WHICH CAUSED THE ERROR% & %THE ERA/OWNERSHIP%] is owned by faction x without texture entries in model x.
    Getting deeper, now we check all the ownerships and era ownerships vs the models. Seems we have a silver surfer as we dont have an entry.

[Warning] Unit '%s'[%s&%s] is a mercenary without the 'merc' texture entries in model '%s' (export_descr_units or battle_models).
    We have a silver-surfer merc. Note, that if the unit is build-able by a faction on the campaign map it is still using the merc entries for the textures, so any additional faction entries beside the merc ones are actually redundant and will be omitted.

[Error] Unit '%s'[%the variable we were searching for%] insufficient number of variables (line no. %exact line of error occurrence%).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[%s], too many variables (line no. %i).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[%s], insufficient number of variables (line no. %i).
    Self-explanatory.

[Error] Unit '%s' has an uncomplete or messed up definition. Omitting this unit from the rest of the checks (line no. %i).
    Meaning we have messed up the edu structure for the unit x, with the line of error occurrence.

[Error] Unit '%s'[x], has too many definitions (line no. %i).
    Meaning we have too many "era" "officer" or "banner" definitions. Or we define the same era twice.

[Error] Unit '%s'[%s&%s] has different count levels in the armour definitions (line no. %i).
    We have a unit with different levels of armour upg in the models and levels line.

[Error] Unit '%s' beyond edu limit of 500 units.
    Self-explanatory.

[Info] Unit '%s' uses different models as the first upgrade and the soldier line.
    In this case, the default upgrade takes priority over the soldier models for the engine, so the unit is displayed correctly (if the first upgrade is ok that is). Still, this is undesired.

[Error] Unit '%s'[mount] requests an unknown mount '%s' (descr_mount or export_descr_unit).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[ship] requests an unknown ship type '%s' (export_descr_unit or descr_ship).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[engine] requests an unknown engine type '%s' (export_descr_unit or descr_engine).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[stat_pri] requests an unknown projectile '%s' (export_descr_unit or descr_projectile).
    Self-explanatory.

[Error] Unit '%s'[%s] is owned by an unrecognized faction/culture '%s' (export_descr_unit or descr_sm_factions).
    Self-explanatory, probably typos.

[Info] Unit '%s'[%s] uses the 'all' ownership while still having defined individual factions (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[%s] is owned more then once by faction '%s' (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[%s] is owned more then once by faction '%s' due to inheritance from culture '%s' (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[%s] is owned by all the factions from the '%s' culture. Consider switching to the use of a culture definition (export_descr_unit or descr_sm_factions).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[%s] is owned by every faction. Consider using 'all' (export_descr_unit).
    Self-explanatory

EDB:
    [Info] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited by 'all' while still having defined individual factions (export_descr_unit).
    [Error] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited by an unrecognized faction/culture '%s' (export_descr_unit or descr_sm_factions).
    Perhaps typo, better check.

[Info] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited more then once by faction '%s' (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited more then once by faction '%s' due to inheritance from culture '%s' (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited by all the factions from the '%s' culture. Consider switching to the use of a culture definition (export_descr_unit or descr_sm_factions).
    [Info] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited by every faction. Consider using 'all' (export_descr_unit).
    [Info] Unit '%s' can't be recruited anywhere and is not a mercenary (export_descr_buildings).
    Self-explanatory.

[Warning] Unit '%s'[edb line. %i] can be recruited by faction '%s' without an ownership (export_descr_buildings or export_descr_unit).
    The engine will not let us recruit an unit like this.

Other:
    [Error] Mount '%s' has no entry in the battle_models.modeldb file.
    We have defined a mount in the descr_mount but don't have an entry for it.

[Error] Faction '%s' uses an unknown culture '%s' (descr_sm_factions or descr_culture).
    Perhaps a typo?

[Info] Culture '%s' seems to be abandoned (descr_culture).
    Meaning we never reference any faction or the culture itself in the unit files.

[Error] Faction '%s' does not have an accent specified (descr_accent).
    Self-explanatory.

[Error] Accent '%s' unrecognized faction '%s' (descr_accent or descr_sm_factions).
    Self-explanatory.

[Warning] Character '%s' is owned by faction '%s' without a texture entries in model '%s'.
    A stratmap linked char does not have the appropriate texture entries.

[Warning] Character '%s' does not have the texture entries for the slave faction. Every character should have this entry in case of a rebel spawn.
    Self-explanatory.

[Warning] Unit '%s' does not have a response on the battlemap for faction '%s'->accent '%s' with voice type '%s'.
    Our unit does not have a 'confirmation' voice defined in export_descr_sounds_units_voice. This is the voice "SSStradiots!" when you select a stradiots units etc.

[Warning] Unit '%s'[accent] uses an unknown accent '%s' (export_descr_units or export_descr_sounds_units_voice).
    [Warning] Unit '%s'[class] uses a class tag '%s' not yet having any voices. Consider adding a voice_type line to use an existing voice_type (export_descr_units or export_descr_sounds_units_voice).
    [Warning] Unit '%s' uses an unknown voice type '%s' (export_descr_units or export_descr_sounds_units_voice).
    Self-explanatory.

[Info] Opening default %s
    Cannot find the file in your mod dir, the one from vanilla folder shall be used.

[Info] Printing out additional data for easy export_descr_sounds_units_voice debugging in edsuv.txt.
    If any voice errors are detected, the edsuv file will hold an easy to use list of units with voices. Excellent for a quick-fix.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 09, 2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: downoad link (TWC) added

Default Re: Unit Editor

NICE man !
    +rep

very useful
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

thanks gracul.repped.

i should just drop unit editor exe in my mod folder right?

Artifex

Well you can use it from anywhere, just the log file and all the saves will show up in the folder the uniteditor.exe is in.

Minor gremlin - noticed all paths not in packs are being reported as missing, due to some debug code. Fixed and reuploaded.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Holy crap this is awesome. Although I get crashes often.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Wow this looks really cool

One criticism just from looking at the pics, I notice a weapon setting for 'lethality' - that's RTW not M2TW.

In M2TW it's supposedly called 'skeleton compensation', it says so at the top of the file.

But having tested it at various settings I still don't know what it does.

I've heard it helps prioritise primary/secondary weapon but to be honest that seems like crap - The secondary weapon is always switched to when it's in range (in fact many guys switch when one of them is in range).
    Last edited by Taiji; February 28, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Artifex

Well... i haven't been able to find the exact description of what it does, so i went with RTW's lethality.
    Anyone out there that knows better?
    Because if it does nothing, i'll just throw it out from the editor and set it default to 1.

Ideas and suggestions warmly welcome.

EP!anastasi's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Well... i haven't been able to find the exact description of what it does, so i went with RTW's lethality.
    Anyone out there that knows better?
    Because if it does nothing, i'll just throw it out from the editor and set it default to 1.

Ideas and suggestions warmly welcome.
    Afaik and as Taiji said, it's different from RTW and it's not lethality, so i suggest this name, too, as best solution until further knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    In M2TW it's supposedly called 'skeleton compensation', it says so at the top of the file.

@ gracul: Oh, and thanks for your useful work you so generously offer
    Last edited by EP!anastasi; February 29, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1988matej View Post
    <snip> i won't preorder to get the dacian's, wont pay for the elephant dlc nor will i settle for a dumbed down game <snip>
    "My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!"

a great song ... and one more ... ok, one last

(\__/)
    ( O.o)
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

Fred Putz
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Putz View Post
    Hmm - in my political spectrum Nazism is always on the extreme stupid wing.
    jimkatalanos

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    Can someone delete this one temporarily?
    It's way too active and I am worried.
    Taiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    Honestly there is no ceremony while I sacrifice stuff
    Garbarsardar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    <snip> the behaviour of moderators is a clear example of the corruption that absolute power brings to these hitherto innocent kids. Jom, Hesus, Ishan, Giga, were a merry bunch of fellows until the DeletePostDemon went into them and made them do the unthinkable. Praise the lord. And pass the bucket.
    ~Gort~
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Gort~ View Post
    Irony is one of the few saving graces of humanity.
    irelandeb
    Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    What we understand is neglible compared to what we know we don't understand, never mind what we don't know we don't understand.
    Squid
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    It won't help, people will believe what they want to believe even when presented with incontrovertible proof to the contrary.
    Magicman2051
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Clarifying, I don't disagree with what I quoted, I don't agree with it either.
    Aradan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    You do make sense.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Ahh! Looks a handy tool Gracul, +rep.
    I got a problem however, when I load and select my mod folder, the bat file load but it crashes, any specific reasons why?

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

This looks legen- wait for it.....................
    Keep waiting.
    Keeeep waiting.
    Wait for it...
    Wait for it...
    DARY!!!!

+Rep!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hmm, interesting. I'll have a look at it later this week
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Polycarpe View Post
    Ahh! Looks a handy tool Gracul, +rep.
    I got a problem however, when I load and select my mod folder, the bat file load but it crashes, any specific reasons why?
    Send me your modeldb and EDU on pm.
    It should be able to read all the files flawlessly, however if it crashes somewhere - means something totally unexpected happened .

Very helpful program, thank you. + rep

Moneybags14's Avatar Ordinarius

Very nice layout Gracul, very clean and organized. You have given me some ideas . Very useful tool for someone!
    Last edited by Moneybags14; April 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

A brilliant tool for modding Gracul, it's easy to use and understand. I'm just wondering (if someone would enlighten me) if it is possible to use this editor to create dismounted cavalry units? Thanks
    Et Tu Brute?

I can't get the tool to work. After pointing the load at the mod folder I want to work on (Rage of Dark Gods), I get an error message which reads as follows.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at fclose(_iobuf* )
    at ParseDA(DA* accent, SByte* fpath)
    at LoadFiles(SByte* datapath)
    at UnitEditor.Form1.LoadDialog_Clicked(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5456 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    UnitEditor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4440.2029
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Dustin/Downloads/UnitEdit/UnitEditor.exe
    msvcm90
    Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.6161
    Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.6161
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_50934f2ebcb7eb57/msvcm90.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5460 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5456 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5462 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This is the exact same error that I get with the Easy EDU Editor tool when trying to use it. May be an issue with a recent .net update. Both tools actually worked okay for me in the past, this error is new.

ok so i don't quite get it can't i edit original version of the game does it has to be some mod?

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

This isnt working for me. I downloaded, unzipped. Pointed at SS 6.3 folder..... and the program crashes, wont let me go any farther.

Great work Gracul!!! +rep

Unfortunately I too am getting crashes with every load except Vanilla. Doing some testing to see if I can figure out which file is causing issues. Will let you know if I figure anything out.

Cheers,

-Ronnie

Caesar_1991's Avatar Miles

I cant seem to get the editor to open anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast