Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Informer Fall of the Samurai Preview

Indefinitely Banned

Default Strategy Informer Fall of the Samurai Preview

Hey guys,

I can't see an official thread for FotS coverage - it's been a while since I was last here so if the rules have changed and this stuff goes somewhere else, then I apologise. Mods - feel free to move this to the appropiate place if needed.

Anyway:

Strategy Informer has posted a hands-on Preview of Fall of the Samurai, which you can read here.

Enjoy!

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Strategy Informer Fall of the Samurai Preview

Thank you, interesting read. Seems like the mindset of the clans is still very Sengoku Jidai.

We’ve not sure if this is a good or a bad thing yet, but there’s been several instances where fellow pro-emperor factions have declared war on us, for no other reason that we can think of other than they might have gotten bored or something. This means that the usual play-style of ‘all your territories are belong to us’ comes through again, which we can’t help but feel defeats the point of this particular scenario, but there you go.
    This worries me. I not a huge fun of maniac AI. Civilization V had them and ruined the game.

Gamespot released a preview too, here.

Indefinitely Banned

Yeah a little bit. As the 'new' Shimazu I was on that southern island again, with one ally and one enemy from the off. After dispatching the enemy the ally turned on me soon after, so I had to deal with them as well.

As the turns rolled on, I explored more of the southern portion of the mainland and befriended the Tosa, who are on that other island in the south. However, after, despite them being really friendly with me, I eventually got a "Impending Attack" warning regarding the Tosa, and the next turn they declared war on me for no obvious reason.

On the flip side, there are two other clans who control the northern tip of the island the Satsuma's start on, and at the time the preview build ended (it stopped working after around 40 turns), they had stayed my allies through-out.

So it's possibly related to Clan traits like Ambitious etc... but it makes little sense for clans of the same faction to be fighting each other as well as the other faction.

Still, apart from that minor niggle, I was very impressed with what I played of the game. Bring on March 23rd!

Thanks for the reviews, rep for you both!
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Good find, reading it now.
    "Kings lose crowns, Teachers stay intelligent."

"Dancing Days are here again" A short Shogun 2 AAR

Sounds interesting, I wonder if the other 'Allied' Clans declared war because the player was getting too strong too quickly?

Would of been interesting to see a relations break down at declaration of war.

This isn’t the end either; despite being nicely book-ended, the devs feel there’s still plenty more stories to be told about this lovable nation.

Wha?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabino79 View Post
    This worries me. I not a huge fun of maniac AI. Civilization V had them and ruined the game.

Gamespot released a preview too, here.
    Thanks for this, there's a four minute long video preview there which includes some new information. I suggest everyone check it out.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

This isn’t the end either; despite being nicely book-ended, the devs feel there’s still plenty more stories to be told about this lovable nation.
    YES! Meiji Era perhaps and finally a Tom Cruise DLC?

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

Still haven't seen any star forts or polygonal forts. Wonder if they'll be in...

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    YES! Meiji Era perhaps and finally a Tom Cruise DLC?
    Though I'm not sure if I interpreted that bit of the article correctly I wouldn't mind seeing the Sino-japanese war or Russo-japanese war. The latter is more likely.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Sino Japanese is too controversial as in it can be connected to the 2nd more famous Sino-Japanese War, as for Russo-Japanese, hmmmm, I wont mind seeing Mikasa destroying the entire Russian Baltic Fleet but I doubt it will come, why? Turrets, moving turrets. Sure there are ironclads in FOTS seen but I doubt they have moving turrets, just conical structures with cannons in them. Then again, maybe they could apply an FPS view/control in it like what they are doing now with the gatling gun. Gah, too much think about.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

I'm not a big fan of the direct-control artillery units. That's not really what the series is about I think, and I can just imagine how much that could be abused if it's available in multiplayer. Then again the first comment to the gamespot video preview reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by wezkilla
    Wow being able to use the Gattling gun yourself? that is enough to make me buy the game, holy balls thats unreal

Indefinitely Banned

That last comment wasn't meant to be that cryptic, sorry about that.

Basically, the day I went to Horsham to talk to the CA guys, I asked them if this was the last of the Shogun 2 DLC as it seemed to be a nice bookend to the Rise of the Samurai campaign.

They said they "didn't want to confirm that" (which isn't technically a straight no, but it conveyed a bit of their intent really), and that they thought there was plenty of other key points in Japan's history they could cover.

Who knows though, really... we might get more Shogun 2 DLC, or maybe some FotS-specific DLC since it's a stand alone product... or they may just move on to the next Total War game. I doubt we'll see another one on FotS scale though, unless it sells ridiculously well or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe86 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the direct-control artillery units. That's not really what the series is about I think, and I can just imagine how much that could be abused if it's available in multiplayer. Then again the first comment to the gamespot video preview reads:
    Wow I hope the next game is a FPS . Seriously though I havent noticed anyone ever wanting a direct control of artillery, still there are lots of new cool, useful and appropriate features in FotS (as far as I can tell) and CA hasnt disappointed me with Shogun 2 content yet, Im just wondering where they got the idea of manually controlling artillery? Maybe as an internal joke feature that ended up way too much fun to be left out, i guess?

Indefinitely Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that was thought up purely for the Gatling gun, but because it would be weird to have it just for that they made it a feature applicable to other types of units as well. It IS pretty fun mowing down tens of guys with the Gatling, but not that fun when controlling a ship, for instance.

Well there are mods out there that allow you to almost go into first person with your men so that's probably where they got the idea and the gatling gun was just perfect for it.

I don't see the abuse for the MP since you can only control 1 gatling gun out of 4 and you wouldn't be controlling your other guys as well.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Yeah, the way I see it just makes up for bad AI. Often in Empire the gunners are just dumb and don't know how to target at all, either aiming for where the enemy was 5 seconds ago or for some reason targeting the far flank of a line instead of the juicy middle. As the devs said already, it doesn't let you snipe, it's just for fun mostly.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

That was uncalled for.

How does taking control of 1 gun out of 4 guns and sacrificing the controlling of the other 39 units in your army make up for bad AI control? It's mostly just fun.

All you had to do was select the unit and tell it to target whichever specific unit you want it to. Even now we can tell it to target open ground if we wanted to.

How is that bad AI to begin with? The guns shoot whoever comes into range first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast