Thread: Small question

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Small question

Hey,

So I started to play this mod.. and noticed there is huge rebel armies almost everywhere. Why's that? It takes forever to get rid of them..

Also.. what's up with computer getting big armies pretty quickly?

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Small question

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonian View Post
    Hey,

So I started to play this mod.. and noticed there is huge rebel armies almost everywhere. Why's that? It takes forever to get rid of them..

Also.. what's up with computer getting big armies pretty quickly?
    Did you read already the main thread (mod info)? Should give an idea then.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

^I highly suggest doing what DaVinci said, but to answer this:
    They aren't really rebels. They represent all the smaller factions that didn't make it into the game (as you probably know, RTW can only have 21 factions, of which one is the rebel faction). A few examples: the Kingdom of Scotland, the Kingdom of Norway, various Italian city-states, the smaller Turcoman sultanates, and so on, and so forth

Yes, I did read it. But my question was, how they get so big armies quickly considering they are very small?

They start out with those big armies so that it takes awhile for them to be absorbed instead of having them just get steamrolled.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    They start out with those big armies so that it takes awhile for them to be absorbed instead of having them just get steamrolled.
    That's right.
    But iirc. the independent "factions" even develop in some cases settlements and also recruit some units, but i would have to look into it to verify that - mod development is finished for a while (years) now.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

That's right. If you're playing England, don't try and steam role into Wales, or they will Wale on you. I'm talking from experience.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

^Oh, it's possible with some training. I am usually able to steamroll Wales by gathering as many units and fam members as possible on turn one and just marching into Wales. They'll attack you with a larger army, but some well-placed charges should destroy them easily.

Okay I got it now. Thanks people.

Late feedback perhaps, but the large amounts of rebel half-stacks on the map can turn into a bit of a problem with the ALX.exe.
    The AI concentrates its forces much more with ALX, and on H or VH campaign the rebels/independents are aggressive enough to actively go after the player with those stacks. And depending on what units those stacks contain, that can be a tough challenge, particularly on H battle difficulty.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by jackx View Post
    Late feedback perhaps, but the large amounts of rebel half-stacks on the map can turn into a bit of a problem with the ALX.exe.
    The AI concentrates its forces much more with ALX, and on H or VH campaign the rebels/independents are aggressive enough to actively go after the player with those stacks. And depending on what units those stacks contain, that can be a tough challenge, particularly on H battle difficulty.
    In my experience with Chvalry it goes other way. I have noticed that rebels go almost imidiately at the start of the game for your cities and even managed to teke some of them, when playing with BI exe, while when I was playing with Alex exe rebels acted more defensively (which made them survive longer anyway).

Haven't played on BI in quite some time, they could be even more agressive there than on ALX, not that I haven't had them siege me within a couple of turns on ALX, but what really makes them (and the regular AI as well) more difficult is that when they go after you, they do it in force, and not with small detachments.

My current Rus campaign has probably affected my perception of this as well, as it means that most rebel stacks one faces early on are nothing but cavalry/HA, and due to their sheer number could be dangerous even on M difficulty.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by jackx View Post
    Haven't played on BI in quite some time, they could be even more agressive there than on ALX, not that I haven't had them siege me within a couple of turns on ALX, but what really makes them (and the regular AI as well) more difficult is that when they go after you, they do it in force, and not with small detachments.

My current Rus campaign has probably affected my perception of this as well, as it means that most rebel stacks one faces early on are nothing but cavalry/HA, and due to their sheer number could be dangerous even on M difficulty.
    Applying RTW, BI or ALX exe, valid is always: This kind of challenge belongs to ChivTW's concept from the start that the player has campaign-wise no easy going, and with my kind of campaign-coding, it is not only maintained but increased, a coding style which i developed since 2006 for this mod. The mod is not made, or not meant, for Arcade/Blitzkrieg campaign players, ie. the campaign-time (start/end) has a meaning.

It is also written in the ChivTW feature's description, that AI in general and also "rebel factions" can be a real challenge.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 15, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

I'm not complaining, I actually like the challenge, even if ultimately, it ends up promoting gamesmanship to deal with it, certainly on H battles.

Patrician Artifex

Alrighty.