Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Ancient Egypt - Total War

Sevas Tra's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: [WIP] Ancient Egypt - Total War

Hahaha, Just had another look through the images, I think I might use the Splash Screen image as a new wallpaper for a while. Thanks.

There is a release date?

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't think the dev's have said so far an exact one but they did say that it will take 2-3 months.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Looks awesome! if you need help for which concern sea peoples feel free to pm me.
    Anyway have a look to this page: http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/sea.htm

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

There never is a release date unless it's uploaded and all that is to be done is release it here.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V View Post
    Sounds a brilliant idea.

Personally I would prefer the 1000-500 BC period, Hittites, Assyrians, Babylonians, Israelites, Philistines (sea peoples), Medo-Persians, etc etc. ... but a great period none the less.
    This is a very interesting period indeed but there are already a few mods focused on this era. Also keep in mind that Egypt was pretty much overrun by foreigners in this timeframe. I deliberately chose the start of the 18th Dynasty as starting date because the true height of Egyptian culture and art started with them

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud(EGY) View Post
    great at last a mod for egypt thank you very much and i cant wait for this mod
    It's a wonderful part of history that has been a bit overlooked, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Explosion View Post
    Very exciting to see this being made, best of luck on it.

Looking forward to playing as the Hittites and Sea People!
    Thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk! View Post
    Very nice!!! Now Im your fan! Good luck!
    Hehe every fan of Egyptian history is welcome here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Understand that - overstretching is a danger to any project, so good you think before and keep it level headed

Hmm, well, the campaign starts back then and count downwards so it should be the other way around hehe, but I know what you meant This makes it more important for your sake to balance up so that when Egypt manage to get the upper hand in Africa the Hitties do not already owns all of the middle east since way back; or they'll be what Egypt in vanilla Rome is in this corner of the world, but as noted you already keep your eyes on that ^^
    This is where the scripts will come in handy. I'm working on an idea that basically makes sure that the richer you get (treasury) or the bigger you get (provinces) the more your enemies will be tempted to steal lands and riches from you. Especially wealthy temple cities will have to be defended because every warrior knows they are packed with wealthy materials. In short: you will have no choice but to keep armies in your home provinces (thus limiting your expansion options) if you want to keep order in your home territory..

Quote Originally Posted by 162eRI View Post
    Is the menu screen animated (I mean, is the water moving?) That would be awesome, but I guess must be hard to do ro find.

Good luck with this project, a very interesting one as Ancient Egypt was such an amazing world.
    No, it's a picture. It is possible to have a moving menu screen, but I don't have a movie capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Mars View Post
    Ancient Egypt is awesome! Can't wait for some more previews, also I'm thinking the sea peoples are from greece....
    Next preview will be the map (which I'm working on now). The Sea Peoples were a wide variety of tribes and peoples. Mainly from the Aegean world but also from pre-Roman Italy and from islands in the Mediterranean. They will be a very mixed group...

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianWarLord View Post
    What do you need in research? I want to help
    Research is pretty much covered, but if I need any specific info I'll post it here in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sevas Tra View Post
    Hahaha, Just had another look through the images, I think I might use the Splash Screen image as a new wallpaper for a while. Thanks.
    I have the menu screen as wallpaper myself in terms of photograpy Egypt is just such a land of opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Imperator View Post
    There is a release date?
    August 2134 but it could be extended to September 2134.. seriously though: no there isn't.

To everybody following the progress of this mod: I will not reply to questions about the release date. No expectations, no disappointments I won't make any promises

Quote Originally Posted by bonez899 View Post
    I don't think the dev's have said so far an exact one but they did say that it will take 2-3 months.
    I don't think I said that please show me where I said that so that I can correct it because it is false. At the very earliest it will be in the autumn-winter of 2012 but it probably will be in 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanax View Post
    Looks awesome! if you need help for which concern sea peoples feel free to pm me.
    Anyway have a look to this page: http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/sea.htm
    I'll take a look at it

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    There never is a release date unless it's uploaded and all that is to be done is release it here.
    Pretty much this. I can tell you that there will be no release anytime soon.. Updates and previews though will be more forthcoming (or so I hope)

Sorry for the megapost but I hope I've answered some of your questions

Radboud is working on the UI (and doing a great job!!) while I am busy with sorting out the map. I've managed to implement a sailable Nile (so you WILL need a fleet to keep your ports on the Nile safe) but I'm still working on the coding as well as the ground types and heights map...

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

And here I was hoping to play the mod because the world is ending.

panzer.tc's Avatar Civis

I am anxiously awaiting, a reason to reinstall RTW, back onto my computer.
    I have always loved studying ancient Egypt, can't wait to play.

Really interesting mod. Good luck with your project mate

-------------Leader of the AP mod-----------------

Looking good ,Hittites is my favorite

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

"Preview:loading screen"
    "Preview 2: alternative loading screen" ...

This mod is going to beat all others with the pace it got so far.

And btw, it's not enough to be working on the map, you should show some progress like interesting terrain, colour of sand&skies etc.
    Last edited by Dracula; February 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

that's nice of preview speed, but I believe some unit models would be nice to have (check yer VM)

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Citizen

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by bonez899 View Post
    And here I was hoping to play the mod because the world is ending.
    Sorry we'll just have to hope the world survives 2012

Quote Originally Posted by panzer.tc View Post
    I am anxiously awaiting, a reason to reinstall RTW, back onto my computer.
    I have always loved studying ancient Egypt, can't wait to play.
    Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Elvasat View Post
    Really interesting mod. Good luck with your project mate
    Thanks man, an honour to see such an artist like yourself here! Good luck with AP as well

Quote Originally Posted by diamutene View Post
    Looking good ,Hittites is my favorite
    I'd say they are my second favourite, after Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    "Preview:loading screen"
    "Preview 2: alternative loading screen" ...

This mod is going to beat all others with the pace it got so far.
    There has only been one preview and that is the OP of this thread... I'm not sure why you think otherwise. We are not here "to beat all others" nor would we even want that. This is the development of a mod focused on Ancient Egypt and we are not in competition with the other mods nor is it a race to finish first

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    And btw, it's not enough to be working on the map, you should show some progress like interesting terrain, colour of sand&skies etc.
    Look mate I am glad you have an interest in this mod, but we are doing this our way. We will do our best to make a cool mod and we'll take all the time we need for it. I have no idea what you mean by "showing terrain and sands&skies"...

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    that's nice of preview speed, but I believe some unit models would be nice to have (check yer VM)
    OK thanks and I answered the vm

I understand you guys are eager for more news and updates but please keep in mind that I have a certain policy. I will not show anything that hasn't yet passed my scrutiny, nor will I show unfinished work. Whenever something is completed I will share it here with you guys and you can comment on/criticize our work. Thank you all for the generous support and interest in this mod and have a good weekend all

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Work on the cities, that would be nice, and use the RS2 scenery. That would be also nice.

A small gift from me

-------------Leader of the AP mod-----------------

Hi

I am an expert in Egyptian mythology and culture, if you need help in some cultural aspect, I would be grateful to help.

I also know someVEgyptian songs who would be very good at this MOD.

Bye

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

First of all let me say I wouldn't post at all if I didn't think there was some good potential here. It's obvious there's more behind the effort than the usual failure-bound "I have a cool idea for a mod" kind of thread.

Still I have to agree with TW-Fanboy. Creating the faction rosters is no doubt the single most labour intensive task. It's the bottleneck of development. In the time it will take to create all factions, you'll have had time to redraw and recode the map several times over. So, as counter-intuitive as it may sound, you might as well create a virtually blank map (or just use RTW's) for now, and postpone the creation of the map until the very end.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    First of all let me say I wouldn't post at all if I didn't think there was some good potential here. It's obvious there's more behind the effort than the usual failure-bound "I have a cool idea for a mod" kind of thread.

Still I have to agree with TW-Fanboy. Creating the faction rosters is no doubt the single most labour intensive task. It's the bottleneck of development. In the time it will take to create all factions, you'll have had time to redraw and recode the map several times over. So, as counter-intuitive as it may sound, you might as well create a virtually blank map (or just use RTW's) for now, and postpone the creation of the map until the very end.
    you could always just fill the unis with your imagination if the history is blank about it (NETW Judean Housecarls anyone?)

but yes, historically accurate unit rooster is great bottleneck in mod creation

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Work on the cities, that would be nice, and use the RS2 scenery. That would be also nice.
    Improving the cities would be awesome but learning that skill would take a long time so it will not be done unless those who already have the knowhow (like the LOTR team for Alex) would be willing to help out. RS 2 environments will probably be added, once I get permission of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvasat View Post
    A small gift from me

Thanks I saved the sig and will add it to the OP when the next update is there

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Imperator View Post
    Hi

I am an expert in Egyptian mythology and culture, if you need help in some cultural aspect, I would be grateful to help.

I also know someVEgyptian songs who would be very good at this MOD.

Bye
    Thank you and pm sent.

Thanks mate.

I dont see what the map creation has to do with the unit rosters but you have a point about the bottleneck thing. A few people have very graciously offered their help with this so I might put them to work hehe. Could you elaborate though why the map would have to be redone several times?

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    you could always just fill the unis with your imagination if the history is blank about it (NETW Judean Housecarls anyone?)

but yes, historically accurate unit rooster is great bottleneck in mod creation
    There are already a few units out there that I could borrow so I will be contacting those teams. I'll get to it in the weekend (I have a few important presentations this week)...

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    I dont see what the map creation has to do with the unit rosters but you have a point about the bottleneck thing. A few people have very graciously offered their help with this so I might put them to work hehe. Could you elaborate though why the map would have to be redone several times?
    Well it won't necessarily have to be redone, but it can be redone and there are reasons why you might want to do that in the course of a development period that could last years.

Very briefly.
    1) to keep the team motivated you have to have a realistic prospect of releasing something between 1 and 2 years from now.
    2) then you have to make an estimate of how many faction rosters you can produce in that time, at the current rate.
    3) then you decide on a scenario that can be completed with that number of factions

This may mean that your ultimate goal is reached by succesively creating incremental scenarios. You could say it's double work. I say it keeps everybody busy working on attainable goals. New releases also help to supply your team with new blood.
    Last edited by Muizer; February 28, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast