Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [Campaign Release]Taro_M's New Units for gondor 2.1 for Clean 3.2 (Bug fixer patch)

Default Re: [Released]Taro_M's New Units for gondor - Campaign Release 1.0 ( For Vanilla 3.1 now with easy installer)

Will you update it to 3.2?

Default Re: [Released]Taro_M's New Units for gondor - Campaign Release 1.0 ( For Vanilla 3.1 now with easy installer)

I think the textures is causing the crashes. I have been experimenting with modeldb and the units that normally cause a crash at Minas Morgul worked when i assigned textures from units that worked all along. For instance the Gondor Captain with Gondor Bodyguard texture works.

Oh, thats interesting. Can you confirm that other units that cause problems also share same cause?

This may be simply that textures got messed up in conversion from DDS to texture. If exact cause can be pinpointed then there is very good possibility that I can fix the problem with those crashes.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_lester View Post
    I think the textures is causing the crashes. I have been experimenting with modeldb and the units that normally cause a crash at Minas Morgul worked when i assigned textures from units that worked all along. For instance the Gondor Captain with Gondor Bodyguard texture works.
    Good news! I still wonder why it only crashes under certain conditions.

I still wonder why it only crashes under certain conditions.
    Bad feng shui .
    Last edited by Taro_M; June 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

so far i have tested with Gondor Captain, Gondor Banner Carrier, Osgiliath vets and all of them worked when i changed their texture. I can test some other units this weekend and see if they share the same problem.

I would be grateful. If you manage to confirm that textures are at fault I will be able to to do something to fix those crashes.

testing went faster than i had thought. I went through Paradamed´s list from top to bottom and found that the following textures cause crashes.
    gondor winged swordsmen
    gondor family member
    gondor yeomen archers ug 1
    gondor yeomen archers ug 2
    gondor osgiliath veterans clean
    gondor osgiliath veterans
    gondor osgiliath veterans ug 1
    gondor banner carrier attachments
    gondor warden white tower attachments
    gondor minas ithil attachments
    ithilien rangers attachments

With these textures replaced the units work perfectly http://postimage.org/image/us9bu3ist/full/.

Hope this helps fix the problem.

Are those normals, diffuse or both?

sorry i should have been more specific. I was very thorough in my testing and I´m afraid both the normals and diffuse cause crashes on each and everyone.

Hmm that could mean that something might went wrong when I was converting textures (I usually do both at the same time). Could you make sure that both normals and diffuse textures crash MTW2?

i tested normals and diffuse line by line on each unit and crashes was always the result. I´m sure that both cause crashes.

Why cant I get a 3.1 version of TATW? Everytime I play a RTS battle on 3.1 I get a crash but when I play on a 3.2 it works. Cant wait until these units are compatible with 3.2.

And we are back to square one. I just tried renaming gondor_wardens_white_tower_attachments to gondor_soldiers_attachments and dropped it into the attachments_texture folder and it worked at Minas Morgul. which of course means that the textures are fine but their entry in modeldb is somehow causing the crashes. I don´t know about you guys but i´m stumped.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

This all sounds way too random for me. I can't come up with any logical reason why it should only crash at Minas Morgul when there is something wrong with the textures/modeldb entry. Maybe there is some kind of limit of...whatever... amount of textures in a battle? an it's reached with your units in Minas Morgul. Still doesn't make much sense. You could ask it in the mod workshop, maybe there are some people there who know what's going on.

BTW, when exactly are the crashes?

When loading battles. I had similar problem with my old Pinnath Gelin House Knights, that crashed game when I was attacking in siege sometimes.

I agree, this is way to random for my liking.

And we are back to square one. I just tried renaming gondor_wardens_white_tower_attachments to gondor_soldiers_attachments and dropped it into the attachments_texture folder and it worked at Minas Morgul. which of course means that the textures are fine but their entry in modeldb is somehow causing the crashes. I don´t know about you guys but i´m stumped.
    So it is modeldb entry? Good, I think we are getting closer to the source of the problem. Hmmm.... try giving gondor soldiers attachemnts lines from wardens and see if it works. This may be some silly problem like misspeled line, not counted correctly or missing space.
    Try using different sprite. This may be it.

Sorry for making you do the testing, but i dont have benox's mod installed as I worked further on my units.

This is really peculiar. I changed the name of gondor_wardens_white_tower to wardens_white_tower and it worked with the wardens of the white tower. But when i assign their texture to other units they crash. I tried the same thing with minas ithil guardians but only the normals loaded.

now i got wardens of the white tower and minas ithil guardians working. The crashes seem to have something to do with the file name. Does the file name affect modeldb?

Name of what exactly? modelsdb has to have all the names of all stuff concering unit (mesh name, textures names, sprites) + directory where that stuff is.

It appears to be one of those annoying problems with modelsdb where it just dosent work for some reason and you have to make new entry for unit that causes problems. I had that problems before.

I meant the file name in directory. I got all the units working now by changing their names in directory and adjusting their modeldb line to the same
    for instance gondor_warden_white_tower_diff -> warden_white_tower_diff.