Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [Campaign Release]Taro_M's New Units for gondor 2.1 for Clean 3.2 (Bug fixer patch)

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [Released]Taro_M's New Units for gondor - Campaign Release 1.0 ( For Vanilla 3.1 now with easy installer)

I can try it and see if it works. Ok, I have done some experiments. I used a vanilla 3.1 with no mods installed. I tested the siege of Minas Morgul with vanilla Gondor units just to guarantee it wouldnt crash. So with unmodded vanilla no crashes when sieging MM with gondorian units. I started my experiments by adding Taro-s new model for the general. I noticed that adding the new general model alone (no other unit added) would cause crashes in MM but not in a vanilla settlement (I tested on Cair Andros). Reverting back to the vanilla general would avoid the crashes. No crashes ocurred with the new general in normal battles, I mean not siege battles. So Im 100% sure the new general will cause crashes when sieging Minas Morgul. I have no idea why but I confirmed it. I also tried using all the new units but using vanilla general. The result is that I would also have crashes so there is definetely other unit than the general associated with crashes. I even tested Taro's old general for the 2.1 version and it would also cause crashes. I also tested the re-rigged general and it would also cause crashes. I have no idea why that occurs but there is something that makes it incompatible with the new custom settlements. I will test other units and report my findings.
    So Im continuing my tests adding units one by one.
    Adding rangers of Ithilien also causes crashes when sieging MM confirmed. Ok I also noticed the crashes dont even generate a log. Very weird.
    More bad news. Winged swordsmen will cause crash on MM too. Im starting to fear all new units will cause crash on MM cause they probably have some common element to them all.
    OK, finally GOOD NEWS. Gondor Levy swordsmen do not cause crashes on Minas Morgul, at least the unupgraded version doesnt. Ok, I tested both upgraded versions of levy swordsmen and no crashes. I will continue testing and reporting here.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Now we would need a detailed comparison of files to try to narrow down what part specifically of the unit could be causing crashes.
    Ok, I tested Gondor guardsmen and all upgrades for them with no crashes. I believe I will have no crashes with similar units like yeomen archers but i will test them just to be sure. They are next.

I skipped my order to make things easier so I tested guards of the tower and they are clean, no crashes.

Actually it even made up for a nice screenshot too. I will post it in the ss section too.
    Ok, things are getting exciting. More clean units.
    Citadel Guard clean.

Uh, oh, bad news. Wardens of the White Tower crash at MM.
    Minas Ithil guardians crash at MM. Im starting to believe that those units with parts of Turambar's gondor units are the ones associated with crashes.
    Gondor skirmishers clean

Osgiliath veterans crash at MM. Didnt even bothered to test the upgraded version. I will test the clean version and see what happens. Ok, actually i ended up testing the upgraded version just to be sure but it also crashed. The clean version of osgiliath veterans crashed too at MM.
    Good news which help us narrow down the problem. Gondor archers did not crash at MM meaning that it is not some problem related to Turamba's gondor soldiers since they use parts of turambar's stuff too. The cause of the crashes is probably something else.

More good news. Gondor swordsmen clean.

Gondor spearmen clean

Thank god Im close to the end cause this testing is boring as hell.
    Knights of MT clean

Fountain guards clean

Gondor pikemen clean

Hell yeah, excellent news. To my surprise even though ithilien rangers cause crash, master rangers of ithilien are clean,no crashes

Citadel guard archers clean

scouts clean

gondor cavalry with swords clean

Gondor cavalry with spears clean

Siege crews clean. I replaced gondor militia for test purposes so this is why thye are not carrying siege equipment. Since the siege equipment is unmodified we only needed to test the crew.

bodyguards both mounted and dismounted clean

Captain caused crashes on MM.
    Tested officers, all of them caused crash.
    Tested all banner carriers and all caused crash at Minas Morgul.
    Boromir in armour works fine. I tested not Taro_M's version but the version created by Emperor of Hell. Since it uses parts of Taro_M units I thought it was relevant to post it here.
    Last edited by paradamed; April 06, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: [Released]Taro_M's New Units for gondor - Campaign Release 1.0 ( For Vanilla 3.1 now with easy installer)

I tested every single unit including upgrades. So this is the final result tracking units associated with crashes:
    Standard:
    Gondor Spearmen clean
    Gondor Swordsmen clean
    Gondor Archers clean

Gondor Pikemen clean
    Gondor Bodyguards (+dismounted) clean (both mounted and dismounted)
    Gondor Cavalry clean (tested both versions, spear version and sword only version)
    Gondor Siege Crews (Catapult, Trebuchet, Ballista) clean ( in Benox's version the upgraded version is actually the vanilla second upgrade)
    Gondor Guardsmen clean
    Gondor Yeomen Archers crash
    Gondor Scouts clean
    Gondor Skirmishers clean
    Gondor Levy Swordsmen clean

Winged Swordsmen crash
    Guards of the Tower clean
    Family member crash
    Gondor captain crash
    gondor_officer crash
    gondor_officer_ug0.5 crash
    gondor_officer_ug1 crash
    gondor_banner_carrier crash
    gondor_banner_carrier_ug0.5 crash
    gondor_banner_carrier_ug1 crash
    Boromir in armour (Emperor of Hell version) clean

Regional:

Ithilien Rangers crash
    Master Rangers of Ithilien clean
    Citadel Guard clean
    Citadel Guard Archers clean
    Fountain Guard clean
    Wardens of the White Tower crash
    Knights of Minas Tirith clean
    Osgiliath Veterans crash
    Osgiliath Veterans (clean) crash
    Minas Ithil Guardians crash

I hope somebody will make a playable version removing the units responsible for crashes until a fix is done. If I have some free time I will do it myself but cant give a deadline.

I did a workaround and since the Gondor cavalry with swords work fine in MM I used them as replacements for the generals models and no crash

And this is the code if somebody wants to do it manually
    1 1
    70 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/gondor_cavalry_sword_ug1_lod0.mesh 6400
    6 sicily
    77 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/gondor_soldiers_ug1_diff.texture
    77 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/gondor_soldiers_ug1_norm.texture
    49 unit_sprites/sicily_gondor_cavalry_ug1_sprite.spr
    5 slave
    77 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/gondor_soldiers_ug1_diff.texture
    77 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/gondor_soldiers_ug1_norm.texture
    4 merc
    6 sicily
    106 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/attachments_textures/gondor_soldiers_attachments_diff.texture
    106 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/attachments_textures/gondor_soldiers_attachments_norm.texture 0
    5 slave
    106 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/attachments_textures/gondor_soldiers_attachments_diff.texture
    106 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/textures/attachments_textures/gondor_soldiers_attachments_norm.texture 0
    4 merc
    4 None
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    5 horse
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    8 elephant
    18 MTW2_Elephant_Crew 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    5 camel
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Last edited by paradamed; June 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

I have absolutely NO idea what is wrong.

BTW: Why does spearmen use swordsmen animations?

Anyway thanks for narrowing this down. I dont have Benox's mod installed as Im working on my version adding new units. So I will need to ask you to see what exactly cause crash. Take wardens and edit their models.db. Take entry of some working unit like gondor swordsmen and replace textures and model lines. then revert to Wardens lines ONE BY ONE this way we will know if its model problem.

Ive got an idea for easy testing: edit descr_strat to place gondorian army next to Minas morgul. Just add siege engine and you can test this in first turn. Aditional advantage is that you can easily edit that army to check every unit and upgrade.
    Last edited by Taro_M; March 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Im using a very similar method. I used move character command and sieged MM with a vanilla army then saved the game. I created the most simple battle possible. No reinforcements. I then replace entries with similar ones one by one so I could isolate the factor causing crash. Those that cause crash are then tested again on another siege in the same savegame. Ive been testing them in Osgiliath to make sure they will load correctly and it is not a coding problem. So every single unit that crashed in MM was tested in Osgiliath and none caused crash in Osgiliath but only in MM. This way Im 100% sure it is not a coding problem and is only related to the MM crash. The spearmen have swordsmen animation cause when I tested them I basically replaced the model used for gondor militia. By the way Im very glad to help since you are of of my favorite modellers and I really like your units. Even though it is very boring to test them one by one Im happy to be of any help.
    Last edited by paradamed; March 25, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Hmm so it seems this is model problem. This reminds me that I did encounter some odd stuff like units crashing game for no reason at all. They were rigged, grouped and stuff. Problem usually went away after converting them again.

BTW: Funny thing is that only those most awesome units crash the game . its like to awesome for MTW2 to render properly .

Quote Originally Posted by Taro_M View Post
    Hmm so it seems this is model problem. This reminds me that I did encounter some odd stuff like units crashing game for no reason at all. They were rigged, grouped and stuff. Problem usually went away after converting them again.

BTW: Funny thing is that only those most awesome units crash the game . its like to awesome for MTW2 to render properly .

But even weirder than a unit crashing for no reason at all is a unit that will only crash on MM and not on any other settlements. Anyway Im glad that most of the units are not associated with crashes. Too bad some of the coolest are the ones who crash the game. Im almost done with the testings, thank god. By the way how are things progressing with the Dol Amroth roster? Any chance to have a Dol Amroth release before you complete the other fiefdoms?
    Edit: Ok, tested all units and updated the final list. Green units are safe to be used in any mod. The ones in red are associated with crash at Minas Morgul and are not safe to be used until Taro figure out whats different about them that causes crash and hopefully fix them.
    Last edited by paradamed; March 26, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

It's weird it only crashes in MM. You could try it without MM being a custom settlement. Just go to descr_strat and search for Morgul-Vale. Change the faction_creator to england.

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

I'm constantly getting unspecified errors whenever I enter battle, I did a fresh install of Third Age, and re-downloaded this mod, but still same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I tested every single unit including upgrades. So this is the final result tracking units associated with crashes:
    Standard:
    Gondor Spearmen clean
    Gondor Swordsmen clean
    Gondor Archers clean

Gondor Pikemen clean
    Gondor Bodyguards (+dismounted) clean (both mounted and dismounted)
    Gondor Cavalry clean (only tested the sword version, I think Benox did not use the spear version, at least I couldnt find it)
    Gondor Siege Crews (Catapult, Trebuchet, Ballista) clean ( in Benox's version the upgraded version is actually the vanilla second upgrade)
    Gondor Guardsmen clean
    Gondor Yeomen Archers crash
    Gondor Scouts clean
    Gondor Skirmishers clean
    Gondor Levy Swordsmen clean

Winged Swordsmen crash
    Guards of the Tower clean
    Family member crash
    Gondor captain crash
    gondor_officer crash
    gondor_officer_ug0.5 crash
    gondor_officer_ug1 crash
    gondor_banner_carrier crash
    gondor_banner_carrier_ug0.5 crash
    gondor_banner_carrier_ug1 crash
    Boromir in armour (Emperor of Hell version) clean

Regional:

Ithilien Rangers crash
    Master Rangers of Ithilien clean
    Citadel Guard clean
    Citadel Guard Archers clean
    Fountain Guard clean
    Wardens of the White Tower crash
    Knights of Minas Tirith clean
    Osgiliath Veterans crash
    Osgiliath Veterans (clean) crash
    Minas Ithil Guardians crash

I hope somebody will make a playable version removing the units responsible for crashes until a fix is done. If I have some free time I will do it myself but cant give a deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSmurfin View Post
    I'm constantly getting unspecified errors whenever I enter battle, I did a fresh install of Third Age, and re-downloaded this mod, but still same problem.

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

Never mind wasn't because of the mod, daylights savings settings on my computer somehow messed it up.

I did a workaround and since the Gondor cavalry with swords work fine in MM I used them as replacements for the generals models and no crash

And this is the code if somebody wants to do it manually
    1 1
    70 unit_models/_Units/new_gondor_units/gondor_cavalry_sword_ug1_lod0.mesh 6400
    6 sicily
    5 slave
    4 merc
    6 sicily
    5 slave
    4 merc
    4 None
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    5 horse
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    8 elephant
    18 MTW2_Elephant_Crew 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0
    5 camel
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0

I read all of this and i hope that you guys find a fix for this as i just love this mod. Your textures are amazing and i would really like to play it with out the crashes. Also are you close to releasing a new version?

Benox's is very busy with studying so he dosnt have time at the moment.

Comandante's Avatar Libertus

oh man, cant wait till Benox fixes it. So far I have paused my game because of crashes every time I siege attack harad. It's a minor inconvenience but still playable with the auto_win feature XD.

Just checking in and was thrilled to see my guys incorporated into MOS, and even posted on the screenshots page! Great work keeping this mod alive and growing, Taro_M, vehillill, and Benox.

Hmm, crashing eh? I lost all my original files in a hard drive failure about a year ago, my TATW is totally out of date, and I don't have 3dsmax set up for these shenanigans anymore. Sorry that I probably can't be much help on that :-(
    Last edited by Turambar87; April 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

In that day Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, coming from the halls of Mandos; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Húrin and all Men be avenged.

Good to see you are still around.

wt183's Avatar Laetus

Nice work and all guys! I have a question... how do i incorporate these units if i have another mod installed like MOS? ty

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well, this apparently doesn't work with 3.2...
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Well, this apparently doesn't work with 3.2...
    3.2 just came out a few hours ago, give the guys a change to breath, they will get around to it

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charger Bolt View Post
    3.2 just came out a few hours ago, give the guys a change to breath, they will get around to it
    Oh I wasn't criticizing.

I downloaded the new patch and then had to reintegrate the submod, only it didn't work.

I was only stating my disappointment that I couldn't mess around with Taros units in the new patch
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele