MARCVS CASSIANIVS POSTVMVS/MARCVS CALPVRNIVS BESTIA

PRAETOR
    MANIVS AQVILLIVS TVSCVS

QVAESTOR
    GAIVS TIBERIVS MAXIMINIVS

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    AVLVS LICINIVS CALDIVS

Default Re: ANNO DLV - TRANQUILIVS ET ANNALIS

Siculus was the first man to enter the Curia, eager to return after 5 years outside of Italy. As a member of one of the oldest families in the city, a lineage that dated back to the old Kings of Alba Longa, he did not take his defeat in the elections lightly. As the other senators arrived, he did not do much to greet them beyond answering their salutations, never trying to shake their hands, resentful as he knew at least most of them had not supported his campaign. Deciding to sit at the very last row of seats, he leaned back, arms crossed, and waited for the session to begin.

Tuscus entered, very satisfied with being praetor again. Once more he had won without any competition, his last candidate had resigned and disappeared. And this time he didn't had anything to do with it either. He smiled, his offers to Jupiter and Juno had not been in vain. The state would prosper as long as he was in a position of considerable influence. The curia was still quite empty and he spotted no noteworthy other senators except for a fellow patrician, senator Siculus. Although Manius his own vote had been in favour of the elder Postumus he still thought he should be on friendly foot with all patricians. He nodded and smiled at the man as he passed him.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Caldius enters the Curia, more confident than ever. With his position as Tribune and Scipio's mysterious death he might finally have his war, not to mention that he could put some of his least favourite Senators in their places.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Marcus slowly walks into the Curia, his staff in his rigth hand. He had a limp, and his coughing was back. IT appeared that not even the Hispanic air could cure him. "No matter" he thought, as he sat down. He was the Consul! He also decided that he wold deal with all political matters, and let his other consul deal with the militaryr, as he is much to old to be dabbling in that nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Maximinius enters the Curia,and sits on the right hand side with his friends, satisfied over his recent victory in the elections.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cotta enters with such little fanfare that one hardly notices him until he takes his seat.

Lord Lovidicus's Avatar Libertus

Julian enters the Curia, and takes a seat on the right hand side. He is a relatively unknown senator, so not many people noticed him arrive. He patiently awaited the Session to begin.

Quintus slowly walked over to the seat next to Maximinius and sat down.

Senatores, while our Quaestor and Consuls work on thier reports, If I may start, we ought to do something to find the murderers of general Scipio, and especially, I believe its not far fetched to wonder about the existance of traitors within our ranks. Plebeians, slaves, even senators in this very house! We should investigate!

The murder of Scipio Africanus would cause him a hard time. A sick way of revenge. Personally, Manius doubted that Hannibal had anything to do with this. A brutal fighter he was but even Hannibal had his honour. This had not been honour. This was a great act of cowardice. He stood up and shuffled forwards. 'You are absolutely right, senator Siculus. I will assure you as the praetor of Rome that I will do my utmost best to catch the cowards that murdered the glorious Scipio Africanus.' Scipio would have gotten that title with the triumph but he never received it. Still, he would go down in history as Africanus, the one who defeated Hannibal. 'As we speak I have people working to find any clues. Of course it is simple to point at Hannibal and his Punic dogs but perhaps we have enemies within our sacred walls! But fear not, conscript fathers, the persons who conspired against Rome shall be brought to justice.' With that sentence he shuffled back and took his seat. He drifted away in his thoughts. With Scipio gone he had lost a valuable ally, the Cornelii where almost unrepresented now. If just Vibius would find something..

Marcus’ knees wobble as he stands. “Fellow Senators” he bellows, in his rich, baritone voice, only slightly weakened from when he was younger, “as you all know the great hero Scipio Africanus, who killed the Punic dogs, is dead!” He wheezes “I hear chatter amongst you, that spies and traitors are in our midst! I unfortunately, agree with you. The spies could even be one of us! We also know that the cities in Hispania are near rebelling! I believe that Carthaginian spies have infiltrated the cities there, and are attempting to regain control over Hispania’s gold mines. This cannot happen, as we lost much Roman blood while fighting off Hannibal Barca’s invasions. I propose that we tax the citizens in Hispania less, and build watch forces there from the retired officers that inhabit the fields around those cities. I also propose that we investigate into the killing of Scipio, as well as the background of all of the senators here. Marcus leans on his staff as he listens for responses.
    OOC: This is the first real speech I’ve ever done for YATS. How did I do, and how can I improve?
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Manius smiled friendly at the elder consul. 'There is no reason to propose that we shall investigate the murder of Africanus, dear consul. I had taken the liberty to start the investigation yesterday, we should lose no time with finding those who conspired against our former consul!' The murder of Scipio would surely divert the attention of the murders on the Aventine. Not that he would give that any attention. Not as long as he had a firm grip on the law.

Can we assume that Carthage was behind this? It seems foolish that they would provoke a new war so soon after their last defeat, even the most savage of the Gauls know when they are beaten. But if it is proven that Carthage was involved then we must consider it an act of war, and avenge the death of a true Roman by sacking Carthage itself!

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cotta stands for the first time, and you notice now that his beard grows unkempt in mourning. He begins to speak. "What a truly dark day... to have lost such a paragon of Roman virtue. This affront shall not go unpunished by the gods themselves. Nevertheless, we should do everything we must to track this avaricious traitor! That is correct! A traitor! No Punic dog has committed this treason, oh no! Some servile cur of baseborn blood this violence has brought! Jealous of the dignitas that Scipio earned on bloody fields of woe, a worthless rogue, poisonous in words and by means, ruthlessly ended the tale of our hero. I do not know if the bandit by his own jealousy was fueled or that of his he who gave him coin, but make no mistake: envy was the cause, the root of our strife. Jealousy, that most evil of vices that tears kingdoms asunder and breaks families on the rocks of Fortuna! Within the very heart of our republic runs a current blacker that Dis, and its source surely stems from one in this room. So, Conscript Fathers, who amongst you is vile enough in manner and mind to have cast down the greatest titan of our Republic?"

Maximinius stands and clears his throat, indicating he is about to speak.
    " most noble senators, this is the report on the situation of the republic"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Italia, Corsica and Sardinia.
    Cities,garrisons and happiness.- angry-red, unhappy-blue,content-yellow,happy-green
    medionalon-angry,taxes medium 0% public order, No garrison
    Patavium- angry taxes medium 0% percent public order, no garrison
    Bononia-angry taxes low 10% public order. No garrison
    Genoa-angry taxes low 35%public order. 1 general
    Arretium-happy, taxes low 100% public order. No garrison
    Ariminum-content,taxes low %100 public order 1 general
    Roma-happy, very high taxes 130% public order 1 general
    Capua-content,high taxes 85%public Order,1 general. ROMAN REBEL ARMY OUTSIDE
    Cannae- angry, high taxes, 65% public order no garrison
    tarentum- angry, medium taxes, 70% public order. 1 general
    crotona- rebelled
    rhegion-rebelled
    messana- unhappy,very high taxes, 80% publicp order.1 general,1 cohort
    Syracuse- content, low tax, 100% public order.1 general, 5 under strength polybian cohorts, 2 u der strength allied Cohorts, 2 roman Triarii, 2 Greek slingers
    Akragas-happy, very high tax,140%public order. 1 general
    lilybaeum-angry, very high tax, 65% public order. 1 general
    caralis-very happy, very high tax,155% public order. 1 general, 2 allied cohorts, 2 allied Triarii, 1 allied cavalry, 2 Greek slingers
    Aleria, content, high tax, 100% public order. 1 general, 1 allied cohort
    Hispania
    Emporiae content,medium tax, 90% public order, 1 military tribune, 2 allied cohorts, 1 allied cavalry, 1 allied velites,1 allied Triarii, 3 polybian cohorts.
    Sagunton, angry, low tax,55% public order. 2 allied Triarii, 2 allied velites
    Baikor- angry,low tax, 65% public order. 2 under strength arevaci spearmen, 1 under strength Balearic slinger, 1 under strength arevaci cavalry.
    Carthago Nova-angry, low tax,0% public order,2 roman Triarii, 1 allied velites
    gadir- angry,low tax,35% public order, 1 general, 2 allied Triarii, 1 allied velites.

Greece
    Dyrrhachium- unhappy, very high tax, 75% public order, 4 polybian cohorts, 2 roman Triarii, 2 roman equites, 2 allied velites.
    Apollonia- angry, high tax, 65% public order, 1 general, 2 roman velites, 1 allied Triarii, 1 levy pikemen, 1 taxeis hoplite
    Standing armies
    Gnaeus furious purpureo- epirote coast,
    1 general, 1 military tribune, 1 roman equites, 2 campanile cavalry, 2 allied velites, 4 polybian cohorts, 2 allied Triarii

General Titus, southern hispania.

1 military tribune, 1 roman equites,2 allied equites, 2 roman Triarii, 2 roman *velites, 1 allied velites, 1 allied Triarii, 6 polybian cohorts, 4 allied cohorts

Out of debt apparently, making 17k according to the finances ( could be unreliable)

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Caepio rubbed his eyes, Disband all the cohorts, what were you thinking Cotta?
    It is my suggestion that the Consul immediatly retrieves the Legion in Macedonia and defeat the rebellion as swiftly as possible. We cannot allow the remaining cities to see us as weak. I advise the Consuls to start at Capua to clear out the rebel presence there and prevent the rebellion of Italy's second and least reliable city. Further more I move that garrisons in Italy be re-established post haste to impose Roman authority over those who might seek to take advantage of our situation. My proposal is formalised in this bill, I urge the senate to support it.

Lex Sextius
    I. The Legion in Macedonia be moved to South Italy to defeat the Italian rebel alliance and retake the cities. The order of re-conquest be at the Consuls' descretion.
    II. Garrisons of 3 units be re-established in cities that border no foreign faction. Larger garrisons in northern Italy to be made at the Consuls' descretion.

Maximinius stands, and clears his throat.
    What ludicrous thought entered Cotta's mind to disband the entire army?
    "I Second this motion"

I agree with this motion. A vote will be carried out to see if the bill will be passed.