Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 08/05/2021)

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 14/2/12)

It has not been a good week for Rome, by any measure. Good to see The Most Excellent Salutius about though, and Valentinian too. I trust Julianus leaves Gaul in good hands, but the situation in Mauretania is unravelling. And your economy seems to be spiralling too.

Can't wait to see what Julianus is up to. Is he marching on Italy, against the self-imposed King, or going straight to the jugular in Illyria with Constantius II?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Lovely updates here! I thought the retreat and proclamation of Julian was an inspired piece of AAR writing there and I like the way the resy of the AAR is developing! Keep up the good work.

This is very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    It has not been a good week for Rome, by any measure. Good to see The Most Excellent Salutius about though, and Valentinian too. I trust Julianus leaves Gaul in good hands, but the situation in Mauretania is unravelling. And your economy seems to be spiralling too.

Can't wait to see what Julianus is up to. Is he marching on Italy, against the self-imposed King, or going straight to the jugular in Illyria with Constantius II?
    I must admit, the finances are starting to worry me a little and it can all go pear shaped in Mauretania and just ruin the fiscal balance (or imbalance) even more. As for Julianus, not this update but in the next one you shall see his course of action...fire, ash and blood shall be left in his wake...

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Lovely updates here! I thought the retreat and proclamation of Julian was an inspired piece of AAR writing there and I like the way the resy of the AAR is developing! Keep up the good work.
    Thank you very much...I just took liberties with Julianus' initial proclamation at Strasbourg (IRL) with this part of the AAR and thought it fit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    This is very nice!
    Thanks mate, glad to see you reading.

Chapter XII: Silencing the Tyrant

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Tiberius ignored the stabbing cold of the frigid waters off the Frisian coast, as he launched himself from the lead quinquireme and sloshed ashore. He carried just his shield and sword, preferring to travel light. Behind him came successive splashes as more men disembarked and made their way through the shallow water. They moved with purpose; the milites musculari first came ashore, the Roman marines, followed by detachments from the Mattiaci and leones palatina units and three cohorts of the Britones Seniores, the elite of the British field army. Backing the infantry were the Sarmatian cavalry and the Cataphracts, which Tiberius would hope be the decisive factor against the Franks.

Tiberius took a great risk, not that he was averse to such behaviour. The Gaels monger war from beyond Hadrian's Wall, threatening to invade and cause all manner of terror.. His plan was a lightning strike in the Frankish lands, on the other side of the Lower Rhenus. He had to act fast due to the problems the Gaels would most likely create in his absence. Tiberius had departed hastily, to show his support for Julianus' claim to the throne before the deceitful Comes Britaniae Magnentius could intervene and put a stop on the expedition.

'Come on, move!'
    he ordered his men as they fought against the water to assemble on shore. 'We must be quick about this!' Tiberius was glad to be a shore, after having to endure two nerve shattering sea battles against pirates just to make this stretch of coach. Pirates had blockaded the port of Londinium, only to be utterly destroyed. Then as they closed in on the coastline, a host of pirates attacked from a sheltered cove, catching them nearly unaware. Fast thinking from the Admiral had rescued what could have been a horrific defeat and the loss of an entire army at sea.

An office came up alongside him. 'The men have disembarked sir. Your orders?'

'We march in one hour...get the men ready, have them assembled for forced marching. Anything not necessary for battle have it left behind. This must be quick and decisive. If all goes well it will make the Gallic armies task all the more easier. There must be no hesitation...nor will there be any mercy. Is that understood?'

The officer nodded in the affirmative, saluted and left. Soon they were off, a large army hoping to strike swiftly and remorselessly, to end the terror of the Frankish raids.

Ammianus Pescenius could not sleep. He had not slept well in the time he had assumed the Kingship of Italy...or more precisely that of Verona and Ravenna. Though he had waged a campaign of terror against his enemies to try and shore up his position, intrigues and conspirators still lurked. He found himself disagreeing even with trusted generals, in the planned advance against Rome that he begun to suspect them of working against him. Moonlight bathed the windows of the Imperial palace, casting an unearthly hue through the stained glass, giving Ammianus an even more terrifying appearance. He could sleep only for short bursts at best, his visions haunted by the faces of the dead, those pitiful pleading senators he had dispatched. The leaches of Constantius, the sycophants of Julianus, anyone who did not support him. All dead.

Thoughts of Rome also kept him up...the access to such fabulous wealth (or what was left) and the cavalry of the household guard also excited him. Having such powerful men under his sway. He could have Italy by the end of the year if he wanted, so he kept saying to himself. From there, if he could repel the expected attacks from the Empire, he could almost do as he pleased. The anarchy of the Empire exited him. It played into his hands nicely.

Ammianus opened up a window and looked out with bleary, blood shot eyes, beholding the illumination of the braziers placed at intervals that cast an orange glow throughout the palace. Oddly, he could not see any guards doing patrols. Perhaps they had passed from view. Yes, that was the case. Their rounds had simply taken them beyond his sight. Still, a seed of paranoia planted itself in the corner of his mind. He quickly closed the windows and turned around. It too was extremely quiet inside.

He slowly set off towards his chambers when he heard a clattering sound, like that of a spear falling onto the tiles. Ammianus spun quickly but could not see anything through the distorted light offered by the moon. Ammianus hastened his pace down the hallway. Stopping for a second, he thought he could hear quick pitter patter sounds of feet treading lightly but quickly on the tiles. What is this? He muttered. 'Guards!' he called out.

From somewhere in the gloom a voice called out. 'They wont be coming...they are all dead!' Ammianus was shocked. 'Dead?' he choked. 'Yes...dead. That is what happens when you force plebians to stand guard over a King..they die quite easily' The intruder chuckled. 'Now, Ammianus Pescinius, you will pay for your crimes...restoring the forbidden Kingship...wanton murder and theft, rape, arsonry. You will answer to all charges' A cloaked figure stood from a dark corner and strode every so deliberately towards Pescennius.

Pescennius stumbled backwards in fear, groping hopelessly along the wall for anything to fight back with. He came upon a door, not locked, which opened up on him as he pressed against it. He tumbled in an undignified manner, sprawling all over the floor. The intruder simply stepped into the room and towered above the pathetic figure in front of him, who scuttled backwards and then backed himself into a corner. With a flourish, the hood was swept from the intruders head.

Ammianus looked on in horror as he recognised his killer. It was not one of his own men. It was a man he had met a few nights before at a banquet. He could not quite remember how it came to be, but the man proclaimed himself John of Damascus a sympathiser for the fledgling Italian Kingdom and the pair had talked much of the night, shoring up phony relations between the two rebel kingdoms. 'You are an impostor' he spat.

'John' laughed. 'An imposter? No, no...there is no John of Damascus, at least not that I am aware of him. I am however, Felix, the agentes in rebus of Flavius Claudius Julianus, now Augustus' Ammianus kept a straight face but was shocked. 'What of Constantius? Is he dead?'

'No he isn't...not yet anyway. Make of that what you will...enough of this prattle. Hands and knees, now' Felix ordered. Ammianus started trembling. 'Please, I beg for clemency from Augustus...I renounce my claim to the throne. I will enthusiastically support his reign...please!' Felix watched the pitiful blabbering of a condemned man. The sounds of his protests grated his ears. He quickly unsheathed his sword and beheaded him in one fluent move.

Felix bent down and clasped the head by the hair and held it aloft. 'Just another footnote in the long history of Rome...none shall mourn your passing. False claimants always receive their due' he mused. A wooden box was produced and the head was dumped in it. Once sealed, Felix quickly exited the palace
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 17/2/12)

Man you should write murder novels. The exploits of Felix the Assassin are quickly becoming some of my favourite reading in your AAR, you write it all so well, the suspense, the dialogue, the actual killing and fleeing. Love it.

Also really liked the little amphibious 'raid' you've organised into Frankia. Crush those unsuspecting tribal scum! Trample them underfoot!

Lovely tight writing there - all conveying a goood sense of drama and action! I am looking forward to seeing how Tiberius fares in Gaul . . .

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

That is some most excellent writing, I especially love Felix and his deeds of 'darewing do'. Look forward to more.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Double + rep!! Finally caught up, I blame Knofoda, SBH and McScottish as I always read their updates, but I've neglected this. No more. Riveting, frankly a damn good read.

Man you should write murder novels. The exploits of Felix the Assassin are quickly becoming some of my favourite reading in your AAR, you write it all so well, the suspense, the dialogue, the actual killing and fleeing. Love it.

Also really liked the little amphibious 'raid' you've organised into Frankia. Crush those unsuspecting tribal scum! Trample them underfoot!
    If I may be honest, I thought that little storyline was a bit silly however seeing as you like it so much, Felix will definitely have to crop up more often. I thought I'd better end that particularly story line as it had been sitting there but now Felix shall be put to other nefarious uses

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Lovely tight writing there - all conveying a goood sense of drama and action! I am looking forward to seeing how Tiberius fares in Gaul . . .
    Cheers...Tiberius appears prominently in the next couple of updates as it all starts to get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    That is some most excellent writing, I especially love Felix and his deeds of 'darewing do'. Look forward to more.
    Another Felix fan...excellent. Stay tuned for more stealthy acts of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Double + rep!! Finally caught up, I blame Knofoda, SBH and McScottish as I always read their updates, but I've neglected this. No more. Riveting, frankly a damn good read.
    Thanks, its great to have you reading and your awfully kind. Its nice to see this story attracting the sort of attention that the other big AARs are getting. It just warms the soul

Chapter XIII: Deliberations
    'This business of dethroning an Emperor is a tiring one Maximianus' said Julianus wearily, rubbing his temples to try and drive away the tension. 'If it is not the Franks and that idiot Florentius, then it is the Berbers...or now the Quadi spilling over the Danuvius. Events are getting too complicated'

Maximianus sat across from Julianus. 'I am confident everything shall fall into place before long dominus' he stated confidently. 'And what do you base such optimism upon Tribune...have you consulted the oracles, divined the intestines of a bull, witnessed the flight of the eagles?' Julianus said, perhaps just a little too irritably. Maximianus went bright red at Julianus' invective. 'My lord...' Julianus put up his hand apologetically. 'Please Maximianus forgive my short temper...I know you mean well and yes, you could well be right...however I feel as if I stand in a flooding river, its waters up to my neck'

The Tribunis Comes relaxed, as did Julianus, still massaging his temples. 'Where is Avidius? And where is Liscinius?' queried Julianus. 'This will not be done any faster if they continue to dawdle.' Several other high ranking officers sat in a circular shape. Julianus could have elevated himself above his men, as Emperors were wont to do but he chose to remain on level terms. It was still early in the piece for all this. They sat quietly for several moments waiting for the stragglers. 'I have sent for Nevitta, he shall be arriving in a week' stated Julianus suddenly. One of the officers glanced up. 'So he can bore us all to death is that it my lord?' In spite of himself, Julianus chuckled softly. Maximianus laughed loudly. 'Yes, Nevitta can be incredibly tedious when he speaks' agreed Julianus. 'When he does, its like he has taken the road from Rome to Ctesiphon and then back when trying to get his point across' the first officer observed. Julianus laughed a little louder this time, personally grateful for a little humour to lighten his heavy mood. 'Whilst oratorical skills may not be so highly valued these days, his skill as a cavalry commander will be of use and he has a sound strategical mind' said the Emperor seriously this time.

Avidius and Liscinius finally arrived, offering profuse apologies for their tardiness. They removed their layers of warm clothing, having endured the bitter winds that assailed the encampment. A fiercer than usual storm buffeted their encampment in old Cisalpine Gaul. 'We must devise a sound and competent strategy for our coming campaign, as I fear things could very well spiral out of our hands if we are not careful' Julianus announced. 'I seek your council, as you are all experienced men of war. What do we do...do we bother in crushing this abhorrent Kingdom of Italy or shall we march forth to Constantinople and put aside Constantius once and for all?'

Maximianus spoke first. 'Well my lord, firstly, what would you have?' 'I am of a mind to continue our march east in haste...the longer we delay, the more he can shore up his position' explained Julianus. Several other men agreed with his assessment. 'I sense you do not agree however, Maximianus' Maximianus looked at an unravelled scroll, detailing the entirety of the Empire. 'Well...it would make sense to directly challenge your rival in such matters...yet I feel we must garner as much support first as we go, otherwise we may leave in our wake areas that are still loyal to Constantius. If we march at once to Ravenna, we can destroy this pathetic rebel Kingdom and in turn display that you should be the rightful Emperor, to showcase your benevolence and wisdom in matters of state'

'I suspect that Italy will fall very quickly to us if Ravenna herself falls' offered Liscinius. 'Avidius?' queried Julianus. 'Everything that the Tribunis Comes says is correct. It may delay us a little while eastwards but support is everything in these matters. Legitimacy is the key'.

'Perhaps I should begin minting coins in my name and have them distributed' the Emperor wondered. 'Yes do that, my Lord, that should help your case. Once we have Italy, this should open up our tax bases more. I cannot say if it will restore everything, as the region herself has been left to rot but it will be better than nothing' Maximianus offered.

'Very well...Italy it is. Then we march east. However, I hear disturbing news from my agentes in rebus in Pannonia that the Quadi have forded the river and begun laying waste to the region. They have captured Carnuntum and I think a small band have plundered their way into Aquelia'

'We destroy them along the way' said Liscinius seriously. The men laughed at the cavalry commanders straightforward views. Always blunt and to the point. Unlike Nevitta. 'Easier said than done I'd hazard. They have exceptional cavalry in their midst' countered Maximianus. 'A bit of cunning will be needed here...negotiating with them as well'

Liscinius scoffed. 'They are two faced dogs...they say one thing whilst meaning another. They do not control all of those under their banner and that they make no apologies for. Fire and blood is the only answer for them'

'We simply do not have the men at this stage to be confronting them head on Liscinius, though I do agree they must be eradicated...or at least absorbed under the Empire's banner. If we have to fight them the we must but I wish to pursue diplomacy at this stage. However, if they play up then the Empire has a very long memory that wont soon forget..'

Almost without been seen, a courier slipped in and placed several dispatches with Julianus. He quickly read through them. 'Good news my lord?' Julianus didn't say anything at first. 'To the first one, yes...Felix has killed the rebel King. The empire hasn't dissolved but they are essentially headless. As to the second point...it will hopefully be. I see Valentinianus has brought in Tiberius Secundus to fight. He has invaded on the Frisian coast and already defeated a strong contingent of Franks. It says he besieges the capital of the region however...the Frankish King has come to their rescue along with another of his warlords. Their numbers are much smaller than Tiberius but they are exceptional warriors. May the Gods be with them'

After a few more minutes discussing the Mauritanian crisis (not that Julianus would be able to intercede in it properly anyway...all of them placing faith in Vibius, an unknown quantity and Verennianus) the meeting broke up, Julianus declaring that they shall march upon Ravenna as soon as the storm clears.

MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 18/2/12)

Brilliant stuff, really does my mornings to wake up and have something nice to read!

I'm surprised at your own surprise at Felix' success with the readers. I think you don't give yourself enough credit for the way you set the scenes up, they are very good. I thought you were going for a sort of story arc with him, because you've used him twice now. But I suppose he will only be around till he gets that one mission he does not come back from, unless he is spectacularly good, and even then there are only some targets that have a 10-12% chance anyway.

I'm liking how Nevitta is being portrayed too lol!

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Superb! More! More! More!

Brilliant stuff, really does my mornings to wake up and have something nice to read!

I'm surprised at your own surprise at Felix' success with the readers. I think you don't give yourself enough credit for the way you set the scenes up, they are very good. I thought you were going for a sort of story arc with him, because you've used him twice now. But I suppose he will only be around till he gets that one mission he does not come back from, unless he is spectacularly good, and even then there are only some targets that have a 10-12% chance anyway.

I'm liking how Nevitta is being portrayed too lol!
    Thanks for that and yes, your right about the story arc. This time though I think I will have to get him into even more stickier situations. I have just seen something on the map that would suit it perfectly....muwahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Superb! More! More! More!
    Well, seeing as you asked.....

....just a short one tonight, only just reassembled the PC after removing it so I could paint the living room over the weekend (and my day off too...boooo!). That turned into something bigger than Ben Hur...or Knonfoda's Julianus epic. There's a new saying for you now, I can see it catching on

Chapter XIV: Race Against Time

Tiberius was bloody and weary. Dismounted, he stood on a veritable mountain of corpses surveying the landscape. His men where in the act of cleaning up the battlefield. Not one but two. Two battles had been fought here. Each as savage as the last. With its butt jammed firmly into the ground, a long spear stood erect with a ghastly 'banner' erected on top. They were two heads driven onto the spear shaft. Bloodied, scraped, battered. Grotesque.

One had a defiant scowl etched forever on his face. The other looked wide eyed with terror, the last thing it had seen been the swinging blade of an enraged legionary.

King Chlodio and Merovaeus.

Just as Tiberius had ordered...no mercy. The two mighty war chiefs had fallen in battle. One of the soldiers limped to Tiberius with several objects in his hands. He tossed them to his feet and they rolled macabrely about boots. 'King Chlodio and his lacky my lord' The soldier then spat at the heads and walked off. Tiberius grinned. He ordered a cavalry man to impale the heads. 'Let this be a lesson to those who try and screw with Rome!' he shouted to his men. They cheered at the sight of the two trophies of war. It was very much barbarian like, taking heads as ornaments but Tiberius didn't care. This was a savage war and no quarter would be given. He looked down the valley towards the village and imagined it on fire. Then came the second army. Twice as large as the first but nowhere near as mighty and fearsome. One unit rout sparked another, which in turn invoked a whole scale rout which in turn became a hunt for as many kills as possible. Thirty thousand Franks fled for their lives, scarcely any getting away. Bodies lay strewn for hundreds of meters.

Men moved about collecting this and that. Some dragged the Franks onto big piles and dumped them. Roman victims were treated with reverence and buried in mass graves. Tiberius had taken serious casualties. The Marines were decimated, necessitating four cohorts merged into two and the Mattiaci and Leones cohorts merged into one a piece. He could ill afford another battle like that. Anymore and he'd be wiped out. He thought of Pyrrhus centuries ago and his costly victory over the Romans.

Tiberius watched the massive piles of Frankish bodies burn. His men were allowed some much needed respite. Coming from behind him, he could hear the distant thudding of hooves on turf. He swung around, as did several other of his body guards. Just about ready to call his men to be ready, he breathed a sigh of relief when he observed the standard was that of a fellow Roman. The visitors hailed the battered army and a man quickly dismounted. 'Tiberius Secundus?' one man asked looking around at all before him. 'By the gods!' he breathed as he observed the sheer carnage spread out before him.

'It is I trooper' announced Tiberius, walking towards the cavalryman from behind a group of men. The horseman could scarcely believe the bodies before him and was momentarily dumbstruck. 'Well, what is it?' Tiberius snapped the horsemen back into reality. 'Sir! Salutius Secundus wishes to announce he has arrived over the Rhenus and is just several miles from our current locations. He informs you that another Frankish army is heading to your position, numbering some fifteen to twenty thousand men...' Tiberius sighed. 'Where the hell do they all come from?' he threw his hands exasperatedly into the air. 'He says they are still some way from here as we speak. He says if you make for the capital now, you may be able to capture it before they arrive...though it will be close. From there he will take care of this other army'

Tiberius looked around at his battle weary but elated men, taking the time to fix weapons, heal wounds and get some sleep. He would have to awake them and force them to march hard in their current state of weariness. Fortunately the garrison at the capital was almost non existant. Batter the walls down and storm in, kill all in sight...it could be done.

'Thank you trooper. Send my regards to Salutius Secundus' He turned and spoke quickly to a subordiante. 'Get the men up and ready to make for the village. Have the rams picked up as well...if we are lucky they wont have found where we hid them. Go' Soon the area was a flurry of activity, exhausted men picking themselves off the ground gingerly, becoming animated as soon as they learned of the situation. Looming in the distance, flanked by the sea and the low rolling hills, was the capital of Frisia, offering their terrible Gods sacrifices to protect them from the Romans and to hope that their reinforcements would arrive in time...
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 20/2/12)

Their reinforcements shall not arrive in time...AH-HAH-HAH-HAAAAAAAAR!

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Short but sweet. I just had an epic battle of my own, so I know the feeling! I'm not too familiar with this mod, so I really don't understand the situation in Italy but what you have written about that situation is riveting.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Ancient proverb say, "Single man who start to paint one wall, will paint one wall. Married man who start to paint one wall, will paint at least 4!"

Short and bloody and thoroughly satisfying, the last screenshot captures the moment nicely.

Nice. I like the cut of Tiberius' jib!

Excellent, although you seem to have lost a lot of men. Those Auxilia Palatinae, the Brachiati and Leones Iuniores, are quite lightly armoured.

Yes, poor old Tiberius did suffer some heavy casualties. It was that first battle against the King, his men were veterans. Thankfully my greater numbers ground them down. The Mattiaci and all that are ok troops...so long as you don't let them get chopped to pieces by axes. This is a lesson I am continually learning with them. I always forget.

Chapter XVI: At the Gates
    In Mauretania, taking to the field, Vibius is greeted with a rather strange sight. The ground is blanketed in snow and it continues to fall quite heavily. Having fallen back from Russadir, his army can move no more and now must confront the Berbers who attacked him whilst trying to reclaim the town. It is extremely difficult to make out the Berbers in the distance.

They close in however, seemingly oblivious to the unseasonable snow storm. The Berbers attack both wings of the Roman main line. The Roman infantry put up a stout resistance as the Roman cavalry arrive to drive off the Berber's.

As the bulk of the Berber infantry advance, Vibius has a rush of blood to the head and orders his entire line forward. The hasty orders thankfully do not prove troublesome however a cohort of the limitanei become seperated from the rest and are put to flight. It is the only blight on an otherwise successful battle for Vibius, though he has taken moderate casualties. His exhausted horsemen attempt to chase down as many of the Berbers as possible who are all but destroyed.

Vibius then moves back in position to beseige Russadir with his celebrating troops. Verenianus has just recently arrived to the east.

'Hurry you maggots!' Tiberius harangues his men as they groan and grunt, straining to move the battering rams to the walls. He has three and will concentrate on the section of the pallisade before him. The flimsy woodwork of the barbarians will be no match for Roman engineering. Yet as the rams push forward he is startled to see flaming arrows shoot from small towers mounted along the walls.

'Move move move!!!' He can see what is about to happen. The ram becomes a mobile torch, as the material catches alight, burning several of those tasked to push it. He grimaces as he sees the men fail and run around, burning like camp fires. They die horrific deaths away from the main battle, as the Franks manning the archery towers take pot shots at the burnt men. Tiberius grits his teeth, rage building at the cruelty of the Franks. One ram is well and truly alight and it is not long before it is reduced to ash.

To further goad him, the second ram catches fire as well. 'Oh come on now! Give us a break!' he screams and tosses his helmet to the ground. In his anger he fails to notice the third and final ram has moved too close to the walls to be shot at effectively. 'Sir! Sir! The ram is at the walls!' Tiberius stops, red faced and sweating from his outburst and looks up. 'Finally something goes right! Titus, get the Britones Seniores in advancing order, they are going in behind the ram...now!' The general orders his men around, his mood brightening though the thoughts of the advancing Franks still in his mind. His scouts had yet to observe them.

The packed timbers are quickly destroyed by the ram head. It's dragged out of the way and soon the legions pour through like an unstoppable tide. The Franks by now can be seen to the south of the village, marching steadily towards their position. He had yet to get all his men in. Those wise enough had already fled the Roman advance, others had huddled in their huts and wherever they could. Manning the village square was a single warband and three cavalrymen, remnants of some previously annihilated Antrostja bodyguard.

The 1st cohort of the Britones Seniores ascends the mound which forms the centre of the village. To their surprise, the three horsemen charge crazily at them. They lose their nerve as they touch their ranks, fleeing back behind the warband. They themselves are wracked with fear, knowing that death awaits them. The Romans swarm onwards just as the Franks near the walls. With renewed frenzy, they start hacking the remaining warband to pieces.

Tiberius rides back towards the breach. Archers are stationed on the mound and he can see the Franks pass close by. They take missile fire yet show no inclination to force their way in and reclaim the village. His men abuse them from their positions after having decimated the warband. 'They are too scared to attack!' jeered one soldier.

Tiberius watched silently, carefully observing the Franks move beyond the village and take up position. 'Salutius will take care of them' He could in fact see up just on the ridge of the valley, the forces of Roman magister, getting ready to attack. He turned back towards the village. 'Now, what to do with this arse end of a village' he wondered aloud .

He walked up to where a large group of Frisians had been captured. They were filthy and frightened. Tiberius called for his 'trophy'. He tossed it down onto the ground in front of the gathering. 'Behold your mighty King. See what happens when you people grow too big for your boots. You die in your thousands and I collect the heads of Kings. Will you submit to Rome or will you continue to defy us?' he asked in a taunting voice. Bravely one man stood up, a heavily moustachioed man with fearless blue eyes. He wore just trousers, his torso revealing multiple lacerations from a hard life. He spat at Tiberius and said nothing. He did not need to.

Tiberius smiled a cold smile. 'Well then. I am sure most of you wish to live...but your friend here has condemned you to death' He turned to the soldiers behind him. 'Have fun lads...burn the goddamned place down' The legions hollered and whooped and started dragging away screaming women, killing and raping with impunity. Buildings quickly caught a light and soon the capital of Frisia was nothing more than a open air crematorium.

Heavily bearded, greying at that and moving somewhat slower these days, Nevitta maintained a dignified air as he walked through the main via of the legionary encampment that Julianus had erected outside Ravenna. He marvelled at the construction of the great city takers, towering timber colossus' designed to align with the walls and disgorge their men. Numerous battering rams were were assembled, with all efforts taken to render them less likely to catch fire. Small mobile huts were also been assembled, designed for the safety of men undertaking the difficult and dirty work of sapping. The camp was a hive of activity. He had marvelled at the precautions Julianus had taken in defending his siege works. It was highly unlikely that anyone should attack his rear, even as Julianus moved on Constantius their was no open hostility between the two...just yet.

Guards allowed Nevitta to pass through into Julianus' residence, both of them looking as stony faced and implacable as Nevitta himself. In he strode and found Julianus scribbling away fiercely as was his want, late in the night. The journey from Verona had been haphazard and Nevitta was glad to be back amongst civilisation at this late hour. Julianus continued to write for a moment more, aware that someone had been admitted to his presence but not giving them the time of day just yet.

Nevitta coughed audibly, voicing his disapproval at been ignored. 'Am I going to stand here all night?' he asked irreverently. Julianus snapped up, not immediately recognising the man before him. 'Just who do you think you are you boorish fool?' asked Julianus sharply. An adjutant near by had stood forward. 'You will show the Emperor due respect!' he barked. Julianus then snapped out of his forgetfulness and saw that Nevitta stood before him, as stony faced as ever. 'It's ok Plaucus' he waved the adjutant away. 'It is indeed a boorish fool before me. As ever your social graces are severely lacking. In future it would best be wise to address me as Augustus, lest the men get suspicious over preferential treatment' Julianus winked and then clasped Nevitta on the shoulders. 'As you wish...Augustus...though you haven't been crowned yet have you? It's one thing to have the rabble out there proclaim you emperor...' Nevitta asked cheekily. Several junior officers looked up towards Nevitta and scowled inwardly at his comment. Julianus chuckled lightly at his friends bluntness.

'So how are things Nevitta...what is the situation in Verona?' asked Julianus eagerly. Nevitta was motioned to a couch and he sat down gratefully. 'Well...Augustus, it goes well and also not so well. The place was in a state of anarchy when he marched in. The garrison was tiny, they preferred flight to fighting, so casualties were minimal. However the men lost control and looted everything in sight. Fair to say a good deal of people were killed as well. I did what I could to stay their plundering hands however it seemed rogue elements were doing their best to counteract any measures that I put in place. Still...we did appropriate a great deal of money from those who were alleged conspirators of this Ammianus Pescenius, whom I couldn't locate...'

'That's because he was slain by Felix, the master assassin. A nice tidy piece of work if you ask me. Snuck into the palace, killed the guards and surprised Ammianus and then took off his head'

Nevitta pursed his lips and nodded in understanding. 'The loss of so many Roman citizens is unfortunate however' continued Julianus. 'I am attempting to portray myself as benevolent to the people, to have them accept my claim to the throne and wholesale massacres will not help matters Nevitta' Julianus lectured sternly, looking at his second command with an even gaze. 'Yet I suppose a fair few of them supported Ammianus in his vile quest for power. They were weak to allow him free reign, so in a sense they had what was coming to them'.

Nevitta continued his stony expression, catching the watchful eyes of the officers were were in attendant to the Emperor. 'What of you my Lord, I see that work is very much advanced in besieging Ravenna. It will take a mighty effort to break through the walls. They have been designed most excellently it appears'

'Yes, yes they are. They are truly immense...they do have a sizeable garrison too' Julianus stood up and motioned Nevitta to follow him on a walk through the encampment. 'What exactly are we going to see Augustus, it's pitch black out there' Nevitta grumbled. 'I've rode all day and night and then a little more to get here. Time for rest I think'

'Why not just look at the stars then eh? It may be dark but it has its own beauty too' They exited the command centre, two burning torches at the entrance providing weak illumination as they moved down the main via towards the main porta that watched Ravenna silently. 'See? Such beauty in their shimmering, their arrangements in the sky' Julianus swept his arm across the twinkling visage. 'I see nothing but pinpricks in the Stygian blackness my Lord. I do not give myself up to such esoteric musings' Nevitta said dismissively.

'Ah, you are indeed a hard man to please my friend. I also forget your an uneducated brute as well' Nevitta took the jibe with a half smile. 'War is what I do best my lord...philosophies and incoherent ramblings are the domain of effeminate Greeks...such a pity you should associate yourself with them at times'

Julianus shook his head sadly. 'To think that now you are Caesar...or will be once everything is accept and all done to the book' The pair stopped at the very end of the circumvellation. Before them, looming in the dark were the fortifications of Ravenna, lit by a multitude of burning torches and braziers. Little pinpricks of light moved along the battlements. Once in a while, a flaming arrow would shoot from the wall towards the siege works but would land harmlessly in no man's land. Whether or not they actually were attempting to set fire to the barricades or just out of boredom, it was unknown. It provided a moments amusement for some men along the circumvellation lines who attempted to shoot back at the incoming arrows. A flurry of flaming arrows shot off in response. Julianus watched the display as he spoke. 'In three days Nevitta, we will attack and here we will show to the rest of the Empire our intentions and all of Italy will come over to our side and will back my ascension to the throne. We will end the snide remarks and snickering that I know are emanating from Rome. Constantius and his lackey's have been rather effective, so I am told, in painting me in a negative light but this, this here will show that their loyalty has been sadly misplaced”

Julianus then yawned deeply. 'I think that it's time for sleep Nevitta. It is late even by my standards' he said sleepily. 'Best decision I've heard all day' agreed Nevitta. The pair then left the front lines and headed back to their quarters and begun indulging in all manner of dreams; Nevitta of his homeland, his mistresses and of course bloodshed, Julianus imagining himself arriving in Constantinople as conqueror with Constantius bowing as a suppliant to him.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 23/2/12)

Awh, lovely, just lovely. I saw awh because I miss Nevitta, to have fallen gallantly in one tale, only to emerge younger and more full of vigour in another one.

I particularly liked the little night stroll and Julian and Nevitta's back and forth regarding the stars and philosophy, a very very nice touch. Excellently written, and always keeps the reader wanting more, although you really need to solve that debt lol...

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 23/2/12)

I agree with my esteemed colleague, and would like to add that I greatly enjoyed the assult on the Frisii. Then again, I am a little bloodthirsty. An excellent update Julianus, can't wait to see what happens next.