Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 08/05/2021)

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 23/2/12)

A glut of glorious updates today.

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 23/2/12)

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Awh, lovely, just lovely. I saw awh because I miss Nevitta, to have fallen gallantly in one tale, only to emerge younger and more full of vigour in another one.

I particularly liked the little night stroll and Julian and Nevitta's back and forth regarding the stars and philosophy, a very very nice touch. Excellently written, and always keeps the reader wanting more, although you really need to solve that debt lol...
    Thanks. I find it a challenge trying to write these sort of passages (you know, conversations and all that) but I think I am getting better at it. It's something I hope to expand more on as the story unfolds and make it more about the behind the scenes than the actual battles (which I find a chore to write about admittedly) unless they are major ones. As for that debt...all i can say is 'I'M TRYING I'M TRYING!!!'

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    I agree with my esteemed colleague, and would like to add that I greatly enjoyed the assult on the Frisii. Then again, I am a little bloodthirsty. An excellent update Julianus, can't wait to see what happens next.
    I approve of your bloodthirsty nature...been a bloodthirsty sort myself

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    A glut of glorious updates today.
    Why thank you, you are most kind.

Chapter XVII: All Roads Lead to Constantius

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The wind from the north east was chilled from seemingly endless snowfalls from elsewhere in the region, the sky though utterly blue and radiant. The sun cast what warmth it could through the deepest recesses of winter. The Gods had blessed Poetovio with a sublime afternoon. Trees flanking the road side stood like naked sentinels, their leaves shed at the onset of the coldest months. Constans Labienus sat huddled in a wagon, unable to keep out the cold as his colleague, Skunxa, his Sarmatian interpreter, seemed oblivious and even amused at his masters discomfort.

'I always thought of your people as gruff, crude and difficult to deal with' began Labienus. 'I was wrong...well partially. They are gruff, crude but can be reasoned with. Most surprising was been able to negotiate a cease fire'

Skunxa laughed. 'You Romans are all the same with your views on anyone beyond your so called defensive lines...which I might add has been violated by 'my people'” Labienus snorted. 'You do little to dispel the thoughts of your people been wild, uncouth savages interested in plunder and bloodshed. At least our host Zanticus had the dignity to wash before hand and present himself in acceptable attire' Labienus sniffed the air haughtily. The diplomat was for the most part jesting with his partner yet he did harbour misgivings about the peoples beyond the Danuvius who had spilt over along with the Quadi and Goths and ravaged hither and yon. Acquincum, according to reports, had been brutally sacked by the lazyges.

'I was told by another of my kinsman that they are pressed from the rear by the Vandals and open warfare has broken out between the two. That would play a large part in his reasonable demeanour' explained Skunxa. 'Well, whatever the reason, it makes life much easier for the Emperor' Skunxa looked at the diplomat. 'Which one?' Constans Labienus shook his head. 'A good linguist you are but perceptive you are not...Flavius Claudius Julianus of course you silly man...about time he proclaimed himself, time to kill off that paranoid murderer once and for all. You cannot look over your back in Constantinople without seeing knives sticking out of it' The diplomat spat.

Skunxa shook his head in bemusement. 'You Romans and your politics, I will never understand it. Power drives you lot absolutely insane...how many Emperors proclaim themselves each week? Who will it be tomorrow? Or next week? I am sure I shall see another ten emperors before the month is out' Constans remained silent at Skunxa's observation, a very much true one. Life was fraught for anyone these days who allied themselves with men of power. Julianus could fail and he'd be part of the inevitable proscriptions, been a vocal supporter of Julianus.

The diplomat looked at the road ahead, seeing through the riders out front and noticed several more horse drawn wagons making the slow journey south. There was no hurry currently, business had been completed and a stop off in Poetovio was planned before returning west to inform the Emperor of the new arrangement. In the distance, he could hear a loud, strong voice calling out. Initially he could not make out the words. As the voice drew closer he listened intently. 'Move your wagons! Make way for the Emperor!' The Emperor? Wondered Labienus. Julianus was still entrenched in Italy so it could only mean that Constantius was passing through the province...

'Good lord! Constantius? Here?' Skunxa exclaimed.

'So it seems boy. Get this wagon off the road you!' Constans Labienus barked at the rider. Slowly the horses were heeled left and onto the shoulder of the road. The caller who had announced the passing of the Emperor berated the driver. 'Get out of our way or I shall flog you silly! Your delaying the Emperor!' The man looked utterly mean, black pits for eyes, a scarred face from countless encounters with hostile enemies and a close shaved head. The driver bowed his head and looked away as he pulled the wagon off the road. Constans could only stare as the convoy trotted past, numerous cavalrymen flanking the Emperors carriage. Men on horseback eyed the little wagon suspiciously, as if each carriage held potential assassins. They chose not to search the wagon they passed, dismissing the old man and the young Sarmartian as of little interest.

Constans Labienus swore he could have seen Constantius peering out from behind the drapes of the carriage. After they had passed and the wagon moved back on the road, Skunxa turned to Labienus. 'What is he doing? Where is his army?' Constans shrugged. 'I have no idea on both parts. Perhaps his army are already in Poetovio...though I doubt that very much. Maybe they are marching west as we speak...perhaps he seeks an audience with Julianus....'

'With so few men? That would be sheer folly' said Skunxa. Again Constans Labienus shrugged. 'Even the Gods may not know the intentions of Constantius however we must get back to Italy and inform Julianus of this. Either way it cannot be good'
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 24/2/12)

Ooooooo, I can feel the tension rising already. The calm before the storm.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Very nice, what IS Constantius doing with so few men around? And lord Julian, I entreat you, save us, save the Aquileans from merciless plunder by a band - and it is that, a feeble petty little band - of marauding barbarians! Save us lord, if you are just as you proclaim, and if Aquileia is to fall, let it fall to Romans, to one's as graceful as yourself, and not to the savages of the Quadi!

Lord, we beg of you!

Administrator Emeritus

Very nice, what IS Constantius doing with so few men around? And lord Julian, I entreat you, save us, save the Aquileans from merciless plunder by a band - and it is that, a feeble petty little band - of marauding barbarians! Save us lord, if you are just as you proclaim, and if Aquileia is to fall, let it fall to Romans, to one's as graceful as yourself, and not to the savages of the Quadi!

Lord, we beg of you!
    Setting himself up for a fall.. Hannibal did that in one of my RS test runs, went between Genoa and Arretium I think, with just his bodyguard. I merged 6 units of cavalry and slaughtered them. Maybe Constantius will suffer a similar fate at the hands of "brigands" - after all, no true Roman would attack an Emperor all alone

It is indeed rather strange...why would the Emperor be by himself, with the lazyges pounding down at the door and Julianus nearby? Crazy AI...

Chapter XVIII: The Siege of Ravenna

From the main porta of the circumvellation lines that looked out towards Ravenna, Nevitta stood inside a watchtower, overlooking the procession of men that moved to take their places in the coming assault on the Imperial city. Inside, the malcontents that rejected Roman rule were preparing to meet their fate. Today, cool and cloudy with a stiff onshore breeze that snapped banners to attention, Nevitta would be playing no part in. Julianus had forbidden his able assistant to take part in the action. Nevitta, as was his way, had been particularly blunt in the face of his rejection but had accepted the ruling.

So he watched from his lofty vantage point, the Victores luniores and the Invincible Julians moving the collossal Helepolis, all three of them, pointed towards the massive city walls. Multitudes of men were dwarfed by the towers, who looked like enraged ants moving a captive insect much too large for them. The ground had been prepared for their passage and inexorably they moved towards the walls.

Inside them, hundreds of men sweated, groaned and grunted as they leaned and pushed into the wooden handles of the capstan to keep the towers on their correct paths. A huge battering ram lined up perfectly with the main gateway and this too moved into action. Waiting beyond the withering fire coming from darts and other deadly projectiles, the Jovii and the Herculii simply waited their chance to ascend the towers and storm into the city.

'Have no fear my brave men, for they are an army of cowards, thieves and murderers. You are an army of the mightiest Empire to stride this earth. Such degenerates will not stand before disciplined fighting men. I have faith in you all!' Julianus rode back and forth and exhorted his men to undertake great deeds. Julianus had chosen a stretch of the walls that were undefended by the enemy. The men inside the apertures had nobody to shoot at. Anyone inside the towers themselves did not bother to fire at the machines, for they were well protected and impervious to any missiles that the enemy may launch. The Romans were jovial as they pushed their towers towards the city, buoyed by the words of their beloved general, confident that the rebellious dogs would flee before them.

Dwarfed by the colossal Imperial palace, a lone unit of conscripted militia stood guard, a hopeless vanguard in face of much mightier soldiers. Their red caped brethren also took up points around the city, in deserted streets, hoping to at least tire the legionaries in unwanted street to street combat. Fighting was much preferred to be done upon the battlements, rather than in the warren of streets and side streets were nasty surprises could lurk.

Down slammed the ramp upon the walls, iron spikes driving into the brickwork to gain a foothold and out poured the Invicible Julians, the Armatus Invicti Juliani, the elite of Julianus' army.

Waiting for them, rather out of place it would seem, were Roman marines. Anyone who could fight was forced to do so and they represented the only real heavy infantry of the enemy.

Gnaues Sosius, sat upon his horse, with a sword in hand, willing the Romans on, not out of any misplaced desire of victory but to bring about his inevitable death and swiftly. A brief thought of running himself through flashed through his mind but he thought of the men he was leading and it passed quickly. If the conscripted soldiers fled, then so be it, let them flee, they were just unfortunate pawns in a savage game. Ammianus Pescenius was dead, his headless corpse left to the animals in the countryside. The Imperial retribution had been swift and brutal and he could clearly see that only a vengeful death awaited him. A tear was shed for his plight, though he doubted anyone else would do the same. The Consul of Flaminia et Piceni Annonarii had played a high stakes game of Empire and was about to be dealt the losing hand.

The second cohort of the Invicible Julians had descended the now controlled towers and formed up in a shield wall. Another cohort of marines, along with the Vigiles Urbani charged towards them, throwing their weapons and crashing upon the implacable shields of the Romans. Those who were normally tasked with fire fighting duties and general policing broke first in face of such might.

Making their entrance into the city easier, a cohort of the Victores luniores had overpowered the defenders of the western gates, thus allowing it be opened by Julianus' men. A prearranged signal went out; watching for this particularl sign, Maximianus gestured to the gates. 'Dominus...the gateway is ours. Now is our chance!' Julianus beckoned all of his cavalry to follow his lead.

'No fear men, no fear at all...let us enter the gates and move towards victory' Julianus own Candidati were eager to break through the gates, with the Emperor unable to force his way in first. They were greeted with the sight of fleeing conscripts. They made easy targets for the cavalry and the men in the towers.

Upon the battlements, the marine archers fired upon the skirmishers below before breaking off and exiting the walls. Rome's own missile troops had mounted the machines of war and found themselves providing some needed support. The rebels had been firing at will into the attacking Romans and causing unnecessary deaths.

The Jovii had already dispatched numerous militia into the afterlife and now advanced through the streets at will. Occasionally they were halted by brave...or incredibly stupid...militia still holding their sections of the city. They were put to the sword. The more rebels that died, the greater the anger of the troops.

The Invincible Julians, now having extracted themselves from the walls, had surrounded a cohort of militia. The men in the crimson capes fought valiantly, even when surrounded by both of the cohorts of the spearmen. Upon routing these defenders, they set off down an alleyway to be confronted by Gnaeus Sosius and his bodyguard..

A savage fight ensued, the Stablesiani proving themselves as tough, dour warriors even when utterly outnumbered and death closing in. A unit of the Victores luniores ran hard, even when out of breath and managed to hit the cavalry from the rear.The numbers were too great. Even with nowhere to run or hide, Sosius' men broke.

The Candidati rode into the one sided melee, its laburum standing erect and proud as the horsemen thundered through the streets, catching stragglers and killing them.

Here before the mighty monument to Roman rule, the Imperial Palace, where courtesans and other officials watched with terror from the balconies, the rebels made their last stand. Though he need not do so, Julianus put himself in the thick of the battle. There was really now no need to inspire his men on further, they had clearly crushed the rebellion with only mere formalities to be observed.

A stern rebuke from Maximianus snapped Julianus out his battle reverie. 'Julianus! Get out of there! Do not risk yourself so foolishly! You've lost men already' Julianus heeded the words of his Tribunis Comes, allowing his infantry the honour in killing Sosius.

The remaining militia stood their ground. They were surrounded when the Cataphracti emerged from another street. More men surrounded these valiant defenders, everyone eager to shed the blood of the Roman traitors.

And so it was; utterly annihilation for the Italian Kingdom, any remaining resistance slaughtered. Just two ragged militia men stood at the very end. Covered in the blood of everyone else around them, Julianus' men bayed for blood. They demanded an example be made of these foolish conspirators.

Julianus looked at the pathetic figures. Immediately he took pity on them. He ordered them to return to their homes immediately and that no harm come to them. The soldiers were bitterly disappointed at this, the rage of battle still coursed through their veins, the adrenaline yet to subside. There was only one thing they wanted; to sack the city.

'I would implore you my Lord...to think carefully of your response here' Maximianus whispered to the Emperor. 'I see...then I suppose we shall let the men have their fill. However we must take care that innocence is protected. Those known to have harboured the traitors, are dealt with appropriately. The innocents are to be left alone' Julianus informed the men of his decision. It seemed to satisfy their urges. It was a bloody day in the long, often colourful history of the Empire. Sixteen thousand alleged conspirators were rounded up and killed, their property confiscated and distributed amongst the soldiers.

Julianus, from the Imperial residence, winced at the carnage. This was not what he wanted but events that he could not control, such as the whims of fickle soldiers, were dictating his moves. Fires sprung up this way and that, he could make out screams of terror and at that headed back inside the Palace.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 25/2/12)

You can't have a good siege by afternoon and not expect the night to end without an orgy of violence, plunder, rape and destruction.... it just wouldn't be right now, would it?

Ah the rebels... how I miss them, they made such good sport. Tell me, is Italia your's yet? I don't know how that particular script works.

Yes, its mine now....ALL MINE muwahahahahahaha!!

Now though, the game gets rather interesting, after having just played through a turn then...there is going to be trouble all round shortly for Julianus...
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Excellent! I love plots and treachery and deceit, let us see how the cunning Julian cunningly deals with this 'trouble' you speak of!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

This is getting better and better. I love the way Julian must play to the troops and how you also move from a wide epic feel in the siege to the local and more personal view point of the ambassador! Speaking of which some lines deserve quoting here: You cannot look over your back in Constantinople without seeing knives sticking out of it' The diplomat spat.

Wonderful - and made me a little jealous when I read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian Australis View Post
    Yes, its mine now....ALL MINE muwahahahahahaha!!

Now though, the game gets rather interesting, after having just played through a turn then...there is going to be trouble all round shortly for Julianus...
    Is he as cunning as a cunning fox who went to Cunningham University and did a course on being extremely cunning?

And a major in linguistics?

Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post

Is he as cunning as a cunning fox who went to Cunningham University and did a course on being extremely cunning?
    Julian, meet Lord Blackadder!

I wonder where Constantius has got to though....

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    I wonder where Constantius has got to though....
    And why do I get the feeling that our friendly neighbourhood assassin-man, Felix, is somehow involved?

Did somebody say Felix?

Chapter XVIX: The Hole

'He will listen to reason Decentius' mumbled Constantius. 'Or I will have him and the rest of his family killed'

Decentius watched the Emperor pace about the Imperial residence within Poetovio. 'It should have been done in the first place. Look at what has happened' Decentius lectured. Constantius kept pacing the room. 'I do not ask you for advice Decentius, so do not presume you may give it. You carry out orders, nothing more nothing less' Decentius scowled, growing more irritated each day by Constantius' increasing irrationality in the matter. 'Whether or not you ask for my advice, or others, see reason. You intend to confront Julianus, who has the backing of a great deal of men, who for all we know could be winning over the entirety of Italy and you have no army! I implore you to bring forth the Imperial army so we can confront him!'

Constantius wheeled about, his expression one of dishevelment from days and weeks with minimal sleep. The war against the Sassanids wore him down, the Goths ravaging Macedonia and the lazyges threatening violence across the Danube, the betrayal by Julianus drove him beyond normal rational thinking, so much so he was now so close to Italy and without his army to back him. 'What would you know Decentius you dithering idiot! By the grace of my father, I assumed the purple. My father, Constantine the Great and you, you servile fool from some scummy barbaric backwater seek to lecture ME on what to do!' Constantius was overcome with complete rage. 'Begone from my sight now before I have you run through. I am the Emperor and you will accept what I do and not dare assail me with your idiotic thoughts!'

Decentius ever so slowly backed away, keeping a careful eye on the other guards in the room who had put their hands on the holsters of their swords, the Domestici ready to strike at their masters commands. Instead, Constantius just glared wildly at Decentius without speaking, content with banishing his agent from his sight without ordering his death. Out the door he went and instantly ran for his life, cursing the foolishness of the Emperor and vowing all sorts of revenge.

Felix had never seen such black, pitiless eyes before. They appeared windows to little more than a hollow soul, incapable of any positive emotion. Where only depravity, hatred and anger existed, a man capable of killing without giving it a second thought. His face was heavily scarred and his equine nose bent badly out of shape from many a savage blow. His close shaved head added to the malignancy that seeped from his pores. Even those who did not know him, would wince at the sight of him, they would turn away as if they had witnessed the face of death. 'Of all the places in the Empire, you found me here in this squalid rubbish tip' gestured Felix to the utter grime around him. Dark, dank, badly lit and populated with all manner of degenerates, hidden away but well known to anyone of disrepute that happened to find themselves in Verona. It had no name but was commonly known as simply the Hole. If one wanted to hire a cut-throat, he came here. To discuss business with those who controlled certain sections of the city, they came here.

'Where else would a murderer like you be eh Felix...the Killer' replied the man. He grabbed at a wooden mug and drank deeply of the sweet wine in it. 'Seems appropriate for someone of your repute as well...it would satisfy your...urges... as well' Felix said as the sounds of a women screaming upstairs filtered downwards, accompanied by the sounds of crashing furniture and angry shouted commands. Nobody inside the inn batted an eyelid. 'That sort of things will have to wait until next time' said the man. Several dishevelled men looked towards the pair. Felix noticed and shot them a withering stare. They seemed unfazed, looked a while longer before turning back to their drinks. Outside, he could hear the sounds of somebody getting a solid hiding from a group of men. He couldn't make out the words but it did not sound pleasant. Such was life for those who frequented this decrepit quarter of Verona.

'So Decentius...chief agentes in rebus of Constantius II. Why are you here before me? Do you plan on murdering me in this very inn for some strange and unfathomable reason? I cannot think as to why you would search me out in this manner' asked Felix sarcastically. Decentius showed no emotion, been completely unreadable. 'No, nothing so mundane...though to run you through would bring me great delight'

'A cheery thought' murmured Felix.

'I am here to seek out your help. I have information that you may find to be extremely useful' he stated matter of factly.

Felix snorted. 'What exactly is this 'useful' information that you have'. Decentius looked around him carefully and then leaned in. 'I can give you the location of Constantius' Felix laughed. 'Any idiot can work that out Decentius...this is all very amateurish of you' Decentius growled. 'Do not be so blithe with your words Felix. Before you is a golden opportunity, one that can bring you fabulous riches, fame or infamy, whichever way you prefer to see it...as the murderer of Constantius the tyrant'

'Good lord, Decentius...have you gone completely insane? Your his chief agent and here you are proposing his murder. What exactly are you up to?' Felix asked. Decentius' eyes burned with hatred. 'The man is a fool...a deluded, paranoid, murderous fool. Do you know how many men of his he has had executed on some imagine slight, of some preposterous plot to overthrow him?'

Felix shrugged. 'Well, I'd be rather testy if there was a rival claimant to the throne, like right about now' Decentius continued undetered by Felix's seeming disinterest. 'He threatened to murder me the other day for daring to voice my advice. Did you know that he is, right now, in Poetovio with out an army? With out an army Felix! What exactly is that idiot doing? He has lost it and enough is enough as far as I am concerned. Nobody on this earth threatens Decentius with death and lives to tell the tale!' He gripped his wooden cup so hard his knuckles went white. Any longer and the cup would have splintered, such was the strength of his rage induced grasp.

Felix merely raised his eyebrows. 'You certainly paint a gloomy picture. Why not just kill him yourself? In fact, if I were to accept what makes you think I just wouldn't kill you and then take the money?'

''I'd imagine I'd be persona non grata in his company currently and I can't very well walk in and stab him. Your a man of subterfuge, of blending in the shadows and striking and I am the man with the knowledge, the awareness of his movements and habits. Besides, your a rare breed in this trade. Your a man of honour, you stick to your word. Anyway, you'd never find the money in the first place, unless you'd just kill me for fun. Do you see?'

Felix nodded slowly. 'I guess so. Your are right though, killing you would be rather entertaining.... Recompense?' Decentius grinned. 'More than you could ever imagine'

'How much exactly?' he pressed on.

'100,000 denarii...give or take. I didn't count it properly when I stole it. I was in a hurry' Decentius drummed his fingers on the table casually. Felix exhaled. 'Well...an interesting dilemma...my master Julianus wishes to capture Constantius. On the other hand you offer me a sizeable sum to kill him. Which would profit me greater?' Decentius said . 'I know you are a loyal man Felix...yet loyal men do have their limits when it comes to money. Anyway, Julianus need never know that he was assassinated at your hand'

'IF he was assassinated...I doubt it will be as easy as strolling into his room like I did with that Italian dog parading as a King' mused Felix. Felix fetched another two mugs of sweet wine and sank his in one sitting. He then stared hard at Decentius. 'Very well, you have yourself a deal' Felix offered a smile to the unblinking psychopath before him. 'However, be warned my friend...if this turns out to be a set-up, you will die. Even if it means I hunt you to the ends of the earth, I will find you and kill you'

'Understood?'

Decentius in turn offered a thin smile. 'Understood...now you have little time to waste. I shall fill you in on the details'

Felix leaned in closer and listened intently, all the while trusting Decentius as far as he could spit.
    Last edited by Justinian Australis; February 26, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 26/2/12)

Love that Felix. It would be interesting if he succeeded, though I think the odds are stacked against him, faction leaders can be notoriously difficult to kill.

Also, don't you mean Constantius in this passage?

Well...an interesting dilemma...my master wishes to capture Julianus. On the other hand you offer me a sizeable sum to kill him

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian Australis View Post
    Did somebody say Felix?

You're my boy Felix, you're my boy!

Love that Felix. It would be interesting if he succeeded, though I think the odds are stacked against him, faction leaders can be notoriously difficult to kill.

Also, don't you mean Constantius in this passage?
    Ooops, most embarrasing! Thanks, is now corrected, I think I meant to say 'My master, Julianus, wishes to capture Constantius'...I think the odds on a faction leader are usually 1%. Then he has to stay the same place and not disappear off in the FOW...then it gets trickier.

Double oops, I just realised that i forgot to add a small preceding part for that particular chapter too! Now added.
    Last edited by Justinian Australis; February 26, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Chapter XX: Troubled Times

'My word...such a sad state of affairs' murmured Julianus. A stack of scrolls, bearing the seals of their respective provincial origins, nearly swamped the Emperor. Many requests came from all over, from his new loyal subjects. From Tarentum came complaints about the lack of certain amenities, things that needed repair urgently. From far away Syracuse, there were concerns voiced over the unsettled populace, with Julianus hearing about the increasing hostility displayed by various sects of Christianity, who often abused and debased ordinary Romans who paid the proper respects to the Gods. There were complaints about this particular official syphoning funds of here, that particular official accepting bribes and stealing from the state there. The south of Italy had been particularly neglected by Constantius.

It all worried Julianus, the corruption of course concerned him however the agitation contrived by the Christians was of bigger concern. 'Men and their devotion to one God, it never ceases to amaze me. Their fanaticism will be the ruin of us all' Oribasius nodded 'What do you plan on doing about it?' Julianus sighed. 'Right now...not a lot. I cannot simply fund the building of new temples and currently there seems to be a balance achieved, an uneasy one at that, with the Christians. For now, I will proclaim tolerance, whether it be the Arian form or whichever. There will be a time for harder decisions to be made' .Oribasius spoke quietly, 'I believe you will be in for one dramatic fight having the Old Gods venerated and the Old Gods only. I am sure you are aware of those certain Christians who would rather die than sacrifice to the state religion'.

'Yes I am. They are just disobedient ingrates, self absorbed in their devotion to their almighty God. These Galileans are just mad. It is troubling. For now though we must focus on other matters' The Tribunus Comes Maximianus interjected the meeting between the two friends. 'Yes Maximianus?' asked Julianus. 'The bodyguard units have assembled and are waiting your assessment' Julianus' eyes lit up at the prospect of accepting these units into his entourage. 'Very well. Are you coming to observe Oribasius?' asked the Emperor, knowing the answer already. 'I'd love to witness the parade of shiny armoured men and horse but I am afraid my duties preclude me from doing so, if you do not mind'

Julianus smiled. 'Suit yourself then' Out in the parade field, three mounted units and one foot awaited in the mid morning heat. Sweating profusely but standing and mounted perfectly, the new bodyguards of the Emperor looked awe inspiring and intimidating. The first unit was the Scholae Gentilium Palatinae, the Imperial German bodyguard, men loyal only to the serving Emperor and no one else; their lives depended on it.

There were also the Domesticorum Equitum and Pedites. All three were immediately put into the service of the Emperor. Julianus decided to reassign the two wings of the Equites Promoti to Nevitta, as well as the Scholae Palatinae Scutarii to him, along with detachments of the Jovii, Herculii and the Brachiati. No doubt a skilled cavalry commander such as Nevitta would be delighted at his new addition to his growing strike force. With the additional bodyguards, recent arrival in Mediolanum, Marcellus Barbatus received promotion to Comes Domesticorum Equitum to best represent the growing number of guards.

In the far north, where hostile enemies lurked, Salutius Secundus had been tasked by the Gallic Prefect Valentinianus to meet with Tiberius Secundus in Tribus Frisii. Much effort had been put into restoring order in the backwater province following Tiberius' capture for comparatively little gain. It was just not economically viable to remain in such a region, not to mention its indefensible location across the Rhenus.

'Do you trust the Saxons Tiberius?' asked Salutius. 'No of course not' replied Tiberius. 'I fought them on the shores of Britian and they were dogs' Salutius nodded. 'They await to the north for something...they seem ever on guard. What are they waiting for I wonder?' queried the Magister of the Gallic field army. Tiberius snuffed a laugh. 'Probably for you to leave' Salutius laughed at that. 'Perhaps a pre-emptive strike into their lands would perhaps alter any pre conceived notions that they may have. They aren't open to a ceasefire but do not attack...your probably right Tiberius. Alone they cannot take on both of us. If I left however, it's a different story'

'Anyway, I did not come here to discuss invasion plans against the Saxons. I have been corresponding with the Prefect of Gallia, Valentinianus about this stinking hole we are standing in. The Emperor has given his support for the decision too, so we are asking you to simply set fire to everything in this place, just demolish anything of use and make your way back across the river'

'So it looks like I am not going home if we burn down the shipyards then' said Tiberius pensively. 'You weren't going home when that idiot admiral lost the sea battle against those pirates and fled north with what was left of the fleet' Salutius voice was laced with scorn. 'You will return home before long, however you will be put to good use in any case. There are scores of people flooding across the river near Augusta Treverorum, saying that there are barbaric war bands, large ones at that, heading west through the mountains and forest. It to me sounds like the Quadi are moving'

'Excellent. As if we did not have enough of these badly washed rabble to kill' Tiberius said, his voice laced with annoyance. 'I hardly have enough men as it is Magister, those Franks chewed through them and now I can't reinforce them from Britian'. Salutius shrugged, 'There is little to be done about that, you'll have to make do with what you have at hand. Once Julius Athanaes recaptures Colonia Agrippina and then we humiliate the Franks at the negotiating table, then we shall, along with Valentinianus' own men, plus mine, have more than enough to stop these invaders in their tracks'

Following the Roman withdrawal, unpredictably the Saxons swept into the province and occupied the village. Most disturbingly however, was the presence of an enormous Gaelic army that had landed on the Saxon coast. It appeared that the Gaels had a grudge against the Saxons and were intent on carrying it to their homelands.

In Africa, Flavius Verenianus had previously landed to provide support to Vibius who was attacking Russadir to reclaim it. Whilst he was doing so, Verenianus decided instead to head east. Here he happened upon an independent Saldae, having separated itself from the Empire. It was a golden opportunity to reclaim territory and bring its inhabitants over to Julianus' side. The Comes of Hispania was attacked by a small relieving force.

The battle itself was largely irrelevant, with the rebel commander been killed by the Quartodecimani legions and a great deal of them were killed on the field. Verenianus was in no mood for clemency, allowing his soldiers as long as they liked to plunder the town thoroughly, with numerous inhabitants killed by the frenzied troops. In some way, this made up for the loss of Campus Frisii, now in grave danger of falling to the Gaels.

Their feared leader, Angus, had lead their warband across the seas, having for some time agreed to peace with the Romans on Magnentius' bidding. Yet Magnentius could not have foreseen what the Gaels had in mind, opting to raid just like the Saxons had done so over the years. With the sudden arrival of the Quadi, this development could not have come at a worse time for the Empire. Julius Athanaes had yet to recapture Colonia Agrippina, preferring a lengthy siege to starve the inhabitants into making a rash assault instead of storming the city.

As for the Quadi, they had poured through the old Alemanni homelands and in the process destroyed an Alammane army near Vicus Alemanni and then besieged it. Brave and fearless, Valentinianus led his army across the river and waited in the heavily forested and snow covered region, behind the invading hordes. His subordinate Salutius Secundus had arrived not long after the Quadi begun their devastation of the region. Valentinianus was looking to hit the hordes from the rear and hopefully use the hilly terrain to his advantage.

The pressures brought to bare upon Constantius II had led him to desperately seek peace with the Sassanids. The nomadic hordes of the Quadi and the lazyges rampaging through Pannonia and the Goths having sacked their way into Greece saw Constantius having to deal with trouble on all sides. There were also rebellions in the east to contend with. These were desperate and dangerous times for the Emperor.

MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (Updated 28/2/12)

An eventful update! That seems to be par for the course with this mod!