Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 08/05/2021)

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 24/3/12)

Nice! The stage is set for two very interesting set of battles! I hope the army next to Constantinople is a good one, so we have a decent fight. And well done on re-capturing Rusadir and bringing the fight to the rest of Africa. I actually quite liked the 'recap' style, although I do like the narratives every now and then too.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Not the best strategist old Constantius is he? Good old AI, always reliable when it comes to dumb-ass moves.

Ok, so after having some problems with CTD's (now resolved hopefully..) and some serious lag in the battles against the eastern armies, not to mention disinterest in the story, I've got a long overdue update.

Chapter XXX: The Danuvian Wars

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A letter to Flavius Claudius Julianus, from Germanianus

'My Lord, I wish to inform you that I have assembled my army and have crossed the Danuvius to attack the capital of the Jaxamarte confederation. By all appearances there is a small garrison that holds the capital. I am told that forces of the barbarians appear to be concentrated around Poetovio, where I am told Julianus Athanaeus keeps them busy. Caesar Macellinus Barbatus has pledged his assistance in these wars and as we speak is about the cross the Danuvius and cover the rear of our advance. He also watches intently the barbarian warlord Eutilinde who is nearing Sirmium with a force of men, half of what we command. He should be easily overcome should battle be necessary. If we destroy the capital we hope then to bring the barbarians to terms that favour the might of Rome. Also Heraclianus is close to prosecuting the siege of Carnumtum to its finality. The Quadi are nearing complete starvation and any relief forces have been dealt with adequately by the veterans of the great battle that claimed the life of the esteemed Nevitta. Control of Pannonia, aside from Poetovio, will once again return to Roman hands. I shall keep you closely informed of any developments'

Of course, events of the day moved much faster than the Imperial messenger service. For as Julianus was reading the briefing, his Caesar had aborted the river crossing into Tribus lazyges and instead headed south, believing the defence of Sirmium to be of greater importance that protecting Germanianus' advance. Germanianus protested this.

'And of my advance? Who is to protect the way back? What if the Jaxamarte arrive in numbers and block the river crossing? Then what?' he asked angrily. 'Then you fight your way out...like any true Roman general' he replied testily. 'Anyway, there is not a barbarian force for miles, the way to the east and north is clear according to my scouts. You can attack as soon as you have the seige weapons or you can starve them out. I'll leave that to you'

'However, Eutlinde running around with his Sarmatian cavalry is a far more dangerous proposition and Sirmium is lightly defended. I can't have them capture an Imperial city, you understand? I will meet him on the field and destroy him. In any event we are defeated and I die, you are to take nominal command of the Pannonian advance and it's forces. Augustus I am sure will approve of you in command'

The Caesar meet the lazyges in lightly wooded terrain. He was light on in cavalry, hosting only a small wing of the scutarii and the lightly armed mounted sagitarii who would not have anywhere near the range of the Sarmatian lancers. This concerned him however he did command the Cornuti and Brachiati palatinae. There was only one thing to do and that was charge headlong at the cataphracts and pin them down. Their advance was a terrible and frightening one. It seemed like the arrows darkened the sky as they closed in. The light cavalry of the Romans were turned into pincushions yet they bravely fired back

Marcellus Barbatus rode all of the way with the infantry as they attempted to hold the Sarmatians in place, exhorting them onwards. The battle itself seperated into three distinct skirmishes. Eutlinde could be seen astride his magnificent warhorse, the argaragentes resplendent in their battle costume and an intimidating prospect. Marcellus Barbatus did not shirk his responsibilities, providing essentially the only full compliment of heavy cavalry.

The Bosporan infantry fought fiercely, all an equal match for the Roman palatinae. The Romans had the advantage of superior weaponry for their infantry, not to mention high morale and confidence that the Caesar knew what he was doing in such a fierce fight. He outnumbered the lazyges but was taking grievous casualties amongst all his men.
    The Cornuti Seniores stood defiantly in front of the Sarmatian cataphracts, thrusting their spears into their armour and bringing down their horses. For every man killed, the Sarmatians took one as well, such was the even nature of the contest. Yet exhaustion destroyed their morale first and they broke.
    Shortly after, the lancers broke as well as the Brachiati Seniores and the dwindling Scutarii cut them down as they fled.

Soon the Bosporan infantry were surrounded and begun fighting to the death. Marcellus Barbatus had meet Eutlinde head on, an uneven match considering the different styles of the cavalry.

The pressure persisted upon the lazyges and one by one they routed. Even the mighty lazyge warlord quailed before the desperate onslaught of the Romans. In the confusion he was slain.

His body guard escaped, as did numerous other lancers, firing behind them to cover their retreat. Marcellus Barbatus did not think the additional deaths that would befall them in a pursuit would be worth it so he halted them. Bodies were strewn all over the field, the grass a ghastly shade of red, limbs and organs scattered haphazardly. Carrion birds circled overhead awaiting their turn.
    The Caesar had his men arranged in one long line and addressed them.

'My brave men. Many of our comrades have died today for the Republic, for the restoration of the majesty of Rome. Yet many more of the enemy lay butchered around us, nothing but feed for the carrion birds that circle above us. Your efforts today will not be forgotten, nor will they go unrewarded. It is to your courage that Rome owes her existence to. She has seen many a dark day in past years but the light is slowly but surely shining upon her once again, to bathe in the glory of the Unconquered Sun. It is all because of you that she sees the light once more'

The troops let out a tremendous cheer, despite their war weary state. Their dead fellow soldiers were gathered up and treated with the respect they deserved. Upon dealing with the formalities, what was left of the army moved to support Germanianus across the river.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 9/4/12)

Very nice to see you back Justinian! An excellent update, and a particularly hard battle. There is an excellent screenshot of the enemy general dying and your own general gallantly urging his men on.

I know what you mean, CTD's are a pain in the ass. Who have you been suffering them against?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Nice update - and again great to see you back in action (as it were!).

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Very nice to see you back Justinian! An excellent update, and a particularly hard battle. There is an excellent screenshot of the enemy general dying and your own general gallantly urging his men on.

I know what you mean, CTD's are a pain in the ass. Who have you been suffering them against?
    Those CTD's happened whenever I exterminated that village of the Gaels in the far north...whether the script was on or not...I also had three successive CTD's trying to capture Constantinople plus I had them whilst fighting the Goths. I think I've got over them (touch wood) after going back to some older saves.

Good spot there with that pic. I had no idea the general was actually doing that!
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (ON HOLD)

Have you really abandoned this then? Such a shame, you always get me enthralled in your campaigns and then this happens! There is a bug with the Constantinople garrison/Gothic script, I deleted all the reinforcement lines from my script and it worked fine, I also had the same problem as you. I could edit the file for you if you are still considering picking this up again?

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (ON HOLD)

***With help from Knonfoda's editing skills, this AAR is alive! ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Chapter XXXI

The winds of change swept across Carthago, sweeping one Roman overlord away for another. The physical winds swept the odour of the dead, mingled with sand and dust, through the streets and out into the sea. It was not the first time that Carthago had seen bloodshed in unimaginable quantities, the ancient city that held terrors for the fledgling Roman republic which had been wiped out and then later rebuilt long after the last embers of the Qart-Hadastim had been so brutally extinguished. Such was the customary extermination of the times, a tool of necessity employed by those keen to have their authority clearly displayed, as Flavius Verenianus had desired to do so and particularly display that of Julianus' legitimacy as Emperor. Yet his own authority in his eyes was more important. The Comes of Hispania had been campaigning for months in these far flung ancient lands, many miles away from his home in Carthago Nova. It seemed ultimately that he had been destined to be the conqueror of Carthago.

He watched detached, from his vantage point, the tedious tasks of the citizens of the city in rebuilding that which had been burnt and destroyed by his rapacious legions. Old men and women, entrenched inhabitants of the city, picked through charred beams and piles of rubble for anything that may be salvaged and reused in rebuilding their lives. They accepted their tasks with grim stoicism, victims caught up in the poisonous and destructive theatre of Roman political machinations. A handful of citizens carried stretchers loaded with what little they had left. Others carried bloodied and charred bodies of relatives. The occasional cry of sorrow and distress would carry to his ears. He did feel a twinge of pity for the miserable wretches he now ruled but such was their lot in life, the trials and tribulations that they must bear.

The two artificial harbours lay silent, for now, ships in varying states of ruin after crazed soldiers delightedly ransacked them and set them on fire. Some of the larger trading ships still smouldered well into the next day and members of the vigiles urbani used their primitive fire extinguishing tools to counter those that smouldered and anything else that threatened to burn. Off to the distance he could make out a squadron of triremes making a difficult journey towards the harbour in the heightened swell and the choppy waves from the onshore winds. Down by the harbour entrance men had been stationed to watch these intruders, whom no one was entirely sure who they were. They could have been sent from other locations loyal to Constantius, they could simply be trading vessels who were about to get a rather rude shock to see the state that the harbour was in and who now controlled the city. He worried little about it, his new loyal tribunis Heraclianus was taking care of matters. Heraclianus, along with his ally Antiochus, had defected as the walls crumbled and Verenianus' forces poured in. They themselves had been sent to repell the Comes but could see that the tide had turned on Constantius and they wisely chose not to resist.

The arrival of these two men placed Verenianus in a unique position, one that both excited and filled him with apprehension. By possession of an Imperial city and now some thirty thousands men, as well as his own, the Quartodecimani, he become far more powerful than he had ever had hoped to be. His power could no doubt rival that of Valentinianus, now that Harumetum and Leptis Magna had also joined the revolt against Constantius. Such quantities of men at his disposal, the possession of the crucial grain supply route to Rome...what will others see when they looked towards this part of the Empire, conquered by Verenianus? As a noble, faithful ally of Julianus in his quest for sole control of Rome? Or as a potential threat, ready to cut the all important grain supplies that nourished the Eternal City, to take his greatly expanded forces and march all the way to Rome and then onto Ravenna, hailed by his own men as Augustus?

The first matters he took care off was to ensure that his new tribuni would be out of his way, so as to make his own position as safe as possible. Antiochus was granted the title as Praeses Mauretania Sitifensis, a title which Verenianus had taken whilst residing in the province. He would leave immediately with a small detachment of men, comprised of the Auxillia Palatinae soldiers recruited from the local levies. Antiochus was a far more shrewd man than his colleague Heraclianus, who in Verenianus' eyes had little imagination, appeared cruel and petty and prone to petulant displays. Little about him would suggest that he would pose any problems for him, yet he sent the general south with a sizeable force to kill any of the loyalists who had escaped from the uprisings. Here he would become governor of Harumetum where he could play out any of his desires on the poor citizenry. He had thought of sending him to restore order at Leptis Magna, which to all intents and purposed was on the verge of rioting even as the city changed hands. It had not helped when the fervent Christian Verenianus had begun ordering the temples to the Roman Gods be destroyed. The far off settlement that had been once been embellished by Septimius Severus a long while back, could be left to its own devices, so long as the pagans were unable to worship their Gods. He could reason that such an isolated town and its destruction of the temples would hardly be in the thoughts of the Emperor as he battled his way across Achaea. After all, he could blame those loyal to Constantius for instigating the destruction, seeing as that Constantius had been pushing the worship of the Arian form of Christianity..

As for the Comes himself, he found himself with thoughts much like that of an Emperor. He needed a campaign to bring further glory and establish his position further. Capturing Carthago in itself was an achievement, yet it was not enough for him. Something that would bring him a great degree of satisfaction and finally seal off the frontiers that watched the endless wastelands of the south, were the ever troublesome semi nomadic tribes who would test the fortifications with nuisance raids and even capture Roman settlements. The Berbers had not troubled the region for some time since Vibius recaptured Russadir and then heavily fortified the passes through the mountains, yet the fort commanders always wondered when they'd return. Until now, there had not been any manpower to assemble an army to march under the Roman standards, as Verenianus himself had headed east and Vibius had split his forces to man different troublesome spots along the limes.

Until now, Verenianus thought. Along with his battle hardened Quartodecimani, he counted the Septimi Seniores amongst his ranks, a veritable array of Roman power presented in the form of the comitatensis. With his now swollen ranks, bolstered with the Promoti and additional missile troops, Verenianus could launch an unparalleled invasion of these detestable rats, enslave their women and children , kill every last one of their men capable of bearing arms, set fire to anything that would burn and leave no trace of the tribes of the region. If they had anything of worth, it would be spirited away. There would be no attempts to assimilate them; the time for extermination in the tried and tested Roman fashion of old had well and truly arrived. Some other matters awaited first, such as the recall of Vibius to receive promotion to Comes Hispanarium which was something he felt was well deserved (after all, one could not carry out such duties in Africa, could they?). Then his campaign of terror could begin.
    Last edited by Justinian Australis; April 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 28/4/12)

Huzzah! Buzz ah! Hussar!

Great update and a nice insight into the mind of Flavius Verenianus! Good to see this back in action!

Chapter XXXII

'Today we shall free the world!'

Those words rung loudly in the mind of Julianus and drowned out the cacophony of battle. The clashing of swords upon other swords, upon shields and helmets and breast plates. The cries of pain and terror, of jubilation, of battle rage and shouting. All pushed into the distance at the recalling of those words which he had spoken enthusiastically to his men. All of his world weariness that had steadily crushed his spirit and drawn a pall of despondency around him had parted, thanks to a few choice words uttered by Oribasius before the battle. His horse reared on its hind legs as Julianus thrust his sword into the air, encouraging his bodyguard on. In front of him was a dense wall of Roman might, the first rank spearmen of the Empire, the Legio Armatus, ever pushed forward by the unflinching dominance of its commander Avidius. The towering Tribunis' voice rolled like thunder through the streets.

Before the spearmen were the ripensis. The Legio Armatus Ripensis were the better trained and armoured equivalent of their border cousins. Bravely they fought against the unyielding wall of shields and thrusting spears. For every one of the spearmen they took into the after life, five of their own died. Those that remained had to stand over their comrades, not yet breaking in the face of a hopeless situation. 'Break them!' growled Avidius, 'Break them now!' A chorus of cries of determination, a concerted push and the stubborn resistance in the bloodied streets that lead to the Palace of Daphne. The defence forces organised by Glycerius, the talented Roman general, was tightly squeezed towards the Imperial residence. Elsewhere, stragglers still disembarked from the Helepolis. Numerous battles raged inside the city, with much damage been done by the invaders. Yet there would be only one outcome. Julianus had driven off the concerted attack from several relief armies, fighting amongst the rustling corn fields outside the city. There would be no help in time. The city was to fall into the hands of the new Emperor.

The citizens had long since fled or cowered inside basements and in their homes. Ominous signs of circling black birds in the preceding days had convinced many that a great slaughter was to befall the city of Constantine, Julianus been a pagan monster that would cast a dark shadow over the city and drive the believers of God to their deaths. The uncertainty created all manner of wild gossip and fear laden rumours. Glycerius allowed himself none of the nonsense that the chamberlains and courtesans and other snivelling court officials subscribed to. He believed that Julianus wanted to avenge the persecution of his family and drive a tyrant from power, not motivated by any religious hatred. Accordingly he armed his men the best he could from the city armouries. He had little time; he had expected a protracted siege in which the defenders may prosper with the arrival of adequate reinforcements, yet he now realised that Julianus would figure that the longer he delayed the more difficult it would be for him. Now after several months, his men poured over the walls in large numbers, battle hardened and skilled men who had fought their way from Gallia, across Illyria and now into Greece. Glycerius now stood out amongst his crumbling forces, doing what he could in face of a bleak situation.

Numerous runners came and went before Julianus. All reports were encouraging and instilled confidence in himself. 'My Lord...Maximianus says the Jovii are within sight of the Palace and are heading their now...they have Glycerius in sight. He awaits further orders' Julianus did not wish to see Glycerius rashly killed by frenzied troops. The man would be a useful ally, if he could be persuaded as such. 'Have him surrounded but do not harm him. I want him alive...I will be there shortly!' He turned away to see the Ripensis finally break, turn and then be pursued by the spearmen who leapt over the multitudes of bodies. 'Not long now Avidius...and it shall all be ours!' he grinned. Avidius offered a mischievous grin. 'Remember...no looting, no burning! ' Julianus reminded Avidius sternly. 'I expect that order to be faithfully carried out or there shall be consequences! Now...I have a governor to catch!' It was very disappointing to hear such words, having been inside such a wealthy city full of wealthy noble just waiting to be robbed, those heinous Arian Christian's to be profaned and blasphemed against. Avidius reluctantly reminded his men such duties as they reorganised themselves after those that fled disappeared amongst the maze of buildings.

Backs pressed to the gates of the palace were Glycerius was, a tight ring of men protecting their commander, shields out and spears pointed towards the encircling Romans. The battles through out the city now had worn down to little more than minor skirmishes and now the capture of Glycerius would bring proceedings to a satisfactory halt. Julianus galloped through the parting men, towards Maximianus who was dusty and blood stained after having engaged himself in the fighting. The Emperor dismounted and strode past Maximianus, patting him on the shoulder. Looking past the guards he saw Glycerius with his sword in hand. He like Maximianus, was covered in grime, sharing in the trials and tribulations of his now defeated comrades.

'Lay down your arms men...the battle is now lost for you' implored Julianus. 'Let there be no more pointless blood shed!Come over to me!” The bodyguards looked about desperately before the arrayed forces of Julianus. Fighting on would be suicide and it was clear that for a few they had no intentions of a glorious and noble death in defence of their commander and city. Without hesitation they dropped their swords to the ground, removed their shields and trudged towards Julianus. The trickle turned into a flood as more men decided on self preservation. Only Glycerius remained, still clutching his sword intently, his blue eyes blazing in defiance, golden blond hair matted with sweat and dust.

'Glycerius, come, put down your weapon. Come over to me'

'Never' he spat. 'I recognise only the rule of Constantius, not an ursurper who has no right. You'd also seek to eradicate Christianity and return the Empire to darker days, to false Gods. I will not submit'

'I do not seek the persecution of those who choose to worship what God they chose....but of my claims to rule, you are very much mistaken' countered Julianus. The Emperor was about to explain himself, no doubt a futile venture, when Glycerius suddenly roared and charged towards him, sword raised high ready to slash downwards. Maximianus saw it first, realised his intentions and stepped forward and smashed the attacking governor square in the nose with a savage clenched fist. Glyercius stopped as if crashing into a brick wall and collapsed in a heap, blood pouring from his broken nose and an utterly dazed look clouding his face.

Maximianus smirked at the bleeding wreck before him. 'Now that would have fanned the flames I'd imagine...becoming a martyr at the hands of a Pagan emperor' Julianus looked at his Tribune. 'A mighty fine right hook you have. Where did you learn that?' Maximianus looked at Julianus innocently. 'Certainly wouldn't have been a misspent youth in and around tavernas my Lord' Julianus chuckled and then ordered Glycerius to be taken away and treated. The battle for Constantinople had ended, a rather one sided battle where the outcome had not ever been in doubt. A battle that had been seven years in the making since the proclamation by his soldiers whilst battling the Franci and now Julianus stood inside Constantinople as it's conqueror.

All around him he saw his soldiers crowd closer, all as bone weary as he was yet there was elation on their faces. He felt it surge as well through his body. There was still so much more work to do, with the Goths still holding parts of Greece...and Constantius in the field somewhere in that region. Yet he had achieved a major, symbolic victory. Julianus allowed himself to bask in the moment, in spite of everything that stood before him. He removed his helmet and his golden hair seemed to shine brilliantly in the afternoon sun. His sword was thrust into the air and he said simply. 'Victory!' His soldiers were enthusiastic in their response. Clattering their shields with swords and spears, they bellowed with vigour 'Victory! Hail Flavius Claudius Julianus! Hail!' Julianus dropped his sword. He eased himself upon his knees and leaned forward, planting a kiss upon the pavement before the grand edifice that was the palace constructed by Constantine, an act that further incited the soldiery to grand boasts and acclamations.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 6/5/12)

Chapter XXXIII

"...I felt that everything had cluttered my mind, restricted my thinking like the tightest binding of ropes. All events and all that was presented before me made me hesitant in all that I did. I would worry of to what the Gods would present to me, whether they would see me as a vile usurper, unworthy and accordingly do their worst deeds upon me as divine punishment for my errors. Yet it clears when I think of what has befallen myself and those relations of mine persecuted as such by Constantius. I also have clarity when I realise that I stand in the city of Constantine because of perseverance on my part and that of my men, to right wrongs and set Rome back onto the path on which it has strayed from.

Yet still when I think of what needs to be done, I despair and wonder when it shall ever end? When will the Gods decide that enough is enough and this whole damnable business of civil war is done with? Will Constantius ever come to the realisation that war among Romans is folly, as I begin to see it now? All I ever desired from him was discourse, to speak on even terms as rational men but he now chooses to continue a path most stubborn, therefore I must continue on this ruinous path whilst he still resists.

Yet I ramble too much Decimius Valens! I mean not to bore you senseless with my musings, my hopes and my despairs. I guess this is what befalls one when he neglects the business of writing letters to those that matter. I trust that Britannia is not too quarrelsome for you, let alone those Franci levies gifted to you by the King of Francia. It is heartening to hear that the lands that had been so troublesome for the Empire have finally been conquered, though there is the hard work at hand convincing the natives as to the benefits of civilization. Hopefully it does not involve too much bloodshed, particularly on Magnentius' part, for he can be a little too sanguinary for his own good. Hopefully for you, your time in Britannia will be at an end and your experiences can lead you on to greener pastures. I must go now, for Oribasius waits patiently at the doors of my study, claiming he has someone of note that I would like to see, even at this late hour. May the Gods be with you Decimius Valens."

Julianus placed down his penna, rolled up the scroll and placed upon it wax and the Imperial seal. He rubbed his aching eyes, for he had sat in these darkened confines, aside from the dim light of a candle, for some hours, desperately catching up on the never ending correspondence from across the Empire and to respond in kind as well. He longed for a trip to the baths but that would have to wait. 'Send them in Oribasius' Julianus called out in a hoarse voice. He had turned his back to the entrance as he sifted through piles of scrolls and tablets. Who on the name of the All-Seeing-One would wish his audience as such hours of the night? It was nearing midnight, the Emperor reckoned.

'I expected nothing less, to see you buried under a sea of scrolls...' said a sweet, soothing voice, one that instantly sent Julianus' heart beating rapidly. He spun around and inadvertently cluttered several scrolls from the desk; before him, as he gathered his senses was a sight for very sore and tired eyes. Her smile and shining blue eyes sent his heart fluttering. 'My dear Helena!' he stammered. 'How...when...' Helena giggled lightly at his sudden discomfort. 'Not that it really matters, but Felix came for me whilst I waited in Rome. He has told me much. Look at you, Emperor of Rome...all of this yours' she grinned as she moved closer to him. 'Forgive my flailing, for I was not expecting you so soon...I did wonder where Felix had gotten to. I had planned within the next week to send for you...' he said apologetically. She came up to him and they embraced warmly. 'It does not matter, I knew you hadn't forgotten' Helena replied.

Julianus felt the weight of the world fall from his shoulders, if just for a time, in the presence of his wife. He had not seen her since leaving Italy after marching south from Gallia in his first foray eastwards. Never whilst on the long, seemingly endless campaigning and those lonely nights, punctuated by his ceaseless writing and occasional dialogues with Orabasius and later Maximus, did he ever entertain the thought of pleasure with another women. He lost himself in those amazing blue eyes. Briefly he was reminded of the fact that she was Constantius' sister, in her features, yet the love was genuine between them in spite of the unfortunate circumstances.

'Hard at work I see' she looked at the correspondence before them, nodding at the scroll by itself with the Imperial seal. 'There is never enough hours in the day for all that I must do' He saw the object that held her gaze. 'Ah yes...a letter to Decimius Valens, the man I adopted into the family in Augusta Treverorum. I do not believe you have met him' She shook her head. 'No I have not, but I have read much of him in your letters'

'A man of convenience, they might say' said Julianus, as he rubbed Helena's stomach and looked down longingly. She grasped his hand lightly. 'It's as if the Gods have punished us for something' she said sadly. 'I still live in hope every day that we shall see our very own child, our flesh and blood, so that we may carry on the name of the family, that there is someone to take control should something happen to me' said Julianus, looking past Helena. 'We can only try' she said 'and have a little fun in the process' she grinned seductively. Julianus offered a tired smile. 'I would like nothing more my love...yet the business of Empire still reaches out to me, I can scarcely rest! There is so much to organise... Constantius still resists! The fool!' he said exasperatedly. He then looked at Helena. 'Forgive me, I forget sometimes that he is your brother'

'Do not trouble yourself. He can be quite the obstinate type' she replied, rather absently, he voice drifting away before snapping back to the present. 'Do you plan to make Decimius your heir?' she asked suddenly. Julianus nodded in the affirmative. 'At some point yes, there is still time for this to happen though, this must be handled carefully'

'What of Marcellus Barbatus?' she asked. 'Well, he will do the honourable thing and accept my wishes' Julianus said. 'He is an honourable man, he will see reason to it. I shall send Felix to enforce my will though I hope Felix has no cause to have him arrested'

'What if he declares himself Emperor too?'

'Then he will be destroyed. Yet I believe it will not come to that. As I said, he has honour. He will not bring disgrace to himself with irrational behaviour. Now, enough of the questions my dear...we are venturing into dangerous territory and you are also wearing me out with your questioning' he said with mock admonishment.

'Will you join me shortly?'

'Shortly could very well turn into much later my love' said Julianus softly, 'business of the Empire waits for no one, not even myself, yet I shall endeavor to deal with the important issues...then it shall just be you and I. Please forgive me, it has been many months since we have been in each others company and here we are, embracing but with brevity...I promise that we shall spend all the time in the world together'' The pair clasped hands and kissed lightly. 'You need not apologize, I understand. I shall wait' Helena said over her shoulder as she slipped silently from the room. As she disappeared into the cavernous hallways of the palace, Julianus let out a deep sigh as he scanned the scrolls before him. You may well be waiting some time my dear...your brother shall not let me sleep yet
    Last edited by Justinian Australis; May 09, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 9/5/12)

Great updates there, Justinian Australis! Moving from the hectic battle scenes to the intimacy of the emperor and his beloved Helena. It is rewarding to see Julianus in both those extremes.

Wow, I don't know if its because it's been a while since I've last read an AAR or what, but those last three chapters were just very well written, top notch stuff.

The post-battle description of Carthage, and all the lovely analogies, the tale you spun and the words you used, beautiful, just beautiful. One of my favourite chapters I think, very memorable. And yeah, Verenianus, I like how you have showed him thinking. I remember my own Verenianus, a very similar individual - perhaps treasonous thoughts run in the name methinks?

Loved chapter XXXI, a very nice sort of anti-climatic capture of Constantinople, but still very interesting, I quite liked the governor who charged at the Emperor trying to make himself a martyr. As someone recently pointed out in my thread, you make excellent use of verisimilitude, and I really like it, it makes the entire story very believable.

And chapter XXXII, perhaps one of your best I think. Its times like these, when I read say SBH's works, or your latest chapter with Julian and Helena, that I realise hard as I try, I will never quite achieve that level you guys have attained. Seriously, I think those intimate moments are few and far between in AAR's, but they give it a lot of depth and character, and especially when its written as well as you have done. THe entire thing is convincing, I could put myself there, believe that would be Julian's reaction, his way of handling things, I can almost feel the weight of the world on his shoulders.

So yeah, amazing stuff, really riveting, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Btw, your previous work got reviewed in the Critics Quill, did you know? You definitely deserved it.

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot and yes, I did see that review. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

Chapter XXXIV

From his vantage point upon the upper most terrace of the Palatium Magnum Julianus cast a keen gaze over the Bosporan sea, lightly stirred by a gentle easterly. He watched the quinquiremes and other assorted vessels making their way in and out of the city's multitude of harbors, bringing this and that. Even in the strife that engulfed the Empire, trade still managed to find a way to flourish, even in a diminished capacity. There were no signs of the warships of Constantius, which pleased Julianus. Outside the walls of the city, all was quiet. Regular patrols by the city garrison kept an ever watchful eye over the lands for incursions by Constantius' forces. Julianus came here to think; there was much to deliberate over, far too much he thought but such was the lot of the men in purple. All the worlds problems were heaped upon his shoulders and he was expected to remedy them and keep everyone happy. Some of those remedies, he thought grimly, would cause a fair few people quite a lot of grief.

His thoughts were shattered by the sudden wild and impassioned cheering of tens of thousands of attendees of the Hippodrome, bellowing their support for the charioteers and their steeds thundering around the dirt tracks to claim victory and glory. Julianus had retreated so deep into his own mind that he had forgotten all about the races he had organized for the citizenry, to win them over with his generosity. He had feigned illness this day, in no mood to watch trivialities like chariot racing and hearing the frantic cheers and acclamations of the mob baying for death and destruction of their favourite teams rivals. Though he could not see it but one charioteer and his pair of horses had come unstuck going around the end markers, forced too wide by the manoeuvrings of his rivals. Unable to extricate himself, the charioteer crashed into the walls of the Hippodrome and was killed instantly, his chariot disintegrating in a storm of wooden splinters.

Julianus had come up to the terrace after spending a contemplative morning in the reception of the Candidati, in a quite section of the room, cleared of any staff members and slaves, so that he may converse with Maximus and Oribasius. It allowed him to seek clarity and to distract himself, if for a fleeting moment. '...therefore, it cannot be limited by attributes, morality as we understand it cannot be found with Being, as it exists beyond being. Nothing can be bound by it'. Julianus listened eagerly, keen to lap up the esoteric thoughts of the Platonist.

'What would the ordinary man think to hear our rationales and debates, the in depth studies of the seemingly incomprehensible and abstract?' mused Julianus as he stroked his golden beard, which had of late been allowed to grow rather excessive. There seemed to be scarcely any time to indulge in such vanities as beard trimming. Maximus had been speaking at length on the idea of the One and its existence; that itself was beyond being and therefore defied all attempts at rational interpretation by man. Maximus snorted in derision. 'What would be the point in discussing it with them? They'd never understand, there would be no point to the exercise in attempting to outline the tenements of such thought'

Julianus looked at the philosopher with some surprise. 'Do you really believe that Maximus?'

'Of course I do. I see no point to it'

Julianus shook his head in disagreement. 'I do not accept your view point. For every man each has the capacity to enrich themselves personally, through abstract thought and the studies of the classics whether they are philosophical treatises or histories, even if he were not the brightest altogether. Every man can better themselves in some way or form no matter their occupation or lot in life'

Maximus was still very much unconvinced by the Emperor's stand point. 'Educating the masses? What a preposterous notion! They have their place and that is at their fish stalls, their stables, their...their shops!' he spluttered. Julianus shook his head sadly, looking towards Oribasius who sat silently during the exchange, completely unreadable. 'The time for tying people for life to their occupations has well and truly died...Diocletianus was doing the best he could in such treacherous times yet it was always fraught with problems. Educating the masses can only benefit the Empire. It is my wish to restore harmony and justice to the people that they have long been denied, where they have been abused and harassed and made to suffer all manner of injustices, raped of all they had to meet the needs of the Empire. This is what I will Maximus, as much as I respect and greatly admire your counsel and our debates, and it shall be so. As soon as the Empire is one again, a new birth Rome shall undergo' Julianus arose from his place of sitting. His visions and ideals, breaking forth for a moment from the ever pervading sense of futility, invigorated his bruised and battered soul. His hands were used in expressive movements to emphasise his thoughts. 'Look around my friends, the Empire is a bloated and corpulent body of corruption that threatens to swamp all. You can see it even here in the city of Constantine, so many servants and court officials that Constantius has appointed almost in an off handed fashion, if only to suit his own ego and tastes in this and that. How many chefs does an Emperor need after all?'

'Our dialogues has allowed me to come to the ideals in which those in positions of power must behave. Whilst it is proper than an Emperor be treated with the utmost respect and reverence, it is not so to put ones self on such a pedestal to be totally removed and aloof from those around him. It's not so mystical been an Emperor...tiring and tedious yes, but he is still a human being with two arms and two legs, eyes and ears...he should use those eyes and ears to listen and learn from those that are around him, to engage his subjects and subordinates in appropriate dialogue to further himself and the Empire. The autocratic ways of old are dead to me. Of course there are courses and reforms that shall be insisted on by myself but I seek greater responsibility from those around me to do the right thing by the Empire herself and the people'

Oribasius and Maximus saw the fire that blazed in his eyes, feeling the passion that every word of Julianus carried. Maximus still harboured a degree of scepticism. Oribasius spoke. 'Lofty and noble ideals to be achieved my Lord, yet it is something that you shall need to tread carefully with. Will the people really be pleased that you seek to move among them? Or will others see you as cheapening the office of Emperor, removing that seemingly essential...to them...separation of the Emperor, divine and all knowing, from the commoners and then ridicule you for it? I do not counsel you either way but you stray into uncomfortable waters' Oribasius rested his chin upon his hands, as if further pondering what to say next.

'Not to mention your ideals of looser governance...' Maximus piped up. 'It is not loose governance Maximus' countered Julianus. 'It will be simply guidance issued to all governors and the Duxes on proper decisions they may chose to take relating to particular events, as mandated by myself. I am no fool Maximus...' Maximus put his hands up in apology, 'I do not mean to infer you as one my lord...'

Julianus nodded, 'I was not saying that you were but I do realise that to entrust too much responsibility to men in power can be a troublesome thing, men becoming over bloated with importance and having the wrong designs about themselves. I am simply seeking greater participation from those in positions of power, through mandates issued by myself, to do no harm to the Empire and seek only her greater good, to make the business of Empire more humane. Much suffering has befallen the Empire...and still does, Maximus! Can we not strive for better?'

'Of course we can' Maximus replied, 'yet I have one question and this, I feel is a most pertinent one as it's an issue that has caused much grief to many. That is Christianity. What do you will as the course to take?'

'Toleration' Julianus said simply, sitting back down into his chair and clasping the arm rests, looking comfortable for a change. 'Toleration?' queried Oribasisu. 'Is that wise?' Julianus regarded his physician friend evenly. 'I ask you Oribasius. Is it wise to persecute so many for their faith? To make martyrs of men and to further inflame hostility and deepen their faith towards Christus? No. I will not have it as that. Men and women will be free to worship whom ever they choose. Those though, who persecute someone because of their faith will be duly punished, each situation taken into account'

And so the morning had passed, Julianus having the opportunity to lay down the way forward, just as soon as Constantius was out of the equation. Unbenownst to him, whilst caught during his period of reflection, a courier had been escorted to his location by Maximianus. By the senior Tribune had moved on from the battlefield and was now accepted into the ranks of Julianus' bureaucratic arm as a key adviser. 'My Lord, there is a message you should read at once' said Maximianus. Julianus turned around startled but said nothing. He looked down at the young man who beheld the message. 'From Constantius?' he asked, heart full of hope, after having sent correspondence to his rival in the hope of reaching an understanding in this civl war. He knew that any acceptance of terms was extremely unlikely, though only on the relinquishment of his claim to the throne and to be subject to the whims and desires of Constantius.

Maximianus nodded as the Emperor took the letter, before quietly retiring just from view from the terrace. He moved into a shady location and sat down and begun reading.

'I cannot but regard you claim with a degree of astonishment and wonder, that you'd seek to be regarded alongside me as equals, dividing the spoils of an Empire as if she were loot for the soldiers to divide amongst themselves. It is by the grace of God that I alone shall rule as sole Emperor, nothing more nothing less. If only you had not given yourself over to the petulance of the soldiers under your care who so rashly and foolishly declared you as Emperor, with you not having given them due care and diligence that they'd be so impetuous and hot headed in their emotions like weak and silly women. For the rest of your concessions and compromises, which I only assume as I did not bother read the rest of it, they are rejected. However as I am a man of benevolence and supreme clemency, I will not allow harm to come to you if you but only relinquish your false assumptions and at once return to your post as Caesar, ever loyal and unfailingly obedient to myself, the rightful Emperor of Rome. Fail to do so and I cannot guarantee anything else that may happen. You will be rightfully condemned as a traitor, derided and ridiculed as a vile usurper by right thinking men'

'Fool!' Julianus shouted, hands shaking from the belligerence that dripped from every word of Constantius' reply. 'He seeks to take me as a fool...become Caesar again and no harm shall come to me. Does he think I came down in the last rain storm?' He crumpled the letter and hurled it off the terrace. He was angry but he had expected it. He had honestly sought conciliation but deep down, at least now it gave him a pretext to continue the war. Constantius would be seen as someone clinging stubbornly to a sinking ship, refusing to believe in his current predicament, only to recognise it far too late as it sunk, like his fragile grip on Emperor. Cities and towns all came over to Julianus. Constantius' armies deserted him in droves and yet he continued his delusion.
    Julianus stood up and smoothed out his tunic. He walked down a set of stairs to find Maximianus waiting, with an expectant look on his face. 'Of course, you knew' Julianus said pre-emptively. 'What shall be your next step my Lord?'

'You would very well know that answer my friend...I shall personally march against Constantius and end this, this has gone on long enough. The longer he resists, the greater chance he has to sully my name with agents of discontent' Julianus brow was creased in thought. 'The men will be clamouring for battle, against the man that stands before them, preventing them been the pre-eminent forces of the Empire. Then...the east stands before us'

'Where is he by the way?' asked the Emperor

'Nicopolis, the reports have it...besieging Serenianus there. I am told that Dulicitius Calpurnius is before the walls of Thessaloniki but faces enormous numbers of Goths. Heraclianus is making his way along the northern fringes of Macedonia towards Thrace, here he will hit the Goths, hopefully driving them beyond the Danuvius once again' Maximianus knew every minute detail of the military's manouverings. It did not escape him that finally, after many months of procrastination that Julius Athanaes had captured Poetovio from the lazyges yet at great cost. Games were held by the victorious Roman to celebrate the victory and to honour the dead. This fresh news had brought much joy to the Emperor.

'A sound strategy you proposed Maximianus, it shall have the Goths reeling with a twin assault. Now that the lazyges have been expelled back across the river, I feel we can now impose peace on them. Constans Laebinius is at Sirmium and is well versed in the ways of the Sarmatians so we should have him at once present terms to them. Have Orestes draw up terms that force the Sarmatians to recognise the current borders between us, they are to remain beyond the Danuvius unless engaged in lawful trade with the Empire. Plus they are to provide assistance to Rome in the war against the Tervingi Goths in military and financial terms. They have a significant treasury, that I am sure of that they can contribute to our finances. In short we shall ground them into the dust. To emphasis our demands, Marcellus Barbatus should accompany Constans Laebenius with a considerable force'

'It will be done' nodded Maximianus. The pair then walked silently together back to the reception of the Candidati to at once begin the preparations for the attack on Constantius.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Default Re: [IB SAI:AAR] The Last Pagan Emperor (UPDATED 24/5/12)

A very nice update. I am eager to see what's going on in the map though.

Does he think I came down in the last rain storm?'
    Loved that part Oh, and the bit with Maximus and Oribasius too. Nice getting to get a glimpse of Julian's mind too.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Most excellent, your dialogue especially is a fine read and I enjoy it very much. Please, continue!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I can only add the same thoughts, very well written and well deserved write up in the Quill. +rep

Echoed here. This is turning into a masterful AAR. Your dialogue is tense and riveting and really captures a feel for the period. Looking forward to the next update!