Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Wardrobe of 1805 - A Uniform Modification - Version 2 Out with Prussians

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default The Wardrobe of 1805 - A Uniform Modification - Version 2 Out with Prussians

Prince of Essling and EmperorBatman999 present...
    The Wardrobe of 1805

Foreword. This mod is the succesor to the highly popular 1805 Hat Mods from a couple years ago. It was one of my first major modding projects and if Napoleon: Total War didn't run on the Variant-model system I would've never been able to make that mod, and ultimately my other mods for NTW. This mod, like the last, aims to bring many of the game's uniforms to 1805-standards.
    Foreword.
    I did some re-examination of the 1805 uniforms, and I found I was wrong on many of them. The coats weren't right, some of trousers weren't sufficient either. So I decided to start straight from scratch again and try to make the uniforms as accurate as possible, from boot to plume. Of course, a few uniforms remain unchanged due to either a lack of sources, their iconicalness or just simply didn't need changing!

France

The French Uniform design, aside from some minor details, changed very little throughout the Napoleonic Period. The French Republic had created a practical, comfortable, yet smart and patriotic uniform that was there to stay until 1812. Only minor changes were made, like the addition of a shako in 1807 to replace the bicorn and bearskins. There was also a very brief experiment with white uniforms that starkly reminded people of the Royalist Regime before the Revolution in the same year!

Fusiliers:
    A very standard uniform that didn't change much.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Chasseurs a Pied:
    No changes here, remains vanilla. The Chasseurs adopted Shakos back in 1802.

Voltigeurs:
    The Voltigeurs at this time wore a similar uniform to Fusiliers, but their shoulders were capped with yellow and green epaulettes.

Grenadiers:
    There was some debate over whether they wore a bearskin or a bicorn. Prince of Essling seemed to believe that if the regiment could afford bearskins, they would wear bearskins. Also not to mention the fact that bearskins are iconic for grenadiers.

Swiss Foot:
    There were some Swiss units taken from the forcefully created Helvetic Republic in Switzerland. They wore bicorns like other parts of the French Army they joined, but wore Red and Yellow uniforms.

Velites (Young Guard):
    Prince of Essling informed that the Young Guard didn't exist until 1809, but instead in its place in 1805 there were the Velites of the Imperial Guard. I remodelled the uniform on them and in the optional localization pack the name is changed with the stats remaining the same as the Young Guard.

Chasseurs a Cheval:
    The Chasseurs a Cheval used shakos by 1805, but at the time they wore the laced Dolman coat like Hussars.

Dragoons:
    The uniform used in Vanilla is the closed 1812 coat, but in 1805 they wore a coat similar to other parts of the army which had an open belly.

Carabiniers:
    At the time the Carabiniers would not their famous white coats and shining breastplates and helmets. They instead wore a uniform almost like the Grenadiers a Cheval.

Foot Artillery:
    Pretty standard, Bicorns instead of Shakos.

Britain:

Britain's uniforms at this time were from the reforms of 1798-99. The British had for the most part abandoned the old 18th century style uniform in place of the Stovepipe Shako. The Uniform was designed to be practical, comfortable and still professional. Britain mainted the same uniform for the most part up until 1812, with some minor adjustments, such as taking powdered and clubbed hair out of regulation by 1805 along with grenadier bearskins. The lack of change otherwise can probably be linked to the lack of British land campaigns until 1809, when Britain joined the Peninsular War. Aside from a few wars with the Marattas in India, the invasion of Denmark and minor operations in Southern Italy and the Greek Islands, Britain really didn't use their army much. In 1812, the Stovepipe shakos would begin being replaced by the Belgic-style Shakos. However, there are a few instances of some of the more veteran regiments keeping their shakos up until past Waterloo as trophies of their experience.

Fencibles:
    Pretty standard.

Foot:
    Now with the Stovepipe shakos used up until past 1812.

KGL Foot:

Light Foot (Officer):
    At this time, officers rarely wore shakos but instead their personal hats or bicorns. In this instance, this fellow wears his Top Hat.

Rifles (Officer):
    The Rifle Officer uniform is a tad more basic, especially with the coat. He wears a Tarlton Helmet.

Foot Guards:
    Stovepipe Shakos.

Light Dragoons:
    I actually prefer this uniform over CA's 1815-era choice. They wear blue hussar-styled coats and Tarleton Helmets.

KGL Light Dragoons:
    Again, very similar to their British variations.

Dragoons:
    The coat is somewhat more basic, with the iconic large Bicorn hats.

KGL Dragoons:

Guard Dragoons:
    Much like their regular equivalents, with the large Bicorns.

Life Guards:
    These men wore a very fancy uniform, and wore their bicorns in a different fashion than the Dragoons.

Horse Guards:
    Very similar uniform to the Life Guards, but reversed.

Foot Artillery:

Russia:

Russia was still suffering from the ecentric tastes of Czar Paul in 1805, despite his death the previous year. While Peter and Catherine the Greats worked hard to make the Russian army an effective fighting force, Paul turned it into his Toy Army. The uniforms were massively gaudy and very loud, then aim was trying to replicate the military pomp of the Germans. In 1805 the uniforms have toned down, a little. They would not get the Kiwer shakos until 1812, at this time wearing the cylindrical "Stovepipe" Shako (Not to be confused with the British type). Most of the Russian army at this time wear the "Potemkin" uniform, making the Russian army to some extent more standardised than other armies.

Opelcehenie (Reserve Regiment):
    The Russians did not employ militia at this time out of fear of winding up arming the peasant serfs. I instead replaced them with a generic "reserve regiment" that is fictional, but the uniform is based on Line Infantry in campaign uniform. The name is changed in the optional Loc pack.

Musketeers:
    The Russians were one of the first armies to adopt Shakos for their infantry. I made the uniform a little simpler and took off the rolled blankets of which I didn't see on any of the sources as well as giving them different boots.

Jagers:
    Jagers wore a relatively simple all grass-green uniform made for practicality.

Grenadiers:
    One of the more eye-popping uniforms of the time, the giant pom-pom even larger in the sources than I could give them in the game.

Pavlovsky Grenadiers:
    A simpler coat, although they get to keep their Mitre Caps. The regiment won the right to keep the Mitre Caps as the rest of the army grenadiers were made to retire them for the Shako. To me, it is their iconic symbol.

Guards of Foot:
    A uniform that is quite similar to the Grenadiers, but with a grander coat. Some of the Guards at this time still wore massive Bearskins.

Hussars:
    The biggest change was the plumed Shako and the boots.

Life Guard Hussars:

Dragoons:
    At this time the Dragoons had a lighter green coat and a different type of helmet.

Cuirassiers:
    Ironically, seeing by the sources I saw, they didn't wear cuirasses contrary to their name. Prussia also did something similar. The Russian Cuirassiers also have a different uniforms.

Foot Artillery:

Horse Artillery:
    A different helmet.

Austria:

At this time the Austrian army had switched over from the other casquet hats and powdered wigs for helmets and more modern uniforms. Most of the Austrian was pretty much the same at this time. Some Shakos began appearing amongst the Hungarians and Border Troops (Grenzers), but the full army wouldn't switch over until 1809.

German Fusiliers:

Hungarian Fusiliers:

Archduke Charles's Legion:
    The uniform was made all-white but the facings.

]

Grenzers:
    The coat was made white. Some regiments had brown coats in 1805, but that would not be a standardized order until 1807 and wouldn't be complete until even later. The Grenzer uniform on a whole wasn't very standardised, and many different types of headwear were worn.

Jagers:

Artillery:
    The artillery still wore Corsican-style hats, but some officers wore red-plumed helmets.

Prussia:
    The Prussian army was a victim of complacency in 1805. Frederick the Great had brought Prussia many great victories during the 7-Years-War, and so the Prussians saw no reason to change their army despite being 50 years since that war ended. Prussian uniforms changed little, and they looked archaic compared to other countries' armies. Their defeats at Valmy durnig the First War of the Coalition and Jena and Auerstadt in 1806 were caused by Prussia's unwillingness to change and adapt, and Prussia paid the ultimate price. It would only be in 1813 as Napoleon weakened that Prussia would rise again, completely modernized and reformed.

Landwehr:
    A mostly made-up uniform, as the Landwehr (or any militia units for that matter) didn't exist until 1813.

Musketeers:
    An old-fashion uniform and very remiscent of the 18th century.

Fusiliers:
    These were the first Prussian units to wear shakos. Otherwise their uniforms are similar to the line.

Jagers:
    An all-green uniform to help in camoflage. Despite Prussia's old tastes, at least they recognised the use of Rifles.

Grenadiers:
    I must apologize for the hat, the Prussians used an odd cap that isn't in the game. This is one of the closest things to it.

Foot Guards:
    Like the Grenadiers, but somewhat more formal.

Lancers:
    Yes, these are copied from the Towarczys, but since that is a pre-order unit no longer available and the historical uniform of the Prussian lancers before the reforms of 1813, I had no choice but to use this.

Dragoons:
    A uniform rather similar to the infantry, but a brighter blue.

Cuirassiers:
    Still no Cuirrases. Prussia abandoned these some years before 1806.

General:
    The Prussian high-command had very old tastes, and so many still wore wigs. Also at the time many officers wore uniforms according to their own personal tastes, so a lot of these uniforms are based on guesswork.

Foot Artillery:

Horse Artillery:

Installation:
    1. Download the mod here and (optionally) names pack.
    2. Place them in your NTW Data folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\data)
    3. Activate with Mod Manager or User.Script

4. Enjoy

Special thanks to Midnight-Blue766 for the download link!

Last edited by EmperorBatman999; December 18, 2019 at 06:09 PM.

Default Re: The Wardrobe of 1805 - A Uniform Modification

Technically if prussia is not done then it should not be realesed.

i have some photos of 1805-1806 era for the prussian army.

Quote Originally Posted by king of prussia View Post
    Technically if prussia is not done then it should not be realesed.

i have some photos of 1805-1806 era for the prussian army.
    I know what they look like, I'm just waiting for somebody to finish the atlas, as they have strange uniforms.

what do you mean by atlas?.

An atlas holds all the textures for uniforms of a specific faction. Prussia's unusual uniforms mean that a custom atlas needs to be made to get the uniforms to work.

Emperor, I love your work, its has added so much to NTW! I have used several of your mods but cannot get the new wardrobe mod to work. I always use mod manager and it always works. It shows your new wardrobe mod loaded but nothing is changed in the game. All uniforms remain the same. Do I need to unload your hats mods first? What am I doing wrong?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Quote Originally Posted by ordoprinceps View Post
    Emperor, I love your work, its has added so much to NTW! I have used several of your mods but cannot get the new wardrobe mod to work. I always use mod manager and it always works. It shows your new wardrobe mod loaded but nothing is changed in the game. All uniforms remain the same. Do I need to unload your hats mods first? What am I doing wrong?
    In battle even? The UI cards aren't changed.

My mistake. Is there away to change the unit cards or is that to a grandios a plan? Regardless, your work is fabulous! Thanks again!!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

And what do you mean by i am waiting for someone to finish the atlas. I am really looking froward to prussian 1805 textures i have never seen anyone make a historical acurate prussian 1805 uniform. Quads is the closest but again that is just line infantry Also his prussian pants are horrible. When is prussia going to be realesed?.

Quote Originally Posted by king of prussia View Post
    And what do you mean by i am waiting for someone to finish the atlas. I am really looking froward to prussian 1805 textures i have never seen anyone make a historical acurate prussian 1805 uniform. Quads is the closest but again that is just line infantry Also his prussian pants are horrible. When is prussia going to be realesed?.
    In order for the Prussian uniforms to "work" they need to have textures on a certain thing called an "atlas," a special texture file.

And yes, eventually I will get UI cards added. Perhaps once Prussia is added.

You are striving for 1805 accuracy and it looks great, but the uniforms change as the war goes on so we need to change head gear again later. Do we unload the wardrobe mod later and go back to vanilla? They weren't wearing Bicorns in 1811 where they?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

You are striving for 1805 accuracy and it looks great, but the uniforms change as the war goes on so we need to change head gear again later. Do we unload the wardrobe mod later and go back to vanilla? They weren't wearing Bicorns in 1811 where they?
    Yes, the mod can be unloaded when you choose to have your uniforms set to 1812-standards.

That was also a thing with UI cards is that they caused the game to CTD if they were used in a mod then the mod was removed.

Thannks for that info. I have a request... Your uniform improvements are excellent it would be great to keep them in 1812 but with 1812 headgear. Is that possible? I am not a modder I just enjoy your work. I wish I knew how to mod because the changes are really worth it in the game. Well, regardless thanks for all your hard work on the mods.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Thannks for that info. I have a request... Your uniform improvements are excellent it would be great to keep them in 1812 but with 1812 headgear. Is that possible? I am not a modder I just enjoy your work. I wish I knew how to mod because the changes are really worth it in the game. Well, regardless thanks for all your hard work on the mods.
    Wait, you want 1805 hats on 1812 uniforms, or 1812 hats on 1805 uniforms?

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yes... It does cause that... and it takes fifteen reinstalls to fix... as I learned with TGW... *shivers*

But great work, I've been looking for Frenchmen with Bicorns for quite a while.

Im not an expert on Napoleonic era uniforms. The head gear changes are obvious but I persoanlly wouldn't recognize uniform changes between 1805 and 1812. Your changes are eye candy. Textures etc. I would like to see real visual quality and accuracy in 1812 as well as 1805. I am really partial to the visual of the leather and plumed helmets of the Austrians/Bavarians etc. Also I always that Grenidiers wore bearskins hats. I am confused that some have it and some don't. But again I am no expert. Whatever you do, your work is outstanding!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Most of the game's original uniforms are from about 1812.

Yes I gathered that. That is why you worked so hard to make the 1805 changes. I assume that there are in accuracies in the vanilla versions however, even for the 1812 versions.
    What about bearskins for grenidiers? Didn't they still use them in 1812?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Ok, I understand. No, most bearskins were taken out of service by 1807. I think the Old and Middle Guard got to keep theirs, however.

Thanks for your clarification. Thanks to one of your excellent mods we now have middle guard units and they are wearing bearskin's.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast