Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DLV vs SS

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: DLV vs SS

Isn't DLV dead? Execpt for the submod, but there are no new news about progress.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Minotaur View Post
    Isn't DLV dead? Execpt for the submod, but there are no new news about progress.
    Yes, of course it's dead by your terms. But it's also beyond compare. Have you played it?
    Last edited by Taiji; February 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    Yes, of course it's dead by your terms. But it's also beyond compare. Have you played it?
    No, maybe i will, but the creators abandoned this mod, have'nt they?

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Repman and many others are doing other things, but I'm a creator and there are others about

Check out DLV 6.2 with the BB submod. Adding that submod amounts to a massively more significant update than any you've ever seen a preview for, in any mod, any game, for all time, amen.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Repman and many others are doing other things, but I'm a creator and there are others about

Check out DLV 6.2 with the BB submod. Adding that submod amounts to a massively more significant update than any you've ever seen a preview for, in any mod, any game, for all time, amen.
    Here HERE!

Hmm fair enough, but its always better to play the mod when you know that the mod is being worked on, on all angles

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Nah, it makes no difference at all. You play what you are given in any case. And what happens in the future obviously has no effect on the present.

If you really enjoyed the mod, but got bored and started playing something else, then that's when you want to hear about a new version that will make playing it interesting again.

BTW did you know that DLV was the first mod for M2TW? By now it's also the deepest, so compared to other mods you have less worry about in terms of becoming bored of it - In fact you should be more worried about the amount of L2P it requires due to it's depth, that is unless you actually like thinking...
    Last edited by Taiji; February 29, 2012 at 07:19 AM.

Nah, it makes no difference at all. You play what you are given in any case. And what happens in the future obviously has no effect on the present.

If you really enjoyed the mod, but got bored and started playing something else, then that's when you want to hear about a new version that will make playing it interesting again.

BTW did you know that DLV was the first mod for M2TW? By now it's also the deepest, so compared to other mods you have less worry about in terms of becoming bored of it - In fact you should be more worried about the amount of L2P it requires due to it's depth, that is unless you actually like thinking...
    Fine, i will dll the mod, and your BB submod, but have you integrated the latest germanicus AI in it ?

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

DLV dead yet?

In my humble opinion the last BB version is a solid product. Well balanced , smart looking , unforgiving , dark , mind challenging , scary , and highly , and I really mean totally over the top addictive. Each campaign a unique experience. Kinda what I always sought in a Medieval Total War game. And no matter what new games get released , I always tend to end up playing DLV+BB after a while.

@Lord Minotaur : Do try out! Mind you , it can overwhelm you in the beginning. It has tons of features you will probably be unaware of. Persevere! Don't be afraid to ask us for advice.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; February 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Lord Minotaur, I use G5's idea to get the AI to deploy stakes, but I've scripted it to be done the way I want so it's quite different.

And G5 discovered an interesting setting that determines a bit of how reinforcements behave. I probably don't use the same value but I'm thankful for him discovering the setting.

But that's it really. The rest is my own work. A hell of a lot of work. I treat unit stats as a part of the AI, so everything relevant is tuned for 'optimal' AI behaviour.

I don't know of a mod with a harder battle system. The AI sometimes s up really badly if the player sallies, or if the player interferes with the enemy while the AI assaults but has not yet breached the gate. But aside from the problem all mods face - The walls are not big enough to accommodate the amount of units that can be ordered on to them, which can cause frozen AI - I think my AI has the least problems.

I won't go into detail and I don't think it's reasonable to compare my modding the entire battlefiled with his focus on AI. But I think DLV+BB offers the best battlefield experience for players that like what I like.

I will point out that my battle-script makes the AI better than it ever could have been without, and that it makes field battles vs multiple AI armies a downright scary experience instead of a boring exploit-fest. But you will see for yourself, and decide for yourself, soon enough
    Last edited by Taiji; February 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Lord Minotaur, I use G5's idea to get the AI to deploy stakes, but I've scripted it to be done the way I want so it's quite different.

And G5 discovered an interesting setting that determines a bit of how reinforcements behave. I probably don't use the same value but I'm thankful for him discovering the setting.

But that's it really. The rest is my own work. A hell of a lot of work. I treat unit stats as a part of the AI, so everything relevant is tuned for 'optimal' AI behaviour.

I don't know of a mod with a harder battle system. The AI sometimes s up really badly if the player sallies, or if the player interferes with the enemy while the AI assaults but has not yet breached the gate. But aside from the problem all mods face - The walls are not big enough to accommodate the amount of units that can be ordered on to them, which can cause frozen AI - I think my AI has the least problems.

I won't go into detail and I don't think it's reasonable to compare my modding the entire battlefiled with his focus on AI. But I think DLV+BB offers the best battlefield experience for players that like what I like.

I will point out that my battle-script makes the AI better than it ever could have been without, and that it makes field battles vs multiple AI armies a downright scary experience instead of a boring exploit-fest. But you will see for yourself, and decide for yourself, soon enough
    Ok, thanx for all the detailed posts, and i guess DLV is the best mod for expanding your family tree and role playing with them? Am i right?

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Minotaur View Post
    Ok, thanx for all the detailed posts, and i guess DLV is the best mod for expanding your family tree and role playing with them? Am i right?
    Yes.

Babri's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser1993 View Post
    Download DLV 6.0 and 6.2 patch here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219295

And if you want a submod I recommend this one
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219603
    The torrent links are dead & direct download links requires creating an account on a website which I am not able to due to some reason. Is there any other link I can download it from ?

SS is buggy, i was able only get to 132 turn and no way to avoid ctd. after about 130 turns mod crashes and can do nothing. DLV also crash every 4,5th turn but then u do autosave and can play again next 5 turns. So i preffer DLV couse is able to get to the end.

Babri's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksmiff View Post
    SS is buggy, i was able only get to 132 turn and no way to avoid ctd. after about 130 turns mod crashes and can do nothing. DLV also crash every 4,5th turn but then u do autosave and can play again next 5 turns. So i preffer DLV couse is able to get to the end.
    Not really. The major problems with SS are :-
    • Godlike cavalry which can kill dozens of stacks.
    • Too much money especially if you are able to vassalise an AI.
    • Turn times is very long.

w.wallace61's Avatar Civis

For me SS without BGR IV or V is an expanded vanilla mod. But, with BGR its a real experience. Its very complex and hard.

Civis

ive been jonesing for some new MTW gaiming, but with family and work, i dont have 8 hours a day to try everything. This one comment makes me think that DLV with BB is the way to go. Awesome.
    I notice that as of Feb (adn I think July) it still seems that at least the submods are still being worked on.. that still the case here in October '12?

Quote Originally Posted by Townsaver View Post
    ive been jonesing for some new MTW gaiming, but with family and work, i dont have 8 hours a day to try everything. This one comment makes me think that DLV with BB is the way to go. Awesome.
    I notice that as of Feb (adn I think July) it still seems that at least the submods are still being worked on.. that still the case here in October '12?
    Unfortunately Taiji has been absent from forums for a couple of months. Although BB4.23 is quite a finished product, I wish Taiji would be back soon. We want new DLVelopments!

DLV + BB has been my favorite. It can still be improved though. There are many vanilla units still, not that they are bad, but compared to other mods this is where DLV falls back. Everything else, things like AI, campaign map, faction colors, UI, music, loading screens, development of characters, overall experience etc, is the best out there. Every campaign feels different. A shame this mod is underrated. By playing it, you will contribute to its fame. I am sure you will not regret it. You can later share your experience in BB4.23 forums. There are still loyal fans willing to read everything DLV-related.

Quote Originally Posted by ALHIMIK View Post
    Unfortunately Taiji has been absent from forums for a couple of months. Although BB4.23 is quite a finished product, I wish Taiji would be back soon. We want new DLVelopments!

DLV + BB has been my favorite. It can still be improved though. There are many vanilla units still, not that they are bad, but compared to other mods this is where DLV falls back. Everything else, things like AI, campaign map, faction colors, UI, music, loading screens, development of characters, overall experience etc, is the best out there. Every campaign feels different. A shame this mod is underrated. By playing it, you will contribute to its fame. I am sure you will not regret it. You can later share your experience in BB4.23 forums. There are still loyal fans willing to read everything DLV-related.
    (this two points can be "easily" edited by the players with ones own preferences, no need to wait for an new updated BB)

In my opinion
    SS is more Arcade style, kick-and-rush. Suit for rabbits
    DLV+BB more role-playing, micro-magement. Suit for turtles

I have tried almost all mods. DLV+BB is the mod I always return to, when I am bored with the others. Thereś no other mod so complex and entertaining such is DLV+BB. The only problem is with CTD´s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12