Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Tasty Green Brew (ORC CoW 1.44 AAR)

Default Re: A Tasty Green Brew (ORC CoW 1.44 AAR)

Ichon is back and green'a dan evva

The Border Princes are growing more worried- the Orc invasions seem barely checked and so far there is little progress to report on the Crusade. Many of the Crusading armies have not sent dispatches in weeks and the Orc invasion of Kislev seems unchecked. The Orcs near the Border Princes small principalities seem less aggressive but they still hold Karaz a-Karak and Karak Eight Peaks presenting a danger to all the Border Princes trade links to the Empire.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

General Fritz had received messages requesting reinforcement before an assault on Karaz a-Karak but as he marches up the Dwarven roads he meets an Orc army coming down with no sign of the army he was supposed to reinforce.

For the first time the Warboss Camp is directly threatened. Averland and has marched through the barren lands and managed to evade the Savage Orcs and other clans to arrive near Warboss Camp. Hochland had sent a cohort that had somehow managed to make it through the mountains but they had sustained heavy losses in the march.

Ruglud Bonechewer had been appointed to lead the Warboss Camp defense by Grimgor as he was one of the few Orc with direct experience with Empire siege methods and Grimgor did not really trust an Orc that had worked for humans and some rumors even claimed... stumpies. Keeping Ruglud isolated far from the main battle lines had been Grimgor's initial idea but now Ruglud is going to have to deal with the weight of the Empire's Crusade personally. As a mercenary Ruglud might have trouble finding work in the Empire after this should work ever reach of his role here. Of course if he leaves no survivors...

The Hochland army disappoints Ruglud immensely. After the long march and heavy losses in the mountains, to be set upon by massed Orcish artillery firing from the high ground is too much for the Hochlanders. They entire army beats a hasty retreat robbing Ruglud of a battle. Although Ruglud relishes melee combat less than most Orcs he absolutely loves sharp flying things, explosions, and really anything that allows him to kill his enemy from far away. It's not cowardice exactly, not to the way of thinking of an Orc, just... expedience. An Orc can kill far more enemy if he can kill them before they even get close.

Gorbad Eadsplitta had been sent to assist Warboss Camp against the Averland armies converging but is attacked in the barren lands before he and his small horde can reach the walls.

Gorbad doesn't hesitate to run away. He is no big boss with something to prove or an unshakeable faith in the Waaagh!

In the north Slookilla revels in his capture of Kislev and when word of more Crusader armies to the south arrives he doesn't try to push his horde to meet them in a march that might have been impossible anyway. Let the Orcs in the barren lands have some fun for a change.

However Rotootaa in Karak Kadrin does send a horde to block the pass hoping the Crusaders will choose to attack into very rough terrain to open the way to Warboss Camp.

Badruk takes advantage of the Border Princes obsession with Karaz a-Karak and ventures deeper into the principalities.

Game Info

The one problem with CoW and most epic mods is the sheer number of battles eventually starts to wear you down a bit. It took me 3 days to play through about 5 turns at this point in the campaign due to the number of battles and I enjoy siege battles the least and auto resolve vs small numbers is usually fairly accurate. It just sometimes assigns the losses to weird units but here I didn't care.

Karaz a-Karak comes under siege by another Border Prince army, Grimgor is ready and waiting this time.

Badruk is surprised to face to little resistance and attacks yet another Border Principality...

The loot from Badruk's sacking of every Border Prince city he comes across and the extortion from the countryside enriches the Savage Orcs and aids Grimgor's further plans for invasion of the Empire.

Slookilla has made Kislev the base of his growing horde while Karak Kadrin remains the center of Orc power in the north.

Crusader armies from the Empire traveling to Warboss Camp must survive the attacks of Slookilla's growing horde.

In the Border Principalities Badruk continues his reign of pillage.

Gorbad Eadsplitta had successfully evaded the attempts by the Averlander Crusaders to crush his small horde of reinforcements for Warboss Camp and now decides with Ruglud Bonechewer to attack the Crusading armies that are sure to besiege Warboss Camp. Attempting to establish a name for himself to match Badruk, Grimgor, and Slookilla...

The camp of Dieter Huss, Grimgor Crusade 2526...

"Dieter my good sir, how can you plan to wait for reinforcements before squashing this Orc infestation beneath the heels of our loyal cohorts?" so spoke Johannes der Bartige (as recorded by Gunder Halluzinierenwilden). Dieter Huss was the most accomplished general of Averland and had personally pledged the rights to several of his large estates to raise the funds to equip his own cohorts in the best material and undertake to achieve victory in this Crusade against Grimgor Ironhide. Dieter was not a cautious general by instinct he preferred the charge of Averlander cavalry and the swift defeat of his foes yet as a survivor of many battles Dieter has learned some lessons in his career. The absence of any other Crusader armies near Warboss Camp despite knowing that half a dozen had departed before the Huss and his cohort has alarmed Huss. He has written in his dispatches- a few of which actually arrive to Averheim- that there have been signs of some battles weeks ahead of his armies march but entire armies disappearing into the seemingly uninhabited barren lands is quite disturbing. In addition it seems unlikely that Grimgor is actually at Warboss Camp presently.

So Dieter Huss with heavy consideration and deliberate phrasing replies to Johannes, "General Bartige, do you see any Orcs aside from those hiding behind the weak walls of this Warboss Camp? This deep in the barren lands shouldn't there be Orcs swarming to attack us? We have seen only that single small band that we chased to the walls yet where are the other Crusading armies? At least a few should have arrived by now. No, this is no simple battle- we must preserve our strength and fix those Orcs whose whereabouts we know for sure in place and await reinforcements, some should arrive any day now. If we wish to march out of these lands as easily as we marched in we have to keep an appearance of strength up. Even these Orcs we see before us might dare to challenge us despite our heavy cavalry and cannon which normally serve to defeat even greater Orcish hordes. Something has gotten the greenskins all stirred up, perhaps it is this Grimgor Ironhide or perhaps it is something else but we have the supplies to wait 2 more months here at least with enough to sustain a return march at the end of that span. Wherever the other Crusading armies have gone we know the Orcs can not match the full strength of the Empire and even should the manage to ambush a few cohorts soon we should have the strength to tear down this wretched outpost and destroy the Orcish armament manufacturies whilst disrupting Grimgor's attempt to gather a Waaagh!"

"That is why we wait Johannes, I'd truly like to see these Orcs attempt to challenge us on the open plains where our crossbowmen, archers, and cannon would have free range and our cavalry could run them down. I know the priests speak of ill omens but such omens surround every military campaign I've been on, rely on our strengths and cede no weakness to the enemy, that is how the Empire is victorious."

The other details of this conversation are lost as Gunder Halluzinierenwilden's record becomes increasingly difficult to decipher as the man wandered out of the barren lands several months later having survived a journey very few men ever have.

The authenticity of this account is under dispute by some who challenge that an Empire force of this strength could ever have been defeated by the amount of Orcs Gunder's account records.This historian has little doubt as to the veracity of the record as Grimgor and his most famous bosses certainly defeated such odds in other battles. Perhaps Dieter Huss saved the Empire several future lost battles by eliminating some Black Orc who might have grown famous given more time...

As a result of the few survivors of this battle reaching the lands of men Averland moves with force into the Border Principalities...

Last edited by Ichon; February 03, 2012 at 01:42 AM.

Game Info

Just as an aside, Orcs are currently able to win autocalc battles in CoW very easily and under AI tend to expand well- however, the matter is different in actual battles where here is just an example. I know in this campaign I've had more close and desperate battles when the odds seemed even than in any other campaign I've played. Normally I don't find it difficult to win even 2:5 odds or worse with access to some decent cavalry or good missiles that can eliminate enemy general. Orcs have neither and despite what seems like good stats on their best units, Black Orcs- the very high cost of those units vs actual outcomes in battles is a bit disappointing.

Da Rock Lobba, Goblin Wolf riders, and Orc Big Uns on Boars are really the best units price/performance. Black Orcs are necessary in an Orc army mostly because they are the only units can can even have a chance holding the line against basic Empire troops and at least coming out even. All other Orc melee units can hold the line for awhile but will eventually lose to even the most basic Empire troops if just slugging it out. It really makes me disappointed in all those victories over the Orcs when I played Empire, just looking at the stats I thought I had done well but now playing as Orcs I see it would be almost impossible to lose even without any tactics at all.

This is with the Black Orcs getting a good charge that killed 12 of the spearmen nearly instantly. The one advantage of Orcs that can be turned into an advantage is that due to the wider formation spacing a single unit takes up a greater volume than any Empire unit so you can extend your lines and flank the Empire or Chaos armies. Battles against Goblins on the other hand were exceptionally violent because Goblins due to sheer numbers also have wide lines and for every Orc in the front line there are usually 4 Goblins stabbing at him.

The price of these 1 Black Orc vs these 3 Empire units are nearly identical but as you can see for the price the Empire comes out way, way ahead. Just as a word of caution about playing Orcs in 1.44 CoW- on VH its one of the first campaigns I've felt challenged in awhile. I'm still winning most of my battles but if you look how many very close battles I've had its quite many and usually comes down to managing to kill the enemy at about the same rate as they kill my armies but flanking in the last phases of the battle and keeping my generals alive- well, in most battles at least.

In the south Grimgor and Badruk meet up to join their hordes and take out the last serious army the Border Princes have managed to raise while preparing to greet the Averlander invading legion.

Grimgor takes command personally and leads his boyz into the next battle from the front lines against the closest Averland cohort of their advancing Legion.

The battle is won but with Grimgor in charge and not the wily Badruk casualties are high as Grimgor prefers an all out slugfest and lacks the magical life sustaining elixir that Badruk cunningly keeps carefully hidden.

Last edited by Ichon; February 03, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

I can agree with the difficulty of Orcs, in my campaign I use no artillery but have an army of 2-3 black orc (mixture), a regular orc big un for each flank and the rest is orc boyz with maybe a couple of boar boyz but preferably big uns. Each of these stacks is supported by a half stack of savage orcs of various comps led by an expendable black orc bodyguard that I let the ai control in the battles.

That way I was able to position most of my fights not including scripted invasions (example, I got my ar se kicked by Krom because he warped behind my 5 stack defense and straight on to the city haha, my bad) so that the ai would distract from directly behind or as near to, and I could pick the enemy apart.

I did however have absolutely no trouble against Border Princes or Night Goblins, maybe I was lucky with the quality of their army comp as there weren't many squig herds, just loads of generals on squigs and easy-to-rout gobbo hordes. I never got to face Vampire Counts as for once they must've been wiped out by the Empire AI. I imagine those battles would be crazy unless you used a lot of cavalry to annihilate the skeleton masses.

Anyways, I always look forward to reading your AARs

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero View Post
    I did however have absolutely no trouble against Border Princes or Night Goblins, maybe I was lucky with the quality of their army comp as there weren't many squig herds, just loads of generals on squigs and easy-to-rout gobbo hordes. I never got to face Vampire Counts as for once they must've been wiped out by the Empire AI. I imagine those battles would be crazy unless you used a lot of cavalry to annihilate the skeleton masses.
    Border Princes were never an issue and Night Goblins are only a problem in sieges though I did have one large battle where they outnumbered me 2 vs 1 and massed their archers actually inflict large damage.

Even with Empire the only time I was really surprised was when halberdiers charged right through the center of my Black Orcs chopping through with no problems. It is bad enough when they are in a line but when the AI orders them to move there is not anything Orcs have that can stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero View Post
    Anyways, I always look forward to reading your AARs
    Thanks! The next few updates will be quick then a long pause since I haven't played past turn 61 and probably won't have time while I work on my submod.

Fantastic AAR, keep it up, I can't wait to read more

The Crusaders keep coming... the number of battles is delaying Grimgor's plans forcing him to gather more and more Orcs.

Hochland has made the rough journey through the mountains evading Orc armies laying in wait and advanced to lay siege to Warboss Camp- however a large horde awaits behind the walls and surges out to attack the persistent men of the Empire.

The Orcish artillery is surprisingly effective and the Hochlander army retreats before the Orcs are even able to draw blood.

Slookilla moves to block a Crusader army from Talabecland from following the path the Hochlander army used to stay hidden in the mountains.

Slookilla takes the high ground and forces Talabecland to attack uphill.

The battle is long but the conclusion is a given due to Slookilla's position.

In the north a small army from Ostland is told to mind its own business...

Not impressed, the Ostlander's decide to press on anyway.

Orc artillery crews are not well known for precision and in many battles quite heavy losses amongst the Orcs own armies are incurred from the goblin crews... a few Orcs sometimes wonder if the goblins are really that careless or if those giggles and snorts after an errant shot aren't really the equivalent of goblin screams of terror as the crew chiefs always claim.

Either way the battle is won and Ostland will mind matters closer to home for awhile.

Grimgor advances onto the Border Principalities- yet again will Zenres feel the terror of an Orc attack.

The siege assault is hard fought but the garrison of Zenres is simply overwhelmed.

Chaos emissaries into the barren lands warn Grimgor that Vardek Crom is coming and that the Orc should not dare to oppose his mighty army. Badruk manages to contain these warnings and keep them from reaching Grimgor's ears... for Grimgor would immediately order all his hordes to turn and march to meet Crom, leaving the northern Border Principalities out of the Savage Orcs hands.

Badruk seeks out another Crusader army so he is able to lay the fault of the Chaos emissaries challenge failing to reach Grimgor on someone else.

The Hochland Crusader army moves toward Warboss Camp yet again...

This time there is no turning away...

Grimgor waits to hear word of more Crusader armies but after a few months pass Grimgor decides men have given up on the battle for now. In the Empire the complete disappearance of numerous large and powerful armies in the barren lands is cause for fear to those who are paying attention.

Meanwhile some unknown plague is striking down Orcs who are normally immune to plague. Grimgor suspects the hand of Nurgle or the Skaven Council of 13 attempting to weaken the Orcs but there is no Orc supply clerk to trace the plagues back to a species of mushrooms that has proven wildly popular for the brew of many Orc clans marching under Grimgor's banner.

Grimgor attacks an Averland army that has crossed into the Border Principalities...

Slookilla has been drawn west after reports from Nachtdorf of strange beings hunting Orcs in the forests. Sylvanian Vampires have been pushed out of Drakenhof by an earlier Crusade and now gather near Waldenhof.

Slookilla decides to test the might of these undead tyrants...

The Vampires well deserve their reputation and prove very hard to take down.

Goblins on wolves have no chance of outrunning Vampires and in fact the Vampires will only fight when and where they want... Slookilla has nothing in his horde that can match them in single combat. Slookilla himself looses half his Black Orc bodyguard learning that lesson.

Fortunately for the world, the Vampires have limited troops of a quality even half as lethal as themselves and slowly in a brutal fight the undead army is torn apart corpse by corpse.

Rotatoota dies the final battle with the Vampire Lord commanding the Sylvanian army but manages to cleave off the Vampire's leg as he falls allowing nearby Black Orcs to finally catch the stunningly fast creature and rip it to shreds.

Last edited by Ichon; February 29, 2012 at 02:43 AM.

Artifex

Orc artillery crews are not well known for precision and in many battles quite heavy losses amongst the Orcs own armies are incurred from the goblin crews... a few Orcs sometimes wonder if the goblins are really that careless or if those giggles and snorts after an errant shot aren't really the equivalent of goblin screams of terror as the crew chiefs always claim.
    Hahahaha! A splendid summary of the goblin personality!

Da tale is really entertainin, plz keep up da campain long enough to whack the ominous Crom.

I tried out CoW (1.4) but the campaign kept crashing . It seems quite funny, though.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Slookilla has paused to wait for reinforcements before advancing further into Sylvania- on the way to meet Slookilla's horde a small horde of Savage Orc archers are ambushed by citizens of the Empire.

The first group of attackers are dispersed but before the Savage Orcs can move on a much larger army of independent soldiers of the former Ostland who have banded together in the face of Orc and Vampire attacks engage the Orcs.

Before Slookilla can turn to meet the independent army behind him, Dwarves from Drakenhof move to attack Slookilla.

Grimgor leads a siege assault on Brovska from the front.

Badruk attempts to engage a smaller force of Border Principalities soldiers but they retreat to the walls of Akendorf. The garrison of Akendorf sallies out to prevent a massacre of their fellows.

The Border Principalities have gathered significant amounts of heavy cavalry and the battle is bloodier than normal.

Vardak Crom finally arrives at Karaz a-Karak...

While many Vampires have been chased out of Sylvania they are regathering their strength in Blood Keep and have already captured the great city of Nuln.

The forces of Khorne which accompanied Vardek Crom split up to seek battle where they may and bring more glorious bloodshed for Khorne.

Slookilla advances to Drakenhof and easily captures the mighty fortress.

Last edited by Ichon; March 01, 2012 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Hahahaha! A splendid summary of the goblin personality!

Da tale is really entertainin, plz keep up da campain long enough to whack the ominous Crom.

I tried out CoW (1.4) but the campaign kept crashing . It seems quite funny, though.
    Yes, Crom is always fun. This campaign makes me impatient to play with the Skaven in the next CoW, could really do an entertaining AAR with them I think.

Awesome +Rep

Badruk stands over on a ridge overlooing the Borderlands city of Vidovdan... the city walls are surrounded by fields and then forests below the ridge where Badruk stands and unbroken as far as the eye can see stretching to the south and west. Pennants fly from the city towers and it would be an idyllic scene were it not for the steady growls and racket that a horde of Savage Orcs make as they trump toward the walls of yet another city...

Badruk raises his arms and howls- "Waaagh!" The horde surges forward to capture this last bastion of the nearby Border principalities that strove mightily but with futile effort to resist this latest expansion of the Orcs.

Leagues away from the sack of Vidovdan, Grimgor surveys the army of Chaos that has drawn up at the crest of a hill to await the Orc attack- without pausing for much thought Grimgor howls, "At em boyz!"

The first shot from the Rock Lobbas score a direct hit on the Chaos Dwarf Hellcannons accompanying the Chaos army.

Orc boar boyz find themselves completely outmatched by the Chaos cavalry and despite a flank attack are sent running for their lives...

The Chaos cavalry dies at the hands of a group of Black Orcs caught up in a frenzy of bloodlust as Grimgor calls upon the powers of the Waaagh!

Chaos tribes of Marauders die even more quickly...

The remaining elements of the Chaos army retreat in good order as the Orcs rampage around the field thumping their chests and howling in triumph. When there is a Waaagh going, even Chaos becomes cautious.

The retreating army sends word of the defeat and soon reinforcements arrive to try and catch the Orcs spent after celebrating their victory.

Grimgor is not a normal Orc chieftain however and did not order the goblins to carry the normal allotment of brew, Grimgor feels a faint hankering for the brew he tasted in Gunbad but his thirst for bloody combat eclipses all else and he eagerly awaits the next Chaos army being quite disappointed in the first battle, why even stumpies usually put up more of a fight than that.

The battle is even shorter than the first as the Chaos commander is overconfident and attacks across a bridge...

Grimgor is enraged that a battle could make him so bored, as he stomps across the bridge he pauses to examine some of the mutated Chaos warriors, some nearly have the look of full demons but how easily they were defeated gives the lie to that. Grimgor shakes his fists and bellows, "Crom! I am coming for you!"

Last edited by Ichon; March 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Well- I am going to finish this AAR soon with a final battle between Grimgor and Crom, then I'll wrap up the Nordland and Hochland AARs with final battles as well. I've tried Rage of the Dark Gods or CoW 1.5 however you want to call it and its better I think. So unfortunately its hard to make myself continue any 1.4 campaigns.

I am curious what people would like to see for a 1.5 AAR?

Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Kislev, Undead? Those are really the only factions I haven't tried yet...

Probably sometime tonight this AAR will be complete though I might not upload until tomorrow. Fighting against Trolls with Vampires and more magic users in 1.5 is too hard to resist. I don't think I'll be doing any Empire AARs until Reiksfart's submod comes out as Empire is simply too easy. But I'm open to any other factions even if not one I named. I am considering Night Goblins though if they can never get Trolls, Ogres or anything besides Hobgoblins I'm not sure I want to try them as they are missing half their armies. If Spiders or Wolves get into the next version that is when I'd love to play Night Goblins.

Artifex

I really like the Dark Elves (to a great extent because it was the first faction I tried) but their armies work rather like the imperial ones but with less numbers and more quality. Sylvania is great fun and has some quite unique features but I would vote for Goblins. They are just too cool and funny little rascals...

If you make a Sylvanian AAR you have to fight the Khorne followers and have an episode where your generals enchant the skulls from the Screaming Skull Catapult to scream "No skulls for the skull throne!" or something like that to annoy them.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I am curious what people would like to see for a 1.5 AAR?

Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Kislev, Undead? Those are really the only factions I haven't tried yet...
    Wait, is there a submod for Night Goblins? Because they aren't playable in 1.5 as is.

Either a Chaos Dwarf or a Kislev campaign sounds good to me. Kislev because you'd probably see at least as many battles as your Orc ARR and I'd like to see how you deal with a more cavalry based army. Chaos Dwarfs because a good half of their army is Orcs and Goblins units, so the difficulty you liked so much will still be there, and the non-greenskins are just visually interesting.

Dwarfs or Vampire Counts for sure!

You can make Night Goblins playable easily. The question is how many CTD might occur. I'm leaning toward Vampire Counts since they have a more unique play style. I think Kislev will be a bit easy as cavalry are overpowered. In my Hochland and Nordland AARs the Empire cavalry armies proved devastating. I think the Bear cavalry would be even easier to use. Chaos Dwarves could be interesting but also perhaps similar to Orcs as you said the current EDU is Orc heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    You can make Night Goblins playable easily. The question is how many CTD might occur. I'm leaning toward Vampire Counts since they have a more unique play style. I think Kislev will be a bit easy as cavalry are overpowered. In my Hochland and Nordland AARs the Empire cavalry armies proved devastating. I think the Bear cavalry would be even easier to use. Chaos Dwarves could be interesting but also perhaps similar to Orcs as you said the current EDU is Orc heavy.
    Cavalry are that overpowered? Pity.

I mainly suggested Chaos Dwarfs because I'd like to see a Dwarf campaign, but the constant defensive sieges might result in an uninteresting ARR. Chaos Dwarfs are much more offense oriented than their western cousins.

Artifex

I'm currently playing a Sylvania campaign. They can certainly be said to be a cavalry faction just as much as the empire or Kislev, with the effective and available black knights. When aided by 5 or so catapults four black knights are enough to thrash about 9 out of 10 empire armies with only around a dozen fallen and less than 300 "dead" for the army as a whole. If the empire is easy, well, Sylvania will be slothful unless 1.5 have changed things a lot. But I suppose one could deliberatly focus on the infantry which is very cool but a little fragile.

I would vote for the chaos dwarves and artillery-based armies if that is possible, since the goblins may be bugged. Perhaps you can make a point not to lean too much on the orc units?
    Last edited by Maltacus; April 20, 2012 at 01:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12