Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sekigahara Campaign - Historical Research Center

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default The Sekigahara Campaign - Historical Research Center

"The Sekigahara Campaign" is a total conversion mod that seeks to represent the late Azuchi-Momoyama and, to a small extent, the early Edo periods.

Here in the Sekigahara Historical Research Center, you are welcome to put forth any fact or reference that you feel fits into the the timeline of our campaign (1591-1700, essentially).

---

Yoshisuke's Extensive Collection of Armour Sets and Kabuto's, Naoe's Letter by kujirakira
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshisuke View Post
    This kabuto from the Stibbert museum in Firenze is in the shape of a upside-down gosu (lacquer bowl).
    So why not a tea cup ?

Attachment 205867
    It's been a while since I posted some pics..

First, what is supposed to be the last armor made for a Date Daimyo.
    Attachment 205435

An armor covered with same (shark skin used for the tsuka on a katana)
    Attachment 205439

Don't know anything about this one but it's beautiful.
    Attachment 205440

A kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 205441

The stealthiest kabuto ever made.
    Attachment 205438

A kawari kabuto bearing the Ikeda mon.
    Attachment 205437

And a good view of Honda Tadamasa's kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 205436
    Another batch.

Another maedate that can be found un the game.
    Attachment 205654

Another animal-shaped kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 205652

An interesting armor.
    Attachment 205651

And a wonderful 120 suji kabuto by Neo Masanobu for the Uesugi clan.
    Attachment 205653
    Did some researchs for a general hero unit for the Toyotomi since the Tokugawa will have Honda Tadamasa, Sakakibara Yasumasa and Itakura Katsushige.
    The only Toyotomi general who didn't become an independant daimyo and had a unique armor is Katagiri Katsumoto, one of "the seven spears of Shizugatake.
    He was known fo his bear-fur covered armor.

Attachment 203837

The best way to depict him would be to use Tokugawa Ieyasu armor set (without the horns)
    Attachment 203839

And give Ieyasu this set (because it's the armor he used at Sekigahara.)
    Attachment 203840

And without the Horns used, we could give it to Fukushima Masanori !
    The more I see this armor, the more I want Date Masamune to wear it in the game.
    Attachment 203433

Since you want to make a modular mod, do you think we could have an alternative daimyo pack after the release of the mod ?
    A wave of pics from my personal book collection.

First a better picture of the chinese style helmet.
    Attachment 203765

A nanban kabuto from the yamanouchi clan.
    Attachment 203769

A bunny ears kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 203764

Axe-shaped kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 203763

Wave-shaped kawari kabuto
    Attachment 203768

Another kawari kabuto.
    Attachment 203767

And a beautiful 32 ken suji-bashi kabuto from the Ikeda family.
    Attachment 203766

The pics are taken from toriilinks editions books. (it's french but most of the texts are translated in english)
    http://www.toriilinks-editions.com/en/index.php
    Completly forgot I had these.
    Ikeda kabuto (no idea of the specific owner) interesting because it gives a good idea of what a katana can do in battle.

Attachment 203779

Attachment 203780

Attachment 203781

Attachment 203782

Attachment 203783
    Found few interesting pics.

Ii Naomasa's real armor as displayed at the Hikone castle museum
    Attachment 202993

A good quality copy of Ishida Mitsunari's armor
    Attachment 202994

And an eccentric helmet for The_Nord
    Attachment 202995
    What about a whole bunny kabuto ?
    Attachment 203179

Maybe a crocodile ?
    Attachment 203180

Or an octopus ?
    Attachment 203181

and there you have a book with a chinese style helmet which was in the private collection of Konishi Yukinaga.

http://www.toriilinks-editions.com/fr/f_cat_samurai.php
    Thank you for the rep. I forgot to precise that the helmet with flames on the sides (the 6th pictures) was one of Akechi Mitsuhide's.

and Honda Tadamasa's armor.
    Attachment 201664
    Thank you for that information !

Here's the last batch of pics for a while.

First, a better picture of Kuroda Nagamasa's famous ich-no-tani armor.
    Attachment 201680

This one is interesting for it's original nio-do style.
    Attachment 201681

And last but not least (slightly off-topic but worth it) Takeda Shingen's legendary armor.
    Attachment 201682
    Quote Originally Posted by kujirakira View Post
    I remembered by chance that NHK's Taiga on Naoe Kanetsugu from a few years ago read the letter in it's entirety. As the drama is subtitled by NHK into English every year, it was a matter of figuring out which episode it was.
    The reading of the letter takes up most of Episode 37.

Otherwise I've transcribed it already from their subtitles. According to the drama, the letter wasn't just sent to Ieyasu but to the 5 Ministers (Mori, Ukita, Tokugawa, Maeda, & Uesugi themselves) and the 5 Counselors (includes Ishida, Fukushima, Naoe himself, don't remember the others off the top of my head) that were supposed to be keeping things on an even keel while Hideyoshi's son was still young.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Naoe-jo

For one, regarding the various explanations ...
    I hear you have your suspicions on the various rumors about Aizu.
    As much as I can't blame you for it, I'm sure you will hear of the truth eventually. It is truly regrettable that you should feel that my lord, Kagekatsu, has not spent enough days in Kyoto. The Uesugi had just transferred fiefs two years ago. If we keep going to Kyoto, we'll not be able to administer government in our province. To accuse Kagekatsu of treason based on that is extremely wrong. I would like to see the face of the shallow-minded fellow who spread such rumors.
    You demand a written pledge to prove no treacherous intent, but what does the written pledge we have submitted already signify? Kagekatsu is known throughout the lands to be an upright man. He has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I am surprised that someone as great as yourself, Ieyasu, would charge us for treason without verifying the truth. Was I completely wrong to have respected you as a fair man?
    The manner in which you handled the Maeda family in Kaga truly shows your authority, is all I can say. How can a fine man like you be made a fool of by someone like Hori Hideharu? It is truly pitiable.
    You condemn us for purchasing weapons, but this is the practice of country samurai. It's better than the Kamigata samurai obsessed with silly teacups. That shouldn't arouse any concerns.
    The Uesugi clan shares borders with the Hori in Echigo, Date, Mogami, and various other daimyo clans.
    However, only Lord Hori of Kasugayama Castle is ranting treason for paving a road to another province. Apparently he must be a fool. If Kagekatsu harbored any treacherous intent, he would've closed the borders and surrounded the castle by a moat. Why would he pave a road to allow the enemy to attack? Only a complete idiot would do that. It is clear in everyone's eyes as to who is right on this.
    It appears that it is the fad these days for men who have treacherous intent to submit, if they see no chance of victory. However, it is an insult to Kagekatsu to be put in the same level as those disgraceful men. It will make us lose our samurai honor from Lord Kenshin's days.
    If you are going to believe the liar and not conduct a proper investigation, then the Uesugi will not go to Kyoto. Is there really fault in Kagekatsu? Or are you, Ieyasu, a double-dealer?
    The decision rests on Heaven.
    I repeat. If you are going to believe the liar's words at face value and suspect Kagekatsu then there is nothing more we can do.
    I can only be disappointed that you, Ieyasu, turned out to be someone that is unrighteous and unreasonable.

April 14th, Naoe Yamashiro-no-kami Kanetsugu.
    Three new pics today.

Toyotomi Hideyori
    Attachment 201437

A Sanada family armor
    Attachment 201435

And a drawing of one of Sanada Yukimura armor (done by the japanese historian Mitsuo Kure)
    Attachment 201436

Edit :

Two pics of an armor worn by another member of the Sanada family (17th-18th century) (hq)
    Attachment 201464
    Attachment 201465

And what is supposed to be Maeda Keiji armor
    Attachment 201466
    Hideyori was 22 in 1615 so the armor would fit whitout problem. And the richests families often had armors made for the sons coming of age ceremony and even earlier. There's examples of armors made for 12 years old boys. And 15 was the age at wich a 'man' was authorized to go to war. (Famous examples are Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune. Others had even worse karma like Uesugi Kenshin (Nagao Kagetora at this time) who not only fought at 15 but against his own brother who died in the battle)
    As for where I found the pics well.. Mostly from books (which are far more reliable than internet) and internet. But caution is required there because there' a lot of badly copied armors.
    I've found the last Sanada armor I've posted on a book and found pics on internet (but nothing pointed out that it was a Sanada armor on internet so if you search Sanada armor on google it won't show up) This particular armor used to be in a french collection (met the owner)

I don't want to be rude but did you find Masayuki's bio on wikipedia ?
    And I absolutly don't believe in ninjas hired to kill daimyo and generals. Uesugi Kenshin killed by an Oda ninja ? Sounds ridiculous to me. Ninja, during sengoku jidai, were scouts for armies, spies and saboteurs, sometimes, but stealth killers sneaking into a castle to surgically kill ? highly unlickly.

Edit : If you want proofs of how internet is poorly reliable. Someone in another total war forum said this armor was one of Hideyoshi's.
    Attachment 201511
    But Erwin Rommel said in another thread here that it's Date Masamune's. (and I'd be interested to read what he think's of it, even if I'd rather trust him on this)

And this one is labeled as Sakai but the ladder is one of the Sanada family symbol.
    Attachment 201512
    It might even mean it belongs to a member of one of the families who was adopted or was married to a daughter of the other. (and I honestly don't have any clue)
    Awesomeness it is !

Another wave of pics.

A good portrait of Hideyoshi (in HQ)
    Attachment 200947

An armor worn by a Nabeshima Daimyo (found this in a not very reliable source so, not a 100% sure but it's an interesting style.
    Attachment 200948

Armor worn by Hosokawa Tadaoki in the pure Etchu style
    Attachment 200949

Hidetada Tokugawa (from the same not reliable source)
    Attachment 200950

I guess everybody know that one.
    Attachment 200951

This one is from the Hachisuka family
    Attachment 200953

The armor of Hachisuka Awaji no kami Munekazu. Not really from the Sekigahara period but it's one of the beautifulest armor I've ever seen (the pic is in HQ it will probably look better if you save it and open it with windows viewer or whatever.)
    Attachment 200954

Another really beautiful armor (don't know the owner) the details quality is wonderful. And the color scheme is interesting.
    Attachment 200952

And I have a pic of a Sanada Daimyo armor coming. Don't know when though.
    Last edited by Akaie; June 07, 2012 at 05:41 AM.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: The Sekigahara Campaign - Historical Research

Let's start this with a question regarding the history of what transpired during the sekigahara campaign. When it began, how widespread was warfare across Japan, was it mostly in the central areas, the east and the north? Or was western Japan also seeing combat? What little I know of the actual campaign, it appears to mostly be a number of sieges leading up to the battle at Sekigahara. Can anyone provide some more information on what transpired during the campaign across Japan?

As far as I remember right now, small sieges and skirmishes as the two armies were moving to meet each others. Some battles in kyushu and between the Date and the Uesugi. And, of course the battle of Ueda.
    In the end I'm not sure we can call that a total war.

A bit condensed, but each point can be google'd for more depth:
    -Ieyasu travels along the tokaido to Edo (imagine Shogun 2 map: he goes Settsu, Omi, northern Ise, Owari, Mikawa, etc)
    -Kagekatsu: "Pfft. We got this. We'll squish Ieyasu before Mogami/Date/Nanbu/Tokugawa squishes us."
    -Ieyasu sends a few waves back the way they came who deal with a few forts in Owari, Mikawa and Mino
    -Kagekatsu and Kanetsugu loose their smugness when they finally realise Ieyasu, and thus Mitsunari, is not coming; Masamune is giving them a stern talking to here
    -Ieyasu follows his guys back the way he came and up into Mino
    -Hidetada and the Sanada get into it and Hidetada doesn't make it to the climatic battle
    -Western forces secure places to the west/south-west of Mino like Tanabe and Fushimi castles
    -Then you have the battle

Most certainly not total war, as the only decent action in the three-month campaign was between Southern Mino and Fukushima/Aizu and was really only about a dozen or so sieges as well as the battle of sekigahara itself.
    Last edited by Akaie; January 23, 2012 at 08:31 AM.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Hence the title "Campaign" in the end, otherwise we could have named it,

SEKIGAHARA TOTAL WAR
    THE LAST PARTY

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Hence the title "Campaign" in the end, otherwise we could have named it,

SEKIGAHARA TOTAL WAR
    THE LAST PARTY

We need one of these to do that..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Seriously though, Anton is pretty much on it. Turnbull's book on the matter is pretty good.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; January 23, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

In fact, It precisely Kagekatsu who unleashed the war. Because almost every daimyo were at Kyoto. Kagekatsu realised the war was inevitable so he went back to his lands prepare his army but he never said for wich side. But his position was a serious threat to Ieyasu who feared to be attacked on both sides. At this time Ieyasu was the leader of the Toyotomi army and most of powerfulest clans (Kato, Hosokawa & Fukushima) were still loyal to the Toyotomi but pissed at Mitsunari (for his role during the Korean campaign and because he was a polititian, not a warrior).
    So Ieyasu asked all the daimyo to join against Kagkatsu, his intention at this point was to force every Daimyo to take position for or against him. When he realised he was supported by quite a large number of them, he had a chance to enter in a full open war against Mitsunari (but more or less still in the name of Toyotomi).
    So in the end Kagekatsu did not declare war, Ieyasu called him enemy of the state.

Since we have Kagekatsu as the point of discussion, does anyone have a solid english version of the letter Kanetsugu wrote with offense intended against Ieyasu? All I've seen is very general references to it and small extracts, but never the whole thing.

For example, this snippet is commonplace: "while citified samurai busily collect tea implements, country samurai gather arms for war."

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Default Re: The 11th Clan

I already talked with Anton of the Idea of including new clans in the campaign, Nabeshima, Hachisuka and Sakakibara.
    What about them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton III View Post
    Since we have Kagekatsu as the point of discussion, does anyone have a solid english version of the letter Kanetsugu wrote with offense intended against Ieyasu? All I've seen is very general references to it and small extracts, but never the whole thing.

For example, this snippet is commonplace: "while citified samurai busily collect tea implements, country samurai gather arms for war."
    Very good question, never found one, it would really be interesting. Is there someone here at twcenter who speaks and reads japanese ?

(and sorry if my previous post isn't clear, I'm tired)

All three of those involve breaking up the starting province patterns from vanilla. If that were possible I'd ask for Miyagi-no-Maeda to be broken up into different clans and Miyagi given to Date to be honest.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

I already talked with Anton of the Idea of including new clans in the campaign, Nabeshima, Hachisuka and Sakakibara.
    What about them ?
    Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    All three of those involve breaking up the starting province patterns from vanilla. If that were possible I'd ask for Miyagi-no-Maeda to be broken up into different clans and Miyagi given to Date to be honest.
    Stuck these in here. More relevant, especially for extended discussion.

As for those three clans, it would really be a matter of swapping out names, banners, etc, which I'd rather put off until I at least get a beta out. This is because I've already planned out what I want to do between now and the next release.

But, for any clan I didn't include, it is a goal of mine to have them represented. Perhaps not in the way we'd all like, but it's something, right?

Sadly, no breaking up of current clan holdings or injecting new clans. It is clan swapping galore.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Stuck these in here. More relevant, especially for extended discussion.

As for those three clans, it would really be a matter of swapping out names, banners, etc, which I'd rather put off until I at least get a beta out. This is because I've already planned out what I want to do between now and the next release.

But, for any clan I didn't include, it is a goal of mine to have them represented. Perhaps not in the way we'd all like, but it's something, right?

Sadly, no breaking up of current clan holdings or injecting new clans. It is clan swapping galore.
    Alright, sorry I posted the question again in the other thread, I thought I didn't post it, should have checked here before, my bad.
    And I understand your point of finishing the beta before, it's logical.

Default Re: The Sekigahara Campaign - Historical Research Center

NP. You were swept away in Sekigahara awesomeness, after all .

Patron of Erwin Rommel

NP. You were swept away in Sekigahara awesomeness, after all .
    Awesomeness it is !

Another wave of pics.

A good portrait of Hideyoshi (in HQ)
    Attachment 200947

An armor worn by a Nabeshima Daimyo (found this in a not very reliable source so, not a 100% sure but it's an interesting style.
    Attachment 200948

Armor worn by Hosokawa Tadaoki in the pure Etchu style
    Attachment 200949

Hidetada Tokugawa (from the same not reliable source)
    Attachment 200950

I guess everybody know that one.
    Attachment 200951

This one is from the Hachisuka family
    Attachment 200953

The armor of Hachisuka Awaji no kami Munekazu. Not really from the Sekigahara period but it's one of the beautifulest armor I've ever seen (the pic is in HQ it will probably look better if you save it and open it with windows viewer or whatever.)
    Attachment 200954

Another really beautiful armor (don't know the owner) the details quality is wonderful. And the color scheme is interesting.
    Attachment 200952

And I have a pic of a Sanada Daimyo armor coming. Don't know when though.
    Last edited by yoshisuke; January 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Holy crap. Munekazu has one hell of an armour!

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

SEE! I told you Suda Chikimitsu with his swastika kamon would be perfect!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

I wonder if Kuroda actually wore that helmet when/if he fought, it seems rather... difficult.

Perhaps it was a pact of every prominent samurai; 'we ALL wear encumbering helmets!'

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Believe it or not, the impressive decorations of those kawari kabuto are often made of laquered paper called harikake. So in the end it wasn't really heavier than a traditional suji kabuto. (Although Nagamasa's kabuto seems to be made of iron, it's hard to see from pictures).
    Anyway, kawari kabuto were not meant to be used by lower ranking samurai, they were really expensive and reserved to the daimyo and the greatest generals. Those helmets appeared after the introduction of the matchlock in Japan. It became too dangerous for generals and daimyos to charge into battle so they remained in the back, giving orders. But they wanted to be seen and recognised from accross the battlefield as a rally point so they developped this impressive style.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast