Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't just boycott the pre-release....

Default Don't just boycott the pre-release....

If these overly obscured DLC are to cease then not only should we boycott the butchery that is the Pre-release but also the DLCs that shortly follow of the Clan packs. Only way to show both CA and Sega that we won't stand for this is if nobody buys it.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind some of your posts either "I will pre-order but I probably won't even play the faction" Then why pre-order?

Default Re: Don't just boycott the pre-release....

Quote Originally Posted by Servius Valerius Corvus View Post
    Only way to show both CA and Sega that we won't stand for this is if nobody buys it.
    Trouble is that CA is about the only major developer in the world that actually makes really good, in depth games with high production values. I really love CA and the work that they do, so I fully intend to support them by buying the game (on release, not preorder).

If FoTS Samurai is a total disaster and nobody buys it the knock on effect will not be a review of pre-order DLC and distribution. It will be Sega retasking all the CA devs to make weak cross platform shooters that will sell well because they are based on an existing IP/frachise - see Syndicate reboot.

Do we want that? No?

We want Rome2 - so we want to support CA. But give them a nudge every now and then when Sega puts on it's money-money-money hat.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As for the topic of the thread, the only time I ever bought DLC for Total War was during the Christmas sale when things were worth literally cents. It wasn't even my money that I was buying it with, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it. In all honesty the DLC that I did buy has added little, which is why I'm glad I got them 75% off rather than full price which is asking far too much.

After crap like the selling of blood as DLC as well as this recent "choose a pre-order faction for our expansion" fiasco, I don't plan on supporting any of it. The funny thing is I've seen people who previously loved Total War and would defend the company's actions to the last actually turn around and call on the pre-order business. That alone tells me that this isn't just a minority issue, that even people who love the game and way things are going are miffed about this.

There will always be people who for some reason are ok with the change of policy, where once we had full, in-depth and fleshed out games with expansions that were just as equally fleshed out and worth the time, and now we have been essentially nickle-and-dimed at every corner with DLC. I wish I could track down the person who suggested DLC to CA and knock him one, because I believe DLC has without a doubt been a huge factor in the lessening of the series. For those people who are ok with sitting down and taking it, good for you. You either have a much higher tolerance or more simple taste (which I do not mean in an insulting way) that allows you to be ok with it. Me on the other hand, tasted something much more rich in the past, saw the potential for it to be improved even more, and then saw it ripped to shreds and replaced with a literal pile of crap.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; January 19, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: off topic

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Weary One View Post
    Me on the other hand, tasted something much more rich in the past, saw the potential for it to be improved even more, and then saw it ripped to shreds and replaced with a literal pile of crap.
    Never played the original vanilla TW games I take it? Doesn't look like it from that post.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
    Never played the original vanilla TW games I take it? Doesn't look like it from that post.
    I did, and I had a hell of a time with Shogun I. Med I was good as well, Rome was amazing, Med II was in my opinion the cream of the crop. Notice that even though they all have their problems to themselves, there is ever still an eventual increase in quality. Not only that, but notice the lack of any DLC, whatsoever.

It wasn't until Empire that I got miffed, paying $60 for something that at release was crap, and even with all the patches still has problems both technical and gameplay-wise. Napoleon, it's expansion, is boring and dull despite the increase in graphics quality. They all look nice, but there are problems. Shogun II, while good in itself, should not have DLC of any kind. Not with the complete lack of variety as is.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

SgtScooter's Avatar Civis

I'm preordering just because I want to play the game asap. I did the same with the original shogun, and I've never played the Hattori very much. I just didn't particularly care for their clan and starting location. I am interested in the Saga, though.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Talking about DLC clans, why haven't they made all clans from Shogun 2 and ROTS playable yet?

They've never made all clans playable in their previous games. Er, I should say that there have been unplayable factions that were never unlocked since Rome.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    They've never made all clans playable in their previous games.
    In Rome, Med2 for example when you conquered a country they became playable.

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    In Rome, Med2 for example when you conquered a country they became playable.
    For many of them, yes. However, there were always unplayable factions. The Numidians in Rome, for example. The unplayable factions are the minor ones that didn't have as large an impact on history as the playable, or unlockable, factions did.

In S2, they just allowed you to play all the clans from the beginning with no unlocking required. (excluding DLC)

Since ETW, these were the only DLC's I bought:
    - Peninsular campaign
    - Rise of Samurai
    - Blood pack (I bought it because of the Steam sale. It cost me only few cents).

I will never buy unit or faction packs because I feel that I'm buying something that should be included in the original game.
    Last edited by Boicote; January 19, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

For many of them, yes. However, there were always unplayable factions. The Numidians in Rome, for example. The unplayable factions are the minor ones that didn't have as large an impact on history as the playable, or unlockable, factions did.
    It was extremely easy to unlock the said 'locked' factions in the main campaign.

Now mere mention of unlocking 'locked' faction attracts/deserves moderator action.

In S2, they just allowed you to play all the clans from the beginning with no unlocking required. (excluding DLC)
    All major playable clans. Granted, there are many minor clans, but unlike those paid DLC clans that I fully understand that those that did not pay should not play, they should be freely unlocked. For example, what's the crime in unlocking Otomo clans in the main campaign? Having to go through Chosokabe tutorial.... bugger.

The thread title says nothing about a commentary thread on "whiners" and neither does the forum we're in. So please - Stay On Topic.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

That was fast

Anyway, back to the topic...

If these overly obscured DLC are to cease then not only should we boycott the butchery that is the Pre-release but also the DLCs that shortly follow of the Clan packs. Only way to show both CA and Sega that we won't stand for this is if nobody buys it.
    I don't agree with boycott, I believe we should convince people to wait and by FOTS when it gets 75% sale. I believe many people agree with such concept so that might be a better move.

The problem is, we love TW games, otherwise we wouldn't chat about it here. We don't want CA to disappear, we don't like the way company is operating but still wants TW games, so what's the best compromise? Give them less money! This way, we get to play previous TW titles and mods more (and this is one of the reasons CA wants to restrict modding.... so that people will get bored more easily and will be compelled to buy the next title), while we get more DLCs at lesser price.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind some of your posts either "I will pre-order but I probably won't even play the faction" Then why pre-order?
    Because some people love TW series and would have pre-ordered regardless of pre-order DLC bonus. I used to be one of them, except for ETW/NTW and I won't pre-order FOTS and instead wait for 75% sale.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Also it should be pointed out, that when mentioning factions (playable or not) in Total War games we should consider the total amount of factions available in that game.

With RTW, there were 3 Factions playable to start (Julii, Brutii, Scipii) plus another 8 unlockable factions, so a total of 11 playbale factions with another 9 factions never intended to be playable (but could be modded to be), plus the rebel faction.

Now with Shogun 2 we have 9 playable factions plus 2 more available through DLC, so ultimately the same as RTW. But unlike RTW, we now have what 35+ other factions which are not intended to be playable (but still can be modded, albeit not as easily) with none of the map designated to generic rebels.

So really, even though we have more factions its not like CA is cutting them out from us, as the major factions are still playable, its just that Total War games are more evolved now faction wise.

Which would you rather have a map filled with numerous factions, or a map with mostly just rebel provinces? How would you like if Shogun 2 had just the 11 playable clans, plus just another 9 or 10 minor clans, with the rest of the map filler out with just rebel provinces?

Stryker's Avatar Libertus

I'm actually not buying the DLC, i'm extremely bored of Japan, unfortunately. For $30 it looks like the same game with guns, I just don't see the value in it. Shogun 2 had less play hours for me than any other Total war game before it. Sorry CA, release something good and complete and i'll happily buy it but will not be getting anything more for Shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    For $30 it looks like the same game with guns
    Sold!

Trouble is that CA is about the only major developer in the world that actually makes really good, in depth games with high production values.
    Pardon my bluntness, but that's tosh.

Go play Skyrim? [Only 5Gb too. Where do CA waste the other 20?]

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by last_name_left View Post
    Pardon my bluntness, but that's tosh.

Go play Skyrim? [Only 5Gb too. Where do CA waste the other 20?]
    Skyrim's a turn-based RTS now is it? Interesting.

If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast