Thread: Add Mods to M2TW Kingdoms Launcher guide!!

Jakeler's Avatar Civis

Icon4 Add Mods to M2TW Kingdoms Launcher guide!!

This is a tutorial on how to add to and launch mods from your Kingdoms launcher without overwriting your Americas, Britannia, Crusades or Teutonic Campaigns for Steam users! (And maybe hard copy users I'm not sure if this would benefit you xD)

Step 1: Click on your Windows Start Menu in the search bar type in "Regedit" minus the (").Hit enter to pull up your Registry Editor.

Step 2: Now click on: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > SEGA > Medieval II Total War > Mods > Unofficial

~ Wow6432 means you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows and allows to manage 32-bit applications that runs on a 64-bit version of Windows. I did this with 64-bit Vista, if you have 32-bit it could different paths just find your way to SEGA

~ Even if you have bought the game through steam it will still be under SEGA.

~ If you do not have the unofficial file right click on "Official" hover over "New" and left click on "Key" a new file will appear name this file "Unofficial".

~ If you have Stainless Steel (SS) installed you will now see its Registry file listed under Unofficial.

Step 3: Right click on "Unofficial" hover over "New" and left click on "Key" a new file will appear. Type in 0001 (or 0002 if you already have SS) at the start of the name box then add what you would like to call it for Example: 0002Third_Age if you have more mods downloaded count up. (See below)

Step 4: Now that our file is named and in the proper place left click on it. On the right side of your Registry Editor there should be 1 String Value, Name (Default), Type REG_SZ Data (Value not set), don't touch this. Right click on a blank spot in the same side of the registry editor as our Default String Value. Hover over "New" left click on "String Value" Name this String Value "Author". Now repeat this process 7 more times but with the names shown below.

String Value names in order 8 in total (See below)

~ Author
    ~ ConfigFile
    ~ DisplayName
    ~ FullName
    ~ GameExe
    ~ Language
    ~ Path
    ~ Version

Step 5: Now double left click on your String Values to input Data. Do one at a time.

Data for each String value

~ Author: Pretty straight forward, put in the name of the author. For example for TATW you would put in "TATW 3.1 TEAM" or "KingKong"

~ ConfigFile: Find the CFG file that has come with your mod and put the name of the file in this data field. For example with Third Age Total War its cfg file is in - medieval ii total war\mods\Third_Age_3 - named TATW.cfg so I put "TATW.cfg"

~ DisplayName: It’s simply what you want your mod to show up as in your Kingdoms Launcher so if you want to call it "Third Age" type that in, if you want to call it "Bananalandsplitfuntime" go for it.

~ FullName: Full name of the mod your using.

~ GameExe: type "Kingdoms.exe" in this data field

~ Language: whatever language the mod is in, English, Russian, ect.

~ Path: type "mods\what_evername_ofmod_folder" so whatever the mod folder is named you type that for example for TATW I put "mods\Third_Age_3" and for TATW with Barons submods I put "mods\Third_Age_3_Baron" (name I gave Barons folder)

~ Version: You can put N/A if you would like. Or you can actually put in the version so for TATW I put "3.1"

Now all our String Values data fields are filled out!

Step 6: Close out of your Registry Editor. Take a look at your finished product! All your mods will now launch from your Kingdoms Launcher!

You can repeat this process with any M2TW Kingdoms Mod.

I made this despite finding a post (which I put a link to below) on how to do something like this to play Eras by toune... I just found it somewhat confusing and hard to follow so I made what I felt to be a clearer step by step guide.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...80#post8717780

Hope this helps some people out with the same issues I had.

Jakeler's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Add Mods to M2TW Kingdoms Launcher guide!!

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area, I looked around and couldn’t really decide where to place it.

Fozzie's Avatar Tiro

Sorry to rez a completely dead thread, but I found this really helpful. Anyone using Steam should consider this. It resolved a couple start-up errors I was receiving using MOS because I had to rename my Americas file directory before.

THANKS!
    ~Fozzie~

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

I know this is a year late, but... THANK YOU! It's a much better method than simply renaming the campaigns. This thread definitely deserves a spot in the Guides compilation.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2824 or you can use this, which takes about 20 or 30 seconds, but it is great that you found another way as well!

Tutorial by Gig:

All credit (and rep) goes to:

- musicdemon for first publishing this in the Third Age forum
    - Squid for making the Kingdoms Launcher App

Step by step instruction

1. Run your game at least once before installing any mods (thanks bohema)
    2. Make sure you run this program as administrator
    3. Install your brand new mod, but make sure to change your install directory as follows:

32-bit Windows Users:
    From - C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
    To - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war
    64-bit Windows Users:
    From - C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
    To - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war
    • Repeat step two for any other parts\patches of this mod
    • Download the Kingdoms Launcher App designed by Squid. This tool modifies the necessary registry entries to enable a mod start via Steam's Medieval II\Kingdoms Launcher.
    • Run the Kingdoms Launcher App

Step 1:

• Click "File\New mod"

Step 2:

Step 3:

• Browse to your mod's base folder and click\highlight it
    • Click 'OK'

Step 4:

• Your Config file details and Path to the mod will automatically be entered
    • Click "OK"

Step 5:

• The name of your mod's entry appears now in the list of the Launcher Application
    • Click "File\Exit" or use the close button on the top right of the frame

Step 6:

• Run the Kingdoms Launcher and select your mod from the list
    • Play

Note: the above instructions are for version 1.4 of Squid's Kingdoms Launcher Application. Please drop me a PM if this is outdated at any time.

Removing an entry:
    Simply open the application, high light the entry and then click 'File\Delete Mod Settings' - this will only remove the installation from the launcher, you will have to remove the actual mod installation via the mod's uninstaller or do it manually in your browser.

Other info:

• I have gotten a report where the restart of Steam solved the problem when the game launcher's shortcut to a mod did not work correctly (started a new launcher).
    • Some member released a new M2TW launcher, it might be of interest for Steam users. Please note that support for that launcher will have to be through that site\link.
    Last edited by The Norseman; February 02, 2013 at 06:49 AM.

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

Oh I did use that. Only problem? It never worked. Besides, there's no such thing as too many options when it comes to installing mods on Steam.
    Last edited by Petite Wolf; February 05, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

Agreed, that is why I said:
    but it is great that you found another way as well!

When I try to do it, it doesn't add a config file, and when I try to play the mod it starts up but crashes on the black screen when the game starts

I try doing this with Hyrule Total War, but, as Supremesh4dow14 said, it crashes before the game even starts... when I try to open it directly, it says it can't find Kingdoms.exe... please help!

This thread has helped me alot, thanks.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Gaurdian%2019/Desktop/cody/Kokiri.jpg[/IMG]