Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul RELEASED v1.1

Default Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul RELEASED v1.1

Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul

Just as the description says ,in my first mod ever(if you can actually call modding just changing some stuff that exist already of course …anyway ;D ) I am attempting a whole out overhaul of the Gondorian war machine ,focusing on their core units entirely,and leaving AoR / Elite’s unaffected.

Testing is over.Actually i am most certainly not satisfied with the testing,there are many things id like to see ,but there is no more time (exams are starting) ,so ill have to release now and hope you be soft on it.

Before i begin i would like to stress ,that your feedback ,especially concerning balance is ESSENTIAL. Ideas and criticism are more than welcome ,provided they are constructive. Thanks!

This Sub-mod must NOT be used if the AI controls Gondor.It cannot survive!(use the anti-installer if you wanna play an other faction.)

I am attaching a picture that shows the base idea.

Features
    Features:

This submod alters the war machine gondor possesses in the game ,by removing entirely the need for militia to pre-professional ,and from pre-professional to professional unit transition. To be more precise ,there are no more militia and professional core units but one unit that is characterized as militia ,post-militia,pre-professional or professional only by 3 factors ,its experience ,armor upgrade and weapon upgrade. So now:

a)Smiths are now needed. Survival without them is harder.Army tier is measured by them and them alone.

b)Experience plays a greater role since before. A general must take care of his veterans.

c)Less blitzing ,since:1) the core units have increased upkeep. 2)Culture requirement has increased.

d)The transition from militia army to professional army is more dynamic ,takes course over the length of the campaign, and does not involve disbanding lower tier units and recruiting higher ones from scratch.

e)You don’t play 150+ turns just with militias. You shouldn't gameplaywise.You wouldnt normally.You wont now.

f)The unexprienced-poor equipped levied soldier can reach the professional armoured and deadly soldier…if he survives long enough.

g)The game is a bit more simplified recruitmentwise. Army diversity depends on the elite units.

Explanation/Thinking behind changes:
    Explanation/Thinking behind changes:

I’ve been a fan of gondor since I read the books. Although I did consider the full plate soldier present in the trilogy as a lore rape, I found it a good looking lore rape. With fewer words, I love gondors units as they are presented right now.After playing gondor endless times, sometimes without submods ,sometimes with MOS or Baron’s stuff ,I always loved the never ending struggle to stay alive ,a task quite easy if you could fully take advantage the game mechanics and AI (I’ve finished a campaign with gondor maintaining a quite fragile peace with harad since turn 40 for example),but quite hard if you decide not to (peace/exploits are for pussies!).

But I didn’t like at the fact that militias were the units I used 80% of the time. I didn’t also like the fact that I was forced to just send units on the frontline, and care little for their experience and longevity. Sometimes the challenge was to just send reinforcements and fight countless seemingly similar battles. I choose not to blitz ,found it kind of too much. And most and foremost I wanted my units to maintain their usefulness throughout the campaign, and evolve from companies of simple men to full fledged soldiers, just as my faction war machine does. And, since asking others to do what you want for you is a bit tad too much, that’s how all this came to be.

Simple example:
    Simple example:

Forget gondor militia and gondor swordsmen. You now have a new unit, gondorian soldiers. Your unit enters play with the basic equipment gondor militia posses ,meaning that your soldiers will wear leather /padded/mail armor and carry homemade shields and basic swords. But after having built the blacksmith for example ,and having them upgraded, their equipment now matches the new level of the unit. They now wear chainmail and use army shields. They are not militia units anymore ,their equipment is better and standardized. Now they are post-militia troops ,and visually they appear just as the unupgraded gondor swordsmen. The same principle goes along ,including two more levels of the unit ,the pre-professional and professional ,accompanied by the other two models ,and obtained only by building the neccesery buildings (barracks and smiths)and upgrading them. Thus for a unit to increase its armor value the smith buildings are neccesery .And since the are no professional units that come heavy armored from now on, you are now forced to invest there ,to ensure your survival .The unit has 11 armor (buffed from the militia original 9)and increases by 2 with upgrade ,reaching 17,the average level of defense professional gondor swordsmen have usually(it might be 2.5 and the increase at final stages 18.5 ,don’t know if its 2 ,or 2.5,tests show somewhere there).

Regarding the attack values of your troops ,here come into play the weapon upgrade and the experience. The attack values of the unit are the same as its militia version. In our example 7.The professional gondor swordsman has 9.Experience can give you up to 3 bonus ,plus 2 from the weapon upgrade(its actually 2.5 I think).The weapon upgrade ensures that fresh troops in the later stages of the campaign wont start the game with militia level attack but with the professional one(since 7+2(.5)=9),and past that point , betterment is only achived by experience. You can send them into death missions ,blitz, and care little of their longevity but later when you will need their higher attack to match the higher tier enemy troops, you wont have them. Thus ,taking care of our units is now necessary to survive later, and the veteran soldier is properly reflected and valued.

Neccesery changes:
    Neccesery changes:

In some cases gondor units are slightly buffed. For example if the militia unit has a charge of 4 and the corresponding professional unit has 5 ,it is buffed from the beginning. These changes are minor regarding attack values and charge bonuses. But they are greater in defense bonuses. All that is balanced through raising the units upkeep and recruitment cost significantly .I do not know if I could change somehow core stats with a script on specific turns inside the game, and I do not know if it would be practical to do so ,if it is possible.

Culture requirements have been increased to prevent recruitment of units from newly captured frontline cities with low dunedain population.(45% dunedain requirement).

Economically the money required is roughly the same as before ,but smithies are a necessity now ,thus requiring money you didn’t have to invest before.

Im taking the swordsmith guild out of the equation enclosing its bonuses to the smith buildings .Actually a high tier smith building will provide the same bonus. The money for building it will be more of course.

The barracks building retains its importance. You may be able to train those units from the beginning but the smith tier is closely tied with the upgraded barracks. So no big changes here either.

So yes ,you are getting slightly better militias ,but:
    a) you pay more to get them
    b)more to keep them
    c)are forced to pay a lot to upgrade them
    d)possible loss of them hurts more
    e)cannot recruit the best soldiers without smithies
    f)cannot recruit in borderland settlements with low culture.

Thoughts:
    Thoughts:

a)Im very,very,very,very concerned about overall campaign balancing. I don’t have the time to fully test them now, and I do not know how they would fare on the campaign. Logic implies that campaign will be the same or harder, but I wont put my hand to the fire.

b)Ive searched everywhere trying to find a way to increase the armor bonus (say from 2-2,5 to 3)provided by smiths, since the armor upgrades are limited to 3 by the game. Im also certain that there should be a way to add more weapon upgrades save the one there is already (RTW had 3),but I haven’t found anything like it either, now I am sure if I should add it.I bet they are hardcoded. If you got any ideas though, please shoot. Suffice to say I originally thought the upgrade bonus was just +1 ,and recalibrated all stats when I found it was around 2-2.5 .

Changelog in detail.
    Changelog in detail.

I. Gondor militia and gondor swordsmen are removed from the game.Replaced with Gondorian soldiers.
    II. Gondor archer militia and gondor archers are removed from the game.Replaced with gondorian archers.
    III. Gondor cavalry militia and gondor cavalry are removed from the game .Replaced with gondorian cavalry.
    IV. Gondor spearmen are removed from the game.Replaced by gondorian spearmen.Yes they don’t have a spear ,but they act as having one.
    V. Gondorian units in general have undergone some buffs ,small in size.
    VI. Gondorian units have increased upkeep,culture requirement,recruitment cost and upgrade cost.
    VII. Armourer (and its upgrades) now increases meele attack of units as well as armor level.
    VIII. Armourer’s cost has increased.
    IX. Swordsmith guild is not available for Gondor.

Past-Testing:
    I.Smithy buildings require the corresponding barrack,bowyer and stables being built as a requirement.
    II.Master Armorer also gives +1 experience to units.
    III.Core unit morale is reduced to the militia one.Morale improves only through experience.
    IV.Gondorian spearmen use the gondorian levies model (By ALHIMIK).
    V.Gondorian cavalry use shields on their models.Stats are reconfigured to change that.(By Intel).

v1.1.:
    I.Smithy buildings require only the barracks building as it was originally.
    II.Officer's academy and its tier of buildings is removed from Gondor.
    III.Officer's academy experience bonus potential is not lost.Now Tier 3 bowyer and stables buildings provide +1 experience.
    IV.Bowyer tier 2 and tier 3 building cost has increased ,intergrating the cost of the officer academy you should build otherwise.
    V.Stables tier 2 and tier 3
    building cost has increased ,intergrating the cost of the officer academy you should build otherwise.

Installation:
    Installation:

1)Just copy paste the data folder over the mods data. http://www.mediafire.com/?g9doykg910nayhj
    2)If you want to remove it ,paste the anti-installer data. http://www.mediafire.com/?ofjsoq7vdkc7wdj
    3)For v1.1 ,copy paste the ebd file i am attaching.

Future changes :
    Future changes :
    1)Increase the number of upgrades ,and therefore unit models.Most likely use a fifth model.Wont go past 6.
    2)Perhaps do the same for another faction.Will think about it.

Many thanks to Ngugi for giving me a nudge out of the door.Gosh i needed it!
    Many thanks to Intel for allowing me to include his sheild fix .:-)
    Praise ALHIMIK for allowing me to use his gondor levies as the base spearmen unit.Big thanks to you man!

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by G(r)eeknight; January 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: update v1.1

Default Re: Greeknight's Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul

Great Idea, I thought about sth. very similar when playing as Gondor, on the one hand the Militias are just ugly compared to the high tier units and on the other hand its a waste of money to disband them and to build new higher level units instead.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Your concept sounds a lot like that in place in Mount & Blade. It is indeed sound and makes a lot of sense.

Like you though, I would be concerned by the ability of the AI to deal with that, since it would need to retrain its units in settlements with blacksmiths, and build the said blacksmiths alongside barracks in order to pump out enough units to sustain itself on the long run. Which I'm somewhat doubtful of.

Generalpatton334's Avatar Foederatus

Wait why cant you just switch out the gondorian soldiers swords to spears

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I liked this idea. Is 3 the maximum number of upgrades?

There's a very similar submod out there that's aiming for almost the same. You guys might wanna try and coordinate efforts
    check it out here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=513030

well, this looks really interesting...
    Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do...

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    No 6

Quote Originally Posted by Pipoka View Post
    There's a very similar submod out there that's aiming for almost the same. You guys might wanna try and coordinate efforts
    If my tests regarding balancing turn out to be ok,and i can offer more than 3 different upgrades(and thus models) into the game without causing issues, i will surely try it out,since alhimik's models are magnificent (and i suck in texturing/modeling).

Quote Originally Posted by Generalpatton334 View Post
    Wait why cant you just switch out the gondorian soldiers swords to spears
    I,ve done it scriptwise.The unit has the same model ,but the sword acts as a spear and the unit animates as having a spear .My issue is that i cant get the model with the spear i've made into the game without crashing it.

Great to see someone realizing this idea! I havent tried it yet, but from what I see barracks are just a requirement to build blacksmiths. Maybe you could make barracks give some experience, as that is the place where troops are trained. Maybe up to 5 or 6 points of experience with highest tier of barracks. There will still be enough to gain with battle.

It really sucks that the statistics of upgraded units are wrong. I use this information a lot during campaign. Maybe this also messes up the auto resolving?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipoka View Post
    I am focusing on visual upgrades mainly and not going into major recruitment/building system changes. There are many units that need work in terms of armor upgrades. It is good to see someone else has started working on this. I do not plan to coordinate with other submods at this point, but if asked, i will be happy to let them include my visual upgrades in their releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by G(r)eeknight View Post
    If my tests regarding balancing turn out to be ok,and i can offer more than 3 different upgrades(and thus models) into the game without causing issues, i will surely try it out,since alhimik's models are magnificent (and i suck in texturing/modeling).
    I would be glad to let you use my levies (spearmen) model, but you first need to get permission regarding the models/textures from KK, i think. The model mainly consists of parts from vanilla M2TW and Rusichi TW, which i heavily edited and are not recognizable anymore. However, there are certain parts like gondorian helmets and belts that i copied from swordsmen militia. Not that i cannot make my own parts, but more so to save time and maintain coherent look among gondorian army. As for textures, similarly most of them are mine made from scratch or from real photos, again things like helmets and belts are from TATW militia units. In fact helmets and belts are the only remnants of original TATW militia models, if i remember correctly.

I believe there will not be any problem with getting permission, as none of us is making money from these models/textures, instead helping to make TATW a better game for the community. Wish you all the best in your efforts. If you have any questions regarding the model files or texturing etc PM me.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 12, 2012 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersmurf View Post
    No 6
    I even sucessfully ran tests with 10.

But I had to change the text files for it, they only go from 0 to 6 at the moment.
    Otherwise there will be a CTD when you open the unit info.

Just curious, is it possible to have experience work towards defense as well? I find the experience system in M2TW lack-luster compared to the one in RTW; your "elite" units don't have the same feeling of being "elite" as they did in RTW. Awesome idea though

Default Re: Greeknight's Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul(testing update)

@Zoltar
    From what ive seen exeprience is a very small factor towards increasing defense,and i dont think we can change it.I agree with you,im not a fan of M2TW's experience system.But IF we were to implement RTW's experience system in TATW and specifically gondor,we would have militia units that would smash skulls in midgame.Right now in my testing i got on 8 chevron infantry.In rtw's system that would translate in 7(base)+8=15 attack and 19 defense ,and all that without even adding the upgrades.It would be too OP for gondor,even if we were to recalibrate every factions stats.

@Paradamed
    I originally thought of adding more than 3 armor upgrades.What limited me into 3 was my failure with the models.I might increase the the transition ,say use 5 upgrades instead of 3 (and thus increase models from 4 to 6 ,for every unit),but that possibly in the future,and provided its doable balance-wise.Atm ,im focusing into testing ,so i can release before my exam period starts.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

6 or 10 armour upgrades...

TATW uses 7 armours, in expanded_txt you have them from armour 0 - armour 6. With that being said lets elaborate little further.
    With more than 3 armour upgrades per unit several issues will arise:

1) armour benefits
    with armour giving (2 or 2.5) bonus, the more upgrades you have, the greater the paradox is. example: unit with 10 armour upgrade level would have 20 or 25 starting defense. Now take that and AI's inability to use this system and you have damaged battle and campaign dynamics.

i've been dealing with armour and unit stats for a while (mostly with PB's work) and some things must be taken into consideration. in battle units with shields (especially the larger ones) are great when facing archers (from the front) and in melee (also frontal) but are vulnerable on flank and back attacks. Now, gondor armies use shields that we can say range from medium to large. so, if they already are good against range attacks and can sustain melee for a while with their shields taken in consideration, then boosting their basic armour will make them over-powered when facing flanking attacks where shield doesn't play such a big role...

2) requirements
    the sole purpose of having 10 armour upgrades just to achieve visual benefit is unsound to me. don't get me wrong, idea is good but there are some flaws about it. first of, how will game recognise level 4 or 6 or 10 armour. you get gold shield with 3 armour upgrade so i don't think there are many more options to go there. also, you are basically talking about same unit from the beginning, and there are many things that should be considered about it:
    2.1) unit morale
    the militia starts with lowest morale and that would be the basic value for your troops. morale increases with experience (at least i think) but even so, there should be great difference between early un-professionals and later professionals. with your proposal, you could have militia with 9 gold chevrons having way more morale then professional troops. although this can be addressed in building capabilities (i think) the problem still remains.
    2.2) unit capabilities
    are something you can't change after-wards. example:militia now can't form shield wall, while more advanced gondorian troops can. this is essential to show a level of professionalism in gondor military. if you have one unit with different models, then your unit will have only capabilities it has in edu, meaning that your low tier troops will have exact same abilities as your most professional troops.
    2.3) unit cost
    although retraining costs can be changed as you want, i'm not sure if the upkeep cost will be affected. if unit does end up with armour upgrade it's upkeep should be very much different from the upkeep of unupgraded or in your case low tier unit.
    2.4) smithies
    will indeed become more important, actually, most important building in game. so you should consider to restrict where they can be built. maybe in regions with iron resource (or other metal) or with required level of market also...
    tying them to barracks, ranges and stables isn't a way to go... if you first build barracks and train unit in it, then when you finally build smithies you will have to retrain that unit even though you trained it in a barracks that can and should train already upgraded unit. so my suggestion, don't involve training buildings in it. make them dependable on settlement levels.

3) overall opinion
    generally, this is good idea. however, imo the drawbacks are greater than benefits. this is essentially just an visual presentation with some tweaks to stats. this is true, of course, if with time it shows that there is no way AI can counter or use this system. essentially, you would need to rework entire stats for every faction. and even then your submod would have any sense when playing gondor.

however, i could maybe suggest, to break up the concept... not make it streamlined as it is now where you have militia > early professionals > mid professionals > late professionals. you could break each of this branches and therefore have 12 different models. example: levies can be upgraded to yeoman and then militia. and that's it, there's no more upgrade for them. you can make militia semi-professional troop like minutemen or something like that. the other branches could be separated like that also.

this last one is just an opinion, not something i think should be done. also i want to encourage you to continue, when i made my first mod, one great member of this forum told me: Don't mind what people tell you, do it for yourself...

so, don't mind what i just wrote...

edit:
    POST 1000, WHO WOULD GUESS I CAN MAKE IT SO FAR? haha
    Last edited by Minas Moth; January 14, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Generalpatton334's Avatar Foederatus

Will this be compatiple with barons submod ???

I think you do not need permission from KK to release what you have right now. The permission is when you modify the model/texture files. From the description it seems you only changed text files so far, so it should not be a problem.

@Minas moth:
    Man ,these are the post i want!Constructive ,factful thinking.Thanks for taking the time and writing down all these,man,honestly.

1)No way im getting past than 5-6 upgrades.The number 10 is ridiculusly high,and i see no reason to go that far.The main purpose is to link the level of the simple peasant to the professional soldier.My idea was for every unit to begin with padded armor and then leather=>chainmail=>adv.chainmail=>partial plate=>full plate.Thats the ceiling and even then,it must pass the balancing procedure,and i must see how it will intergrate into the game.If i add more upgrades i will nerf original/starting defense of course.Dear friend,this is surely not for the AI to use,i thought it only as a mod for the player .

2)Agreed.
    2.1)Morale is an exception.I am sorry i did not add it in the first place,my fault entirely.Since experience increases morale ,units start with militia morale and improve only through experience.I havent bothered much with this though.Partly because ive rarely seen a unit rout in any of my gondor campaigns,and partly because its what ive started testing yesterday (/evil laugh).Im trying to figure out how much morale is added with each chevron at the moment.
    2.2)Thats a drawback i admit.Sadly very few special abilites are used in the core units as gondor is on the vanilla game.I was thinking you would use elite units for special abilities.Would make more sense since they are elite after all.
    2.3)Upkeep is what troubled me since the begining.I hoped to change it in course of the game,but i do not know if i can change edu values with a script into the game.At the moment ,it is higher than the militia one,but lower than the professional one.That economically makes the late game easier for a Gondor player.The only alternative that i can think of is raising it even more in the begining but that would make the begining insanely hard ,and unrealistic.
    2.4)The mine idea is what i thought from the start.But while minas tirith is a great place to reinforce for the northern army,the nearest mine for the southern one is in Dol Amroth.In the late game aswell only Umbar has mines (and its silver)i think.If that idea was intergrated ,the player would have very few places to reinforce from the battlefronts.So running a unit 4 turns to a city with a smithy (and therefore a mine)and waiting 5 more for it to return to the main force ,is a tad too much.And since trading exists i dont see why smithies would be restricted to just there.What im thinking is to give a slight bonus to the smithies of these settlements to reflect the mine existence,or do nothing at all.
    I wanna tie the smities to these 3 ,because as it is now,the player has no reason to build higher bowyers or stables.Since im giving him the core unit from the begining ,and the first barrack ,why would he throw more money into the tree?The answer could be an increased unit availability,but with good planning you dont need it.The professional units required higher bowyers/stables/barracks though -without them ,you couldnt make them.Im thinking of offering experience incentive as an alternative,but it's debateable.

3)I never thought AI would use these changes/mod in the first place.As for countering it ,no matter how many tests i do,the best tester is the player , i think.
    We make stuff to share with other people.If i did it entirely for myself,id keep it on my computer.Besides,what other people think matters as much as what you do think.
    Last edited by G(r)eeknight; January 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Default Re: Greeknight's Gondor recruitment/soldiers overhaul RELEASED

Testing is over .Id like to note though that its because due to the fact that my exams begin now.Thus the alternative option was to wait for 3 weeks till they are over,finish tests then and then release.But after much thought ,ive decided to release as it is,and use only your reference.Thanks.

As you may notice ,small changes have been done.The bowyer/stables requirement has been issued,armories building cost was decreased ,morale nerfed,and the spearmen now use ALHIMIK's levies model (many thanks again mate).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast