Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Would humanity have the right to extinguish alien races? [.Mitch. v Aanker] discussion thread

Default Re: Would humanity have the right to extinguish alien races? [.Mitch. v Aanker] discussion thread

right and wrong are subjective, if humans were more advanced than any aliens then they encounter and had the ability and will to destroy whatever kind of lifefroms they'd run into and they did destroy, then thats that works the other way around as well...
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Would humanity have the right to extinguish alien races? [.Mitch. v Aanker] discussion thread

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Bad question, as there are so many variables not accounted for that it would take a whole book to account for them (such as place in the ecosystem, level of self-consciousness, level of ability to grieve, actual importance of a functioning ecosystem for a successful exploitation of their planet's resources [imagine e.g. big herds of animals producing manure that is rich with important elements or substances - maybe it's even theirs that is useful, etc.]).

So, the only proper answer to the original question is "depends".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crow View Post
    if we make a game theoretical analysis it is a prisoners dilemma, so, we should at first, if we make a deeper one, we find out its actually an ininetly iterated prisoners dilemma with 100% probability so it will be incredibly harmful to our own survival to do that.
    You should perhaps try to lay out inhowfar this is a prisoner's dilemma, because I fail to see how it would be.
    Last edited by Ältester der Motten; October 05, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Honestly, if this topic is so interesting, why not start a proper thread in the Ethos, Mores et Monastica or launch a new one-on-one debate? This battle took place a good half year ago, if my memory serves me right, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Actually, I think Halo is exploring this concept right now - post covenant war the UNSC is trying to get rid of the elites Genocidally, even though they had just been Genocidified (can't think of a word there) themselves.

I think I'd agree with aanker that it's a Moral concept. I wouldn't want to commit genocide on a species that had just Genocidified me, even though we beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Actually, I think Halo is exploring this concept right now - post covenant war the UNSC is trying to get rid of the elites Genocidally, even though they had just been Genocidified (can't think of a word there) themselves.

I think I'd agree with aanker that it's a Moral concept. I wouldn't want to commit genocide on a species that had just Genocidified me, even though we beat it.
    really? where did you get dat info about halo?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

He said he thinks.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    Words of pure wisdom.

Killing Aliens is stupid in the extreme. We're probably just some upstart barbarians to them, what chance do we have anyways?
    That completely depends on who is the technologically superior party.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    really? where did you get dat info about halo?
    The newest book, Halo: The Thursday War

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske View Post
    That completely depends on who is the technologically superior party.
    Which will be them in case of any race visiting us.
    We can't dream about the technology required to cover that distances between stars, for the moment at last.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Primicerius

That would be mean, if that alien race were peaceful to us.

flota's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post

mankind barely survived the human-covenant war... deux ex machina...
    we arent trying to kill the elites yet... we are watching how they recover from their own schism, if they got on their feet really fast that would be bad for the humans (all the human leaders are xenophobic for a good reason)

In the halo universe mankind would wipe out the elites without a second thought after the war... who knows what could have happened if they werent on their plans to exterminate humanity in the first place.
    In 40k, we are a xenphobic race becauese of the age of strife and a few xenos species that love to fight mankind (orkz, dark eldar, etc)
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345