Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'Isandlwana - Thin Red Line' - A 19th century mod about the Anglo-Zulu War (CAMPAIGN PREVIEW) - Kingdoms

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA v0.2 released!) - Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre dumas View Post
    This altered version of an original video, was created for 3 chinese video sites,they pay me to create the video but they choose the music,so basicly,i just create the video based on their musical choice.so now that you know the facts,please forget about complaining about the music in this video,it was not made for you, but for some paying video sites.

hehe, no need to explain the music in your videos, mate. Some will like it, some will not. It's all a matter of the viewer's taste. They're your videos, and you know the reasons behind the music choices. Nothing more than that is needed.

Keep up the outstanding work with your videos. I enjoy watching them
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; March 21, 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: wrong "they're" - DERP :P

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - The Thin Red Line' - A 19th century battle mod on the Anglo-Zulu War (BETA v0.2 released!) - Kingdoms

@atheniandp

Thanks mate, and indeed some of M2TW's landscapes resembles Zululand very well, if you look at some of the photos in the first post. Btw, your sig reminds me to play RS once again

@alexandre dumas
    +Rep and many thanks again for your efforts with the historic battles and the videos. I look forward to play these battles.
    And I really like the dismounted troopers having their horses close by now. I know there's a line in the EDU that attaches animals to a unit but I didn't get it to work. Please tell me how you did it.
    And how did you implement the wagons? I would love to enable that for the mod as a whole.

Oh, just one question, why use the soldiers the old loading animations? Anything wrong with my animation packs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    hehe, no need to explain the music in your videos, mate. Some will like it, some will not. It's all a matter of the viewer's taste. Their your videos, and you know the reasons behind the music choices. Nothing more than that is needed.

I second that
    Last edited by Isandlwana; March 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    hehe, no need to explain the music in your videos, mate. Some will like it, some will not. It's all a matter of the viewer's taste. Their your videos, and you know the reasons behind the music choices. Nothing more than that is needed.

thanks for putting things in perspective,thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    @atheniandp

Thanks mate, and indeed some of M2TW's landscapes resembles Zululand very well, if you look at some of the photos in the first post. Btw, your sig reminds me to play RS once again

@alexandre dumas
    +Rep and many thanks again for your efforts with the historic battles and the videos. I look forward to play these battles.
    And I really like the dismounted troopers having their horses close by now. I know there's a line in the EDU that attaches animals to a unit but I didn't get it to work. Please tell me how you did it.
    And how did you implement the wagons? I would love to enable that for the mod as a whole.

Oh, just one question, why use the soldiers the old loading animations? Anything wrong with my animation packs?

I second that

thanks for letting me work on your mod,i've sent you a private message to answer your questions
    ciao from montreal,quebec,canada. summer is close by !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    @atheniandp

It's a good time to play, the new 2.5 patch is out... very cool.

BTW, those riderless horses and wagons look fantastic!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

hi, for those who can't wait for the historical & fiction battles,

here's a .rar file that include: 3 files
    2 battles folder
    &
    a new export_descr_unit.txt (it's just for this beta version,please the keep the original file)

INSTALLING:Just place the 3 files exactly the way they are
    in the .rar file

this scripted battle has 2 versions:
    ( Sieging_a_kraal (british version)) :take & hold the zulu's kraal main spot for 3 minutes to win
    or
    (Defending_a_kraal (zulu version)): kill all the british soldiers on the battlefield

You Can skip the battle intro & start the battle right away by pressing ESC

here's the .rar file

Attachment 211950
    (huge version)

or

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21465706/mods.rar
    (huge version)

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE AN OLDER VIDEO GRAPHIC CARD & WANT TO PLAY WITH ALMOST NO LAG
    here is a smaller version of the battle

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21466...ll_version_rar

INFO on progress
    ----------------
    a)the new firing sound for the rifles,is not included because the sound
    pack is too big to upload here

B)fix the animation pack so that it will include all old
    & new animation (ammunition wagon,musket group fire anim etc..)

so now i'm
    reducing the my data folder to make the futur installer very small
    Last edited by alexandre dumas; March 25, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: new link added

THE DEATH OF THE IMPERIAL PRINCE (historic battle getting scripted)

(is another historic battle that i'm finishing scripting,
    so that you will play as lieutenant carrey & with a very short amount time given ;
    you'll try to save the prince by killing the zulu warriors that are attacking him
    & bringing his horse back to him, so that he can mount it to escape .)

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre dumas View Post
    THE DEATH OF THE IMPERIAL PRINCE (historic battle getting scripted)

(is another historic battle that i'm finishing scripting,
    so that you will play as lieutenant carrey & with a very short amount time given ;
    you'll try to save the prince by killing the zulu warriors that are attacking him
    & bringing his horse back to him, so that he can mount it to escape .)
    Not fully recovered, yet, so I haven't had a look at the battles but I'll have in time. The idea is great and I totally support anything that gives TW soldiers a name (literally) and makes them appear less generic and expendable.

I think also, some words on the background of the Prince imperial can't hurt. So I put up the chapter about the prince from Colenso's "History of the Zulu war" for those who would like to know more.

" EARLY in April the South African community was greatly impressed and interested by the arrival of the young Prince Imperial, who came out to Natal to take his share in the fortunes of war, and to see something of active service against the Zulus. [...] Read more "

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Looks very authentic, nice work guys.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

I cant get this to work... Just says "Cant find kingdoms.exe" -.- any suggestions?

My first guesses would be that you either haven't installed the Kingdoms Expansion or the mod is not installed in the correct folder.

Is the mod located in this folder?
    \Medieval II Total War\mods\ThinRedLine\

Yes, I already had kingdoms installed and Thankyou! Got it working Very awsome mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhiin View Post
    Yes, I already had kingdoms installed and Thankyou! Got it working Very awsome mod!
    thanks mate. glad you got it to work.

Icon4 Campaign and some sigs

I know I said no campaign will be made but then I had some spare time and against better knowledge invested it in ... a campaign. Doh! Well, there's still a long way to go but here's some concepts and ideas as to what a future release might look like. (Please note that part of the UI is still the very "empire-ish" UI Radboud made for the African Conquest-mod which I happen to collaborate with)

So here it is ...

... the campaign map preview for ... :

New Splash screen

The campaign map in the contemporary geopolitical context

Featuring authentic characters in rare original photographs in historic places, ...

.. real historical places, named forts and landmarks, like Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana and Blood River, ... (no invisivble texture has been applied yet, quite obviously )

... real characters with photos, lots of interesting info and the correct units under their command

.. real landmarks, realistic ressources in the correct places and character and village names, which had been almost forgotten, for the Zulu faction.

The Colony of Transvaal ... will the Boers side with the Empire to conquer the land of the Zulu or use the opportunity to get rid of the English?

Join the invasion and accompany Colonel Pearson's coastal column with the Naval Brigade!

Four factions: Zulu Kingdom, British Empire, Swazi Kingdom and the Colony of Transvaal

XVI. Signatures

You have no sig? And like to show your support or even admiration for "Isandlwana - Thin Red Line"? Why not just use one of these ...

The "classic" in all it's bloody glory

A challenger appears ...

Holding the line .. will they?

Want to make your sig clickable?

Just add this line in the signature box ... :

[U*RL="weblink"][IMG]imagelink[/IMG][/URL]

... and replace the weblink with one of your choice and replace the imagelink with the link of the sig picture you like most. Also remove the red asterisk (this "*").

That's it ...

P.S. All sigs are in 550x108

If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions just post them ....
    Last edited by Isandlwana; July 01, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - Thin Red Line' - A 19th century mod about the Anglo-Zulu War (CAMPAIGN PREVIEW) - Kingdoms

Oh, this is a pleasant surprise! I quite enjoyed custom battles, and I am sure I'll enjoy campaign even more.

Excellent work!

And little support by me, I am using your sig now

Default Re: 'Isandlwana - Thin Red Line' - A 19th century mod about the Anglo-Zulu War (CAMPAIGN PREVIEW) - Kingdoms

SWEEEET! This will be a dream-come-true for many players if it happens. Bon courage, brave general!

Default Unit preview: Naval Brigade

This is kind of a crosspost because some of my units will also be used for African Conquest.

Unit Preview

British: Naval Brigade Sailors (~1879)
    The Naval Brigade in the Anglo-Zulu War was a force of Royal Marines and sailors. At least individuals of the brigade/Royal Navy were present in every major battle of the war. They were employed as signal men, artillery (gatling, rocket launcher) crews and also fought alongside the regular infantry. They were mainly used in the coastal region.

The men, whites and blacks (the so-called Kroomen*) alike, were mostly from HMS's, "Active", "Shah", "Tenedos" & "Boadicea".
    To distinguish the sailors in these detachments different combinations of uniform dress were worn (at that particular time).

HMS Active: Blue jumpers, white trousers, white caps
    HMS Tenedos: Blue jumpers, blue trousers, white (later blue) cap cover
    HMS Boadicea: White jumper, white trousers, blue cap cover
    HMS Shah: Blue jumpers, blue trousers, sennet hat

The men were equipped with the Martini-Heny rifle just like the regular infantry. Instead of the conventional bayonet they used a special type of cutlass-bayonet sidearm.

Sailors in the Naval Brigade (Detachment from HMS "Tenedos")

Black sailors (Kroomen) in the Naval Brigade (Detachment from HMS "Tenedos")

Sailors in the Naval Brigade (Detachment from HMS "Active")

Further Reading

Read more about the Naval Brigade in this article by MrGreaves on 1879zuluwar.com [...]
    http://www.1879zuluwar.com/t2066-nav...n-the-zulu-war

On wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Brigade

Some authentic photographs on my modding blog (scroll down about halfway)
    http://thinredlinemod.blogspot.com/p/about.html

*Fun fact: Kroomen is sometimes understood as an "africanized" form of the english word crewmen but originally refers to the Kru-tribe to which most of the black sailors, then in British service, did belong.
    Last edited by Isandlwana; July 02, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan View Post
    Oh, this is a pleasant surprise! I quite enjoyed custom battles, and I am sure I'll enjoy campaign even more.

Excellent work!

And little support by me, I am using your sig now
    Hey Neko, thanks much for the support! And what an awesome sig you have now ...

@EarlofWarwick
    Thanks alot mate. Any encouragement is much appreciated!

Great mod, and now a full campaign to go with it, woo! Keep up the great work, it's certainly appreciated!

Nice work! This is a lot like the Victoria: Total War a lot of people have been dying to see!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast