Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Call to Arms!! Another update!

Default Re: Call to Arms!! A fiefdom Submod, New fief heraldry bottom of page 3!

I thought about the smaller wavy not the straight ones
    Pinnath Gelin ones is better without tree.
    I might think about Ringló. A bridge sounds good yet.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Call to Arms!! A fiefdom Submod, New fief heraldry bottom of page 3!

Well i see one huge problem but it can be fixed quick.

The thing is that those units will be recrutable in only one settlement each so after you bring your troops from Anfalas,you have 2 or 3 battles with them and their numbers are low your remaining troops are too few.Marching them all the way to Anfalas to retrain them and them bringing them back to the front takes the fun out of them.

I suggest adding the ability of retraining them everywhere but the recrutement itself should take place only in their provinces.

Since the provincial armies were more numerous then the royal army this submob will bring Gondor that much closer to the lore.You should make them competent troops but not better then the royal troops.

Best of luck.

The ability of retraining them anywhere quite ruins the point of the fiefdoms imho. 1 man left in the unit, at 10 turns from my recruitment area? Who gives a damn, BOOM! I'm back at 152 next turn!!! It's totally breaking gameplay balance. If you want to play with them, deal witht the fact that they come from one specific place and are meant to represent the LOCAL troops of that area. If you want fresh full 152 men units, regroup understrenght units or bring fresh ones from the back lines. People need to quit trying to justify anything with lore to convince people they have good ideas, as i don't see how being able to recruit new Ringlo Vale swordmen through retraining in the far end hole of southern Harad, with their livery and all, once it's conquered, can represent properly the fact that they are provincial troops, or that they are more numerous than royal troops (if any distinction of that kind was made, in the first place). Try common sense, for once.
    Last edited by Khay; January 06, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that
    you are better suited to that reading activity, and suggest you go back to it.
    I guess it could work for some guys with Battle of Middle Earth as well...

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    The ability of retraining them anywhere quite ruins the point of the fiefdoms imho. 1 man left in the unit, at 10 turns from my recruitment area? Who gives a damn, BOOM! I'm back at 152 next turn!!! It's totally breaking gameplay balance. If you want to play with them, deal witht the fact that they come from one specific place and are meant to represent the LOCAL troops of that area. If you want fresh full 152 men units, regroup understrenght units or bring fresh ones from the back lines. People need to quit trying to justify anything with lore to convince people they have good ideas, as i don't see how being able to recruit new Ringlo Vale swordmen through retraining in the far end hole of southern Harad, with their livery and all, once it's conquered, can represent properly the fact that they are provincial troops, or that they are more numerous than royal troops (if any distinction of that kind was made, in the first place). Try common sense, for once.
    Unless it's a AP unit that i need to fight trolls i'll stick to generic units thank you very much.

My idea doesn't break gameplay balance,it helps it and i made a suggestion using nonagressive language i suggest we remain at that level.

Sorry. I observed recently a significant increase of highly debatable gameplay suggestions under the easy excuse of "lore" and this word developped the magical power to make me quite irritated. I will try to be more neutral in the future. Still, I do think this feature doesn't help representing these units properly, nor enhancing gameplay interest by easing their use.
    Last edited by Khay; January 06, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that

Would you guys mind If I could use some of your Coat of Arms (from previous page)? I was going to redesign mine, but yours are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Imrazôrs Erbe View Post
    I thought about the smaller wavy not the straight ones
    Pinnath Gelin ones is better without tree.
    I might think about Ringló. A bridge sounds good yet.
    Ah for god sake! Silly me !

Anywho heres the final line up:

V1 anfalas, ringolo, pinnath flag with big hill and tree, and lamedon.

@Khay and shock blast:

You will only be able to recruit units from their respective fiefs, although there will be an event where you will be able to retrain all fief units at minas tirith

Quote Originally Posted by Taro_M View Post
    Would you guys mind If I could use some of your Coat of Arms (from previous page)? I was going to redesign mine, but yours are very good.
    Hey Taro_M, which flags do you want to use?

Also a bit of a teaser:

"Neither Hirluin the Fair to the hills by the sea"

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Massive credit to kk for the pauldrons, wings and gauntlets! Also huge credit for Rusichi TW for the base stuff.

Default Re: Call to Arms!! A fiefdom Submod, Hero Teaser on page 4!

Lamedon, Anaflas and Piinath Gelin. I will edit them though.

Just a word: Hirluin and his Piinath Gelin wariors were cald in green and had yellow star banners.
    Last edited by Taro_M; January 06, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Could we get a better look at Hirluin? lol
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Lamedon, Anaflas and Piinath Gelin. I will edit them though.
    Which version of anaflas and which version of pinnath? there are 3 versions haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Could we get a better look at Hirluin? lol
    Its a teaser , I'll get hirluin, angbor and Dervorin up tomorrow.

No need to bother with me, I just asked for permission to use your ideas, I will make them myself.

Could we please get a screenshot were this poor guy is not busy dying?^^
    From what i can see under the blood he looks absolutely great
    Well done.
    Last edited by Khay; January 06, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    "GB2/HoME"

No need to bother with me, I just asked for permission to use your ideas, I will make them myself.
    Urm what? I didn't mean to offend you, look I'll send over a file in a sec with all the icons ok? Sorry!

No I wasnt ofended at all. Im going to edit those anyway so I could as well make them myself, but having that base sure will make things easier for me, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    Could we please get a screenshot were this poor guy is not busy dying?^^
    From what i can see under the blood he looks absolutely great
    Well done.
    Alright then here you go !

Massive credit to kk for the pauldrons, wings and gauntlets! Also huge credit for Rusichi TW for the base stuff.

@Taro_M: Im glad I could help, your mods fantastic
    Last edited by Curufin; January 06, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

Default Re: Call to Arms!! A fiefdom Submod, Hirluin on page 4!

Wow the pauldrons + coat of arms and cape look even better than i though. He looks... knightly
    Last edited by Khay; January 06, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
    "GB2/HoME"

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Looks great
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

This looks awesome. I'll definitely be following it!

Edit: Having looked through the thread, I have some questions. Though all the units look very nice, I think you may want to consider changing the roles of the Warriors of the Ringlo Vale and the Golasgil Household Knights. As it stands right now, neither of those units really fill a role that an existing core unit, or AOR for that matter, doesn't already cover. I feel like they're both sort of transitional units, stronger than Gondor Militia but weaker than Swan Knights and core faction units. While it's nice to see visual diversity, I can't help but feel that, at the moment, that's all they are. The Green Hills Spearmen and the Clansmen of Lamedon are both unit types that don't exist anywhere else in the faction, which makes them both unique and useful. What incentive will the player actually have to build the Golasgil and Ringlo Vale units?

See Disgruntled Goat's post here to understand what I mean:
    Myself, when I view a game as a designer I view it like I would any engineering problem. In the case of the mod I look at it like this "how do I make this fun to play, exciting and streamlined." You probably understand the first two but are confused by streamlined. What do I mean? Well, one overwhelming people with choices is usually not a very good idea, nor is overwhelming them with text or other information. For something to be satisfying there needs to be meaning behind the choice. So while I like AoR's (and used them to great extent in my mod The Crusades for RTW) I disagree with simply cranking up the number of units VIA the AoR idea to inflate unit choice with similar units over and over again. If say the AoR elven unit and the AoR dale unit for gondor is nearly identical in every way except for the model I ask why create those units. Instead maybe better define the unit in the stats or amalgamate the unit into one single unit say provincial (for lack of a better word at this time) archer. There are some very simple things you can do to create diversity via a single unit. For example I can make a single unit "Archers" that appear to be visually different in every province but in the game appear to be the same unit that is recruited every time. This would streamline the interface for the player but also diversify the game visually.
    Last edited by Yarrum; January 06, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Damn! Curufin...were have you been hiding thes past years? This sub mod has is rapidly gaining TOP NOTCH statis ...carry my noble fellow rouse the leal Men of Gondor to fight under their own banners!
    On that note are you considering standard carriers to hoist the new banners you are making?
    Last edited by GERMANICUS; January 06, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

A thought, place forts in each region, these forts are the population centres other than than the regions capital, with free upkeep of 1 each, and randomly spawn <25 per turn excludding a winter turn, a unit from the lowest tier for that region, at the regions capital all units are produced as normal.

Fort model needs to be changed to look like a small town/village. For AI control increase spawn of low tier units at these towns and bea generic look to allow mutiple factionsto use the same.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin