Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Call to Arms!! Another update!

Default Re: Call to Arms!! Beta 0.5 release, Realm of Lothlórien preview Page 9, Rumil page 9!

Quote Originally Posted by halland View Post
    Curufin, you are awesome! The realm of Lorien units are outstanding. Cannot wait to try them out in game.

Do you have anything done with Mirkwood units? I've been going through a bunch of LOTR and Elf pictures that I have, putting some ideas together that I should try and post on here, but I wasn't sure how much time you had spent on Mirkwood yet!
    Thanks man , honestly I havent done a huge deal of work on mirkwood yet so all ideas are greatly welcome! Been spending most of my time working on strat models.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Glad to hear that
    -
    Why did you make Rumil so heavily armoured, he was a marchwarden in the movies?
    -
    Maybe you could make a very well camouflaged unit for Mirkwood that would be very hard to see in forests, perfect for ambushing, sth like this one from LOTR TW maybe?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yeah I know, but I'm basing him off this:

Haldir will have his own special galadrhim bodyguard and Orophin will have special marchwarden bodyguards. Basically the lorien faction will have weak starting units and have to use its diverse heroes for the first few turns. I wanted to make a faction that plays differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    But... but... but... I WANTED MOAR FIEFDOM TROOPS !!!!

But your elves look awesome, so i guess that's ok
    Is Rumil a Tolkien's character, or someone you invented? I don't think i remember of him.
    Hahaha dont worry Khay I will deffo go back and add more fief troops, I was just getting bored with gondor so decided to work on something else !

Thanks. Rumil is very briefly mentioned in the books and movies. Also hopefully I'll get some screenies of the strat models up soon.

Default Re: Call to Arms!! Beta 0.5 release, Realm of Lothlórien preview Page 9, Rumil page 9!

Thanks man , honestly I havent done a huge deal of work on mirkwood yet so all ideas are greatly welcome! Been spending most of my time working on strat models.
    One think I was thinking of, when it comes to Mirkwood, is that they seem like they would be the more lightly armoured faction. Like Tolkien says that the Silvan Elves had poor armour and weapons compared to the Noldor, so for gameplay purposes they can still have high armour rating, but what about a different "armoured" look. I'll try to explain with pics.

When I look at this pic of Legolas, I think Sentinels of the Woodland Realm.

But what if their more combat ready "heavy" version weren't decked out with armour, but instead had basically this look, with leather and some shoulder guards.

Theoretically, I wouldn't think Mirkwood would be heavily armoured most of the time, but this would create another unit, that could essentially be "heavy sentinels" without putting all of that "lore raping" heavy armour on them. Just one thought I had, because the Sentinels always seemed like the perfect Mirkwood archer unit, but even though I love the Heavy Archers, they don't seem natural to the Silvan units.

I have a couple other ideas, but I'll write them up later. Just let me know what you think Curufin! If you don't like it, no problem

Any chance of this mod merging with MOS?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Taro made his units for MOS so adding even more units to Gondor (and I think Taro is also making fiefdom units) is unlikely.
    I find Taro's units a complete overkill already

One think I was thinking of, when it comes to Mirkwood, is that they seem like they would be the more lightly armoured faction. Like Tolkien says that the Silvan Elves had poor armour and weapons compared to the Noldor, so for gameplay purposes they can still have high armour rating, but what about a different "armoured" look. I'll try to explain with pics.

When I look at this pic of Legolas, I think Sentinels of the Woodland Realm.

But what if their more combat ready "heavy" version weren't decked out with armour, but instead had basically this look, with leather and some shoulder guards.

Theoretically, I wouldn't think Mirkwood would be heavily armoured most of the time, but this would create another unit, that could essentially be "heavy sentinels" without putting all of that "lore raping" heavy armour on them. Just one thought I had, because the Sentinels always seemed like the perfect Mirkwood archer unit, but even though I love the Heavy Archers, they don't seem natural to the Silvan units.

I have a couple other ideas, but I'll write them up later. Just let me know what you think Curufin! If you don't like it, no problem
    Yeah I think those are some good ideas, bear in mind that all elven units I've shown are lorien elves, who have a mix of light and heavy units. Mirkwoods elves will be mostly lightly armoured types, got any more images ?

Quote Originally Posted by dIRECT0R View Post
    Any chance of this mod merging with MOS?
    Urmm no idea, it depends if the mos team want to use part of this mod, I do know that this will be implemented into FROGS.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Taro made his units for MOS so adding even more units to Gondor (and I think Taro is also making fiefdom units) is unlikely.
    I find Taro's units a complete overkill already
    Yeah this aswell, although I will be doing elven units as well .

And a little update, some stratmodels:

Left to right: Rumils model, Orophins model and captains model.

(the banners will be changed)

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Whoa! Nice strat models. Did you make those yourself Curufin?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Whoa! Nice strat models.
    Second that

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

i third that

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I fourth that

Yeah I think those are some good ideas, bear in mind that all elven units I've shown are lorien elves, who have a mix of light and heavy units. Mirkwoods elves will be mostly lightly armoured types, got any more images ?
    Yeah I assumed that you would make Mirkwood less heavy armour! I was thinking of KKs heavy Sindarin Archers, which I like, but they don't seem lore correct. I love the style though, so it's tough to get rid of them in my mind

I have a few other pics and suggestions

That image is kind of what I think a "heavy" Mirkwood spearman or axeman would look like. Not that heavy plate armour that are default in 3.1 for heavy units, but sort of heavy layers of leather. It also gives them a different look than the other elven factions.

I also thought of this for another different styled unit ....

I'm not even entirely sure this unit would be, but I was thinking sort of the counter part to Sentinels? Like a super stealthy forest dwelling unit (you know, wood elves ) that wields dual swords a la Legolas in the movies. Lightly armoured, but high damage and quick movements? Just some thoughts. Let me know what you think Curufin!

No matter what I love your work so far. The strat models are amazing

Whoa! Nice strat models. Did you make those yourself Curufin?
    Ha thanks for all the comments guys , as for making them I used battle models so credit is the same, eg shredder and tatw crew. Strat models are pretty horrible to make but once you've got the hang of it you can make em quick !

On that note if anyone needs any strat models send me the models and textures and I'll rig them for the map, (I'll make the .cas files for you etc).

Yeah I assumed that you would make Mirkwood less heavy armour! I was thinking of KKs heavy Sindarin Archers, which I like, but they don't seem lore correct. I love the style though, so it's tough to get rid of them in my mind

I have a few other pics and suggestions

That image is kind of what I think a "heavy" Mirkwood spearman or axeman would look like. Not that heavy plate armour that are default in 3.1 for heavy units, but sort of heavy layers of leather. It also gives them a different look than the other elven factions.

I do like the leather armour and the cloak, also elves need more axes!! Not sure about the white, but idea that the majority of the elves will use leather is a good one!

I also thought of this for another different styled unit ....

I'm not even entirely sure this unit would be, but I was thinking sort of the counter part to Sentinels? Like a super stealthy forest dwelling unit (you know, wood elves ) that wields dual swords a la Legolas in the movies. Lightly armoured, but high damage and quick movements? Just some thoughts. Let me know what you think Curufin!

I'm not sure why but I like this guy, note sure about dual wielding swords tbh, could make the cloaks green and give them a hood, might be interesting.

No matter what I love your work so far. The strat models are amazing
    Haha thanks for the ideas!

Anywho heres some more strat models, credits are the same for the angbor and hirluin models:

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
    Strat models are pretty horrible to make but once you've got the hang of it you can make em quick !

On that note if anyone needs any strat models send me the models and textures and I'll rig them for the map, (I'll make the .cas files for you etc).
    Excellent! In that case I will be in touch via PM.

Just a word of caution, in case you weren't aware of it... There is a limit of 10 models per character type per faction. Gondor general slots are already half used up in vanilla and other submods/compilations may be adding their own models too. So there might not be room left for many of yours, especially in compilations such as MOS and Baron's.

Little suggestion, please do not give Hirluin the same helmet as Dol Amroth Units... Maybe you give him any helmet, cause in german he's translated as "Hirluin der Schöne" which means beautiful, so maybe he would not cover his face with a helmet, and surely not with an DA one.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I don't think he wants his pretty face to be deformed by a sword through his skull and orcs don't give about pretty enemy generals^^.

Those fiefdom units are quite impressive I must say. Wouldn't mind seeing some of them in an official release.

Excellent! In that case I will be in touch via PM.

Just a word of caution, in case you weren't aware of it... There is a limit of 10 models per character type per faction. Gondor general slots are already half used up in vanilla and other submods/compilations may be adding their own models too. So there might not be room left for many of yours, especially in compilations such as MOS and Baron's.
    Aye I am aware of this annoying fact, I do have a little room to work as it seems aragorn has 3 models for gondor already? I can remove 2 of them and that gives me a bout 4 fiefdom heroes, better than nothing I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Imrazôrs Erbe View Post
    Little suggestion, please do not give Hirluin the same helmet as Dol Amroth Units... Maybe you give him any helmet, cause in german he's translated as "Hirluin der Schöne" which means beautiful, so maybe he would not cover his face with a helmet, and surely not with an DA one.
    He may be fair but I'm sure he would wear decent armour to battle , also I've done with him, Im not a fan of going back to rework stuff unless Its really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Those fiefdom units are quite impressive I must say. Wouldn't mind seeing some of them in an official release.
    Holy cow wow!! Thanks that really means alot !!!

Also thanks for all the rep guys, really helps me to keep working at this, I'll hopefully get another update up tomorrow .

I do like the leather armour and the cloak, also elves need more axes!! Not sure about the white, but idea that the majority of the elves will use leather is a good one!
    I think we are on the same page on that, definitely the white doesn't seem natural, and if I could draw that myself I'd have used green or gray. +1 on the axes!

I'm not sure why but I like this guy, note sure about dual wielding swords tbh, could make the cloaks green and give them a hood, might be interesting.
    I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be awesome, because so far what I've seen of your work has been stellar! Just some suggestions I had thought of. I get waaay to into the look of the Elves haha. Can't wait to see what you come up with

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Call to Arms!! Beta 0.5 release, Realm of Lothlórien preview Page 9, not just a fiefdom mod anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
    Also if anyone has any concepts for mirkwood or units they want to see ingame post them and I'll try and make them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    . I still want a dualwield heavy ranger silvan unit. It should comes from a normal silvan ranger unit. Using the Palantir 5.1 unit stats, these units should be:

The dual ranger could wear leather (armor 4 instead of 6 for heavy version), hide everywhere, use a short bow (range 150 instead of 200) and short sword & normal dagger (attack 13 instead of 15, skill 8 instead of 9). So, rangers would be Defense 12 instead of 15. I think smaller weapons help in hiding.
    These Rangers could be an elite version of Woodland Sentinel, but to be able to hide everywhere they have to lose Stakes skill, have a smaller bow, and be less numerous.

With becoming 'heavy', these rangers loose 'hide everywhere' skill from their lighter units: I think heavy rangers (medium infantry) would only be called when we miss heavy archers units, but they should be an option.
    Numbering only 36 fighters, morale 15, attack1:Longbow:13(range 200), attack2:longSword&longDagger:15(attacking with long dagger too)(charge:5), Defence:15=6(good light mail)+9(dagger parry)+0

Woodland Sentinel -> Ranger (-> Heavy Ranger)
    Last edited by Vifarc; February 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Hey guys, some nice ideas here .

I know progress has been slow recently, sorry I've had a bit of a "modders" block at the mo with mirkwood, worked on a few units but I cant decide on what theme looks best.

Anywho hopefully I'll be able to post something this weekend.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Take your time, we are already having a lot of fun with the current fiefdoms units. I will soon post some screenies.