Thread: Petition for Shogun/Medieval as abandonwares ?

Default Petition for Shogun/Medieval as abandonwares ?

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I started the TW serie with Shogun and Medieval. Now these both games are pretty old and also hard to find in shops for a decent price. I lost one of the thre CD's of my MTW, and I found the game for 20 euros in the nearest shop...

Do you think that Shogun and Medieval should be abandonwares now ?
    It would give a great opportunity for the old fans who lost their cd's to play it back (<3 lovely paper map !) but also an opportunity for the new fans to see how the serie began.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Default Re: Petition for Shogun/Medieval as abandonwares ?

Yes, definitely.
    It would be awesome.

Sure, why not?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yes, sure it would be a good thing!
    And maybe CA let we know how to play the game with the most recent video cards!!!!

LEGIONARIVUS HVUNGARIVS, does the text in your signature mean there are 10% of Nazi around here on the Forums?

A petition about getting free stuff? How many people would say no I wonder
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

abandonware is something which there is no clear owner like Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2.

Shogun 1 has a clear owner http://www.sega.com/games/shogun-tot...-gold-edition/
    Before the Sega hack it was possible to purchase shogun 1 there as well.

Medieval 1 doesn't have a clear owner. I just checked the activision website and there is no mention of Medieval. I am pming one of the CA devs maybe they will know who owns it.

Well the elder scrolls Arena and Daggerfall have clear owners but they turned into abandonwares because Bethesda's will. CA could do the same with Shogun.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

That is a very different question, but one you will have to take up with Sega, CA doesn't own its products anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    Hey guys,

Like many of you, I started the TW serie with Shogun and Medieval. Now these both games are pretty old and also hard to find in shops for a decent price. I lost one of the thre CD's of my MTW, and I found the game for 20 euros in the nearest shop...

Do you think that Shogun and Medieval should be abandonwares now ?
    It would give a great opportunity for the old fans who lost their cd's to play it back (<3 lovely paper map !) but also an opportunity for the new fans to see how the serie began.
    Well I don´t have your problems cause all my CD's are still functional. But the game itself doesn't run on my PC anymore. So they would have to update the games compatibility with modern hardware. And I think no game company would work on this when the game will then be sold for free.

p.s. 20 €uros for these games are definitely too much. I can purchase them for only 6,99 €uros at my local shops (even the newer ones like Rome:TW and Medieval 2).

why not
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

You can always try to vote for the MTW and Shogun I on GOG. They can make it work on a new pc for a very reasonable price. Eventually, CA could release a source code .

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You can always try to vote for the MTW and Shogun I on GOG. They can make it work on a new pc for a very reasonable price. Eventually, CA could release a source code .
    Good suggestion, Stazi.

This topic has been discussed extensively here.

It would definitely re-infuse some community interest in the game if CA released the source code. That CA would do this is unlikely, imo, since the game is part of the eras package –– still in stores –– and, thus, still a commodity.

All the same, it's good that these conversations are happening. Let's cross our collective fingers.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; January 15, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Im also agree, to become again popular one old game must be free!

I wonder what will say CA about this???

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I'd love for them to go on GOG and would buy them both without hesitation.

It would be a great chance for younger gamers who started out with Rome/MTW2 to play them and see what the series was like in it's peak before it started to decline.

+1

Simply fixing STW & MTW so that they could run on modern video cards would alone be reason enough for me to purchase them again. In turn, that might encourage those who started the series playing the newer games to check out these old gems as well (as you said).
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Icon7 Re: Petition for Shogun/Medieval as abandonwares ?

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    +1

Simply fixing STW & MTW so that they could run on modern video cards would alone be reason enough for me to purchase them again. In turn, that might encourage those who started the series playing the newer games to check out these old gems as well (as you said).
    By the way Im trying to run MTW:VI with Windows 2000 compatibility and I will post here if this works. About this fix (probably future fix) Im agree also.

Indefinitely Banned
    From Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Living in Milpitas, California, USA.

Yes they should. Download it for free.