Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: NEW: Gondor Unit Overhaul V2.0 for TATW 3.2

Default Re: Gondor Armour Upgrades v1.1 with a NEW unit - Gondor Levies (compatible with BS5.0)

A quick preview of what will come in the next update:

Gondor Militia (no upgrades - leather):

- Model reworked (introduced leather vest, minor glitch fixes of vanilla model)
    - Only basic helmets
    - New textures
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gondor Militia (1 upgrade - chainmail):

- Only low quality gondorian helmets
    - New pauldrons model and textures

Gondor Militia (2 upgrades - advanced chainmail):

- Weapons and Armour of higher quality (rust removed)
    - Metal pauldrons and vambraces
    - Gondorian helmets of higher quality with feather textures
    - New shield model (spent entire morning making it from scratch)
    - New shield textures (different from professional troops, this one is made from painted wood, not full metal)

Gondor Militia (3 upgrades - partial plate):

- Full frontal plate armour (no plate armour on the back)
    - New plates model (not copied)
    - Base texture for plates was taken from the King Kong's textures and modified

Cavalry Militia essentially have same models and textures as gondor militia, so i will show only 3rd upgrade:

As always, many credits to King Kong and the team for original textures and models.

I like to make my own parts and textures and try to minimize any using of vanilla TATW textures. However, to save time and due to being not good at drawing some textures were used such as chainmail, plates, and ornament on the clothes. Most of the textures though were made from scratch by drawing or photos from google images. This statement holds true for all of the contents of this submod.

Next version 1.2 will also contain same/similar models for archers and levies.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 24, 2012 at 07:26 AM.

Default Re: Gondor Armour Upgrades v1.1 with a NEW unit - Gondor Levies (compatible with BS5.0)

Wanted to push the preview to the next page. Ended up having 2 posts. Never mind. Moderators delete this second post if you need to. Preview coming up in a few minutes.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 24, 2012 at 01:14 AM.

Default Re: Gondor Armour Upgrades v1.1 (Preview of v1.2 on Page 9)

Very nice. At the moment I play a campaigne with Dale, but after that I will try Gondor again, with your units. With TATW3.1 Gondor is a bit dull, since it takes long time, before higher tier units get available, imho. But, with the Armour Upgrad, it will get more excited.
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Man, that is great! Those units look fantastic!

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

incredible! best looking units for gondor so far in the history of tatw imo

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm going to be honest. I like the look of the units but I liked the previous version more. Why, you may ask? The militia with all upgrades looked good, yet still vastly distinct from the professional soldiers. I like shields of the previous version more, specifically, and the armor textures on the previous version were different enough (specifically the upper arm/shoulder area) that they still looked like militia. This version is looking more and more like the professional class.

But my complaint is more about the 3rd armor upgrade version than the others, and the shield as well. They look great, I just am of the opinion that the first version is better.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Shields with 3 stars around the top, belowthat is there room for R:ND:L?, (Sigil of the Stewards, means servent of the King)
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

why I can't see the unit description or name?
    I did as the readme said

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Generalpatton334's Avatar Foederatus

Is possible to get rid of the tan on the legs because it makes like they aren't wearing pants and that doesn't seem kind of smart especially if your fully armored

Excellent progress. My only suggestion for improvement would be the leather spaulder's textures and the leather vest. The leather just doesn't look natural to me.

Just tried to install your mod to Baron 5.0 + Ill Ducce Map Mod for Baron 5.0. It doesn't work. Most likely because of 2 files.

export_descr_buildings.txt
    descr_strat.txt

Those files will be used by Ill Ducce as well. I guess it's because of descr_strat.txt. Could you tell what you changed in descr_strat.txt? If it's just defining some garrison with your new units, than it shouldn't be a problem if I do not copy your descr_strat.txt file over those from Baron 5.0 + extended map mod. Or, am I wrong?
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

It's because of both. I would suggest opening both export_descr_buildings with winmerge and copy the gondor levies recruit_pools to the Expanded map version. I would keep Il Ducce's descr_strat, it's easier

Nice work...it will explain why Gondor hevy armed infantry fights like militia....because militia without enought training fight in hevy equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    It's because of both. I would suggest opening both export_descr_buildings with winmerge and copy the gondor levies recruit_pools to the Expanded map version. I would keep Il Ducce's descr_strat, it's easier
    Well, I will try to merge exxport_descr_buildings. I tried it meanwhile manually, but failed. Though I have to download winmerge, first I suppose.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

It's an unmissable tool for coders . Gimme a vm if you need any more help

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Excellent progress. My only suggestion for improvement would be the leather spaulder's textures and the leather vest. The leather just doesn't look natural to me.
    Is that due to the detail being too high?, and at a high screen resolution makeing it look less authentic?.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

Worked very well. I can now play Gondor Armour Upgrad V1.1, with Baron 5.0 and Ill Ducce Map Mod.

They look great! Really love the new models. Just a couple of things:

-Love the new tier0 and tier1 textures. You might have overdone the tier1 pauldrons though... They look somewhat weird in brown... Maybe switch them to a shorter version? Try Removing the lower section, or make it silvery so it "integrates better" with the chainmail. As it is it kinda stands out a tad too much...

-I really (REALLY!) like the current tier2 upgrade textures... The navy blue tabards with the white tree particularly. It gives them a nice "evolved" look between "plain chainmail" (tier1) and "plate" (tier3). It's actually my favorite of the current textures... Also it looks good as an in-between the more rough-looking brownish ones and the "shiny" plates... Will miss it if it goes away...

-As it's been pointed out, the tier3 looks a bit too much like the current professional soldiers. I don't know if this is intended, but I like the current feel of "really good militia" distinct from "professional". Not a gamebreaking issue though...

-I really like the new shields on tier1 and tier2, as it shows the "militia" character of the units. But shouldn't tier3 get the metal ones? I mean if they went all the way into giving them plate armor (yeah partial, but still plated), surely they can afford metal shields too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Generalpatton334 View Post
    Is possible to get rid of the tan on the legs because it makes like they aren't wearing pants and that doesn't seem kind of smart especially if your fully armored
    -This too^^

Apart from that great job! loved what you did with the helmets and the shields (non tier 3 ^^). This submod keeps getting better and better!
    Last edited by Pipoka; January 25, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I'm going to be honest. I like the look of the units but I liked the previous version more. Why, you may ask? The militia with all upgrades looked good, yet still vastly distinct from the professional soldiers. I like shields of the previous version more, specifically, and the armor textures on the previous version were different enough (specifically the upper arm/shoulder area) that they still looked like militia. This version is looking more and more like the professional class.

But my complaint is more about the 3rd armor upgrade version than the others, and the shield as well. They look great, I just am of the opinion that the first version is better.
    I was thinking about it too. But for the hell of it, decided to try. Otherwise, if there is not much changes with each upgrades... it would not feel that they get upgraded. The main reason i started reworking initial design was because of the old ug0 and ug1 (v1.0), they seemed quite bad to me when i started playing campaign. After i edited those, i decided to extend the work onto ug2 and ug3. The ug1's pauldrons still look bad, i know. I am not good at drawing leather and such. Tried different things, could not get it right. I never really saw leather pauldrons implemented in M2TW and how they are supposed to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    Shields with 3 stars around the top, belowthat is there room for R:ND:L?, (Sigil of the Stewards, means servent of the King)
    Could you provided an image for that please? Tried googling, nothing really useful. So the idea is to show that militia are under steward's command? What if Aragorn comes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    why I can't see the unit description or name?
    I did as the readme said
    There is a file called "export units.txt" in "data/text" folder. It is responsible for unit descriptions and such. However the name is indicated in the "export_descr_unit.txt" file. If you cant see the name properly, means you did not install it correctly. Try redownloading and copying data into your TATW folder. Overwrite everything. Backups are there with "_backup" added to them (for vanilla TATW3.1).

Quote Originally Posted by Generalpatton334 View Post
    Not sure what exactly do you mean. Is it the white/beige colored legs on all of them? It is supposed to be cloth texture. Those are from vanilla TATW, did not change that. How exactly should they look otherwise? Looks fine to me. Will probably remove whiter legs from ug2 and ug3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    I also hate leather pauldrons, the vest though seemed ok to me. I used actual leather texture from google images, but probably the resolution is too high, should have made it smaller. Unfortunately i overwrited the .psd file having layers of shadows and such, ended up having plane texture. Need to redo it completely... which i dont feel like doing right now. I am thinking of removing leather pauldrons completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipoka View Post
    -Love the new tier0 and tier1 textures. You might have overdone the tier1 pauldrons though... They look somewhat weird in brown... Maybe switch them to a shorter version? Try Removing the lower section, or make it silvery so it "integrates better" with the chainmail. As it is it kinda stands out a tad too much...
    I am same opinion regarding leather pauldrons. I just dont know how to make it better. The metal ones are ok it seems, but the leather ones will either go or i will try to rework the textures sometime later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipoka View Post
    -I really like the new shields on tier1 and tier2, as it shows the "militia" character of the units. But shouldn't tier3 get the metal ones? I mean if they went all the way into giving them plate armor (yeah partial, but still plated), surely they can afford metal shields too right?
    Hmm. I could make them metal by simply removing the black stripes. In the movies soldiers have metal shields with black paint on them if i see it correctly. Will it look better though?

Really good suggestions, people!

Its in UT and mentioned by JRRT as how the stewards sigil appears in print.
    http://www.lotrplaza.com/archive5/di...PagePosition=2
    I have a suggestion for an icon: the seal of the Stewards, which is the tengwar R•ND•R with three stars above it.

Its Arandur 'king's servant'., and a quick net search gives http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/File:Flag..._of_Gondor.png

RoTK means all the colours are reversed on flags etc from that of they Stewards who use white flags, so most symbols are already using RoTK colours, ( like they are in the 3rd film which shows a mix) and pretty much outside of worrying to much about as all settlemnets would be using the wrong flags to start with!.
    Last edited by Hanny; January 25, 2012 at 06:27 PM.