Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW: Gondor Unit Overhaul V2.0 for TATW 3.2

Default Re: Gondor Visual Armour Upgrades (Basic Militia)

Quote Originally Posted by campesino View Post
    hi, i thought that i had quoted you in an early post, but it didnt appear in mine, i am responding to your post about this modification being compatible with AUM extra units using the file that you provided, ive tried reinstalling because i love your units and also love the ones in that mod but i had no sucess, when i use gondor milita in battle i get and unexpected error.
    This is a little more difficult.

Everything has to be done by hand, no over writing.

I think though no expert, that you need to start with the AUM.

hand modify the modeldb which is a bit touchy make backups and check the tutorials, then modify the EDU by hand as well, Gondor militia units smith and upgrade lines only.

you will also have to add the meshes from this mod by hand as well, deleting the vanilla meshes. I am not sure about this though some one smarter should confirm.

Check posts 52 and 57 they have files there that may fit your needs. Do this first actually!!!
    Last edited by muller227; January 06, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

This is a really nice mod, those partial plate shots look superb I would love to see similar work done for other factions, say for the dalesmen rivermen swordsmen and longbowmen of dale and for the spear militia and archer militia of eriador and arnor. very nice work!
    Goth
    Last edited by Goth; January 06, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Civis

hi! thats the one i used. clean third age 3.1 plus aum plus the file in post 52 the result is that every unit works fine except gondor militia witch causes a ctd, the last line of the log is
    17:16:22.300 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

campesino,

Hi again. Last time I downloaded the latest AUM version and edited both EDU and battle_models.modeldb files. It should have worked in theory. Are you using the latest version of AUM? If yes, then I will have to look at the files again and test it on my TATW first. I will try to do it soon, but I do not have time at the moment and do not promise it will work 100%. Is there anyone else who has AUM and could test it? Help would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goth View Post
    This is a really nice mod, those partial plate shots look superb I would love to see similar work done for other factions, say for the dalesmen rivermen swordsmen and longbowmen of dale and for the spear militia and archer militia of eriador and arnor. very nice work!
    Goth
    I started with Gondor as it is one of the most played factions. I do want to work on other units as well, but semester is starting... will see how it goes.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 06, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALHIMIK View Post

I started with Gondor as it is one of the most played factions. I do want to work on other units as well, but semester is starting... will see how it goes.
    We'll have a doctor write you a note...That way you can spend as much time as you need on this
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

campesino,

Hi again. Last time I downloaded the latest AUM version and edited both EDU and battle_models.modeldb files. It should have worked in theory. Are you using the latest version of AUM? If yes, then I will have to look at the files again and test it on my TATW first. I will try to do it soon, but I do not have time at the moment and do not promise it will work 100%. Is there anyone else who has AUM and could test it? Help would be very much appreciated.

BS mod does not use the latest AUM, and has other models, so that i believe is the issue. You need to re word the op about what its compatable with, as the BS file will always return the unspecified error at prresent when applied to 3.1 and BS 4.1.

From your post itv appears you made it compartable with AUM latest version.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    BS mod does not use the latest AUM, and has other models, so that i believe is the issue. You need to re word the op about what its compatable with, as the BS file will always return the unspecified error at prresent when applied to 3.1 and BS 4.1.

From your post itv appears you made it compartable with AUM latest version.
    I made a version for AUM, which I downloaded and edited the files, but have not tested myself. The BS version in op was compiled by one good person one or two pages before. I added his name in op. I did not test it myself as there were problems with BS at that time. Some other people confirmed that it works for BS, so I added download link in the op.

Are you having ctds when installing the mode version for BS from the link in op? Seems rather odd as a couple of people reported it works. I did not add AUM version into the op because people reported it is not working, and it was intended for the latest AUM version only (not with other submods like BS). I also am not sure if AUM have updated their files for 3.1. So the problem might be there for those trying to run it on AUM.

If I am not wrong BS contains AUM submod. Then there is wisdom in installing BS and using version for BS only.

At this moment I want to focus on finishing the new unit. All the rest have to wait. There is no point in making more versions for all kinds of submods when I am planning another release this or next week.

After a couple of crazy days pass I will have some more time on this. About the doctor notes , there is no attendance checking in our uni. However my final year project is starting this week. But hey, they cannot take my evenings. Will see how it goes.

I made a version for AUM, which I downloaded and edited the files, but have not tested myself. The BS version in op was compiled by one good person one or two pages before. I added his name in op. I did not test it myself as there were problems with BS at that time. Some other people confirmed that it works for BS, so I added download link in the op.
    To clarify, 3.1 vanila works with no problem, the BS 4.1 always shows a unspecified error ( pretty sure its a model DB issue but if its from BS or your additions is anyones guess as!).
    Are you having ctds when installing the mode version for BS from the link in op? Seems rather odd as a couple of people reported it works. I did not add AUM version into the op because people reported it is not working, and it was intended for the latest AUM version only (not with other submods like BS). I also am not sure if AUM have updated their files for 3.1. So the problem might be there for those trying to run it on AUM.
    Vanilla works fine, but OP BS 4.1 during battle, when loading at about a third of the way through comes up with the error, ie when looking at models. As long as it works with vanila, i would not worry about other mods till your role out multi factions with upgrades.

If I am not wrong BS contains AUM submod. Then there is wisdom in installing BS and using version for BS only.
    AUM in BS 4.1 is different from curent AUM, which may have been the problem when you looked at it, but as i wrote, best to get it for vanilla only at present, and worry about incoporating with BS version 5 later on, since you are both moving forwards a pace.

At this moment I want to focus on finishing the new unit. All the rest have to wait. There is no point in making more versions for all kinds of submods when I am planning another release this or next week.
    Agreed. Do you intend to add custom voices?, the BFME of any number of its mods have voice sounds that you could add, or would that be better done all together later?, after the graqphic side is done.

Looking forward to your next release.

After a couple of crazy days pass I will have some more time on this. About the doctor notes , there is no attendance checking in our uni. However my final year project is starting this week. But hey, they cannot take my evenings. Will see how it goes.
    There several mods already that have models for Gondor, if your pushed or time, why not consider combining with them, adding upgrades to existing units would save you some effort.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

AUM in BS 4.1 is different from curent AUM, which may have been the problem when you looked at it, but as i wrote, best to get it for vanilla only at present, and worry about incoporating with BS version 5 later on, since you are both moving forwards a pace.
    Agreed, i hope BS will include it in his next patch.

Agreed. Do you intend to add custom voices?, the BFME of any number of its mods have voice sounds that you could add, or would that be better done all together later?, after the graqphic side is done.
    I think they will have gondor militia voices as for now, if that is allowed. BFME stands for battle for middle earth, EA real-time strategy game?

There several mods already that have models for Gondor, if your pushed or time, why not consider combining with them, adding upgrades to existing units would save you some effort.
    I rather do it slowly myself. What mods do you have in mind? Please provide a link. Those mods usually already have some visual armor upgrades, while 90% of vanilla do not. Or other mods that add very special units are not worth the effort because these units are not used much in game.

Any suggestions/requests regarding spearmens look? Now they look rather simple: a base model, 3 kinds of spears and a round shield similar to rohan's. I was thinking of adding some attachments like bags belts capes etc. A cape looks good, but it is not consistent with other militia. Unless these units would be special, which they are not. A belt looks good. Something similar to the other militia's belts. But then if there is no attachments on belt what's the point. How about a little axe hanging on a belt going from shoulder to hips? I do not know, may be its too much for a basic unit.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 07, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

I think they will have gondor militia voices as for now, if that is allowed. BFME stands for battle for middle earth, EA real-time strategy game?
    Yes, if you look at filefront frommods for BFME1/2 you will see custom voices and stock voices, as well as plenty of graphics for ideas!, you iirc need the BIG file reader, also from filefront, if you dont hyave copy of BFME.

I rather do it slowly myself. What mods do you have in mind? Please provide a link. Those mods usually already have some visual armor upgrades, while 90% of vanilla do not. Or other mods that add very special units are not worth the effort because these units are not used much in game.
    Example
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=513244

Any suggestions/requests regarding spearmens look? Now they look rather simple: a base model, 3 kinds of spears and a round shield similar to rohan's. I was thinking of adding some attachments like bags belts capes etc. A cape looks good, but it is not consistent with other militia. Unless these units would be special, which they are not. A belt looks good. Something similar to the other militia's belts. But then if there is no attachments on belt what's the point. How about a little axe hanging on a belt going from shoulder to hips? I do not know, may be its too much for a basic unit.
    My pref would be to mimic existing Militia, only changing the weapon, so as to maintain uniform look for units.

Hi ! amazing mod ! I was looking for something like this for a long time.

Can you make it compatible with the Baron Samedi's Compilation plz ?

If you are taking orders, my thought was Breeland militia, I like the eriador concept more than Arnor strange I know, I actually like the Bree troops but wished for a very long time for visual upgrades.

Anyway keep up the good work whatever you choose to do.

Causing some issues with Steam, CTD upon starting. Anyone else have this issue?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brymht View Post
    I did. The problem was the data folder you're supposed to add didn't do it automatically when I extracted it to the folder. I went back and added each and every thing in the downloaded file to each of their respective destinations and it worked after that. But idk if that's your problem.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

will give it a shot. ty

Here is a quick preview of the new gondor levies unit:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I will reply to your posts, people. Semester has started, already a bit late for the first lecture. Will be back in a couple of hours.

PS: levies won!

Blog Entries

When you get back could we get a pic of them when they are not preparing to attack? Just standing straight up?

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I liked the unit but the faces are not good. You should use other faces with better quality.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

I think they are very good, but I agree the faces need better quality. other than that great job. will these have more armour upgrades?

Agreed about the faces, did not have time to change them. I used same/similar faces as other militia this time. Had to edit them a little bit. As per your request, here are some screenshots with the units standing straight:

And a closer look at the spears:

The main idea was to keep them light and yet similar to other gondorian militia troops. Tried to make them not standing out visually from the rest of the army.

The unit is planned to have another two upgrades, that is from cloth -> leather -> light chainmail. Making their texturing will be relatively easy as there is a base to start from. I will update the first post with details about the model and textures, and release the next version including these units once their ug1 and ug2 textures are done. King Kong requested to add informaiton on what textures and models were used in the submod. I will do so when the next version comes.

Some info/discussion on texture parts:

- Helmets: Only basic helmets, gondorian helmets are planned to come with next upgrades (ug1 and ug2)
    - Heads: Still needs some work. Tried to use the same/similar textures as for other militia units. Ears are a bit off. But it is very hard to get them right. I was trying to get the best position possible, do not want to waste too much time on that, as it is not very noticable.
    - Spears: seem a little too shiny. Will probably darken the textures a little bit.
    - Shields: What about the stripes? The intention was to show the shields are wooden with paint on them. Should I remove it and keep it same as on archers? Also note the shields metal textures were made silverish, not yellowish.
    - Legs: base textures are from vanilla M2TW, were edited slightly to make legs less covered to amphasize lightness of the unit (armor upgrade level 0, which is cloth).
    - Body: Three types. Two have similar green/blue mat jacket with white/gray cotton shirt underneath. The third has white padded armor, I really like the ones on the archers, tried to make something similar. Also a blue shirt underneath with some ornaments.

Must have forgotten something...

Replies:

Yes, if you look at filefront frommods for BFME1/2 you will see custom voices and stock voices, as well as plenty of graphics for ideas!, you iirc need the BIG file reader, also from filefront, if you dont hyave copy of BFME.
    Example
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=513244
    My pref would be to mimic existing Militia, only changing the weapon, so as to maintain uniform look for units.
    I will not work with sounds yet. About other mods, someone already wanted to combine efforts and work together, not sure about it, will see... As for looks, I also like the visual coherence of units in the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldamat View Post
    Can you make it compatible with the Baron Samedi's Compilation plz ?
    There is a version available for download in the first post, have not tested myself, but some people reported it works.

Quote Originally Posted by muller227 View Post
    If you are taking orders, my thought was Breeland militia, I like the eriador concept more than Arnor strange I know, I actually like the Bree troops but wished for a very long time for visual upgrades.
    Not orders, but suggestion/ideas/discussions all appreaciated. Initially I wanted to work with FPoE, then decided to start with Gondor first. Once I am done with Gondor... may be. I do not want to give high expectations and then fail to accomplish them.

Quote Originally Posted by brymht View Post
    Probably there are other submods installed. It will not work simply by overwriting, need to do it manually.

To all other about the faces, they should look much better now.
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; January 09, 2012 at 11:44 AM.