Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW: Gondor Unit Overhaul V2.0 for TATW 3.2

Default NEW: Gondor Unit Overhaul V2.0 for TATW 3.2

Gondor Unit Overhaul v2.0 for TATW 3.2 (Save Compatible!)
    [Previously known as Gondor Armour Upgrades]

What started as a small armour upgrades mod two years ago is now a complete rework of all Gondor units from scratch. This is a purely aesthetical mod, meaning it is save compatible and does not affect any other aspects of the game.

If you are sick of long turn times of heavy submod compilations, lags and fps drops on battlefields and want to simply enjoy a vanilla Gondor campaign with new units once more, this is for you. The poly count in these models varies between 2000 to 3000 from unit to unit. This is a little more than most vanilla M2TW models of about 1500-2000 polys. This is much less than other vanilla TATW units (~3000-4000 polys) or in submod compilations (i didn't even bother checking, some models go up to and beyond 10000 polys). Expect less fps drops on battlefield.

Changelog
    v2.0:
    - replaced all previous models and all vanilla models with new made from scratch models
    - technically this is a completely new overhaul: new textures, new sprites, new unit cards, new unit info cards
    - renamed to Gondor Unit Overhaul.

v1.2:
    - now every upgrade has a unique model (separate .mesh file, total of 15 meshes)
    - reworked all militia texture files (24 .texture files)
    - new sprites for each upgrade (try zooming out and see how there is less difference between 3d to 2d transition)
    - UI reworked (new unit cards and unit info pictures)

v1.1:
    - introduces a new unit - Gondor Levies, basic spearmen unit
    - levies are available in tier 1 barracks, gondor militia are only available in tier 2 barracks or better
    - starting armour of gondor militia and gondor cavalry militia were reduced by 1 (balancing feature and to resemble leather armour, not chainmail)
    - blacksmith in Minas Tirith was replaced by leather tanner to prevent instant access to fully upgraded gondor levies, also a balancing feature
    - starting gondor militia units were replaced with levies in some settlements on campaign map
    - levies have default militia sounds

v1.0:
    - three armour upgrades to all Gondor militia units (swordsmen, archers and mounted)
    - miltia now start with leather armour instead of chainmail, but can get upgraded up to partial plate

Preview
    Not all units/models are shown here.

Gondor Infantry/Spearmen Upgrade

Gondor Archers

Gondor Archers Upgrade

Citadel Guard

Osgiliath Pikemen

General and his Bodyguards

Militia

Militia Upgrade

Archer Militia

Archer Militia Upgrade

Ithilien Rangers

Lossarnach Axemen

Pelargir Marines

Swan Knights

Download Links and Installation v2.0 for clean TATW 3.2: DOWNLOAD

To install: simply unpack the file and put the "data" folder into your TATW 3.2 directory, must be Medieval II Total War/mods/Third_Age_3/...

To uninstall: simply delete the battle_models.modeldb in Third_Age_3/data/unit_models folder and rename battle_models_backup.modeldb into battle_models.modeldb. As simple as that.

It is an open source material, as long as appropriate credit is given and the work is not attributed to someone else. I give permission to use the models in any M2TW mods. This time I will not be releasing texture source files though.

I will not be doing any TATW related stuff any time soon. This is the final version. Enjoy.

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; June 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Default Re: Gondor Visual Armour Upgrades (Basic Militia)

this is totaly great I love this... I hope someone sometimes made something like this for basic high elve,dale and rhun units

if there would be an option to give you 1000000 rep,I would do it

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Excellent! I await the other models with great interest
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Outstanding! I hope you get permission to publish this mod, it adds a lot to Gondor. + rep

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Awesome work mate! This is really good! I like visual armour upgrades

Edit: Before uploading anything you should ask permission from King Kong. Or was the gondor militia from a submod? Look in the credits under "included submods". I believe there is one called "reworked gondor militia". You should also ask permission from the creator of that.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by killersmurf View Post
    Edit: Before uploading anything you should ask permission from King Kong. Or was the gondor militia from a submod? Look in the credits under "included submods". I believe there is one called "reworked gondor militia". You should also ask permission from the creator of that.
    Yeah ^^
    To get closed down right after you have it uploaded is just a drag

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I may be wrong but the new 3.0 allows this with some basic editing of the EDU. The Militia smith and upgrade lines can be easily altered to allow this using models already in game. The ownership and and modeldb files already support it. The first upgrade may not be supported but 2nd and 3rd will give the visual effect of Gondor Infantry upgrading. The work is great especially the first upgrade which I really like.

I realize the the images are bit different but not so much especially the infantry, the archers are really cool.

Most mods create new units, where I think the base units would suffice with proper upgrade textures and skins. I definately IMO think this kind of thing on the right track. It would also simplify modding as many of the basic files would not need adjusted.

This is my opinion only, I have a lamentable tendancy to form attachments to units I get at the game start.
    Last edited by muller227; January 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

You may not edit a model without permission (unless for personal use, but release public is another matter), AFAIK changing skins for the models in question is part of the limits. To make stat changes is perfectly alright but before releasing changes in the visual of the unit itself one have to ask first. A good work with a proper request will hopefully meet no problem
    Last edited by Ngugi; January 01, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I'm honestly not sure about the balance, three levels look like A LOT of improvement to me, but god they look great! The implementation of the second armor upgrade (the chainmail one with pauldrons) visual in vanilla, without expanding the upgrade tree to insane levels, would be visually pleasing, yet absolutely transparent in terms of gameplay. If i may give some criticism, however, the texture of this chainmail with bigger rings doesn't look as good as the previous one, in terms of pure visual quality, plus, i'm not sure that better chainmails were historicaly made of bigger rings (though i don't know much about historical armor crafting, tbh )
    Last edited by Khay; January 01, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    I'm honestly not sure about the balance, three levels look like A LOT of improvement to me, but god they look great!
    Balance is certainly a question though such visual upgrades would not effect attack values. Certainly historically well equipped militia units with a great deal of combat history were more than a match for newly raised professional units. The 36th Texas NG in WW2 was an elite unit by all considerations, it of course was one the very first NG divisions committed to battle and its history is impressive.

A high XP militia unit with professional upgrades should match a fresh professional unit.

salmonpetsku's Avatar Laetus

I like those visual upgrades. Especially those steel shields. But few things disturbs me & those are helmets and plate armor.

I think its quite ""unrealistic" that militia units have two kind of helmets, the nasal (norman helmet) and gondorian helmet. Armour values of those two helmets are quite different. So I have a suggestion that ug 0 & 1 have norman helmet and ug2 & 3 gondorian helmet.

And about plate armor. Historically plate armors were very expensive and took long time to manufacture and only the richest could afford them. And militias are commoners, farmers and normal cityfolk who didn't have so much wealth. Good plate armor would cost much more than their whole fortune. And militias are fast gathered, quickly trained defensive forces whose task wast to protect their homes, not to fight wars of conquest. So it would be waste of money and resources to equip every militia with plate armor. Even chainmail to every militia would be very expensive. Gondor isn't that rich, even Numenor wasn't that rich. Partial plate was far more common but most common part were pauldrons (shoulder armor) and gorget (throat armor) with chainmail and gambeson. So IMO last armor upgrade should be chainmail with shoulder plates.

But keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by salmonpetsku View Post
    I like those visual upgrades. Especially those steel shields. But few things disturbs me & those are helmets and plate armor.

I think its quite ""unrealistic" that militia units have two kind of helmets, the nasal (norman helmet) and gondorian helmet. Armour values of those two helmets are quite different. So I have a suggestion that ug 0 & 1 have norman helmet and ug2 & 3 gondorian helmet.

And about plate armor. Historically plate armors were very expensive and took long time to manufacture and only the richest could afford them. And militias are commoners, farmers and normal cityfolk who didn't have so much wealth. Good plate armor would cost much more than their whole fortune. And militias are fast gathered, quickly trained defensive forces whose task wast to protect their homes, not to fight wars of conquest. So it would be waste of money and resources to equip every militia with plate armor. Even chainmail to every militia would be very expensive. Gondor isn't that rich, even Numenor wasn't that rich. Partial plate was far more common but most common part were pauldrons (shoulder armor) and gorget (throat armor) with chainmail and gambeson. So IMO last armor upgrade should be chainmail with shoulder plates.

But keep up the good work
    Historically wealthy societies often equipped their militia very well equal to or greater than professional military societies they faced. Thebes and Athens militia often possessed cuirasses of some kind while the much more professional warrior elite of Sparta did not.

Wealthy states often subsidized militias either in the form of tax relief (pretty major in the Middle Ages), or outright gifts or reduced costs of purchase. This of course could be replicated by increasing upgrade costs in the EDU or the cost in building necessary smithing levels.
    Last edited by muller227; January 01, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonpetsku View Post
    I think this is a good idea! And your work is quite impressive especialy the UG3 is great and I would like to see more armor upgrades for the Gondor units.

And think about this, militia units are used when there is a lack of professional troops but if a militia unit fights for years and become highly experienced why shouldn't they become a "regular" unit and therefore get better equipment?

I hope you can release your work!

Icon1 Re: Gondor Visual Armour Upgrades (Basic Militia)

ALHIMIK: Not only is it a great idea but the units also look great.
    As killersmurf stated, you need to ask King Kong permission before you release a sub mod that alters any of the textures or Models of TATW.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Very nice project. Looking forward to a release.

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

This looks promising, but I have a few suggestions.

As said before, standardize the helmet models you use so that the proper Gondorian helmets don't get mixed in the the lower-quality ones.

I would recommend that you remove the metal shield texture. It looks cool, but armor upgrades don't affect the unit's shield stat, so it seems silly to upgrade the shields but not have that reflected in the unit's stats.

You should see if you can implement the faces used for the core Gondorian troops, as those are of a much higher quality than the ones for the militia units.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

This looks really nice, but I dont think the last upgrade should be quite so heavy.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I love the idea, especially the last tier militia with those beautifull shields

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

very good, i like the idea

TW_User's Avatar Libertus

Great work
    I hope you get permission to publish the mod.
    German Medieval: 2 Total War Freak and Modder

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast