Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 5.0 - Version 1.2 released!!!

Maestro Ugo's Avatar Civis

Default ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 5.0 - Version 1.2 released!!!

Improved Corruption System 1.2.

Good people of the middle earth, I bring you ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW 3.1!

Introduction
    ICS is aimed at those TATW players who find the corruption in the last release to be just a tad too strong and the economy just a tad too difficult to handle. The effects of this submod are aimed to be slight but noticeable - It will not make your game much easier, just help you a bit when it comes to dealing with corruption.

Ah corruption! This dreaded game concept, in my opinion, plays an important part in TW series in that it severely restricts the huge factions from becoming ultra-rich once they own half the world and makes the governance of distant provinces harder. In vanilla M2TW this is all nice, but in mods such as TATW (and several others) where the economy has been nerfed and players have to prioritize and work hard to establish a fully functional empire, corruption might be a bit too strong even for smaller factions. The cheap, easy and dirty way of dealing with this would be to simply reduce corruption across the board, or make the distance to capitol play a smaller role - but these are not the kinds of solutions I was looking for as they would make the game far too easy.

Governors
    Generals that administer settlements in TATW can get some help fighting against corruption, most noticeably through the GoodAdministrator trait series. This trait is very hard to obtain as it requires the character in question to govern a province on high or very high taxes while certain actions (like finishing buildings) are being preformed.

ICS adds a new trait - GoodGovernor. This trait represent the ability of a character to manage distant and problematic provinces. For every turn a character ends in a province that is far away from the capitol, he gets a small chance of improving his Governor skill. This chance is modified by the distance to the capitol in the sense that it's higher for more distant provinces. There are four levels of this trait:

Novice Governor (reduces corruption by about 10%)
    Competent Governor (reduces corruption by about 20%)
    Experienced Governor (reduces corruption by about 30%)
    Expert Governor (reduces corruption by about 40%)

As there is no way of modeling corruption reduction directly, this trait combines Law and Unrest effects to produce the corruption reduction effect. Increasing Law increases public order and decreases corruption while increasing Unrest decreases public order. All the levels are balanced in such a way that net effect on public order is always 0%, and thus only the corruption reduction effect is present.

This trait represents the fact that a character who has more experience in governing a distant settlement with rampant corruption will become better at it over time. The speed of learning this skill might be adjusted in the future versions of the mod, but the idea is that most governors of very distant provinces should get to capable after 80 turns or so, and just a handful should reach Skilled and Superb levels in that same time. I have calibrated this carefully as characters in TATW live for a long time and I don't want this trait to be too common.

Concluding Remarks
    This system should provide decent reduction in corruption without the need for any micromanagement. It applies to both player and the AI, so the AI will get the same bonuses. The idea is to make characters governing in provinces actually useful, I hate it when I see player's armies with 10 family members running around, and cities left ungoverned - I don't believe the game was meant to be played like that. Please try this out and tell me what you think!

Compatibility with other mods
    This mod changes the following files:
    export_descr_character_traits.txt
    text/export_VnVs.txt

It will thus not be compatible with any mods that change the above (should only conflict with mods that add traits in the game). There are, however, two versions of the mod, one for vanilla TATW3.1 and one for Baron Samedi's compilation 5.0.

Special thanks
    Special thanks go to makanyane, Gigantus and especially TNZ and Withwnar for their great help in making me understand the b.i.t.c.h that is the campaign script a bit better.

Version History
    1.0 -> 1.1
    -Added the 4th level of the trait
    -Renamed trait levels to represent the gathering of experience
    -The trait now influences only corruption reduction and not public order (by introducing Unrest effects)
    -Increased the overall effect on corruption reduction (It will still be moderate even in the later part of the game)
    -Completely rewrote the DistanceToCapital triggers (as using > than but < than doesn't seem to work)
    -Added the small chance of the trait improving if the character manages in a city with overwhelming foreign culture
    -Trait should now only improve for characters who do nothing else that turn (not 100% sure this works)

1.1 -> 1.2
    -Removed the provincial capitol building for several reasons:
    1) I was unable to squeeze it in Baron's due to building limit and didn't want to sustain two versions of the mod.
    2) This way the player and the AI are treated exactly the same
    3) Players complained about too much micromanagement
    -Made the governor trait more common (because the building is omitted)

OBSOLETE - Not relevant for current version

Provincial Capitol
    Provincial Capitol is the second concept this mod introduces. It is a building that, when fully developed, represents a network of administrative and bureaucratic facilities that helps manage distant regions. It acts as a capitol-away-from-the-capitol in that it greatly reduces corruption and increases order in the city in which it is built and highly increases the training rate of capable governors to deal with corruption. The catch is that you can build only one of these in your realm. There are three levels of the building:

Provincial Governor (requires large town)
    Provincial Government (requires city)
    Provincial Capitol (requires large city)

A fully developed Provincial Capitol gets strong reduction in corruption and greatly increases the chance of characters stationed in the city to advance in the governor trait. This city will act as your distant center as you will send characters there whom you wish to govern surrounding regions for training.

Some Caveats
    1) I have not yet been able to completely ensure that only one Provincial Capitol is built. Once the first level (Governor) if finished, you can't build it anywhere else but before it is finished (in the same turn) you can. It theory, you could Start production of several Provincial Governors or que them in different settlements - until this issue is resolved I apply to your decency not to build the first level in more than one city (That is one of the reasons the build time for the first level is only one turn).

2) Provincial Capitol is player only building - the AI cannot build it. This was done to ensure you don't conquer Provincial capitols from other factions. AI characters will, however, advance in the GoodGovernor trait. AI gets his bonuses for money anyway.

3) For the time being the building is disabled for re-emergent Arnor. If you build it as Eriador you can still use it as Arnor, you just can't build a new one when you change countries. I'm trying to solve this issue also so it might be possible in further versions of the mod.

4) There are different pictures of the building for human, elven and orchis factions as well as for dwarves. I'm still polishing them out so they are not perfect, especially for Rhun and Harad.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Download & Install instructions
    Download the zip file and extract it to your /Third_Age_3 folder.
    ICS 1.1 for TATW3.1. - DOWNLOAD
    ICS 1.1 for Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0 (only with bugfix 1.6) - DOWNLOAD
    !!!Important notice!!! Due to the building tree limit being reached in Baron Samedi's Compilation that version contains only the Governor trait, and not the provincial capitol building. I'll try to get around this issue in the following releases.

If you want to uninstall and revert to previous state just download and extract the following archive in your /Third_Age_3 folder.

For reverting back to TATW3.1. - DOWNLOAD
    For reverting back to Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0 - DOWNLOAD

Screenshots
    Here are some screenshots of the Governor trait
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Download & Install instructions
    Download the zip file attached below for vanilla or Baron's and extract it to your /Third_Age_3 folder. If you want to uninstall and revert to previous state just download and extract the archive named "remove ICS" in your /Third_Age_3 folder for TATW3.1 or Baron's.
    Last edited by Maestro Ugo; January 09, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Tired of rampant corruption? Try ICS - Improved Corruption System for TATW3.1.

Default Re: [release] ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1

Nice concept.

I would like to know how a building can reduce corruption, though.
    I didn't think that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Baggins View Post
    Nice concept.

I would like to know how a building can reduce corruption, though.
    I didn't think that was possible.
    Thanks!

It doesn't reduce corruption directly - It increases order due to law (see second screenshot) which in turn decreases corruption.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Default Re: [release] ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Semedi's Compilation 4.0

Is this compatible with the bugfixed Baron Samedi's submods? I have a ctd whenever I click Imladris. Trying uninstaller...

Default Re: [release] ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Semedi's Compilation 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage752 View Post
    Is this compatible with the bugfixed Baron Samedi's submods? I have a ctd whenever I click Imladris. Trying uninstaller...
    Sorry, Baron is just creating bugfixes at an incredible rate. The version for the newest one is not working at the moment, I'm still trying to figure out why - will try to sort it out as soon as possible.

Much appreciated. Your mod plus barons adds much needed balance to the game

Default Re: [release] ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0

How long till update to fix compatibility with Baron's mods?

Default Re: [release] ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0

That's what I'm waiting for years... make an MOS version!That would be awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage752 View Post
    How long till update to fix compatibility with Baron's mods?
    Added the download to the first post - but so far only the Governor train - not the Provincial Capitol building. Will try to deal with the issue, but building slots in Baron's Compilation are all used up as things stand now because of the huge amount of content the compilation adds. I will try to condense a bit and squeeze the buildings in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bund weicher Birnen View Post
    That's what I'm waiting for years... make an MOS version!That would be awesome!!!
    Thanks for your support. I might make the version for MOS, as soon as they release it for TATW 3.1.

Anyway, the Baron Samedi version is up, but remember - just the trait - that means that the only way for characters to improve as governors is through experience.

No idea there was a building limit

Yes, unfortunately there is. The limit is 128 building trees and there is a limit of 9 buildings in a tree for a combined total of 1152 buildings. As only the first limit has been reached, some rearrangement might help solve the issue - the problem is that I don't feel skilled enough to do this just yet as i'm affraid I'll break something in the compilation.

This is just great. I appreciate graceful way you solved corruption issue (although only partially), while also reducing general problem with province distance. It makes governors actually important and let you make more choices.
    I suggested to Baron Samedi´s thread to include your creation into his compilation permanently. Because yours is really one of more clever submods here.

EDIT: Also i hope you can with BS help rearrange building tree setting, so it fits in there.
    Time is the killer.

Version 1.1 released, here is the changelog:
    1.0 -> 1.1
    -Added the 4th level of the trait
    -Renamed trait levels to represent the gathering of experience
    -The trait now influences only corruption reduction and not public order (by introducing Unrest effects)
    -Increased the overall effect on corruption reduction (It will still be moderate even in the later part of the game)
    -Completely rewrote the DistanceToCapital triggers (as using > than but < than doesn't seem to work)
    -Added the small chance of the trait improving if the character manages in a city with overwhelming foreign culture
    -Trait should now only improve for characters who do nothing else that turn (not 100% sure this works)

Quote Originally Posted by Tatoru View Post
    This is just great. I appreciate graceful way you solved corruption issue (although only partially), while also reducing general problem with province distance. It makes governors actually important and let you make more choices.
    I suggested to Baron Samedi´s thread to include your creation into his compilation permanently. Because yours is really one of more clever submods here.

EDIT: Also i hope you can with BS help rearrange building tree setting, so it fits in there.
    Thank you for your support. I definitely agree that governors lost a huge part of their importance with reduction of chivalry effects on population growth. While I like the new slower settlement growth - governors seem almost useless as the amount of income they increase (through trade, mining and farming) if managing a settlement is extremely small when compared to how much you pay for their upkeep. In vanilla TATW3.0 it's almost always more cost efficient to use characters exclusively as generals and employ only the most chivalrous ones as governors as they might add +0.5% on population growth.

I'll try to work on the buildings...

Default Re: ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0 - Version 1.1 released!!!

Is there a way to combine your two mods to have both the governor traits and the Lord retinues?

Default Re: ICS - Improved Corruption System submod for TATW3.1 and Baron Samedi's Compilation 4.0 - Version 1.1 released!!!

This is a great submod but why no also increase the chivalry effect on settlement? It would solve many problems.

Maybe you could make the traits more easier to have for a chivalrous general. Because ruling a town with high taxes decrease your chivalry stars I think and also because having a chivalrous general is no more as usefull as in 2.1.

Also if you can you should try to add this to baron samedi's compilation.
    Last edited by GueulEclator; December 26, 2011 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
    Is there a way to combine your two mods to have both the governor traits and the Lord retinues?
    Yes, they are fully compatible - just install both and you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GueulEclator View Post
    This is a great submod but why no also increase the chivalry effect on settlement? It would solve many problems.

Maybe you could make the traits more easier to have for a chivalrous general. Because ruling a town with high taxes decrease your chivalry stars I think and also because having a chivalrous general is no more as usefull as in 2.1.

Also if you can you should try to add this to baron samedi's compilation.
    Having the trait increase rate depend on chivalry might be a good idea. Will try to experiment a bit. Thanks, +rep for the suggestion.

And yes, I know I have to fully incorporate it with baron's compilation...

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Ugo View Post
    Governors
    Generals that administer settlements in TATW can get some help fighting against corruption, most noticeably through the GoodAdministrator trait series. This trait is very hard to obtain as it requires the character in question to govern a province on high or very high taxes while certain actions (like finishing buildings) are being preformed.

ICS adds a new trait - GoodGovernor. This trait represent the ability of a character to manage distant and problematic provinces. For every turn a character ends in a province that is far away from the capitol, he gets a small chance of improving his Governor skill. This chance is modified by the distance to the capitol in the sense that it's higher for more distant provinces. There are four levels of this trait:

Novice Governor (reduces corruption by about 10%)
    Competent Governor (reduces corruption by about 20%)
    Experienced Governor (reduces corruption by about 30%)
    Expert Governor (reduces corruption by about 40%)

As there is no way of modeling corruption reduction directly, this trait combines Law and Unrest effects to produce the corruption reduction effect. Increasing Law increases public order and decreases corruption while increasing Unrest decreases public order. All the levels are balanced in such a way that net effect on public order is always 0%, and thus only the corruption reduction effect is present.

This trait represents the fact that a character who has more experience in governing a distant settlement with rampant corruption will become better at it over time. The speed of learning this skill might be adjusted in the future versions of the mod, but the idea is that most governors of very distant provinces should get to capable after 80 turns or so, and just a handful should reach Skilled and Superb levels in that same time. I have calibrated this carefully as characters in TATW live for a long time and I don't want this trait to be too common.
    Very good idea, but you should do the reverse for learning good governorship. I mean, corruption is corruption...:
    Learning Governor should be the more easy the more close to the capital. Then, the farther you send loyal governors, the less they can feal loyal and learn to.
    So, good governors must be in nursery near capital, then sent away when needed. They can still learn the good loyal governorship, but at a far lesser rate.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Nõwë's Avatar Laetus

An innovative solution!
    I assume it is not saved game compatible?

I downloaded it but somehow i cant find it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast