Page 4 of 109 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

Default Re: ToTW Commentary Thread.

Can we change the little sentence of info under the "Tale of the Week" heading? The one that goes "On each week, we pick an interesting (stunning, funny, PoTW winner etc.) picture and write a "tale" about it. After the submissions, a vote is held to decide who wrote the best story to the picture." Doesn't accurately reflect TOTW anymore, and I'm pretty sure it's grammatically incorrect. THIS IS A WRITING COMPETITION, WE MUST HAVE PROPER GRAMMARS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Each week an interesting picture, including winner POTW entries and generally awesome Images, shall be chosen and you will be given the opportunity to write a short 'tale' about it. After the Submission period has concluded, a vote is to be held to ascertain which entrant has written the best story, based on the materials given" any gooder?

Thank's for pointing that out, I shall deal with it +rep

Edit- It appears I can't I shall wait for Radzeer or Hesus
    Last edited by Dark Storm; January 17, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Storm View Post
    "Each week an interesting picture, including winner winning POTW entries and generally awesome Images other generally awesome images, shall be chosen and you will be given the opportunity to write a short 'tale' about it. After the Submissionsubmission period has concluded, a vote is towill be held to ascertain which entrant has written the best story, based on the materials given" any gooder?

Thank's for pointing that out, I shall deal with it +rep

Edit- It appears I can't I shall wait for Radzeer or Hesus
    There. Now I approve. Sorry, I'm something of a grammar Nazi (though some of the edits are probably due to my taste rather than actual grammar rules...hehe, I feel like my World History teacher grading papers.)
    And in the words of the Y U NO guy-
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(I couldn't resist)
    Last edited by Asterix; January 17, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Those info blurbs are usually several years old. They kind of change slow as only top level technical people can change them. So this is our director's job to bring it up.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

8 submissions. Dear mother of God.

Oh, and all you reserved guys, write your piece! Make it more interesting!
    If everyone writes their pieces we'll have around 14 submissions. Would that be a TotW record?
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

As far as I know the record was 15. The nice memories of that are here.

Darkan - nice entry you got there, but you made a factual error. I am not the chronicler - someone else is
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Now we have 15. If all reservations will be transformed to submissions, that is.
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    Now we have 15. If all reservations will be transformed to submissions, that is.
    Perhaps we should throw a party?

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Darkan - nice entry you got there, but you made a factual error. I am not the chronicler - someone else is
    Well, actually I was inspired mainly by your avatar and partly by your AAR. Basicaly I was inspired by your avatAAR.
    Let us hope everyone will manage to submit something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    Perhaps we should throw a party?
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    We need more party with all the submissions there are.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

A few more hours before 123 goes to vote. Last chance to submit/review/change etc.
    Vote starts around 8 pm Eastern US time.

I wanted to say something about #123, but now I realize that it would be tasteless and rude to say anything until the vote is concluded... So edited.

I wanted to say something about #123, but now I realize that it would be tasteless and rude to say anything until the vote is concluded... So edited.
    You can always PM the thread moderator with any issues you may have. Let me address one issue we had a staff discussion about (maybe it was related to your question).

We have had four storyboards so far. We have been fairly relaxed about the rules until now, letting occasional things through. Now we have a good community of writers here again, which is the most important thing. From this point however, please observe the rules about the keywords (including the bold emphasis) and especially the length of the submissions. Playing by the rules is the fair way.
    Last edited by Radzeer; January 23, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Tribunus

I'm gonna be that guy.

The current OP could use a quick edit, if you're going to be hosting a competition focused on creative writing then perhaps having a well written OP would be... advisable.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

RE: TotW 124

- 5 keywords that have to be used in the story
    - Word limitation of minimum 200 but maximum 500 words, in a spoiler
    - Deadline is the following Sunday
    - Minimum 3 submissions to start the competition
    - If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.

Please note that all rules including word count and key words will be strictly enforced. Rule breakers will be disqualified from the vote
    The posted rules for this week's contest don't seem to include directions regarding bolding the keywords.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Tribunus

Surely the lack of those keywords would be noticed rather quickly? As each submission is read thoroughly prior to any voting being done so that attribution is made for ability to write and not, say, because you're buddies?

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I checked using word on my week someone had used one of the keywords about ten times
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Tribunus

Or just search for the word, most browsers have a function like that. It will highlight each instance of the word and provide a count, which should be at least one more than the number of submissions.

What a terrible 5000th post

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    You can always PM the thread moderator with any issues you may have. Let me address one issue we had a staff discussion about (maybe it was related to your question).

We have had four storyboards so far. We have been fairly relaxed about the rules until now, letting occasional things through. Now we have a good community of writers here again, which is the most important thing. From this point however, please observe the rules about the keywords (including the bold emphasis) and especially the length of the submissions. Playing by the rules is the fair way.
    This time, I have nothing against the rules. I still abhor the must-write-the-5-keywords part, but this time I'm not shooting at the rules. I'll post what I have to say once the vote is concluded. Thanks mate!
    Last edited by Nazgūl Killer; January 23, 2012 at 04:20 PM.