Page 106 of 109 FirstFirst ... 6568196979899100101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2169

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

I missed the vote vote on Renewal (poll closed). Some things just do not go correctly and then compound themselves. Well I will await the winner announcement and hope my vote would not affect the outcome.

Note to self -- post early and vote early.

Well, now that the poll is closed I can see the results, and assuming no one is disqualified, there is a two-vote spread between the winner and the next entry, so you should be in the clear!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Apologies for the delay in posting the winners' thread. It's now been posted.

Do you have reason to think somebody should be disqualified, Kilo11? Once voting's started, we generally only disqualify people for pretty serious rule-breaking, like asking for votes for your own submission. (We check the entries before we post the poll.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Do you have reason to think somebody should be disqualified, Kilo11? Once voting's started, we generally only disqualify people for pretty serious rule-breaking, like asking for votes for your own submission. (We check the entries before we post the poll.)
    Oh, not at all! I just know that is possible (sometimes happens in polls with multiple votes per person, when someone forgets to use all votes), and I try to be thorough. At work I am in a room of logicians, so I have gotten used to somewhat cryptic but strictly speaking accurate statements
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Oh, not at all! I just know that is possible (sometimes happens in polls with multiple votes per person, when someone forgets to use all votes), and I try to be thorough. At work I am in a room of logicians, so I have gotten used to somewhat cryptic but strictly speaking accurate statements
    LOL!!! The simplest statements can often make my day.

That's a relief! I was worrying I'd missed something really obvious!

(I prefer comprehensibility, myself, although I am definitely in favour of accuracy. Tastes differ, of course...)

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I err towards comprehensive, but admit problems in achieving comprehensible.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Is it me, or is it quiet in here?

Why not liven the place up a bit by entering our current competition: Leap of Faith?

I agree Caillagh! But rest assured, as soon as I have a bit of extra creative energy I will come up with an entry
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

How do I vote for submissions?

What if I submit but neglect to vote? Does that invalidate my submission?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

It is still in the submission phase, a new thread will be made and probably announced here when it goes to a vote. Currently it's still waiting on more submissions, though i have something in mind...
    You're free to both submit and not vote or not submit and vote
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by William of Orange View Post

Hi!

Welcome to the Writers' Study, and to Tale of the Week, and thank you for your entry to the competition.

As King Athelstan says, the rules allow people to vote without entering TotW, or to enter TotW without voting (though we do encourage people who enter to vote - after all, the people who enter are bound to be interested in the outcome of the competition, so why miss out on the opportunity to affect that outcome? )

In your case, however, you're not able to vote (yet), I'm afraid. That isn't because of the competition rules, it's because of the way site membership works. You need to have been a member for more than a week (which you obviously have) and also to have made at least 25 posts before you can vote in polls. (Here's a link to the bit of the FAQ about this.) It shouldn't be too difficult for you to post enough to be able to vote, though. There are plenty of interesting things to read here in the Writers' Study, and every author appreciates a comment, especially if you enjoyed their writing. Likewise, if there are mods you've enjoyed with threads on TWC, modders are always happy to receive an appreciative comment. Or, of course, there are our forum games, if any of those interest you. But you're already more than halfway to 25 posts, so you've made most of the posts you need to already!

As King Athelstan also mentioned, voting for the current competition hasn't begun yet, so there's a good chance you'll be able to reach 25 posts in time to vote.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    In your case, however, you're not able to vote (yet), I'm afraid. That isn't because of the competition rules, it's because of the way site membership works. You need to have been a member for more than a week (which you obviously have) and also to have made at least 25 posts before you can vote in polls. (Here's a link to the bit of the FAQ about this.) It shouldn't be too difficult for you to post enough to be able to vote, though. There are plenty of interesting things to read here in the Writers' Study, and every author appreciates a comment, especially if you enjoyed their writing. Likewise, if there are mods you've enjoyed with threads on TWC, modders are always happy to receive an appreciative comment. Or, of course, there are our forum games, if any of those interest you. But you're already more than halfway to 25 posts, so you've made most of the posts you need to already!

As King Athelstan also mentioned, voting for the current competition hasn't begun yet, so there's a good chance you'll be able to reach 25 posts in time to vote.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, of course.
    Hey William of Orange,

As Caillagh said, it's about getting up to 25 posts. If I may make a suggestion, if you click through the signatures of each person here, you will already find a load of stories that might interest you, and the authors here are a good lot, and always love to hear feedback on their work. And just within this page, you'll find four very immersive stories to get you started (Caillagh's A Long Way From Home, NorseThing's Tales After the Crusade, my AAR Written in Sand, and my creative writing story The Fool and His Keeper. So check those out, and then just peruse what you find via signature links. Most of the people in the Writer's Study are active writers, and we all love one or two words on our projects. Looking forward to see you around some of those other threads!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just to add, don't feel pressured to comment on all of our work just to hit 25, no one is going to fault you if you head somewhere else and post as well, but I see you're already at 22. 3 more to go!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Absolutely right, Swaeft - we're not here to force people to read things they don't want to read. And when you're trying to post a lot in a hurry, finding the things you do want to read might take more time than you have.

(There will be plenty of time to check out any writing in the WS you might to read once you can vote, after all. )

Note on the start of voting (also posted on the Chat Thread in the Writers Lounge): since a couple of people are intending to post submissions, I will definitely not post the poll thread till the afternoon of Thursday 12th March (GMT) at the earliest. Good luck to everyone!

I have now thought of a title for my submission - is it acceptable to Edit my submission post to add it? It will change the word count (as per MS-Word) from 205 to 207 - which as I understand the Rules will not affect admissibility as an entry.
    Napoleon Total War Play-Throughs:

Italian Campaign - VH/VH (completed Late May, 1797)

Egyptian campaign - VH/VH (conquered all provinces Late Nov. 1800)
    Prussian Campaign - VH/VH (in progress)

Just because you CAN buy that shiny bauble - doesn't mean you SHOULD buy it.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

You may edit your post and as long as it is done before the submission period closes your editted submission will count (otherwise we go with the unedited version). As you mentioned yourself editing usually changes the word count, unless maybe when you only amend spelling mistakes, and might bring your submission over the threshold of the word count or you might wrongly use a keyword. Always be wary if your edited submission is eligable before submitting it. In your case, with only a title to add, it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: to be sure your submission has the correct number of words you should use this word counter. This and this word counter alone will be used by Writers' Study Staff to determine the word count of your submission.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 12, 2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added link to word counter

Content Emeritus

I felt bad for not having gotten a tale of my own done, but after reading these, I feel I'd not have passed muster anyway. These are quality, and I am very happy to have seen such a strong turnout (in terms of quality). Keep it up ladies and gentlemen, and I hope to try my pen against you three in the next TotW!
    Wet your quills Kilo11 (and everyone else) because the next Tale of the Week is ready for business. Go check out our newest iteration, Tale of the Week 295: Emperor, the Writers' Study's Napoleon Total War inspired TotW, celebrating the 10th anniversary of Napoleon Total War. Happy writing!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 16, 2020 at 03:12 AM. Reason: better wording

Content Emeritus

Three brave writers have entered in the Battle of Emperors!

I'm looking to post the voting thread soon (2 or 3 days) so if anyone feels like joining TotW 295: Emperor, or is still working on something, now is the time to make yourselves known.

Happy writing!

Content Emeritus

Join us in congratulating the winner of Tale of the Week 294: Battle of Trenton!

With 4 entries now, we begin the vote for TotW 295 Emperor. Go read these lovely pieces of writing and vote for your favourite entry! Enjoy!