Page 101 of 109 FirstFirst ... 5176919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2169

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

A particular thanks to Caligula for your question which rankled steadily in the back of my mind until it prodded me to go ahead and enter this round of TotW... I had particular fun with this one, and I never would have entered if not for you! Much appreciated

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The voting thread for TotW 269: Solstice, and the submissions thread for TotW 270: Three Kingdoms are now both available. Please vote and submit in the appropriate threads!

Apologies for these threads being a bit later than usual. The voting thread will still run for a full week, to give everyone a fair chance to vote.

My Tale of the Week friends, I bring news that the voting thread for TotW 270: Three Kingdoms is now up. Please vote!

I also bring tidings of TotW 271, for which the theme is 'Henry VIII', since we've just had the anniversary of his death. As we are currently slightly out of our usual cycle, the WS staff propose to extend the submission period for TotW 271 so that it ends during the weekend instead of on a weekday. Our plan at the moment is that the submission period will run until midday (GMT) on Saturday 17th February. The submission thread is here.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I didn't think I would enter this TotW, but I was inspired so here I am.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

All of the entries are well written, but all are so dark. I had thought that if I had entered, my entry would be dark as well, so no surprise the entries are dark. I just could not be inspired with the darkness, so I salute the member entries for going were I could not go.

My tale for the Henry VIII contest started out to be about 1500 words and I think it could have been much longer if I truly let the dogs loose. Like Mad Orc in another previous contest tale, I was quite frustrated with cutting back to the 500 word limit.

[rant] However the butchering has been completed and the tale submitted. I may at a later time post a more complete version in the creative writing forum, but for now -- the butchered piece will have to suffice. I do not fault the rules since I as a writer must adhere to some outside rules with all writing. [/rant]

Who was the evil genius that included 'serendipity' among the five words? I neither speak nor write with that word in my vocabulary. I felt a bit foolish trying to fit it in, but all is good. I was able to fit it into the piece by mere serendipity.
    Last edited by NorseThing; February 03, 2018 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Who was the evil genius that included 'serendipity' among the five words? I neither speak nor write with that word in my vocabulary. I felt a bit foolish trying to fit it in, but all is good. I was able to fit it into the piece by mere serendipity.

It's very gratifying to have the true depths of my evilness appreciated for once, NorseThing.

I'm glad you found a way to include it.

I need to submit still. It’s been a long work week!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Almighty View Post
    I need to submit still. It’s been a long work week!
    No rush Zeus, there's still one more week.
    DuckDuckGo

Congratulations to the Three Kingdoms winner!!!!

Ill see you in the Winners circle next week

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I am here to bump Zeus into writing/submitting his story.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Is the submission period 2 or 3 weeks? When can we prepare for the next one?
    DuckDuckGo

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    2 weeks for submissions, and 1 week for voting.

Guh! RL has been the real deal but I am off tomorrow l! I am ready

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Ordinarily, Caligula would be exactly right. However, we're having a special extended submission period this time so that we can end the submission period (and start the voting, obviously) during the weekend. Which means that I can say to Zeus Almighty...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Almighty View Post
    Guh! RL has been the real deal but I am off tomorrow l! I am ready
    ...Excellent! You have until midday GMT tomorrow (Sunday 18th February) to make a submission.

In addition to that exciting news, I bring news of an exciting change!

Well, no. Actually, that's not true. It's not really exciting. It is, however, a change to our TotW rules, so it seems only fair to tell you all about it.

Our current rules have a minimum word limit, but it turns out there's no official prohibition on including a bunch of random words in your entry just to get past the limit. Naturally, if you include a bunch of random words in your entry, it does rather reduce your chances of winning. However, since there is guidance in the rules about what gets counted towards the maximum word limit, we've decided to give the minimum word limit equal treatment.

The current rule says this:
    The submission must have a minimum of 200 but a maximum of 500 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes etc..

The new rule will say this:
    The submission must have a minimum of 200 words. The title counts towards this minimum, but footnotes, explanatory notes, and other supplementary texts do not. The submission must also have a maximum of 500 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes etc.

At the moment, we count all the words you post within your spoiler or contentbox, plus any title, in order to work out whether you have exceeded the maximum word limit. We're going to carry on doing that, just as before.

However, in addition to doing that, we're also going to consider what your entry includes. If your entry includes a main text (for instance a story or a poem) and a supplementary text (an explanatory note, or some commentary, or a footnote, or something similar), we will count only the words in the main text when deciding whether or not you have reached the minimum word limit. The test for deciding whether or not a part of your entry is a supplementary text will be: "Do the WS Staff think it's part of the main text?" If you write it so that we're convinced it's part of your main text, it counts as part of your main text. (So, for example, part of your entry can be a poem, and part can be prose, provided you can convince us it's all part of one piece of your creative writing.) If we think it's not part of your main text, well, your entry will be disqualified unless your main text contains enough words by itself.

We aim to be reasonably generous in interpreting this, but if your supplementary text includes phrases like "I'm only adding this so I have enough words to enter TotW", you can be pretty sure that bit won't count towards the minimum.

This rule will take effect starting with Tale of the Week 272.

I hope my submission within Tale of the Week 269: Solstice - SUBMISSIONS THREAD! was not a cause for this rule change. In regards to the rule change / guidance -- If you could go back and review whether my submission does break the spirit of things, I and other members might find this useful for future submissions.

I did mention in the submission that it was a bit of a cheat. I had also meant the intro to acquaint the members with how to read a haiku so that they would not rush thru the poems. Taking time (pardon the pun on the rule change) is really important with much in poetry and not just English language Haiku. This seems my day for apologies. Sigh.

Apologies for the delay in posting the voting thread for TotW 271. It is now up, and you have the usual seven days in which to vote.

@NorseThing: I don't think it would be quite right for us to use submissions from previous competitions to show what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable under the new rules. If a submission was not disqualified before, then it was acceptable under the old rules, and we wouldn't want to give the impression that there was something wrong with any of those entries.

If anyone is worried about whether their submission qualifies under the new rules, they're welcome to PM a member of WS staff. (Or to post here, of course, but it might take us longer to spot that.) We will try to keep an eye on submissions and warn people if we think they don't qualify, but we may not always be able to do that so you have time to rewrite your entry.

I would hate to start something that is not just against the rules, but may wander counter to what is desired. What about a picture within the submission post? What about a YouTube.com within the post? I am thinking perhaps a bit outside the box here and thought it best to pose the question rather than strike with a submission that may run counter to what staff is wanting for the TotW submissions.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I would hate to start something that is not just against the rules, but may wander counter to what is desired. What about a picture within the submission post? What about a YouTube.com within the post? I am thinking perhaps a bit outside the box here and thought it best to pose the question rather than strike with a submission that may run counter to what staff is wanting for the TotW submissions.
    Kinda like with an AAR, to set the tone of your piece? Or for some other reason?

Yes, a bit of setting the tone and to also illustrate a point. Not necessarily a large picture and not necessarily at the top of the post either.