Page 100 of 109 FirstFirst ... 507590919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2169

Thread: TotW Commentary Thread.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

I've got a suggestion for the TotW Index of Winners.
    Now I appreciate it'd be a load of work, for potentially not that big of a payoff, but I'd suggest that instead of linking to the Winner's Thread AND the winner's user profile you instead link to the winner's post in that weeks' Submission thread. That way you only need to link once, you can still see who the winner is easily, and the other people who submitted that week aren't ignored. This way if someone wants to read old submissions they can read everyones rather than just the winners.

Since it'd be heaps of work to redo 268 Tales of the Week (plus all the other writing competitions), probably just do it going forward? Or redo TotW 251-268 and going forward.

Instead of...
    Winner: TotW 268: Heavy Cruiser - CommodusIV

Do this...
    Winner: TotW 268: Heavy Cruiser - CommodusIV

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; January 03, 2018 at 06:01 PM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A good idea.

I could volunteer if a partial redo is desired. It is not like volunteering for a suicide missions or other dangers. Of course to do a redo at least back a bit might be helpful. To go forward I am certain the current staff can do the job if the idea is acceptable.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

As a policy in the future it sounds quite economic. As something to do to all old entries, I'm not sure if it's quite as worthwhile, unless there was someone volunteering to do it, in which case, why say no.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

So what kind of help exactly do you need .Does it require the use of coding??
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Nah its just time consuming to find the original submissions thread and link it to the person who won.
    I did about 120 weeks worth for the Screenshot Competitions a few months ago and its incredibly boring lols.

But why cant it just be done from now onwards .

Can and probably will.

And can i help in any way .Please ,please .
    I dont know coding but outside coding i can help in any way .

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The 'coding' involved is a very elementary use of bbcode to link to a post. The difficulty only arises from hunting down each week, linking it and editing it in. Along the lines of the work I'm chipping in for a TES mod - not coding, not even hard, just something people don't want to do given sheer volume :p
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; January 04, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

It's not a bad idea, Caligula, and I'll certainly ask the WS staff to discuss it.

I'd like to point out, though, that the other people who entered are never ignored. We catalogue every single entry, in full, in the TotW Story Archive. The list of winners in the Index helps us keep the figures in the Hall of Fame straight, and makes it easy to see if it's someone's first win, or sixth on the run, or something like that, in case it deserves extra comment. (It's also interesting in itself, of course.) The Archive is the full record of TotW contests.

Edited to add:
    Thank you to everyone who offered help. Your offers are very kind, and we're very grateful. But, even if we decide to do this, the only people who have the necessary permissions to do the work involved are the WS staff. (Well, and Moderators and Hex, but they're busy doing other stuff, obviously. )
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; January 04, 2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    It's not a bad idea, Caligula, and I'll certainly ask the WS staff to discuss it.

I'd like to point out, though, that the other people who entered are never ignored. We catalogue every single entry, in full, in the TotW Story Archive. The list of winners in the Index helps us keep the figures in the Hall of Fame straight, and makes it easy to see if it's someone's first win, or sixth on the run, or something like that, in case it deserves extra comment. (It's also interesting in itself, of course.) The Archive is the full record of TotW contests.
    Oh awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Official notice -Having read Norse thing's entry for winter solstice totw and even repped him .
    I will not participate in the same .

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Official notice -Having read Norse thing's entry for winter solstice totw and even repped him .
    I will not participate in the same .
    The contests work better with everyone joining in the fun!

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Indeed. It's rather dull if there are two contestants, and in my case, I simply posted because I wanted there to be more than a single entry >.>

Just wondering, how long do you guys usually spend on thinking of ideas, planning and actually writing your the TotW submissions?

The contests work better with everyone joining in the fun!
    No i cant .There is a rule which doesnt allow me to .
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; January 07, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Just wondering, how long do you guys usually spend on thinking of ideas, planning and actually writing your the TotW submissions?
    When I enter TotW it is usually an off-the-cuff work which involves me opening the TotW page, copy-pasting the list of required words into a document, and writing a piece top-to-bottom. I tend to not edit extensively (except in order to achieve proper word length) and I try and just take the opportunity to stretch myself a little, e.g. writing a topic I wouldn't normally consider or picking a certain device to focus on.

Simply being forced to tell an entire story within the space of a few brief words is a substantial challenge for me, since I have a tendency to expound on the details of characters and scenes, so it serves as an excellent writing exercise. It is the sort of exercise one might create for themselves, but WS are kind enough to pick words for me so I try and take advantage of it to improve myself as a writer. The actual final work isn't so much the goal for me as the process of having created it.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Spontaneous. I look at the words and the theme, dream up a perspective, and simply write from there, continuing until a point where I find it's long enough.

In other words, nothing like the other writing I do, which has no presence on this site as of yet. Dunno which angle, still, I would use for this site.

The amount of time spent may be small, but it is spread out over time as I keep fussing with edits. Mostly I just look at the contest and as already stated -- a bit of copy and paste and then to think. I know that I have a week or even more to fuss and think.

I enter when the words give me an interesting idea. I leave it cooking for a couple of days and then usually take care of it in one sitting.