Thread: units wont charge and engage enemy properly

Semisalis

Default units wont charge and engage enemy properly

Hi all, I haven’t played in a long time and recently just got back into it with some mods, but I’m getting really frustrated by my units inability to properly engage the enemy in charges.

My infantry do the standard war cry and then charge the enemy, but if they’re on any sort of angle only a mere fraction of them will fight the enemy and the rest will just stand back where they are. For instance if a axemen unit 30 men across and four rows deep charges another unit on a 45 degree angle, then only about 6 men will actually be fighting…. And the rest could be the 10-20 metres from the closest enemy soldier engaged in the fighting. Every single time after a charge, I have to manually select the unit and double click behind the enemy unit in order to get them literally run into the enemy and then click on the enemy unit to fight.

Also with cavalry I find that in their charges they break cohesion/line very easily before they hit the enemy and when they do impact on the enemy, I will be lucky to get 3 or 4 men (out of horse unit 15-20 men wide) to actually penetrate the enemy unit and get past the first row of enemy soldiers. There just doesn’t seem to be any impact from charging.

I haven’t played in a long time, but remember there was a way to fix this, if anyone could assist that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.L.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: units wont charge and engage enemy properly

You can't expect your cavalry to charge from half a mile.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom Locke View Post
    You can't expect your cavalry to charge from half a mile.
    No its not that, its as they could be 100, 50 or 30 metres away from the enemy but they rarely seem to crash into them properly, especially if the enemy unit is on an angle. As soon as the cavalry hit the first enemy soldier they come across they’ll instantly stop. and will then really struggle to get into the second or third row of enemy troops (even if attacked from side or rear)

I’ve found the little sub mod I used several years ago http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75914 which was the best little mod tweak ever, but I’ve just discovered that its not compatible with the Kingdoms expansion

If anyone knows what line item I have to change for each unit in the description files that would be greatly appreciated, and I can be frustration free of my men allowing the first rank/row to engage the enemy and then the rest of then just hang back and relax not engaging the enemy.

Cheers

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but would like to add that, in siege battles, when I order my units to attack an enemy unit, they sometimes don't move at all.
    If I order to move somewhere, they do, but if I click on an enemy unit, the effect is like clicking on stop.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
    (Of course, you can click somewhere behind the enemy unit, but then, they won't charge and just run into the enemy, which doesn't give them the charge bonus and they may partly try to run through the ranks of the enemy and get slaughtered.)

.L.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by FarKenal View Post
    No its not that, its as they could be 100, 50 or 30 metres away from the enemy but they rarely seem to crash into them properly, especially if the enemy unit is on an angle. As soon as the cavalry hit the first enemy soldier they come across they’ll instantly stop. and will then really struggle to get into the second or third row of enemy troops (even if attacked from side or rear)

I’ve found the little sub mod I used several years ago http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75914 which was the best little mod tweak ever, but I’ve just discovered that its not compatible with the Kingdoms expansion

If anyone knows what line item I have to change for each unit in the description files that would be greatly appreciated, and I can be frustration free of my men allowing the first rank/row to engage the enemy and then the rest of then just hang back and relax not engaging the enemy.

Cheers

Did your cavalry have lances at the time?

.L.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival2211 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but would like to add that, in siege battles, when I order my units to attack an enemy unit, they sometimes don't move at all.
    If I order to move somewhere, they do, but if I click on an enemy unit, the effect is like clicking on stop.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
    (Of course, you can click somewhere behind the enemy unit, but then, they won't charge and just run into the enemy, which doesn't give them the charge bonus and they may partly try to run through the ranks of the enemy and get slaughtered.)
    There is something in the way.

This happens to me too. I usually just double click on the enemy again and after a second or so the rest of them will charge in though i agree that this is not as good as a proper charge it does at least mean that three of four men don't need to fight the whole enemy unit at once

The same thing happens to me when i try to move units quickly on the walls. Sometimes the bulk of them stay behind and four of the men actually go to where i want!

doesn't ruin a quality game though!

Quote Originally Posted by FarKenal View Post
    Hi all, I haven’t played in a long time and recently just got back into it with some mods, but I’m getting really frustrated by my units inability to properly engage the enemy in charges.

My infantry do the standard war cry and then charge the enemy, but if they’re on any sort of angle only a mere fraction of them will fight the enemy and the rest will just stand back where they are. For instance if a axemen unit 30 men across and four rows deep charges another unit on a 45 degree angle, then only about 6 men will actually be fighting…. And the rest could be the 10-20 metres from the closest enemy soldier engaged in the fighting. Every single time after a charge, I have to manually select the unit and double click behind the enemy unit in order to get them literally run into the enemy and then click on the enemy unit to fight.

Also with cavalry I find that in their charges they break cohesion/line very easily before they hit the enemy and when they do impact on the enemy, I will be lucky to get 3 or 4 men (out of horse unit 15-20 men wide) to actually penetrate the enemy unit and get past the first row of enemy soldiers. There just doesn’t seem to be any impact from charging.

I haven’t played in a long time, but remember there was a way to fix this, if anyone could assist that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Did you find a fix?

This really looks like RTFM issue.

Guard mode is the cause of your infantry problem. If it is on when you order the attack, the unit will hold formation which will come to stop when meeting the enemy. You want them to attack properly, turn guard mode off before attacking.

Cavalry has two charge modes. Single right click results in proper formed charge. The unit will stick to formation, walk toward the enemy until they reach their charge distance, then break into devastating charge...unless their target moves, which will disrupt the charge. Against fixed targets, it is devastating.

Double right clicking results in ad hoc charge, the cavalry will break into run at once but will lose cohesion as they run, and only some of the troops will actually charge successfully. This is better than formed charge against moving targets like archers, who will most likely have skirmish mode on.

Edit: goddamit, baited by necropost. Just toss this into trash, please.
    Last edited by Sar1n; July 31, 2017 at 01:47 PM.

actually... thanks for the tip Sar1n... I didn't know a single right click with cavalry still results in a charge... I thought it always had to be double right click, and I just tried to line up my knights as best I could before launching it...

No way, don't trash Sar1n's post. That was really helpful. I hadn't known about the single-click option with cavalry. I'm going to try that at the next opportunity. Nothing wrong with a necropost as long as it's a quality post, and this one was.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Some good answers to a older thread, but there is another problem. When infantry attacks, it is important you keep a tight formation. When cavalry attacks on an angle , it can be helpful to use a wedge formation to get more men on horses closer to the action.

The single click with cavalry will allow the computer to determine when best to break out into a full charge and keep the unit in a tighter and more organized formation. The double click will break up the formation giving the opposing units time to react. It will still be a charge, but less effective. Try this on some unit in a practice session doing some changes until you are happy with your skill level.