Thread: Scriptorium Editorial for November 2011

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Scriptorium Editorial for November 2011

Welcome to the Scriptorium's Editorial for November 2011! This editorial brings you the latest batch of articles out of the Scriptorium, accompanied by some reviews of these articles by our librarians, as well as some other news about the Script. This may or may not include information on the next writing competition...

Recent Articles
    We have stored a good number of new articles since our last editorial was published. Here is a list of everything added in the last 2 months.

Articles added in October & November
    October 2011
    Tips and tricks for faster computer/gaming performance Added 11/10/2011
    Warscape Formations Guide Added 13/10/2011
    How to Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems Added 17/10/2011
    How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW Added 20/10/2011
    Adding new clans to Shogun 2 Added 20/10/2011
    How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager Added 20/10/2011
    Advanced Hex-editing: Creating a custom unit Added 21/10/2011
    Creating a World - Bare Geomod Added 22/10/2011
    Creating a World - Map Templates with Worldwind Added 22/10/2011
    A complete guide to the Senate Added 24/10/2011
    Creating a World - The Geomod Manual by gig Added 25/10/2011
    Creating a World - Gig's Map Collection Added 25/10/2011
    The Rebellion of Cyrus the Younger Added 26/10/2011
    The Relationship of Badauni and Abu'l Fazl Added 26/10/2011
    The Imjin War: A Basic Guide Added 26/10/2011
    Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns-Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5 29/10/2011
    How to unpack something specific from the .pack files 29/10/2011
    Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map 29/10/2011
    Creating a World - High Resolution Screenshots 31/10/2011

November 2011

Defence in Depth, with reference to British preperations for Sealion Added 3/11/2011
    Deep Operation, confusion in doctrine form Added 3/11/2011
    Blitzkrieg: Implementation and Countermeasure Added 3/11/2011
    The S2 Script-o-Rama 5/11/2011
    Charioting in ancient Egypt: the tactics 15/11/2011
    Short Tales of Middle Earth: A series of single FFs by Inarus! Added 16/11/2011
    Parallel - The Empire of the White Hand Added 16/11/2011

-Back to Top-

Top News

The Scriptorium has just been down to business as usual for the past couple months, mopping up after the last competition and making sure the rabid monkeys stay fed well enough to keep them from throwing feces at Beli as he does his weekly inspection. Not that we care if he is covered in feces, but the stench just never leaves the area with the same speed as Beli.

Check out the reviews section for a few reviews on some of our latest articles, or just above for the latest articles themselves.

-Back to Top-

Other News

The Scriptorium will be planning another writing competition at the beginning of 2012. Details are still in the works, but thanks to the community we got a good amount of feedback from the previous year of competition and we feel confident that we will bring you and even better event this time around. Keep any eye out later in December for some more news leading up to the competition, which we plan to hold again in January/February!

We are not particularly short on any librarians but we could use an extra hand on-board for the next competition. If you are interested please send a PM to Hader.

-Back to Top-

Article Reviews

We got bored lately so we wrote you many reviews. You love us long time, yes?

Charioting in ancient Egypt : the tactics - Review by Nyxos

Author: davide.cool
    Original Thread: Charioting in ancient Egypt: the tactics

Scriptorium Thread : [History] Charioting in ancient Egypt: the tactics

Charioting in ancient Egypt
    So, I believe you all know what a chariot is right ? You know, that thing with wheels and horses and people on it that sometimes have blades on them to look cool in Hollywood movies. Well guess what, those things actually existed. Yup, I'm not making this up, people used to ride these things to battle and charge right in the enemy formation with these. Well not exactly, and that's precisely what this article explains, when, where and how did ancient Egyptians use chariots to wreck havoc upon the poor dudes also known as the enemy.
    Not only that but you get to learn where they came from, how they were made and you even have a pretty cool graph of the whole tactics employed. And surprising enough, they don't just charge head on
    But it's not just about the tactics, you will also learn how they became a part of the Egyptian army, what they were made of and who would drive and fight on them.
    This article has the prefect balance of text and images, making it a nice smooth read. It's informative, clear and will improve your Rome : Total War skills. You know it will.

Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map (by Gigantus) - review by SonofPeverel

Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle MapAuthor: Gigantus
    Original Thread: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

One of Gigantus' newest inductions to the Scriptorium, Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map is a great tool for any modder. The article informs the reader how to do just what the title implies, Gigantus even gives us an installer that makes the whole process extremely simple. In typical Gigantus style this tool is informative and easy to follow. For a true stalker fan of Gigantus’ work, a full list of his articles that have been cataloged in the Scriptorium can be found here.

SonofPeverel

How to unpack something specific from the .pack files(by Ishan) - Review by Maximus IV

How to unpack something specific from the .pack files

Author: Ishan
    Original Thread: How to unpack something specific from the .pack files

That marvelous tutorial,made by Ishan,explains how to unpack something specific from the pack files in a few simple steps. First,he describes the way to unpack files for the original Medieval II game and afterwards for the Kingdoms Expansion. In addition, he attaches a .rar file that contains some .bat files for extracting a variety of files. Ishan, also ,provides examples each time for better understanding. Last but not least,he adds a solution for the problematic unpacking for Steam users. A very helpful tutorial and a must for beginner and experienced modders.

Maximus IV

Tips and Tricks for Faster Computer/Gaming Performance - Review by StealthFox

Original Thread Author: Trailhog250
    Original Thread: Tips and tricks for faster computer/gaming performance
    Scriptorium Thread: Tips and Tricks for Faster Computer/Gaming Performance

Tips and Tricks for Faster Computer/Gaming Performance Many mods available for the Total War series improve on the game in more ways than one. Better graphics, textures, scripts, etc... can increase performance needs over that required by a vanilla installation. So, to play your favorite mod without sacrificing quality and performance, Trailhog250 has written a great guide to squeeze every bit of power out of your gaming rig.

Trailhog250 provides a great overview on five different performance boosting programs and how to properly implement them to achieve best results with your system and game. This guide is extremely detailed but is easy to follow. Even the most casual user should be able to follow this guide and easily boost computer performance to play their favorite Total War mod!

- StealthFox

Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW - Review by Lord William

Author: Trajan
    Original Thread: Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Scriptorium Thread : [Modding] Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Tutorial: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW
    Hello everyone, I am going to briefly discuss with you about a tutorial created by Trajan on implementing your own music into Medieval Total War II. Personally I have grown tired of constantly listening to the same total war music…. Awww. I always wanted to change it but never new how, but than low and behold I found this tutorial. I was quite happy with the simplicity of these instructions, following them to the T. now I can listen to whatever I want whether it be classical or heavy metal, though I must say I prefer the first. Nothing beats conquering a nation with beethoven 9th. I have sort of strayed off topic so I will end with these sentiments, if you wish change your music for MTW2 and don’t know how. You must look at this tutorial, you will find that is a cake walk. Thank you and Good Night!!!

LW

-Back to Top-

Closing Remarks

Thanks for reading the editorial this month. We look forward to bringing you our next editorial, and most importantly, the next writing competition!

Valete!

Did you know there is a whole family of TWC Publications? Just click through the pictures below if you want to check them out.

-Back to Top-
    Last edited by Hader; February 01, 2012 at 02:42 AM.