Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: Pdguru's French and Allies: Uniforms, Artillery, Equipment and Sounds

Default Re: Pdguru's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Not finished yet. Patience...
    Thanks I can wait. I feel honored you took the time to do this for me. can they start with a little experience or is that a startpos thing? I have no idea how to even open startpos.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by ordoprinceps View Post
    Thanks I can wait. I feel honored you took the time to do this for me. can they start with a little experience or is that a startpos thing? I have no idea how to even open startpos.
    They start with experience according to the building from which they are recruited. I will start them off at level 2 in basic buildings and go up to level 4 for higher buildings. Chasseur (LI) characteristics do you think?

They start with experience according to the building from which they are recruited. I will start them off at level 2 in basic buildings and go up to level 4 for higher buildings. Chasseur (LI) characteristics do you think?
    Dear PDG,
    I am not quite sure how to respond. I say that because hopefully many users of this site will avail themselves of this new unit and many on this site seem to be sticklers for historical accuracy. Accuracy is also very important to me but I want to have some fun with my gaming as well.

This unit is described on the information that Prince Essling (PE) provided as men of the heights and one resource I looked up and said of high ground. There is also the reference from PE that shows men of maneuvers when translated into English. I do not know what that means. As a former Marine we run maneuvers many times but then in Napoleonic days light infantry would also.

PE was also adamant that there were no Marine units in the same sense as the British or the US Marines. I am extremely well versed on the history of the US Marines starting with their first recruits at Tun Tavern in 1775. To this day they are still finding Marines in pubs. The colonial (American) Navy recruited these men specifically for their marksmanship skills to be able to shoot enemy officers and gunners from high in the riggings of the ships. It is my understanding (although I have less knowledge British Royal Marines), that British Marines also had well above average marksmanship skills.

So without knowing exactly what this units duties or training was I would make the logical assumption that they should be Chasseurson land with above average marksmanship skills and reloading skills.
    The vanilla NTW game gave the Guards Seaman far above average skills in terms of reloading and above average marksmanship skills (accuracy) so I would go on that same idea.
    Since the game provides the Guards Seaman and Swiss Halbredier has provided four regiments of the elite "Mariners" (Marines) in his Aum_nap_mod 2.2, I would say the new and superb unit that you have created should be light infantry.
    For me this would be a wonderful addition to my gaming to have the already existing regiments of elite line infantry with some elite Chasseurs. That would really make my day sir!
    As for your plan for experience, yes that sounds fine to me. Oh one more thing, I have been using Emperor Batman 999's foreign Legion mods and really love them. He has some units that have ammunition of 15, 20 and even 25 as opposed to the vanilla 10. I would like to see your new chasseurs have more ammo so they can fight longer. As naval personnel, if they were initially trained to fight aboard ship (that is what I gather from PE) that I would suspect that they would have better than average hand-to-hand combat abilities both offensive and defensive. Thank you again sir I consider this a gift! It has been too soon since last time I gave you rep but as soon as I am allowed to again I am definitely going to rep you for this effort!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Dear PDG,
    There is also the reference from PE that shows men of maneuvers when translated into English. I do not know what that means. As a former Marine we run maneuvers many times but then in Napoleonic days light infantry would also.
    I believe it translates as men responsible for the rigging....

Personally I would pretend that the troops ♔Pdguru♔ has produced equate to the Marine Artillery infantry of 1813 - which ended up as very good quality, line infantry...
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; February 14, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: qualifying sentence
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    I believe it translates as men responsible for the rigging....

Personally I would pretend that the troops ♔Pdguru♔ has produced equate to the Marine Artillery infantry of 1813 - which ended up as very good quality, line infantry...
    That makes sense, thanks PE.
    Also PDG has made a new Marine unit for me it looks great and matches the picture you provided for the uniform that saysTenue d'uniforme des hataillons de haut-bord 1812, men of the heights? He is making them light infantry.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Nearly done.

To take the history master PoE's suggestion, I have given the unit the artillery colors (red collar) and, if I have understood the posted guide to the uniforms correctly, they had a downwards facing cannon on the left forearm sleeve. There is only one sleeve in the skin (uniforms are a duplicated half - which is what makes making them look varied so hard!) so I have had to put it on both sleeves:

I have also decided to place the cuff buttons on the pointed turnbacks as I could not get a pleasing result otherwise due to the way the skins stretches on either side of the center.

Here's the unit advancing - no regimental flag, but blue coated drummer and flutist and officer uniform close to capitain de vasseau petit tenue a terre:

Unit should be ready tomorrow (US central) morning.
    Last edited by Pdguru; February 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Decanus

Icon7 Re: Pdguru's Mods

I´ve arrived home too late... i enter here to find out how to send the pics from the Wallon Guards... and what i have found...................................

Nearly done.

To take the history master PoE's suggestion, I have given the unit the artillery colors (red collar) and, if I have understood the posted guide to the uniforms correctly, they had a downwards facing cannon on the left forearm sleeve. There is only one sleeve in the skin (uniforms are a duplicated half - which is what makes making them look varied so hard!) so I have had to put it on both sleeves:

I have also decided to place the cuff buttons on the pointed turnbacks as I could not get a pleasing result otherwise due to the way the skins stretches on either side of the center.

Here's the unit advancing - no regimental flag, but blue coated drummer and flutist and officer uniform close to capitain de vasseau petit tenue a terre:

PDG,
    These look fabulous! A master piece! Can't wait. What kind of file will they be? Hopefully no loc. I have had so much trouble with those adding new mods. These really are great thanks!!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Nearly done.

PDG,
    The musicians and commander are super!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

PDG,
    How many units will be allowed? Four? more?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Tired of TWC Arrogance

PDG,
    How many units will be allowed? Four? more?
    Given we have used PoE's input that the solid marine infantry were formed from their artillery I think that there were probably not a huge number of them. So I will go for maximum 2 units campaign and one-off battle. I will sent those units to 180 men and have them take 3 turns to recruit on the assumption the units would require considerable effort to select, pull from the navy, and transport to muster from ships and ports.

If you want more, or if you want different stats (I have made them pretty good!) than I have used then you can just change them using PFM.

I have decided to set them as "poorly trained" as I don't think as hardened fighters of the sea they were exactly parade-ground drilled.

Last edited by Pdguru; February 15, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Marines unit and updated names file now in OP.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Thanks

V.E.

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Tired of TWC Arrogance

You're welcome, Vennonetes.

Well, having finished the Marines for Ordoprinceps, despite my threats of a pox on private parts in the OP, apart from a few good chaps above, there's been no feedback from the hundreds of downloaders. Such a pity; I tire too easily of one-ways streets. Therefore I will return to doing the units for my own use (and that of reciprocal friends), will continue to post pictures of the units I put together, and will welcome input.

Please all download what you intend to use from the OP before I take them down later today. For those who have the units already please continue to enjoy them but do not distribute in any way without my prior permission.

Anyone wishing to use the units or my illustrations of them for their own mods and marketing please give me a heads-up prior to doing so, and due credit in your mod information.

Cheers all.
    Last edited by Pdguru; February 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Decanus

Icon7 Re: Pdguru's Mods

I´m the first downloading the new marine unit
    Finally i he system allowed me to give another Rep!
    Maester, can you tell me how to capture and send a pic (i owe you the pics from the Wallon Guards... and i´m ready to send a great pic only with french marines units to Ordoprinceps...)
    Thank you very much Great Maester.

Given we have used PoE's input that the solid marine infantry were formed from their artillery I think that there were probably not a huge number of them. So I will go for maximum 2 units campaign and one-off battle. I will sent those units to 180 men and have them take 3 turns to recruit on the assumption the units would require considerable effort to select, pull from the navy, and transport to muster from ships and ports.

If you want more, or if you want different stats (I have made them pretty good!) than I have used then you can just change them using PFM.

I have decided to set them as "poorly trained" as I don't think as hardened fighters of the sea they were exactly parade-ground drilled.

Sounds reasonable. I must learn how to use PFM
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Marines unit and updated names file now in OP.
    On my way sir!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

PDG,
    I tried a quick battle and the detail on the units in the field is not only up to, but perhaps surpasses your usual high standards. The detail on the shakos, the cockade and the badge is exceptional. Down to the last button on the uniforms with very high detail on the equipment, this unit is exceptional!

I also appreciate the fact that you set the accuracy and reloading skills as well as morale where you did considering that these would have been select men from the fleet.

You have done me such a great favor in creating this unit that I feel embarrassed to mention anything that is not praise. Before the battle starts when all the other units are lined up in a standard line formation the new Marines are formed up in a square like the French National Guard units from the Italian campaign.

Personally I very much like the fact that they can form a square (I like them as line infantry), but in the unit abilities tab it indicates that they are skirmishers. I know that sort of thing is a very minor tweak and you did tremendously excellent artwork on these and incredibly fast turnaround time. I am sure you were concentrating on the detail of the skins.

Is it possible to add a regimental flag bearer to this unit?

As for the write up about the unit that typically goes in the square below the picture, I wonder if you would allow me to write something up and submit it to you for your approval for this unit in the future?
    Thank you so very much once again, not just for this very fine unit, but for all of your exceptional work!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

PDG,
    I have also downloaded your added names file and unzip it in my data folder. I do not know why but the unit name does not appear. It has not seem to be affected the unit names of the other units as has been the case when I have downloaded unit mods from lutland. Can you please tell me how I correct this so that the unit name will appear?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

PDG
    I tried to rep you on this new Marine unit but it didn't work.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox