Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats with the Spartans?

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Whats with the Spartans?

spartans were indeed uber eilte..and they really should continue to be :/

maybe a balance act - increase cost a bit and make the stats better.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

i think their stats are good, but another couple hundred denarii would be good.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I think as some of you others, that the spartans should in the end beat others in hand to hand combat. Nothing wrong with that.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

U see those guys ? one on one they suck big time, they'll lose to and elite but in number they rule , cannot be beaten , +3 exp = 20 armour ( i forgot the attack ) so with 2 hitpoints 4 charge they own big time ; maybe i'll attack the romans coz they're ****in me off and see if they can match my spartans , of course after 236
    As for the hoplites ... hm.. let's see , yeah they should be albe to make a phalanx formation the armoured hoplites r just fine , btw the sacred band and the armoured hoplite have about the same statistics (armour , attack, blabla , they even look the same, allmost ) so i was wondering on 1 vs 1 who'll win ?!

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

I just changed thier armour to metal, and gave them 12 defense for armour. They count as very well armoured, and whipe the floor with any other infantry. I thought hell, they're wearing a bronze muscled Cuairass, why do they still ahve the defense of leather armour? True they ahve like 25 defense in total, but Spartans were the best of the best.

The spartans, were trained to find in close qauters fighting with thier Kipos, or short swords. After their xstyon broke. They would utterly destroy a legionaire in close combat, one on one. After all they spent their entire life training for war, a Roman joins the Legions, to get paid, fed medical care etc. They are well trained, but they fight because they are told too. Spartans fight because it is all they know. But luckily for the Romans, by that stage, their was barely enough Spartans to form a unit, less then 300 men. Spartan see's legionaire, cahrges legionaire. The legionaies chance of hitting the Spartan with his Pilii, is zero to none. He braces his shield, show's signs of fear, as it is obviosu the Spartan really doesn't care whever he lvies or dies. Most liely scenario, the Xyston goes clean through the legionaires shield, with enough force from a charge, which will kill the poor roman. That or he gets bowled to the ground, and is stabbed.
    Last edited by Locky; May 08, 2006 at 08:49 AM.

as the macedonians, in a battle with my full stack, levy pikemen, archers, peltasts, one general, and the rest cav, it took me forever to destroy one unit of spartans. they are crazy. I had to completely surround them with a full army and still they won't rout. ranged agaisnt them is useless. so what i destroyed them all in the end, when i lost like 400 men doing so?

so yes, i reckon the spartans are pretty good as they are already. love the mod too. :original:

edit: or maybe im crap...
    Horse Archers = GOD

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Locky, the metal/leather definitons of armour in export_descr_unit just affects what sound the unit makes when they get hit, it does nothing to their defensive stats. Spartans are uber enough as it is, they aren't getting a boost. Oh, and for the sacred band and armoured hoplites:

Sacred Band
    Attack: 12
    Defense: 23
    Morale: 25 disciplined highly trained

Armoured Hoplites:
    Attack: 9
    Defense: 21
    Morale: 23 normal highly trained

They share the same model that is why the look similar, and the difference in their stats means that sacred band will own armoured hoplites.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

There lusted has solved the sacred band problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Locky
    I just changed thier armour to metal, and gave them 12 defense for armour. They count as very well armoured, and whipe the floor with any other infantry. I thought hell, they're wearing a bronze muscled Cuairass, why do they still ahve the defense of leather armour? True they ahve like 25 defense in total, but Spartans were the best of the best.

The spartans, were trained to find in close qauters fighting with thier Kipos, or short swords. After their xstyon broke. They would utterly destroy a legionaire in close combat, one on one. After all they spent their entire life training for war, a Roman joins the Legions, to get paid, fed medical care etc. They are well trained, but they fight because they are told too. Spartans fight because it is all they know. But luckily for the Romans, by that stage, their was barely enough Spartans to form a unit, less then 300 men. Spartan see's legionaire, cahrges legionaire. The legionaies chance of hitting the Spartan with his Pilii, is zero to none. He braces his shield, show's signs of fear, as it is obviosu the Spartan really doesn't care whever he lvies or dies. Most liely scenario, the Xyston goes clean through the legionaires shield, with enough force from a charge, which will kill the poor roman. That or he gets bowled to the ground, and is stabbed.
    ů

-Man that's cool and real spartan description...thank you for saying that even with the sword the spartan was stronger than anything else.
    the Kopis is a stabing and cuting sword?Was it better than the gladius?

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiponja_Hayabusa View Post
    ů

-Man that's cool and real spartan description...thank you for saying that even with the sword the spartan was stronger than anything else.
    the Kopis is a stabing and cuting sword?Was it better than the gladius?
    I don't really think they are comparable. More like apples and oranges. The Kopis is more like a falcatta. It is made for hacking but could also be a OK thrusting weapon. While the gladius is more of a thrusting weapon and isn't as good for hacking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12