Thread: Can't get strat voices to work

Default Can't get strat voices to work

I'm trying to introduce new voices to my mod. However, the game is not reproducing the files. I checked the format, and it seems correct: .wav file 22khz 16 bits mono. The files are correctly located as well. Could you please help me spot the problem? Thanks.
    There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Default Re: Can't get strat voices to work

The way I got it to work was record the voices I wanted to use. Then in my audio editor, pasted that over one of the original sound files. then did a "saved as" using the name I wanted to use. For some reason that was the only way I could get it to work.

Thanks for your answer. You mean, you opened the original file, you just recorded your voice over it and then saved it with another name?
    BTW, are you using a mod folder?
    Thanks

I record the voice I want to use. Save that file in mp3 format. Then using an audio editor I open a file from the game. Paste the new file over the old one. Then did a save as function with a new name. For some reason, I've never been able to just record a sound and save it to mp3 and have it work. But it works fine if you do it this way.

Ok, but the output file is a .wav, right? I mean, the original game uses .wav, and not .mp3... I couldn't make mp3 to work on strat map and I don't know if that's the problem.

That's the beauty of pasting it over an original file. The editor will save the new file in whatever format it was originally

Right... I will try to find out the format of the original files, as I have like hundreds of voice files... Thanks!

All you should have to do is just open one of the files that just like the one you want to make. Then when you do a save as the editor should just save it back in the same format. That's all I've ever had to do.

Stupidity report:

OK, it seems that strat map voices did actually play... the thing was that when changing format from mp3 to wav, the files were slowed down, so I didn't realized they were played... What I did now was to speed them up 100% using Audacity (so I can make a command chain and I don't have to speed them up 1 by 1).

So, the issue seems to be solved now. I will test the result in a few minutes.