Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim Q&A [Ask Your Skyrim Questions Here! Spoilers]

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Skyrim Q&A [Ask Your Skyrim Questions Here! Spoilers]

I heard the the light armor gives ur char. a speed boost? Is this true, as I really feel/see no difference.
    Perhaps a speed boost is an effect of some enchanted set or light armor perk but I think more than likely where-ever you heard it from meant that light armor weighs significantly less than heavy armor and thus frees up more space in your inventory and maybe increase how quickly your character moves (though I doubt it).

- How do I contact the assassins guild?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Dark Brotherhood can either be found by going around in Windhelm and seeing if anyone says anything about Aventus Aretino or you might receive a letter from a random courier from Aretino asking you to come to Windhelm and speak with him. I got the letter one time in Whiterun after completing a random side quest there (the one for the Grey-Manes I believe)

- How do I increase my speech (apart from buying and selling stuff)?
    Some bards that can be found in taverns and inns will be able to increase your skill if you pay them (but not every bard can do this). I would then also assume that you'd probably be able to find a speech trainer for sure at the Bard's College.

EDIT:

So there have been a good amount of questions and answers now. I will start to compile these in a spoiler on the first page of the thread. That being said, if you're visiting the thread for the first time please make sure to check the first page to see if you're question has already been covered.

Anyone know if a complete set of Ancient Nord Armor exists in the game? I had been through like 7 or 8 tombs and barrows before I finally came across an ancient nord helmet and ancient nord boots.
    Last edited by VOP2288; November 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Anyone know if a complete set of Ancient Nord Armor exists in the game? I had been through like 7 or 8 tombs and barrows before I finally came across an ancient nord helmet and ancient nord boots.
    I believe that if you do the Companion's quest line, eventually you can make your own set of Ancient Nord armour at the Skyforge. At least you have to free Kodlak's spirit from the beast blood. After I did this, I was wandering around Whiterun, decided to talk to Eorlund, and he remarked about the Skyforge seeming like it was able to create things that hadn't been seen for some time... I checked it out and it was an option - along with "Hero Ancient Nord" weapons (or similar name...) which were under the "Draugr" creation tab. For some reason, the Ancient Nord armour was under the "Daedric" tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm gonna get me this game.. end of this month.

Never played Oblivion but did played the one before that.

I saw sales on Steam for Oblivion. Is it worth it ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Is it worth it ?
    YES.

Edit: For Skyrim of course. Oblivion was good but Skyrim is better.
    Last edited by Cahoma; November 19, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I'm gonna get me this game.. end of this month.

Never played Oblivion but did played the one before that.

I saw sales on Steam for Oblivion. Is it worth it ?
    Choosing between oblivion and Skyrim is a no-brainer, Skyrim is miles better in every possible way.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Is it possible to get a mount for your companion? Having to wait for them on long journeys on a horse is getting tiresome. I tried using the command function to get lydia to get onto a horse but the only option was to attack it D:

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    Is it possible to get a mount for your companion? Having to wait for them on long journeys on a horse is getting tiresome. I tried using the command function to get lydia to get onto a horse but the only option was to attack it D:
    I googled it and it seems you can't mount your companions on a horse.

I have a few questions.

1.Can dog companions keep up with a character mounted on a horse?

2.Can you select stances for your companions?I'm a shadowy archer so i don't like to go head long into a fight and a stupid companion could ruin it all.Is it worth getting a companion or it will ruin my game?
    Last edited by ShockBlast; November 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Tribunus

Generally speaking if your game is stealth, then you go alone.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Generally speaking if your game is stealth, then you go alone.
    I was thinking about this but i can't set them on a defensive stance so they attack if they are attacked or if i go into melee?

Stealth play has it's advantages and hit and run tactics can work quite well without a companion but in the city some melee skill is needed,sometimes you just end up nose to nose with an enemy with no room for manouvre.

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

It really pissed me off how you can't access Labyrinthian unless you complete 9/10 of the College questline, I defeated all of the Dragon Priests except Morokei only to find out I have to spend hours doing quests I've already completed on my previous playthrough.

Tribunus

Generally speaking, given how badly the game is balanced, if at any stage (at all) your life is in danger and you don't have a dragon, two bears, a few dozen bandits and a sabrecat trying to kill you at once, then clearly you're not using enough potions. And this is coming from the masochist who plays on the highest difficulty and deliberately gimps himself in terms of what is and is not allowed.

Unless you're putting limits on it yourself most fights are inconsequential in comparison to how godly overpowered Alchemy (and come to think of it by extension all crafting) is.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

In the OP you say that there's only one way to become a werewolf. Can't you become one too by doing a quest for
    Hircine
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Tribunus

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post

2.Can you select stances for your companions?I'm a shadowy archer so i don't like to go head long into a fight and a stupid companion could ruin it all.Is it worth getting a companion or it will ruin my game?
    if you go into sneak mode, they will too. they can also use bows if their AI thinks its appropriate. there are more 'shadowy' than normal companions to recruit from. there's an elf in the Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun and there are a couple of archers as well. give it a test run through a dungeon to see if they behave.

I actualy had a great experience with Marcurio the mage that can be hired in Riften in Bee and Bard. His lightning spells and fire spells were a good adition to any battle i had, with my redguard two handed expert.
    And i also i could sneak without any problems.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

I also do the sneak archer thang. I don't like having a companion around because they tend to break out of stealth and go melee. I leave them at the entrances or outside of dungeons as pack mules.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

My question is: is anyone else bored of Skyrim? I mean, I am making a conscious effort to find the game interesting and exciting, pushing myself again and again to play it but so far nothing. There is something that I can't quite put my finger on that is missing. There was in Morrowind and you could find traces of it in Oblivion but there is none of it left in Skyrim. And it is not like I was not excited about this game before it came out!

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

@Pirate Cahoma

Technically yes however it's a bit complicated:

The Cursed Ring of Hircine that Sinding gives you will transform you at random but if you complete his quest (Ill Met By Moonlight) and choose to kill the hunters instead of Sinding Hircine will remove the curse and the only power the ring has is letting you transform into a werewolf one additional time per 24 hours - an ability completely useless unless you already ARE a werewolf via the Companions.
    Last edited by VOP2288; November 19, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    My question is: is anyone else bored of Skyrim? I mean, I am making a conscious effort to find the game interesting and exciting, pushing myself again and again to play it but so far nothing. There is something that I can't quite put my finger on that is missing. There was in Morrowind and you could find traces of it in Oblivion but there is none of it left in Skyrim. And it is not like I was not excited about this game before it came out!
    skyrim it is alot more fun then Oblivion ever was imo. Allthough you might get a great amount of quests wich can be overwhelming, and one might tend to be bored faced at so long list of quests. BUt the trick is just pick one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
    -
    Go to Riften
    The Thieves Guild location is hardly a spoiler - one of the loading screens even tells you where it is.

Can anyone confirm whether quest reward items are levelled significantly?

For example:

After completing the Potema questline in Solitude you get a solitude shield (with magical bonuses) as a reward. In my case I got it at level 30-something, and its armour rating was only 1 less than a Glass Shield. If I had been a much lower level character at the time of completing the quest, would the shield have been considerably weaker?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; November 19, 2011 at 08:16 PM.