Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim Q&A [Ask Your Skyrim Questions Here! Spoilers]

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Skyrim Q&A [Ask Your Skyrim Questions Here! Spoilers]

After mulling about in the official Skyrim thread for the past few days I've come to the conclusion it might be helpful to add yet another Skyrim-related topic to the section. The unfortunate truth is that questions people have asked in the main thread usually have a 50% chance of actually getting answered - not b/c no one wants to answer them but b/c they just kind of get lost when within a 24 hour period 5 or 6 additional pages get added to the topic.

So here's this thread.

Skyrim is a gigantic world with seemingly endless secrets and mysteries tucked away and already I've accumulate quite a few questions regarding all sorts of things as I'm sure other people have as well.

So please, if you have any inquires about the game whether it be about a quest, location, gameplay element, etc do so here and hopefully people who have the knowledge will satiate your curiosity.

Questions and Answers:

A. Noob Questions

What is Skyrim?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Skyrim is the fifth title in the medieval fantasy Elder Scrolls role-playing game series developed by Bethesda. Like the typical Bethesda game Skyrim features a large world totally open to exploration but also features a massive quantity of both story driven quests and other quests and tasks that will take you across the expansive game world and back again. As with most medieval fantasy RPGs the game totes a varying assortment of races which the player can create a character from and encounter in the game (Nords, Imperials, Red Guards, Bretons, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, High Elves, Orcs, Khajit, and Argonians) along with plenty of enemies ranging from Bandits and Bears to Dragons and Demons. To help you slay your foes you have a plethora of weapons covering melee and ranged combat but are also able to use spells and magic (or both). To hone your play style there exists an experience system which grants the player the opportunity to upgrade their skills and abilities over the course of the game. The biggest draw to Bethesda's games however is the fact that the player can do virtually anything they want within the game world at any time. Want to explore random ruins for 10 hours? You can do it. Want to become a master thief and steal EVERYTHING in the game world? You can do it. Want to just go about killing everything? You can do it. You get the point.

Do I Have to Play the Previous Elder Scrolls Games to "Get" Skyrim?
    No. Each Elder Scrolls game tends to be set hundreds of years (in the lore) apart from one another and typically are void of characters and essential knowledge only available in past titles. Usually any information regarding the stories and experiences in past games can be read in Skyrim's countless in-game books or simply looked up on the internet. However if you'd like to back-track and play the others the main series consists of Arena (1994), Daggerfall (1996), Morrowind (2002), and Oblivion (2006).

How Do I Take Screenshots and Where Do the Files Go?
    In-game screenshots can be taken by pressing either the "Prt Scrn" (Print Screen) or F12 key on your keyboard. If you have the Steam overlay enabled the screenshots can be accessed via the Library by right clicking on Skyrim and selecting "View Screenshots". This will bring up the appropriate manager for viewing your pictures. If you'd like to find the actual files simply click on the "Show on Disk" tab located at the bottom of the manager.

How Do I Fast Travel?
    To fast travel you first and foremost have to visit the location on either foot, horseback, or by carriage. A black icon on the navigation portion of the HUD and on the in-game map means the location has not been discovered yet and is not able to be fast-traveled to. When it appears grey that means it's discovered and can be fast-traveled to by opening the map, clicking on the location, and selecting yes when the game asks you if you'd like to fast travel to the area.

How Does Lockpicking Work?
    If you've played Fallout 3 it's pretty much exactly the same concept. You move the lockpick around while also moving the lock itself. The objective is to find the spot where the lock completely turns to the right and you open the chest or door. You can judge how close you are to where the lockpick needs to be by how far you can turn the lock - the further it can turn the closer you are to finding the correct position. You'll break lockpicks if you turn the lock for too long on an incorrect lockpick-position so it's a touch and go process. Also, the preciseness of the lockpick position will increase with the quality of the lock (Novice, Adept, Master, etc).

What Does the "Cleared" Tag Mean Under a Location's Name?
    "Cleared" under a location's name means that the player has previously gone through the area and cleared it of all enemies and explored it completely. However, "Cleared" will never appear for locations like cities and villages nor will it appear if a specific task or quest associated with the area has not been completed yet or even found. "Cleared" will regenerate enemies and loot. Essentially, the "Cleared" tag is a way for the player to tell which areas they've gone through before as opposed to simply passing by on the way to do something else.

What Does "Favorite" Mean in the Item Selection Menu?
    Indicating something like a sword or piece of armor or what have you simply allows the player to hotkey that item. By assigning it a number you can easily switch between your favored items in the heat of battle.

I Lost My Horse/Companion! How Do I Get Them Back?
    Assuming your horse or your companion is not dead they should appear nearby when you fast travel to a different location. A horse, I believe, will appear in the stables if you fast travel to a city though.

Other Questions...(Will be organized later)

How Many Join-able Factions Are in the Game and Where Do I Find Them?

Skyrim features seven confirmed join-able factions: Stormcloaks (Windhelm), Imperial Army (Solitude), Companions/Fighter's Guild (Whiterun), Bards College (Solitude), College of Winterhold/Mage's Guild (Winterhold), Thieves Guild (Riften), and the Dark Brotherhood (accessed via the Innocence Lost quest).

What's the Deal with Companions (i.e. tag-along characters)?

Companions can be found here and there throughout the world and can be asked to follow the player as they venture out into the world. Personally I can confirm that you can find three companions in Whiterun (one in the Inn, another in the Drunken Huntsmanm and the third as a reward for a quest from the Jarl), one in Morthal (usually hanging around by the burned down house), and one in Windhelm (in the tavern). Companions will follow you and help you kill anything that stands in your way. Unfortunately though there exists little to no conversation opportunities, quests, or depth to these characters - they're just glorified pack mules who lend you a hand. You can give your comrades weapons and armor but they will only equip whatever is the most powerful.

*Note* There seems to be confusion regarding the death of companions. When a companion is drained of all their health they will kneel down for a bit and then revive if left alone. HOWEVER if the player themselves hits them with a melee attack, arrow, dragon shout (like Force), or spell THEY WILL DIE FOR GOOD. There also exists the possibility that your companion can be killed by an enemy. This will usually happen due to that enemy trying to hit you but missing and hitting your downed companion.

How Do I Become a Werewolf or Vampire? What Benefits Do Each Give Me?

To become a Werewolf you have to complete all of the quests for the Companions in Whiterun or you must speak with Sinding who's locked away in Falkreath's jail and complete the quest Ill Met By Moonlight. While not 100% confirmed it may also be possible to encounter werewolves at random in the world and inherit the disease from them as well. Transforming into a werewolf (an ability known as "Beast Mode") is limited - if you become one via the Companions you can only transform once every 24 hours. Obtaining the Cursed Ring of Hircine from Sinding will transform you at random and can never been taken off however the curse can be removed from the ring upon choosing to kill the hunters attacking Sindring at the end of Ill Met By Moonlight. If the curse is removed from the ring it will simply become Hircine's Ring and will grant the wearer one additional transformation every 24 hours. HOWEVER - Hircine's Ring is useless unless you become a full blown Werewolf through the Companions.

When the player is in Beast Mode he'll transform and become incredibly more powerful in melee, be able to take large amounts of damage, have super speed, and can access certain abilities (Howl of Rage, Howl of the Pack, and Scent of Blood). Beast Mode only lasts 2.5 minutes and can be increased by increments of 30 seconds if the player feeds on playable races. Take note that virtually every NPC will see you as hostile and will attack you so be sure to let Beast Mode wear off before entering a highly populated area.

To become a Vampire it's a much more easier process. All you have to do is simply engage a Vampire in combat and take enough hits for one until you see the Sanguinare Vampiris disease appear on your HUD. After that you have 72 hours to cure yourself before turning into a full fledged vampire. There are three stages of being vampire that vary in benefits and weakness - too many to go over here. Redirect yourself to this page for details concerning those specific abilities and the how-to for curing yourself after you've become a full fledged Vampire.

What's the Best Way to Deal With a Giant?

Giant's are tough SOBs and honestly I'm not entirely sure if there is an ideal level in which to effectively engage them (I'm currently a level 26 and I can still get crushed to death by one swing from their clubs!). However you can certainly outsmart them and bring them down regardless. So far the most popular of giant killing strategies seems to be the ol' hit and run routine. Using a bow or one of your spells make sure you keep your distance and just fire away at the big guy. When he approaches you you can't hesitate for one second, turn and sprint. When you're absolutely sure you're far enough away turn back around and hit him again.

There's also the option of using special opportunities or, essentially, unfair advantages. For instance if you happen to be near some more powerful creatures you can get them to chase you, get the giant to come after you, and then watch the show as the giant may forget about you for a second and try to kill whatever you baited along. During this time feel free to start pouring arrows or spells into him. Another slight exploit is trying to find a location where the giant might not be able to get to you. I recall one giant's camp was right alongside a cliff-face. All I did was wedge myself into some pocket in the rock, take aim, and let loose arrow after arrow as the behemoth just sprinted about having no idea and no way possible to get to me.

More to come...too tired right now

*Note* If anyone's questions could reveal sensitive information please put it in spoilers please.
    Last edited by VOP2288; November 22, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Default Re: Skyrim Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    4. Is there any way to become a werewolf outside of joining the Companions?
    I am fairly certain that there is another way to become a werewolf, though I haven't actually done it myself.
    Hircine's quest can result in you getting a ring that allows you to transform into a werewolf once per day(twice if you're already a werewolf).

6. Is there any ideal level to be when engaging a giant? I tried to fight one at level 23 and I still got smashed with one hit.
    As high as possible?

7. Are the Miscellaneous quests what Bethesda was referring to when they said you could literally play the game forever b/c random quests would keep generating?
    Yeah probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Tribunus

1. I've looked in what I could in the .esm files, as far as I can tell the grain mill has a function but it isn't scripted for in the game. It appears in dozens of NPC scripts however, so it could just be set dressing. Expect a "make the grain mill useful" mod any day now.

2. That is pretty much it from a "Major factions" point of view, there are a slew of minor factions you end up joining through quests though.

By fighting them. You get a disease, which can be cured, called Sanguinare I believe, and if you cure the disease you do not become a vampire however if you leave it long enough you do.

You can cure straight up vampirism by either becoming a Werewolf (if you are one you won't get the disease anyway) and you can cure it rather easily.

Hircene's Ring, randomly.

5. Vigilants of Stendarr are one of the minor factions.

6. It depends on how you play the game, if you're stupid enough to ever be in melee range then you deserve to be squished.

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

How do you take a screenshot WITH the game, and not steam or fraps?

Where it'll say "blahblah.bmp added" on the upper left.

Tribunus

Print Screen, just as it has always been. I don't think the message appears in game however.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Print Screen, just as it has always been. I don't think the message appears in game however.
    Where do they go?

See, I'm having a weird issue where fraps won't work and print screen only works some of the time

Tribunus

In the Skyrim directory in the Steam folder.

Nothing. :-/

Weird.

Figured it out. It was the d3d9.dll being in the skyrim folder. Took it out and fraps is back working
    Last edited by Graphic; November 17, 2011 at 02:29 AM.

Default Re: Skyrim Q&A (Spoilers)

I edited the title to include (Spoilers), just a heads up. Most people probably know all of what's been mentioned, but I figured just to be safe...
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    How do you take a screenshot WITH the game, and not steam or fraps?

Where it'll say "blahblah.bmp added" on the upper left.
    f12 and then they're added to the steam screenshots, that's the only way I have got it to work.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Sorry for the double post here but I have a question: I know that we can buy houses, I would like to buy one but I would like to buy the best one so I don't want to spend my money on the others. Can soneone tell me which one is the best in size and visualy.

Also I have a trick to get the house in Whitrun Free so if someon is interested just ask here or PM me

SA
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus

I think the best one(most expensive anyway) is in Solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Cahoma View Post
    I think the best one(most expensive anyway) is in Solitude.
    Is it that one that is not just a simple house but a manor? I've heard someone say that they had bought a Manor and it was awesome

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Is it that one that is not just a simple house but a manor? I've heard someone say that they had bought a Manor and it was awesome
    Yeah, it's called Proudspire Manor.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Lock-picking is unclear. What do I have to do?

Is there an arena anywhere to earn a starting amount of money just like in Oblivion?

EDIT
    Also I have a trick to get the house in Whitrun Free so if someon is interested just ask here or PM me
    Yes please, I need somewhere to store my stuff...
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Cahoma View Post
    Yeah, it's called Proudspire Manor.

Great thanks it should be awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post

Is there an arena anywhere to earn a starting amount of money just like in Oblivion?

Lock picking is very simple you need to move your left hand then try gently to move your right one is it doesn't move or shake stop moving the right hand, move in another angle your left hand and retry.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; November 17, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Skyrim Q&A [Ask Your Skyrim Questions Here! Spoilers]

If you've played Fallout 3 it's pretty much exactly the same concept. You move the lockpick around while also moving the lock itself. The objective is to find the spot where the lock completely turns to the right and you open the chest or door. You can judge how close you are to where the lockpick needs to be by how far you can turn the lock - the further it can turn the closer you are to finding the correct position. You'll break lockpicks if you turn the lock for too long on an incorrect lockpick-position so it's a touch and go process. Also, the preciseness of the lockpick position will increase with the quality of the lock (Novice, Adept, Master, etc).

I don't believe so but don't consider that a confirmation - like I said in the OP this game has a lot of content hidden away that has yet to be experienced by everyone. However if you need gold don't fret, there are plenty of other ways to earn it. Gold is pretty plentiful in explorable areas (caves, dungeons, fortresses, etc) but you can also earn gold by doing odd jobs like some miscellaneous quests, cutting wood, mining, hunting (i.e. hunting animals and selling their hides and ingredients), collecting alchemy ingredients (plants and what-not), and smithing to name a few.

@MagicMan

Vampires -

But what bonuses and abilities/restrictions does being a vampire give you? Does it grant bonuses to melee and magika?

Vigilants -

Are they join-able and/or do you get a series of quests from them?
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

^ Thanks for your answers guys, +rep.

Just one last question : any good storage areas? how do I fast travel.

Sorry for the beginners questions
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

You need to have discovered the place before you can fast travel there. ie you need to walk there, or you can take a carriage if it's a city/major town. From then on you can just go the world map and click the location - a message box will show up asking if you want to travel there. Click yes.

Your house is the only storage that doesn't refresh and make all the stuff disappear, as far as I know.

Tribunus

@VOP:

Vigilants -

Not so far, they have a base somewhere south of Riften I believe, check it out see what's there. I recently discovered that you're only offered certain quests when you reach a given skill level/disposition with a set group/item possessed and I've been digging through the quest triggers, they're freaking huge. Can't wait to start modding them as you'll literally be able to generate dozens of quests for any area.

As well as that they've cleaned up the individual location and instancing scripting quite a bit.

Vampires-
    A few new powers/spells, bonuses to Illusion/Stealth and some resistance to poison.

Degrading stats during the day, varying weakness to fire, can actually prevent you from completing certain quest chains.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast