Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim mods

Default Re: Skyrim mods

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    Should we have a little fun with a plausability debate?
    If you like dual wielding great swords you need a jrpg
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Nah. Jrpg's are too furry.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

So you are saying you finally uninstalled the female khajiit nude mod?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Tribunus

The issue shouldn't be realism, it should be balance.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    So you are saying you finally uninstalled the female khajiit nude mod?

Look, I have no control over the quality of the uninstall program. It's just not my fault some of the textures remain.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Well of coarse you couldn't hold it drawn back forever but depending on the bow's draw-strength and the user's own strength and skill you're going to get different outcomes in terms of how long a bow could be fully drawn for. rrgg wanted a mod that made it so that bows would automatically loose their arrows when fully drawn - claiming that to be realistic when in fact, if the user is strong enough, they could easily hold a drawn bow for however long their muscles permitted them to.

Also take into account the context. This is a medieval fantasy game where many of the aspects of true medieval life remain unchanged. Bows were a big part of that medieval lifestyle for both hunting game and for war. That being said, it can be assumed then that most of the bandits, soldiers, and such you come across in Skyrim were probably raised using bows in one way or another. When you practice with something and use it for years upon years upon years you get better with it and can steadily move up the ladder in terms of draw weight - hence why there were medieval soldiers who could easily fire a longbow with a nearly 200lb draw weight.

And yes, I actually use bows for both sport and hunting.

IMO, a mod that maybe drains your stamina or the stamina of NPCs the longer you hold the bow drawn would be a better idea than the one rrgg had.
    Unfortunately no one actually fought that way, A. the soldier wants to fire as many arrows as possible and he can't do that if his arms are exausted after the first one, B. he needs to fire many arrows as quickly as he can, why waste time to sap his arm strength?

As I mentioned earlier requiring stamina to hold the bow would be a bad idea. It turns shooting the bow into some awful "click at the right moment" minigame that breaks up any flow there is to shooting arrow after arrow, and doesn't make any sense when in real life you would be able to feel when the bow was drawn fully back.

But if you really feel inclined to add to my mod suggestion, how about this: the default has the bow release automatically when fully drawn but once you get either the zoom or slow time perk you are able to keep it drawn back at the expense of stamina (which would make sense since you'd need experience or training to hold your bow back like that).

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
    Unfortunately no one actually fought that way, A. the soldier wants to fire as many arrows as possible and he can't do that if his arms are exausted after the first one, B. he needs to fire many arrows as quickly as he can, why waste time to sap his arm strength?

As I mentioned earlier requiring stamina to hold the bow would be a bad idea. It turns shooting the bow into some awful "click at the right moment" minigame that breaks up any flow there is to shooting arrow after arrow, and doesn't make any sense when in real life you would be able to feel when the bow was drawn fully back.

But if you really feel inclined to add to my mod suggestion, how about this: the default has the bow release automatically when fully drawn but once you get either the zoom or slow time perk you are able to keep it drawn back at the expense of stamina (which would make sense since you'd need experience or training to hold your bow back like that).
    Soldier and adventurer are two very different things. Soldiers just need to shoot arrows at a huge mass of troops a long way off. Adventurers will be using archery more like hunters

http://youtu.be/mmMl6M_gTpA#t=1m25s
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Soldier and adventurer are two very different things. Soldiers just need to shoot arrows at a huge mass of troops a long way off. Adventurers will be using archery more like hunters

http://youtu.be/mmMl6M_gTpA#t=1m25s
    Most modern compound bows like that are specifically designed so that they may be held at full draw with very little effort. Also remember that most medieval hunting bows would have been far less powerful than the warbows used by soldiers.

The principle is still the same though. You are not worried about rapid fire as an adventurer, you can take a moment to get your shot even if it's hard because fighting whatever that is will likely be much harder than holding that bow drawn. I could understand there being a small time limit for how long you can keep it drawn but an instant fire hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    The principle is still the same though. You are not worried about rapid fire as an adventurer, you can take a moment to get your shot even if it's hard because fighting whatever that is will likely be much harder than holding that bow drawn. I could understand there being a small time limit for how long you can keep it drawn but an instant fire hell no.
    If you are talking about an adventurer who only uses a light bow for hunting and never actually brings it out in combat then perhaps. But that's not the kind of adventurer I want to play, and it's definitely not the kind of adventurer I want to see all the NPCs playing. I'd much rather see something fluid like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1YwJQtEUs.

If anyone doesn't think that doesn't sound fun then they can stick with the vanilla or use another mod.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Has anyone given the ENBSeries graphics mod a shot?

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2971

It's kind of neat and it's nice to see that the mod doesn't hit my performance as much as I thought it would but there's definitely an issue with the brightness and contrast. I kind of wish I could scale it down a tad yet I have no clue how to do that in in .ini file.

seems to be your general quantity over quality mod. Dual wielding Great Swords? Yeah right.
    I wouldn't count out the mod based solely on that. I mean, you're not seeing NPCs dual wielding greatswords but the option is there if the player wants to. Now the the mod is at 0.44 and they've added more stuff in terms of alchemy, smithing, etc. The new version also added in an Imperial Spear and an Imperial Pike - I have yet to come across one or craft one yet but I'll let you know how well it works when I do.
    Last edited by VOP2288; December 09, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

I'm getting an appcrash with the 4GB LAA mod. Anyone knows a solution (besides waiting for the official patch)?

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Someone has to make a destructable world mod. I wanna see dragons burning cities!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Civitate

So I'm uninstalling the ENBSeries mod.

Yeah, it did kind of make the game look better but the contrast and brightness was too whacked and for some reason the mod caused the game to crash if you tried to open your map while inside a dungeon.

Also for those that want "Glamazons" as they're called in their Skyrim check this mod out

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2812

It turns pretty much every female NPC into super model material if that's your thing.

I'm going to guess everyone who downloaded that one also downloaded the nude mod

My shameful truth.

Tribunus

Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    So I'm uninstalling the ENBSeries mod.

Yeah, it did kind of make the game look better but the contrast and brightness was too whacked and for some reason the mod caused the game to crash if you tried to open your map while inside a dungeon.
    No it doesn't and that is from personal experience.

Best 5 mods out there IMHO:

5. Very cool dragons.

4. I praise this man for fixing the god awful mountain flowers and much more.

3. Simply a must have.

2. Best atmospheric mod out there and enhances game performance immensely.

1. The most expected mod whose development should be watched closely.
    Last edited by Master Necromancer; December 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Civitate

I'm going to guess everyone who downloaded that one also downloaded the nude mod
    Probably.
    Seconded.

I didn't though b/c I really don't see the point in such things. I do like the Glamazons mod though - I'm not one of those people who gets all up in arms when a fantasy game makes everyone super unrealistically attractive. Plus having unrealistically attractive characters is the better end of the spectrum IMO after coming off Oblivion where everyone, especially females, looked like someone made a few indents in a piece of rock and put it on top of a body lol

No it doesn't and that is from personal experience.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the statement about the ENBSeries mod making the game look better or the statement about it making the game crash. I'm going to assume the first. If that's the case I do hope you realize that the Enhanced Shaders mod specifically names the ENBSeries for providing a good chunk of their work...

No. it was the second it doesn't crash my game when opening the map anywhere...

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Anyone know of compilation mods out there? I still haven't re downloaded a bunch of mods from before the patch cuz I don't feel like it