Thread: Of all Kongs Creations...

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Default Of all Kongs Creations...

...Which is your favorite? I'm torn between Third Age and Stainless Steel. They're both so fantastic...

My SS is only 6.3, because my 6.4 won't open. I get half the opening graphic that covers you screen with the Crusader on it, then nothing. But that isn't the point here!

Also, am I the only one who has noticed that sometimes, you get reluctant to hit the "end turn" button because it takes almost a full minute, sometimes a bit longer, for all the various factions to make descisions on what they want to do?

Also want to extend my gratitude to the rest of the development teams for both Third Age and SS! I know it wasn't all just Kong, and you've all done an absolutely fantastic job. Thank you!
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: Of all Kongs Creations...

For any work on Stainless Steel since version 6.1 you need to thank Gracul as mod leader rather than KK.

The time processing after you hit end turn isn't really related to ai faction decisions but rather the script running for extra features.

I suggest you play whichever scenario you prefer, medieval or fantasy.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

I play and love both, I'm more curious about what other people enjoy rather than asking for advice. Sometimes, depending on my mood, TATW is the best game ever. Sometimes, depending on mood, SS is the best thing ever.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Galain_Ironhide's Avatar Semisalis

Before my 13 month exodus from M2tw I was playing a TO campaign with ss6.1 and loved every second of it. Prior to that I played a gondor gc with tatw. At that time, whilst enjoying tatw immensely, I still thought ss was better. Now after 13 months away I started another tatw campaign with the Dwarves and got a fair way through, however again I found myself wanting nothing better than to sit down and enjoy ss. ...which I am..

Soooo SS by far.

Both of them are great games no doubt about that.

TATW is a fantasy universe fitted somehow in an engine that was not meant to be in.Although the TATW team has made an excellent job(iv spent hours and hours playing tatw) the universe of Tolkien loses something in the translation.On the good side is that it can also be challenging with some factions like Gondor or other factions like the high elves that are just EPIC to play and of course the game gives you the chance to play massive battles for the rescue or the destruction of Middle earth(and of course units like ents or Sauron).

SS is more "realistic" and the factions are better balanced there is no overpowered factions(ok maybe the Greeks but it was historically accurate).If you enable some features like BGR and RR then it can be pretty challenging especially with some factions(CS le) and that is a good think as it keeps the game interesting,more units to choose from and it incorporates the medieval period real fine.

In the end it comes down to what universe or era you prefer and what you are expecting from a game but it just feels to me that SS is a more polished game,i m not trying to take something away from the "epicness"(does the word exist??) of tatw.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Eohelm,

Byg is absolutely spot on, we owe so much to gracul, he as done a first class job with continuing the development of SS. However special thanks also goes to Byg, Caesar Clivus, Bane TW, Germanicu5 any many many more.

As for my preference, I am total addict to SS, there is nothing that can compare, TATW is a great mod, but the fantasy thing is really not my cup of tea, I find it difficult to relate too.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

I don't know... Stainless Steel is very good and everything, but its kinda unfinished... So is TATW, but it gives a much more epic feeling when playing, so I will have to go with TATW.

I love SS. I honestly do, it's the best mod I've ever played. True, there are some unfinished parts, some details need to be fixed, but the big picture is nailed. It's fun and most importantly, there's a lot of sub-mods out there that enhance the game for you.

TATW has plenty of sub-mods too and it's also a very polished game, but the biggest issue for me was the factions. Look, I'm not saying you add in made-up factions, but I just can't play with rosters that get really boring after a certain amount of time. There's only so many times you can play it and still have that huge grandeur of Middle Earth shock you into awe before it gets a little repetitive. The units and game are great, there's nothing wrong there, but I just got bored of playing as elves, men, or orcs. SS gives me a fresh faction, different challenges, and a different game each time I choose another faction to play as.

Honestly, I never played TATW, but I`m really not into fantasy stuff.
    +I find that since those movies were released there is WAAY too much hype about Tolkien works.

So, I`ll have to say that SS is the best M2TW mod for me, atm.

Plain and simple SS. It is a dream come true, at least for me.

I love The Lord of the Rings but not TATW.

I am a firm believer in Kong and the Steel the never stains.

P-Ape Stephan de St. Omer
    P-Ape and Expert Kritic of the Khurch of Kong / sig by y2day

SS definitely because there are more factions which are unique and you can take your campaigns in so many different directions while TATW gets repetitive. For instance, when I play as the Byzantines I get this awesome "restore the glory of empire" feeling and I'm very motivated to do so because you can do crazy things with it like blitz the Turks, burn Venice to the ground, make the Pope homeless, give the Fatimids the finger, save Europe from the Mongols, etc. While in TATW the only faction that comes close to that feeling for me is Gondor which gets boring after destroying Mordor. I just feel that there is much more to do in SS than TATW. Now my opinion may change when TATW 3.0 comes out . . .

Dahoota's Avatar Miles

I love both mods, although I got far more replay-ability out of SS. TATW has fewer factions and really seems to be built around playing as the southern good factions - especially Gondor. Most northern factions are too far from the action and the most evil campaigns are waaay too easy.

Whereas in SS you can get a high quality campaign out of nearly any faction. As Son of Mars said, the campaigns tend to last longer too.

I strongly recommend Baron's sub mod compilation or Frome for TATW as well. They add a lot more depth to the campaign.
    Last edited by Dahoota; November 14, 2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added last line.