Page 247 of 248 FirstFirst ... 147197222237238239240241242243244245246247248 LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 4953

Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: Alternative patch 2020

2.9 is out

What you guys think about setting the campaign start to before the events of The Hobbit? This way we would have things like The Goblin King, Bolg, Thorin, and if one day we get good animations for it, Smaug inside Erebor.

First thing, congrats on the release.

The thing about starting the campaign before The Hobbit is that it's 80 years before the events of LotR. Hence, the vast majority of the characters depicted in the books are still in the dreams of their grandparents. Moreover, Sauron still hasn't made his move. I'm not saying it wouldn't be good, just a lot different from the vanilla TATW.

Quote Originally Posted by ErTidda View Post
    First thing, congrats on the release.

The thing about starting the campaign before The Hobbit is that it's 80 years before the events of LotR. Hence, the vast majority of the characters depicted in the books are still in the dreams of their grandparents. Moreover, Sauron still hasn't made his move. I'm not saying it wouldn't be good, just a lot different from the vanilla TATW.
    Huuum... I see. It does not seem a good idea then.

Thanks.

Thanks Leo. Great mod...

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    There is now a Angmar script, like the Arnor one. When the Angmar Kingdom is reforged, the Witch King will leave Mordor and join Angmar.
    The only thing I did not manage to make was setting the Witch King of Angmar as faction leader for OOG.
    The script for doing this is ready, but I did not manage to edit descr_strat, it always gave me CTDs.
    IIRC, DaC modders said it was not possible, you can only give the Witch "King" as a general, you can't force him being leader.
    Edit: Oh? in 3.0 you actually succeeded? or it's wishfull thinking?
    Last edited by Vifarc; May 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

2.9 is out
    You did nothing for the spiders&co problem? they should be replaced for unbroken units, like bandits.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

The script works but Leo couldnt integrate it on his submod for time reasons I guess? It always gave him a ctd and he thinks is a label somewhere he missed but could not find.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

I managed to make the script work.

If Angmar gets restored, the Witch King will leave Mordor and become the faction leader of OOG.

3.0 will have this.

I managed to make the script work.

If Angmar gets restored, the Witch King will leave Mordor and become the faction leader of OOG.

3.0 will have this.
    Hi

The OP says
    "last modified today: new update"

what update?

I still have 2.9 there.
    Moreovere there already is a 3.0 changelog

I'm a little confused
    Last edited by Afterman; May 26, 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Afterman View Post
    Hi

The OP says
    "last modified today: new update"

what update?

I still have 2.9 there.
    Moreovere there already is a 3.0 changelog

I'm a little confused
    3.0 is not released yet.

The current avaliable version is 2.9, as you can see in the download section.

The "last modified today" refers to text editing of the first post of this thread, Im already writing the 3.0 changelog.

Im just here enjoying some Isengard invasion with my Mordor hordes... orcs killing orcs... how machiavellian.
    As you can see I've changed Isengard climate so its not a foggy place anymore.
    Meanwhile Im wondering if I have modidng liberty enough to add the Goblin King as faction leader for OOMM, a little disrespecting to the lore cronology but... he would be so cool as a general now that I found out how to have unique animations for them...

Hope you guys are seizing the quarantine to play TATW as I am.

Im just here enjoying some Isengard invasion with my Mordor hordes... orcs killing orcs... how machiavellian.
    As you can see I've changed Isengard climate so its not a foggy place anymore.

Hope you guys are seizing the quarantine to play TATW as I am.
    The feels...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Meanwhile Im wondering if I have modidng liberty enough to add the Goblin King as faction leader for OOMM, a little disrespecting to the lore cronology but... he would be so cool as a general now that I found out how to have unique animations for them...
    You can always sell it as the Orc chieftain slayed in battle in front of Moria by Balin's expedition. There's no description or name for him, so I guess you can take his esteemed predecessor as a reference with little to none problems. I'd just say Orc instead of Goblin, but that's a linguistic deail on how JRRT switched from the Hobbit's Goblin into the LOTR's Orc to name the same beings.

The feels...

I'll acquire a smoke pipe immediately. I knew something was missing for complete immersion.

You can always sell it as the Orc chieftain slayed in battle in front of Moria by Balin's expedition.
    The problem with this is that the battlemodel for the Goblin King is very specific and people will immediately associate him with the movie.

TATW takes some freedom while allocating the characters. Like the Balrog being awaken when you build mithril mines in Moria, despite the fact that in thelore he was awaken far before.
    Boromir being alive during all the campaign, Aragorn serving FPOE, as well as Gandalf, who can possibly never meet the balrog.
    This is ok, because the even proposal of the game is to rewrite the lore depending on the player will.
    I will medidate more about this while I smoke longbotton leaf this afternoon...

I'll acquire a smoke pipe immediately. I knew something was missing for complete immersion.
    You better do so, young lad

The problem with this is that the battlemodel for the Goblin King is very specific and people will immediately associate him with the movie.

TATW takes some freedom while allocating the characters. Like the Balrog being awaken when you build mithril mines in Moria, despite the fact that in thelore he was awaken far before.
    Boromir being alive during all the campaign, Aragorn serving FPOE, as well as Gandalf, who can possibly never meet the balrog.
    This is ok, because the even proposal of the game is to rewrite the lore depending on the player will.
    I will medidate more about this while I smoke longbotton leaf this afternoon...
    Don't touch my Boromir. He's still alive in the year the campaign is set to campaign. Maybe he was a little younger than what KK made him, but he was still alive and kicking.

You come in my alley tho: it's obvious you cannot depict perfectly the lotr lore in a videogame, moreover in a total war one (the Noldorin aka high elves still fighting? Not rexactly in JRRT mind), I think that's a given. I would not resuscitate someone so easily tho. All the compromises you cited are events that did not happen in the books, but they could still happen (and we could talk for more than an hour on how forced they are or not). But that's my opinion.

As I said before, I'd rather change the model a little and sell it as him being the nephew or the son of the 7h mistress of the Goblin King (naughty old little orc), his favourite.

Thank you Leo for continuing your great work.

I can see you found a workaround for invisible custom generals problem A shame that Balrog has to go though :/

But maybe you could have some use for invisible units anyway? Were there any aggressive ghosts in Moria lorewise?

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Thank you Leo for continuing your great work.

I can see you found a workaround for invisible custom generals problem A shame that Balrog has to go though :/

But maybe you could have some use for invisible units anyway? Were there any aggressive ghosts in Moria lorewise?
    The army of dead is lorewise, but the engine wont allow us to use semi transparent textures. So the final result will always be weird.

The army of dead is lorewise, but the engine wont allow us to use semi transparent textures. So the final result will always be weird.
    They could be silversurfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    They could be silversurfers.
    "Henceforth and forever - I am the Hoathbreaker! To save Gondor, I have sworn to serve the King! Others may battle with victory in sight - but the Surfer still strives when all hope is gone! To me my zombie horse!" - semi-quote

Btw, a small thing, I don't know if you fixed it but Blackrock Guardians and (Iron Shields or something, sry I forgot and lost my fixes, the other Orocani super elite unit) had their stats mixed up.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; July 18, 2020 at 04:37 PM. Reason: edited out link