Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

Default Re: Alternative patch 2019 (READ THE DAMN FAQ PLEASE)

Quote Originally Posted by Rora Lion View Post
    Hi all. I've been absent from the forums for a long time and from this submod since 4.9 came out I think. I'm glad to see that Leo has kept stacking more and more content on what was one of my favourite TATW submods of all time.

Howhever the installation instructions don't seem to work for me ... . Pasted this onto a clean copy of TATW 3.2; run autodelete.bat (I got a lot of "acces denied" messages) but can't launch a campaign, the game won't move from the main menu screen apart from some quick battles from where I can glimpse the newelven & dwarwen units but even there I've experienced frequent crashes.

I think I'm missing something obvious ...
    Try to delete map.rwm, located at "your TATW installation folder\data\world\maps\base" and see if it works . Also, check installation instrictions for TATW itself by ElvenKind, just in case. TBH, autodelete.bat could use an update - it erased Dol Guldur new strategic model from my install, and I had to add it back manually.

Also, some feedback about "Rebels in cool places" script.
    Is it possible to tone said script down somehow? I got that you wanted some battles in cinematic places, but it really messes up the campaigns. Particulary Fornost and Annuminas(although Thorin's halls, Mithlond, Dol Amroth and Dunharrow can be problems too, esp with AI). The rebels has a chance to spawn from turn 1(when their strengh is sizable), and attack immediately, giving no time to reinforce attacked settlement. In FPoE testing campaign I lost both Fornost and Annuminas to them within the first 2 turns(Annuminas to 5 units of goblin spears, Fornost - to 3 units of cave trolls, both cities were defended by starting garrisons), which was a crippling blow. I admit I'm not the best tactician around, but that was a bit much.

Also, something needs to be done with Dunharrow. Its worthless, being unique settlement(no upgrades), and a village, with no building capabilities and no ability to upkeep garrison. Turn it into castle or custom battlefield(preferrable for me)maybe or whatever?

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by Rora Lion View Post
    run autodelete.bat (I got a lot of "acces denied" messages) but can't launch a campaign, the game won't move from the main menu screen apart from some quick battles from where I can glimpse the newelven & dwarwen units but even there I've experienced frequent crashes.
    The autodelete.bat is a little bit problematic and honestly I dont know how to fix it. While it performs to delete some files, others are kept intact, and I dont know why. The old 3.2 Moria, for example, is kept no matter how many times I run the autodelete.bat, causing to game to load the old battlemap model instead of my new one.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariGhost View Post
    Try to delete map.rwm, located at "your TATW installation folder\data\world\maps\base" and see if it works . Also, check installation instrictions for TATW itself by ElvenKind, just in case.
    Yes, the map.rwm is probably causing it.

TBH, autodelete.bat could use an update - it erased Dol Guldur new strategic model from my install, and I had to add it back manually.
    LOL. Now I finaly know why the dol guldur strat map model was not working. Thanks for pointing me this out.

Also, some feedback about "Rebels in cool places" script.
    Is it possible to tone said script down somehow? I got that you wanted some battles in cinematic places, but it really messes up the campaigns. Particulary Fornost and Annuminas(although Thorin's halls, Mithlond, Dol Amroth and Dunharrow can be problems too, esp with AI). The rebels has a chance to spawn from turn 1(when their strengh is sizable), and attack immediately, giving no time to reinforce attacked settlement. In FPoE testing campaign I lost both Fornost and Annuminas to them within the first 2 turns(Annuminas to 5 units of goblin spears, Fornost - to 3 units of cave trolls, both cities were defended by starting garrisons), which was a crippling blow. I admit I'm not the best tactician around, but that was a bit much.
    Its true, and I knew it. Though my script has some limitations and I dont have the skills to modify it. It is possible to make the script to trigger only after turn 30 or anything like this, but I dont know how to make it. Maybe someone else could help.

Also, something needs to be done with Dunharrow. Its worthless, being unique settlement(no upgrades), and a village, with no building capabilities and no ability to upkeep garrison. Turn it into castle or custom battlefield(preferrable for me)maybe or whatever?
    Well... I think the way it is now is eaxcly what one could expect from it. I mean, in terms of lore and game functionality.

Unique settlement, yes, it must be to keep the unique battle model
    No upgradale, yes. What would it upgrade for?
    village, yes. Thats lore accurate. Not a castle.
    If its turned into a custom tile, it would not be able to garrison units or even procude the most simple units, so that would be lore offensive.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Ill try to fix everything.

by the way my autodelete.bat file is deleting the files correctly but not the folders.
    Could anyone please take a look?

Code:
    @echo offecho.
    del /F /Q data\world\maps\base\map.rwm
    del /F /Q data\text\*.strings.bin
    rmdir /S /Q "data\world\maps\custom\Dwarf Mountain"
    rmdir /S /Q "data\settlements\south_european\settlements\huge city"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\erebor\--- SEE south_european huge city --.txt"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.animinstances"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.world"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.worldcollision"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.worldpathfinding"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.worldterrain"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\elf_large_city_a.worldvegetation"
    rmdir /S /Q "data\settlements\unique_settlements\Elf_large_city\maps"
    del /F /Q "data\models_strat\residences\faction_variants\norway\northern_european_fortress.cas"
    del /F /Q "data\descr_geography_new.txt"
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\settlements\village
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\settlements\town
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\settlements\large_town
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\settlements\city
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\settlements\large_city
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\aztec\castles\stone_keep
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\north_european\settlements\huge_city
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\gondor\castles\wooden_fort
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\gondor\settlements\village
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\unique_settlements\moria
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\unique_settlements\orocarni
    del /F /Q "data\models_strat\residences\faction_variants\denmark\northern_european_large_town.cas"
    del /F /Q "data\models_strat\residences\eastern_european_fortress.cas"
    del /F /Q "data\models_strat\residences\faction_variants\denmark\textures\orocarni.tga"
    del /F /Q data\settlements\unique_settlements\mountain_fort\maps\overlays\tc_castle_mud_mask.texture
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\north_european\castles\fortress\orc_fortress_oog.worldpkgdesc"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\north_european\castles\fortress\orc_fortress_mordor.worldpkgdesc"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\east_european\settlements\village\orc_village_ne_mordor.worldpkgdesc"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\east_european\settlements\village\orc_village_ne_oomm.worldpkgdesc"
    del /F /Q "data\settlements\east_european\settlements\village\orc_village_ne_isengard.worldpkgdesc"
    rmdir /S /Q data\blockset\textures\faction_variations\teutonic_order
    rmdir /S /Q data\blockset\textures\faction_variations\portugal
    rmdir /S /Q data\blockset\textures\faction_variations\hre
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements\stone_fort_b
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements\stone_fort_c
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements\stone_fort_d
    rmdir /S /Q data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements\stone_fort_e
    echo.
    echo Game ready...
    pause.

Originally Posted by CalamariGhost

Well... I think the way it is now is eaxcly what one could expect from it. I mean, in terms of lore and game functionality.

Unique settlement, yes, it must be to keep the unique battle model
    No upgradale, yes. What would it upgrade for?
    village, yes. Thats lore accurate. Not a castle.
    If its turned into a custom tile, it would not be able to garrison units or even procude the most simple units, so that would be lore offensive.
    A very effective method to avoid wasting a settlement slot on Dunharrow, is to do what DaC has quite effectively done and just put a fort on Dunharrows location and use use a custom tile there which is the very same battlefield as the custom settlement and which allows troops to be garrisoned there. IMO it would be lore accurate as well since Dunharrow was little more than an encampment for an army that had a hole in a mountain for Aragorn to go explore. There was no settlement since folks were too scared of the Army of the Dead there, therefore could not produce any units.

I am going to be rereading your tutorial on custom tiles this weekend and try my hand at making other forts have a custom tile for a unique battle experience.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; August 23, 2019 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    A very effective method to avoid wasting a settlement slot on Dunharrow, is to do what DaC has quite effectively done and just put a fort on Dunharrows location and use use a custom tile there which is the very same battlefield as the custom settlement and which allows troops to be garrisoned there. IMO it would be lore accurate as well since Dunharrow was little more than an encampment for an army that had a hole in a mountain for Aragorn to go explore. There was no settlement since folks were too scared of the Army of the Dead there, therefore could not produce any units.

I am going to be rereading your tutorial on custom tiles this weekend and try my hand at making other forts have a custom tile for a unique battle experience.
    Thats indeed a good idea. And it could be used to places like weathertop and henneth anun.

Alongside with dunharrow, that would give me 3 extra settlement slots to place anywhere in the map ( I used the 199 limit in for my next release.)

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Thats indeed a good idea. And it could be used to places like weathertop and henneth anun.

Alongside with dunharrow, that would give me 3 extra settlement slots to place anywhere in the map ( I used the 199 limit in for my next release.)
    Almost wanted to mention Weathertop and Henneth Anun. Through, thanks to unique buildings from MOS and DaC, and some creativity I managed to give those two some usefulness. Only Dunharrow remained problematic. I think I'll try to change it into 1st level of castle and see what happens, as lore descruptions sound more like stronglod, hideout, and a muster ground for Rohan, which can be represented by castle, especially with Alternative patch changes to castles.

Btw, DaC implementation of Weathertop used as both custom tile and custom settlement. Initially its a standard village with Weathertop battlemap, with Weathertop custom tile(and fort) nearby. It can be upgraded to lose custom battlemap, but tile and fort remains the same.

And at last more feedback for the "Rebels in cool places" script. I discovered(after several crashes at the start as the western Dwarves), that Iron Hills part of it is broken. I could to launch campaign as dorfs only after removing it.

And at last more feedback for the "Rebels in cool places" script. I discovered(after several crashes at the start as the western Dwarves), that Iron Hills part of it is broken. I could to launch campaign as dorfs only after removing it.
    I noticed the crashes right after the ending of the loading when you hit start campaign, but they were sporadical and I did not notice it only happened when starting a campaign with dwarves.

Anyway I've re written this part of the script just in case.

Thanks.

Try to delete map.rwm, located at "your TATW installation folder\data\world\maps\base" and see if it works
    This worked perfectly. Thank you.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

You can expect for dozens of new custom settlements for my next release. (though they're all small-generic places or modifications of vanilla models)

New custom castles for evil and goodmen factions, new fort battlemap and stratmap models for all cultures, new strat map settlements for dale, changes in dale battlemap city models, new stone_keep batlemap model for men factions, lots of new small locations for all cultures (not sure if they will be custom tiles or villages) like ports, caves, farms, generic buildings, mines etc.

Temple settlements with custom battlemap models that gives bonuses the the faction owning it and bless generals who enters there, removing bad traits and adding good ones.

And more.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sounds promising! Any images?

Looking forward to it. I would say that custom tiles would have more overall use the custom settlements, but no matter what you do, it will be eagerly anticipated.

Ill post some screenshots soon.
    DO NOT expect for large settlements, they are all very small places. forts for example are very simple, just some walls and a gate and a few small buildings.

I still need help here.

Im creating new strat map models for resources.
    I've changed the grains to a farm, the apple (fruits) to a orchard, and the logs (timber) to a small building surrounded by the logs.

Im doing this because Im trying to make the strat map more realistical and beautiful, and finding an apple or a glass of wine or a pipe of weed in the fields while moving your army really does not help the immersion...

Vanilla resources are symbols. I want them to be buildings/structures.

So I need to change the other resources too, besides the ones I already quoted.
    This means I will actually need to change the resource name itself, because I dont think I will ever find a good building model or something to represent wine in strat map. That said, I would like to hear suggestions about new resources to replace the vanilla ones, resources that could be realistically represented in the strat map. Nothing comes to my mind at the moment. The results with the 3 I already changes are very good though.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You could ask for permission to use DaC resource models: https://imgur.com/a/xiDe9

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    You could ask for permission to use DaC resource models: https://imgur.com/a/xiDe9
    yes I checked it out and its awesome.
    Im going to use some of them.
    DAC team gave me permissions long ago, as well as I gave them permission to use my stuff.

Preview for 2.6 new villages and custom tiles for the ruins feature. (not all custom tiles are previewed, some are too simple to deserve an image here)

There is still the new castles but Im too tired now to load them ingame and take screenshots (would not be simple).
    So I think I will count on some of you guys to take screens later, after the release and send me.
    They are the old stone forts from med2 expansions anyway, but with some editing to fit middle earth.

Looking very nice!

I've been experiencing extreme suffering while trying to use a faction exclusively for the new ruins feature in my sub-mod, and no matter how much I tried, I cant achieve this.
    I followed this but still getting CTD when trying to start a campaign.

Basically, I need NORWAY as a HORDE faction implemented in my sub-mod and able to spawn armies during the campaign. I need it as horde so they dont need to have a settlement of their own to survive.

So everything is almost ready but Im stuck with this.
    Would some good soul join me and take this task?

You guys know me, I go as far as I can alone, but when things go out of my capacities reach, I need to ask for help.
    Besides, I've been preparing this last release for months and Im really exhausted now. But this doesn't mean I will stop, right now Im working in new custom tiles for Nogrod and Belegost, as well as a new generic settlement level for the dwarves.

If anyone is willing to show compassion and help poor leo's tormented soul, talk to me and I will send the files.
    I promise you guys will love the next release, it will bring a new life to TATW, trust me.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; September 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM.

OK guys I decided to release 2.6 as a beta version. Link is in the first post as always.
    The game is working normally but there is still part of the TEMPLES and RUINS features to be implemented.
    Check my previous comment here to see what I need and if you're willing to help, you can change the files and send me.
    Someone else already said he will try to help me, but the more help the better.